Page 52 of 606 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 102 152 552 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Article on some Habs' prospects...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-future-9

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Habs sign Jarred Tinordi to three-year ELC:

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=598609

The website says the terms were not disclosed which means capgeek.com should have the cap figure shortly. I'll post when those details are available.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Great to see him rebound. Too bad I was cautious with him after his rough start and only played him in his first game this week and thus lost a few cats like W and SV but oh well.
    You benched him @Boston so you could dress Bobrovsky vs Winnepeg too?? And you didnt off yourself after? Good on ya.
    That was a rough night.

All my hockey friends were so down on Montreal a week ago, for obvious reasons. "They're just not very good" "They cant score" "D's too thin" etc....and I couldnt really argue any of it; all i could say was they'll find ways to win. And that's what they do. Great goaltending helps too.

Main reason I came here tho was to give some love to Jaro Spacek. I thought he was done-for last season but he's played damn well this month(compared to recent history).
    If they could ever get some luck and get Markov back, they'd quietly have 1 of the best D-corps in the East.
    10 Team Roto Keeper League; 20 Keepers;
    Stats: G,A,Pts,ppg,ppa,pims,+/- ; W,sv%,svs
    C: Seguin, Panarin, Carter
    LW: Benn, Hall, Buchnevich, Coyle, Zucker
    RW: Kane, Simmonds, Stone, Nino, Gallagher
    D: Subban, Doughty, Byfuglien, Jones, Mcdonagh, Fowler
    G: Price, Holtby, Halak, Reimer

Administrator

I still have no money figures regarding Tinordi but here's an article explaining the benefits of signing the guy as early as possible.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2630

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Senators 1

Often times I call out various players in these post-game reports but tonight I'm declaring that the Sens' fans did not show up tonight. I actually thought the Habs were playing a home game.

The Habs have returned to their old form playing sound defensive hockey. The shot total was a bit high but the quality of scoring chances against Carey Price was quite low. On top of that their forechecking was excellent and was directly responsible for both goals scored.

Price was outstanding in this game. He was only beat once on 34 shots and when his focus is at this level the team will not lose often. His combo of saves late in the second just before the Michalek goalie interference penalty was something to see.

The first goal was scored by forcing a turnover at the Sens' blueline. Mike Cammalleri set up Erik Cole for the first goal of the game.

The second goal was scored when Erik Karlsson was pressured and fired a terrible pass up the middle that went straight to Lars Eller. He and Andrei Kostitsyn were alone on the goalie and Kostitsyn scored the game winner. Eller still makes mistakes but his talent level and confidence are at an all-time high right now. He looks like a real jewel for the future. He is definitely worth the investment for keeper leagues.

Andrei Kostitsyn is quietly playing very well. He and Eller have a strong chemistry and AK's flaws and cloaked in a role with less pressure. Make that eight points in 12 games.

I once again throw the question to you guys: Where does Scott Gomez fit in once he returns?

In my opinion, for the time being he doesn't touch the top three lines. None of those players deserve a demotion and frankly the fourth line has been solid too. I could see him rotate with Mike Blunden depending on the opponent. Blunden could face "tougher" teams while Gomez could be matched up against quicker teams. I can't see him getting more than that because I don't see any red flags in the lineup at the moment. Of course, an injury could strike the team and Gomez could logically slide into that spot.

Also, once Andrei Markov returns, which defenceman gets scratched?

I noticed that both Max Pacioretty and Brian Gionta looked lost on the ice. Both are struggling, I know Pac is playing hurt and I believe Gionta is as well. But they were the stand-out low points among the key players. They are still working hard though so I am not worried.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 3, Rangers 5

The Canadiens have not lost in a while so this was bound to happen. The effort was there for the most part but some mistakes along with the zebras were enough to sway a close game. They did a good job crawling back into the game but tonight was an example that once you fall behind 3-0 there is no margin for error at any position.

Normally I don't complain about the officials but tonight they were awful. They reffed the game like a typical NBA game - they make calls based on the momentum. In the first it was all calls against the Habs, then in the second when the Habs showed some life they called a few in a row against the Rangers before finishing with a cheesy call against Subban for snow-washing Lundqvist.

Carey Price had his worst game in some time. He made a lot of nice saves but also allowed a couple that he should've stopped. The fourth goal was especially bad both in terms of the weak shot being let in and with the awful timing. The Habs clawed their way to make the game 3-2 and Price puts the Rangers back up by two. The team kept pushing but it was too much to overcome in the end.

The Cammalleri-Plekanec-Gionta line was productive but they make a lot of mistakes to go along with the points. All three have their lazy moments on the ice and this line tends to be caught in its own end for long stretches.

I hate seeing Erik Cole blanked from the score sheet again because he deserves better. He is playing extremely well in all areas of the game. He is very fast and can create a ton of chances when he takes the puck hard to the slot. An underrated asset in his game is how quickly he back-checks to help the defenders in the transition game.

Max Pacioretty had a goal and seven shots but I still think there's a bit of jump missing in his game. Perhaps his injury is bothering him more than we think. He is working hard though and making the most out of his situation. His goal was crucial because it finally put the Canadiens on the board and gave the team some life.

Andrei Kostitsyn had a power play goal tonight. He hasn't been getting much time with the man advantage so I thought it was worth a mention.

Lars Eller did not get any points but looks great shorthanded. He is quick on the forecheck and when he has the puck he uses his stickhandling skills to hold onto the puck and kill additional time.

The Habs basically reverted to three lines after Mike Blunden and Petteri Nokelainen were taken off for fighting majors. Nokelainen was ejected and I think Blunden had one other shift after serving his time.

The Blunden hit that led to the fights should not have been a penalty. It was body on body and the puck was there. How does he get called for interference? On top of that they gave the Habs a too many men on the ice penalty to put them down 5-on-3. That was a real blunder that put a negative stamp early in the game.

Most of the Habs' penalties were deserved though. High sticks and lazy hooks are easy to call. Would have been nice to see them called on both sides consistently though.

Next game: Tuesday vs Edmonton.

Administrator

Default Oilers 3, Canadiens 1

Today I had a long day at work and had a lot of stuff to do once I got home. Naturally my mind was not as much into it as normal when the game came on. Apparently I wasn't the only one that was not into it because the Canadiens put up an offensive dud this evening.

The chances were there but the timing and concentration was sorely lacking. Some of the players were just not ready to play. Three players that I am singling out tonight are Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta and Erik Cole.

Plekanec was awful even though he had an assist. He looked disinterested and made several key turnovers, including one that resulted in Ryan Jones' shorthanded goal and a blind pass that set up the empty-net goal to seal the game. Both he and Gionta were attempting blind or low-percentage passes all night which slowed the momentum of the game.

Does anyone know why Plekanec is still playing the point on the power play? The team has PK Subban, Jaro Spacek, Yannick Weber and Rafael Diaz. Use those four and let Plek play up front. In my opinion very few forwards can actually play the point effectively and Plekanec is not one of them.

In Cole's case he had five shots and four hits but his decision making on key plays was not very good. He was also spending too much time on the perimeter when on the power play.

PK Subban had a strong rebound game with one assist while being very involved in the play from start to finish. He was doing the little things well at both ends and the reward was a lot of chances being generated from his stick.

Alexei Emelin finally showed the rugged play that made him such a coveted prospect. He had four hits in about 11 minutes of ice time. This type of output can give the team an added dimension that will help them in the more chippy contests.

Defensively the team was fine for the most part. The Oilers only had 13 shots on goal but like usual in these low-shot affairs the few quality chances end up counting which brings the goalie's numbers down.

Andrei Kostitsyn missed the game.

Dobber Sports Sage

I came to ask you if you knew why Kostitsyn missed the game. Was he a healthy scratch or is there some minor injury I'm not aware of?
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    I came to ask you if you knew why Kostitsyn missed the game. Was he a healthy scratch or is there some minor injury I'm not aware of?
    The best info I have is that he left practice early with an undisclosed injury. It could be anything from a groin pull to a heart attack.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Here is some better info regarding AK...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...6-on-the-shelf

Dobber Sports Sage

Thanks a lot Eric!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 3, Coyotes 2 (OT)

I'm posting the game report this morning for a few reasons. One, it's a late game and I have to get up for work. Two, I had a car appointment so I had to get up even earlier. Three, I was beat up tired and just wanted to sleep after what was mostly a snooze fest of a game.

Of course this game had to go to overtime given the circumstances...

To me the player of the game was Brian Gionta who had a strong outing while breaking a lot of bad habits. He finished with a goal and an assist with five shots. If you have a chance check out his goal. It was as great of a takeaway as you will ever see. He made Boyd Gordon look really bad on that play.

Carey Price was back to being himself. That is, he kept the team in the game from start to finish. Neither of the goals that beat him were his wrongdoing. The first came after a sequence of awful defensive plays and the second was on a rebound right in front of his cage.

I must say that I am not impressed with Alexei Emelin. Sure, he can dish out some great hits, but his defensive awareness would get him in trouble if he was playing for the Bulldogs. He is constantly out of position which leads to scoring chances and even breakaways. I find he is too aggressive playing the puck in the neutral zone and fails to read the situation before making his play. His defensive partner is Jaro Spacek who is not a great skater so the last thing Emelin should do is put Spacek in a position where he has to scramble to cover for mistakes. Emelin is a great skater though and if he can just learn to sit back and play it safe he will see tremendous improvement.

Josh Gorges is really impressing me. He is starting to look like a competent offensive dman. He makes good reads and gets shots on net. He scored the OT winner in this game and has seven points in 15 games. His point total matches last year's output in 36 games and is on pace for 38 points which would greatly exceed his career-high of 23.

Max Pacioretty and Erik Cole were terrors in the Coyotes' end all game. Both players failed to get any points but they combined for nine shots and were responsible for using their size to prolong the time in the offensive zone.

If Travis Moen had a scoring touch he could clear 30 goals every year. He gets so many chances and works hard but rarely can he finish plays. Last night he did score but missed on a few other open cages.

PK Subban didn't have any points but played an excellent game. He finished plus-3. He and Gorges are forming an excellent top pair.

Andrei Kostitsyn and Mike Cammalleri missed the game while Yannick Weber played up front and Aaron Palushaj was called up.

Next up: Saturday night in Nashville.

Administrator

Budaj gets the nod on Saturday and Gomez returns to the lineup. There is room for Gomez given the injuries but he has to show something now because the center position is suddenly strong in depth.

Dobber Sports Veteran

With Cammy and AK46 missing, here are the line combos from this morning skate.
    Moen-Plekanec-Gionta
    Cole-Desharnais-Pacioretty,
    Darche-Eller-Blunden
    Gomez-Nokelainen-Palushaj
    I'm glad Martin didn't move any centers to make room for Gomez.
    Let's see what he can do starting on the 4th line wing...
    Let's see if those lines will stay until tomorrow game...
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Veteran

Per RDS http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/329938.html
    Cammalleri should play tonight vs Nashville

"Michael Cammalleri devrait être du match également après avoir raté la dernière partie en raison d'une blessure Ã* un genou."

"Michael Cammalleri should be in for the game after missing the last one due to a knee injury."
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]