Page 51 of 606 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 61 101 151 551 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Padawan

I've only watched maybe 2-3 Canadiens games (have Pacioretty in my league so I like watching my players) but Raphael Diaz seems to be very steady and with a solid offensive upside. Seemingly came out of no where, similar to Chris Tanev for the Canucks (I compare everything to the nucks).

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on Diaz so far and what people think longer term role and capability with the Canadiens could be.

Dobber Sports Stud

Diaz is pretty much Streit 2.0. He has a booming shot that just needs some accuracy
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Brady19 View Post
    I've only watched maybe 2-3 Canadiens games (have Pacioretty in my league so I like watching my players) but Raphael Diaz seems to be very steady and with a solid offensive upside. Seemingly came out of no where, similar to Chris Tanev for the Canucks (I compare everything to the nucks).

I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on Diaz so far and what people think longer term role and capability with the Canadiens could be.
    Quote Originally Posted by potatoetree View Post
    Diaz is pretty much Streit 2.0. He has a booming shot that just needs some accuracy
    Diaz has a lot of work to be done if he's going to turn onto another Mark Streit. Streit is similar in style but he showed a much more dynamic game once he received more minutes with the Islanders. Not only is he one of the most skilled defencemen in the NHL, he also has a physical side and plenty of defensive awareness which makes him the ideal player to handle top minutes. He wouldn't be putting up such great offensive numbers if he didn't earn all of those minutes on the ice.

I personally see Diaz as "Yannick Weber 2.0" in terms of his prospect value. Both are similar in size and style and if one was to evaluate both today in terms of the Dobber-labeled "long-term upside" and "3YP" I think you'll get similar answers for both. It's just too early to tell if either young dman can evolve enough to become a top defenceman. They might be better off as support players who provide solid offensive numbers.

Either way I think both players have been among the positives of the team this season. Both have been far from perfect but they are doing the best that they can given the circumstances.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Some more articles for you guys to read. First, regarding the Bruins matchup tonight: http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...-from-hangover

On Price winning #100: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...834/story.html

On Perry Pearn: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...830/story.html

French article on last night's game: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...2_section_POS4

Dobber Sports Icon

Who is BK_Dobber Nation on Twitter?

I ask because he just made some remarks about Cole that, imho, are mis-informed:

"BK_DobberNation Erik Cole once again looking terribly out of place after leaving Carolina. #Habs learning what #Oilers (and I, of course) already knew."

"@BK_DobberNation That was my #1 reason for pegging Cole to decline in the guide. Send him back to Carolina. He and Staal miss each other."

Obviously hasn't seen thel ast few games where he's finally earned playing time and been on the PP, he's been dynamic and dangerous.

I always thought that "he can't play for any team but the Canes, due to the Oilers experience" was a crock.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

I ask because he just made some remarks about Cole that, imho, are mis-informed:

"BK_DobberNation Erik Cole once again looking terribly out of place after leaving Carolina. #Habs learning what #Oilers (and I, of course) already knew."

"@BK_DobberNation That was my #1 reason for pegging Cole to decline in the guide. Send him back to Carolina. He and Staal miss each other."

Obviously hasn't seen thel ast few games where he's finally earned playing time and been on the PP, he's been dynamic and dangerous.

I always thought that "he can't play for any team but the Canes, due to the Oilers experience" was a crock.
    That's the guy who does the Dobber Nation radio show. I saw the tweets and don't agree at all with his assessment of Cole either. He just played his best two games with the Habs after finally getting reasonable minutes on the ice. I think it's yet another example of people taking a small sample of data (10% of the season played so far) and drawing a conclusion.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

Holy crow man! I though the exact same thing! Cole was awesome last night, finally DRIVING the net and skating with speed. BK dobberNation must be on serious crack.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Bruins 1

Wow, a winning streak. It's been a while. Although Carey Price was not named the first star on RDS or on the official boxscore, I felt he was the difference. The lone goal that beat him was a terrible read off a faceoff where Plekanec basically took a page out of the McCabe book. But Price regrouped and was flawless the rest of the way. His focus is scary at times.

Plekanec also scored a goal in the Bruins' net in the third which ended up being the game winner. He finally arrived and played a solid game.

Erik Cole was once again outstanding. Not only is he big, fast and skilled, he also works very hard. He was incredibly useful while the Habs were protecting the lead. He added the first goal for the Canadiens in the second on a deflection while driving to the net.

PK Subban and Brad Marchand had an interesting feud going on tonight. At one point Marchand basically jumped Subban from behind which was the first time they had matching minors. They both went off again before they finally fought to settle the score. Well, sort of. Not much happened during the fight other than the bigger and stronger Subban dragging Marchand around for a while.

I have to give props to Jaro Spacek. He had a rough start but settled in and was outstanding on defence. He had an assist and blocked six shots.

Not sure what's happening with Josh Gorges but he added another assist tonight. He has six assists in 10 games. He is a defence-first player but I'm intrigued to see if he has any offensive upside. I would consider him short-term in one year leagues.

Considering how David Desharnais and Lars Eller are playing, where do you guys see Scott Gomez fitting in when he returns?

One final note, the Habs moved ahead of the Bruins in the standings tonight. Can they make it three in a row on Saturday?

Administrator

Markov's return gets closer...

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379110

Administrator

Rumor has it that tomorrow night Brad Marchand will sit on a crazy carpet and Subban will drag him around the ice all game. They did it once... might as well go all the way!

Administrator

Perry Pearn interviewed about his firing:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/10/28/dixon_pearn/

Administrator

Default Bruins 2, Canadiens 4

Make it three in a row! The Habs played an outstanding game as a team and were by far the best team on the ice tonight led by solid goaltending and a great forecheck.

Carey Price turned aside 26 of 28 for the win. Aside from a soft goal that temporarily made the game 3-2 he was simply great in front of the cage. His rebound control and focus were the difference.

Price's buddy PK Subban had an awful game. He drew a couple penalties but turned the puck over a lot and was partially to blame for the late Bruins' goal when he was out of position. Rather than trying to protect the lead he was more interested in trying to get even with Patrice Bergeron as the two were exchanging cross-checks. Terrible play.

Erik Cole didn't have any points but once again had a great game. His speed and tenacity were real difference makers. He was a nightmare for Bruins' defenders and also had several chances to score. He was the catalyst of the David Desharnais power play goal as he did a great job in front of the net creating space.

I like the job done by Mathieu Darche, Petteri Nokelainen and Mike Blunden. They lack in skill but not in effort and grit. They did a good job countering the physical game of the opposing team.

Jaroslav Spacek blocked 7 shots tonight but left the game at one point. I can't remember if he returned. He only played 15 minutes total so I assume he did not return.

Desharnais and Lars Eller are possibly pushing Scott Gomez down the depth chart. Their level of play has been several levels higher. Desharnais is especially ready to take the next step. He did a great job finishing on a power play goal and was excellent in the back-checking game, an area where Mr. Gomez comes up way short.

Eller had a great start to the game but made some key mistakes as the game went on. He scored the second goal for the Habs on a high wrist shot but then had a horrible giveaway (should've been a hooking call but oh well) and later took a bad penalty. Overall his game is progressing very well and he has developed a great chemistry with Andrei Kostitsyn.

Kostitsyn has 7 points in 11 games. Pretty good start to the season and his reduction in role on the team is masking some of his shortcomings.

Tomas Plekanec had a great game with a goal and an assist while being a leader in the two-way game. It's nice to see him play well after a sluggish start.

Brian Gionta had a great game stats-wise but at times made poor plays, particularly on the PK, that put the team in trouble. He has to be stronger on the puck when trying to clear the zone. A team that is so undersized cannot afford to have prolonged shifts in the defensive zone.

On the plus side, Gionta had a goal, +1, 2 PIM, 2 SOG, 2 shots, 2 blocked shots, 2 hits and 3 face-offs won. Not bad overall.

Travis Moen is turning into an intriguing roto player for deep leagues. If your league uses NHL salaries then he is not as appealing but in 11 games he has 4 goals, 2 assists, 22 PIM, 22 hits, 17 shots and 7 blocked shots.

Yannick Weber has 5 points in 11 games and is +6. Another impressive start. He tends to settle down once he sees consistent minutes and tends to struggle when he's in and out of the press box. Keep him in the lineup.

Is anyone surprised to see Claude Julien throw Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell out there after the empty-net goal to look for trouble in the final 12 seconds of the game? I thought the NHL has rules to prevent that stuff...

Administrator

For your reading and listening pleasure, I bring you a couple items from hockeysfuture.com covering the Habs...

Prospect depth chart analysis: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ysis_fall2011/

Podcast with Brendan Gallagher: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...couver_giants/

Administrator

Carey Price named NHL's first star of the week...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/nhl-honours-price

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Carey Price named NHL's first star of the week...

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/nhl-honours-price
    Great to see him rebound. Too bad I was cautious with him after his rough start and only played him in his first game this week and thus lost a few cats like W and SV but oh well.