Page 53 of 606 FirstFirst ... 3 43 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 63 103 153 553 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Habs have a deep offensive team all the sudden. It lacks in top-end talent but has three productive lines.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Predators 1 (OT)

I missed the second half of the game because I watched the UFC show on Fox/Facebook. It was nice to see the Habs score a second road victory out west. This one was clearly another defensive struggle and Peter Budaj was up to the task with 25 saves (.962 save percentage). It's nice to see him not embarrass the team whenever they give Price a break.

David Desharnais, Erik Cole and Max Pacioretty continue to make a very potent line. They have been creating more chances than anyone else on the team since being put together. All three do a great job digging pucks along the boards to prolong possessions in the offensive zone which is key when it comes to tiring out the opposition's defence to score and/or draw penalties. Cole's stats are not pretty for the most part but he is doing a great job playing the unsung hero role of going to the net hard and coming back to help the defenders. This line provided both goals.

Scott Gomez was back in the lineup and only played 12 minutes. That's about where he should be given his production and effort dating back to last season. Let him work his way back up to the scoring lines and hopefully he will work harder this time.

I am not sure why the team continues to use Tomas Plekanec on the point for the power play. The team is not producing goals and they continuously get burned defensively. Granted Plekanec was not on the ice when the Preds scored their shorthanded marker (which BTW basically clinches my H2H win for the week but that's another story) but this is a theme that should not be repeating itself. Plekanec should be playing center and should be taking those face-offs, not Brian Gionta.

Mike Cammalleri returned and led the team with four shots.

In his last three games, PK Subban has two assists and is plus-4.

Josh Gorges had another assist and finished plus-2. Make that eight points and plus-9 in 16 games.

Dobber Sports Ace

Eric, I think I read somewhere (rotowire, I think) that Max Pac is playing with a sore or torn tendon in his wrist. Have you heard anything about this? If he is, he doesn't seem to be slowed down too much by it, but I wonder how this will affect him as the season wears on...
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 32/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Miller(RW), Vatrano(LW)
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Connor, E.Kane
    RW} Nichushkin(LW), Zuccarello, Rust
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} DeSmith, Daccord, Grubauer
    IR} Guentzel
    IR+} Demko

via GIPHY

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Two On One View Post
    Eric, I think I read somewhere (rotowire, I think) that Max Pac is playing with a sore or torn tendon in his wrist. Have you heard anything about this? If he is, he doesn't seem to be slowed down too much by it, but I wonder how this will affect him as the season wears on...
    The incident happened shortly before Halloween when he left a game after taking a hit and falling weird to the ice. At first there was a scare of him missing many games but he came back the next game and has not played any different. He played with fractured ribs at one point last year and played some of his best hockey. As long as he is not in danger of dying he should be a safe bet to suit up and play well.

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...gi?6214#269047

Administrator

For a more in-depth review of last night's game, see the following:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone...-last-night-33
    http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/max-pac-the-hero

Dobber Sports Veteran

Per Renaud Lavoie (rds):
    Gill (sick) is out for tonight vs Buffalo.
    Myers (healthy scratch) won't play either.
    Emelin will take Gill spot.
    Subban will be in, but he's not 100% (right arm).
    AK46 didn't skate today, won't be back.
    http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../125762/public (in French)
    Last edited by LeTrefle; November 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    Per Renaud Lavoie (rds):
    Gill (sick) is out for tonight vs Buffalo.
    Myers (healthy scratch) won't play either.
    Emelin will take Gill spot.
    Subban will be in, but he's not 100% (right arm).
    AK46 didn't skate today, won't be back.
    http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../125762/public (in French)
    Thanks!

Also, from TSN Ice Chips...

D Andrei Markov skated with the team this morning in Brossard. That is his first skate with the team. He was on the road trip in Phoenix and Nashville but was still skating on his own. - TSN

Defenceman Hal Gill is out tonight with the flu. -TSN

Projected Lines vs. Sabres

Forwards:
    Moen - Plekanec - Gionta
    Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
    Cammalleri - Eller - Palushaj
    Gomez - Nokelainen - Darchen

Defence:
    Gorges - Subban
    Spacek - Weber
    Diaz - Emelin

Goaltenders:
    Price
    Budaj

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Moen - Plekanec - Gionta
    Gomez - Nokelainen - Darchen
    Love Gomez on that 4th line! Let's hope some of that hard work from Darche rubs off and he skates like a bastard, maybe even creates some scoring from the bottom 3.

Don't mess with Pacioretty/Desharnais/Cole, that lines been really humming, and Gionta has really heated up recently, like the top 6 the way it is so far and that Cammy getting a chance to re-find his game with two hard workers.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Love Gomez on that 4th line! Let's hope some of that hard work from Darche rubs off and he skates like a bastard, maybe even creates some scoring from the bottom 3.

Don't mess with Pacioretty/Desharnais/Cole, that lines been really humming, and Gionta has really heated up recently, like the top 6 the way it is so far and that Cammy getting a chance to re-find his game with two hard workers.
    Like I've been saying, the Habs are deep up front. They are not doomed if a couple offensive players go down. Let's see how much of a boost Markov gives the team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    ...Cammy getting a chance to re-find his game with two hard workers.
    How is Cammy looking these days. I'm so fed up with his lack of production that I'm viable to do something rash. Any reason to be patient with him?
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    How is Cammy looking these days. I'm so fed up with his lack of production that I'm viable to do something rash. Any reason to be patient with him?
    He'll never get 80 in Montreal. Not a chance. He depends on other players doing the bulk of the work while he pulls a Brett Hull and sits in the slot. The talent is not there to push him to 80. With his injuries consider him a 45-60 player depending on the year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

No Cammy tonight (per rds) vs Buffalo.
    Engqvist called up.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Default Sabres 3, Canadiens 2 (SO)

Once again the game goes to overtime which is just perfect given my early work schedule. It was a strong game for the Habs for two periods and then the team basically fell apart.

Once again it was the trio of Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole carrying the bulk of the offence. Pacioretty and Cole each had a goal and an assist while Desharnais had an assist. I can't stress enough how these three fit so well together.

Cole in particular had an outstanding game using his determination and speed to draw some penalties. A lot of people questioned the signing, but as of right now if you put Cole (4.5 million) next to Brian Gionta (5 million) and Mike Cammalleri (5 million) which one do you take? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Carey Price had a great game in goal looking very sharp in the butterfly. But he has to be better in shootouts. There are standings points on the line and he hasn't stopped a single shootout attempt all season. He was a big part in earning the first point but that lost second point is on him.

PK Subban picked up an assist but has to be reminded that when in the defensive zone the first priority is defending his net.

Scott Gomez was back and played pretty well. He is playing more of a depth role 5-on-5 which suits him better. He still gets plenty of time with the man advantage.

Gionta needs to assert himself better. He is not terrible but far from good. Even though he's slumping he has to find ways to be more involved in the play.

Alexei Emelin had by far his best NHL game tonight. He delivered some solid hits and did a great job in front of his net.

Watching Paul Gaustad and Patrik Kaleta run around like punks looking to scrap was actually pretty funny to see. They were not helping their team at all. Gaustad had six penalty minutes.

Tomas Plekanec had another scare tonight as he went down after colliding with a linesman. At various points during the game he was crouched over on the bench, seeming to favour his back/ribs which is the point of his injury last game when he fell into the boards.

Aaron Palushaj only played eight minutes but was very effective.

Administrator

From TSN Ice Chips:

The Canadiens recalled Frederic St-Denis from the Hamilton Bulldogs on Tuesday. - Team Release

Tuesday's Practice Lines

Forwards:
    Moen - Plekanec - Gionta
    Nokelainen - Gomez - Darche

Defence:
    Gorges - Subban
    Emelin - Weber
    Diaz - Markov

Goaltenders:
    Price
    Budaj
    St. Denis will probably slide into Markov's practice spot which gives the team a ton of inexperience back there. Hal Gill and Jaro Spacek are not expected to play.

On the plus side, Mike Cammalleri is expected to play.

Administrator

Default Hurricanes 0, Canadiens 4

This game was another snooze fest, but not for the same reasons as some of the recent trap-heavy games. Tonight one team showed up and the other one put their jerseys on and didn't do much else. The 4-0 win is a great one for the Habs, but let's not kid ourselves, this victory was far more about how terrible the Hurricanes played than how well the Habs played.

Cam Ward was awful. So was Eric Staal. No wonder they're struggling. Their only good player was Jeff Skinner. That's a lot of coin to pay for cheerleaders.

Carey Price had less action than the lonely guy in the corner of the bar for the first 40 minutes. The good news is that once he was finally tested, he was up to the challenge. His positioning is outstanding right now.

It was nice to see Mike Cammalleri back in the lineup and to have his line (with Plekanec and Gionta) be productive. Cammy scored the first goal of the game after a brilliant clearing attempt from Price found Plekanec's stick in the neutral zone.

The only defenceman over 25 in the lineup was Josh Gorges. Everyone else was a sophmore or a rookie. Thankfully the opposition was not strong and the team jumped out to an early lead to take the burden off of the young group.

Alexei Emelin once again put up his best performance to date. His positioning is much improved and he is getting involved in the game (seven hits, seven blocked shots). He also did a great job battling the likes of Staal and Tuomo Ruutu around the net. There is definitely light at the end of this tunnel.

Scott Gomez is playing some good hockey since coming back from injury. He is getting less ice time 5-on-5 which in my opinion hides some of his shortcomings. This is similar to the benefits shown from having Andrei Kostitsyn play the third line. Gomez played 14 minutes and had an assist.

Frederic St-Denis was called up and played just under 14 minutes. He did not look out of place although his skill level is clearly behind the likes of Diaz and Emelin.

PK Subban is back on track with a goal and an assist. His goal was a perfect example of how he should play. There was some open ice in the middle, so he attacked and once he received a pass he fired a quick wrist shot. No need for a big slap shot to beat a goalie.

If you can afford it, find a way to stash Aaron Palushaj on your farm teams. He reminds me of David Desharnais in some ways, mainly in how much more comfortable he looks each time he gets called up. Once he gets a chance to produce he might surprise and stick.