Page 49 of 606 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 59 99 149 549 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    This is such a meh move I don't even know what to say about it. Is Nokelainen a big face off guy? I hope so. I know he definitely brings some grit.
    It is a meh move. I think he is decent on faceoffs but he has 35 points in 194 career games. He might bring something but adding another 4th line forward will not solve any issues. They don't want Palushaj to play 6 minutes a night so they make a trade for a guy to play 6 minutes a night???

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Has anyone else here caught wind of some fans calling for a suspension for Gionta's collision with Reimer? I know Ron Wilson hinted at a possible head shot but that is understandable because he has to stick up for his guy. But then I read comments on TSN and Youtube (I know, terrible sources for 'good' comments, but still) saying the play needs to be reviewed.

I just don't see it. Reimer is coming out while Gionta is making a play on the puck. Hence the collision. At worst it's 2 for interference, which is what it was. For the record I don't think Phaneuf caused the collision between the two, that part happened at about the same time and IMO did not influence the fact that the collision took place to begin with.

Thoughts?

Administrator

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=597255

Nokelainen, Blunden and Budaj make their debuts. Spacek returns. Palushaj and Engqvist sent to Hamilton.

Edit: Emelin will watch the game from the press box.
    Last edited by ericdaoust; October 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Reason No 96 why I hate being forced to watch the non-Habs telecasts of Habs games on NHL Center Ice, especially the telecasts from the "non-traditional" hockey markets.

On the Panthers feed, they just showed Henri Richard (owner of the most Stanley Cup rings in NHL history) signing autographs, and the announcers said something like this:

"Well, when they name a trophy after you, people are going to want your autograph, here is Maurice the Rocket Richard...".

Come on guys, The Rocket died in 2000.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Reason No 96 why I hate being forced to watch the non-Habs telecasts of Habs games on NHL Center Ice, especially the telecasts from the "non-traditional" hockey markets.

On the Panthers feed, they just showed Henri Richard (owner of the most Stanley Cup rings in NHL history) signing autographs, and the announcers said something like this:

"Well, when they name a trophy after you, people are going to want your autograph, here is Maurice the Rocket Richard...".

Come on guys, The Rocket died in 2000.
    You only have 96 reasons to hate them????

Yeah this one is bad. Very brutal on their part.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Habbies look lethargic and boring tonight. Gonna be a long year folks.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Icon

Cole looking good and dangerous out there, perhaps because Martin finally giving him some minutes, a whopping 20 with 6 to go in the 3rd, and some PP time. Finally.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Markstrom stole the win tonight, Habs came on strong in the final minutes but Markstrom was a wall. Great young tender. Habs lose another heartbreaker, but with 40SOG it can't go down as a poor effort. It gets tough now to undo this losing streak, Boston twice and Philly once, oy...

Dobber Sports Stud

Any news on max pac? he left the game after getting tangled on the boards?
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Padawan

#FailforNail is trending in Montreal...

I'm one of the most optimistic fan there is, but it really starts to be worrying!!

Markov can't come back soon enough, otherwise the hill will be too steep to climb. (See exhibit A: 2010-11 New Jersey Devils)

Administrator

Default Panthers 2, Canadiens 1

This is getting depressing.

But I'll start with some positives anyway. Most of you remember Jacques Martin saying a couple days ago that people should do their research about Erik Cole before criticizing his decision to use Mathieu Darche on the man advantage. Well, with all research projects (including my just-completed masters thesis) there is always a section that outlines opportunities for future research to expand on what has been done. Well, tonight some additional research was done and Erik Cole is actually a good option to use on the PP. Cole stood in front of Markstrom and deflected a point shot by Rafael Diaz for the Habs' line goal of the evening.

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line was the best one this evening. All three are strongly built and are very good at grinding along the boards to dig out pucks and extend the play to generate more scoring opportunities. Pacioretty appeared to hurt his shoulder during the game and did not return. I'll have more when the news comes out.

Newcomers Petteri Nokelainen and Mike Blunden had a sequence in the first period where both lost their stick at the same time in the defensive zone. This made me wonder if it was just a case of their stick collection arriving late at the arena tonight. The duo began throwing body checks at whoever had the puck and the puck eventually made its way out of the zone to permit a line change.

Mike Cammalleri was a giveaway machine tonight. On the first power play he lost the puck twice which enabled the Panthers to dump the puck down the ice. Late in the first he had a terrible coughing-up of the puck that directly led to the Panthers tying the game. But most costly was yet another turnover in the dying seconds of the game which sealed the victory for the Panthers.

Is it just me or are Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta invisible?

PK Subban had a strong night. Seems like every time he rushes the puck up ice there's a quality scoring chance. That's your next research project Mr. Martin.

Petr Budaj was solid in goal. No complaints from me. IMO if a goalie allows two goals or less his team should win. Or at least in that case the goalie and/or defenders did enough at that end to pick up the W. Unfortunately the offence cannot bury any chances. Markstrom was great at the other end but the team really lacks the scoring instinct needed to find the openings.

The fact that the team generated a ton of shots once again is somewhat encouraging although it was against the lowly Panthers. But the real problem is that the boys are not getting it done and are leaving precious points on the table. I'm just glad that next game is against another crappy team so the team can get a ton of shots again. Bring on the Fly...nevermind.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Habbies look lethargic and boring tonight. Gonna be a long year folks.
    They tend to shut it down once they fall behind. That's a concern that I didn't cover in the game report.

Cole looking good and dangerous out there, perhaps because Martin finally giving him some minutes, a whopping 20 with 6 to go in the 3rd, and some PP time. Finally.
    Cole does look good when he gets used. I really like the player despite what his critics say.

Markstrom stole the win tonight, Habs came on strong in the final minutes but Markstrom was a wall. Great young tender. Habs lose another heartbreaker, but with 40SOG it can't go down as a poor effort. It gets tough now to undo this losing streak, Boston twice and Philly once, oy...
    Sadly the efforts are leaving too many points on the table. It looks good but effort doesn't translate in the standings unless the results are there.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoetree View Post
    Any news on max pac? he left the game after getting tangled on the boards?
    Nothing yet but he's better with one arm than half the team. Bring him back!

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    #FailforNail is trending in Montreal...

I'm one of the most optimistic fan there is, but it really starts to be worrying!!

Markov can't come back soon enough, otherwise the hill will be too steep to climb. (See exhibit A: 2010-11 New Jersey Devils)
    The Markov thing gets more puzzling to me by the day. When they let Hamrlik go it made some sense in my eyes because of course Markov would be back. Instead the Habs don't get one or the other.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Concerning Pacioretty:

According to Martin McGuire, it is a serious wrist injury...

Like the habs needed that...

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    This is getting depressing.

But I'll start with some positives anyway. Most of you remember Jacques Martin saying a couple days ago that people should do their research about Erik Cole before criticizing his decision to use Mathieu Darche on the man advantage. Well, with all research projects (including my just-completed masters thesis) there is always a section that outlines opportunities for future research to expand on what has been done. Well, tonight some additional research was done and Erik Cole is actually a good option to use on the PP. Cole stood in front of Markstrom and deflected a point shot by Rafael Diaz for the Habs' line goal of the evening.

The Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole line was the best one this evening. All three are strongly built and are very good at grinding along the boards to dig out pucks and extend the play to generate more scoring opportunities. Pacioretty appeared to hurt his shoulder during the game and did not return. I'll have more when the news comes out.

Newcomers Petteri Nokelainen and Mike Blunden had a sequence in the first period where both lost their stick at the same time in the defensive zone. This made me wonder if it was just a case of their stick collection arriving late at the arena tonight. The duo began throwing body checks at whoever had the puck and the puck eventually made its way out of the zone to permit a line change.

Mike Cammalleri was a giveaway machine tonight. On the first power play he lost the puck twice which enabled the Panthers to dump the puck down the ice. Late in the first he had a terrible coughing-up of the puck that directly led to the Panthers tying the game. But most costly was yet another turnover in the dying seconds of the game which sealed the victory for the Panthers.

Is it just me or are Tomas Plekanec and Brian Gionta invisible?

PK Subban had a strong night. Seems like every time he rushes the puck up ice there's a quality scoring chance. That's your next research project Mr. Martin.

Petr Budaj was solid in goal. No complaints from me. IMO if a goalie allows two goals or less his team should win. Or at least in that case the goalie and/or defenders did enough at that end to pick up the W. Unfortunately the offence cannot bury any chances. Markstrom was great at the other end but the team really lacks the scoring instinct needed to find the openings.

The fact that the team generated a ton of shots once again is somewhat encouraging although it was against the lowly Panthers. But the real problem is that the boys are not getting it done and are leaving precious points on the table. I'm just glad that next game is against another crappy team so the team can get a ton of shots again. Bring on the Fly...nevermind.

Good write-up Eric.

For those who did not read of (or hear) Martin's condescending comments during the post-game press conference, here is a good article on the subject, from the AllHabs blog:

Keeping Them Honest €“ Jacques Martin
    AllHabs | October 23, 2011 | Comments (7) Written by Rick Stephens, AllHabs.net

MONTREAL, QC. €” The coach€™s post-game presser. Usually it€™s a perfunctory exercise attended with an equal lack of enthusiasm by the media and the bench boss alike.

It€™s a little like having to dance with an ex at a social event. Both go through the motions until the song ends, neither party enjoys it, although there is a certain familiarity.

For the Montreal media and Jacques Martin, the script goes something like this:

Reporter: What happened coach?
    Martin: We weren€™t ready to compete tonight. The compete level wasn€™t there.
    Reporter: Where were the breakdowns?
    Martin: We stopped playing the system.
    Reporter: Where do you go from here?
    Martin: The key is special teams and limiting opponent€™s chances. If we stick to the game plan, we€™ll be alright.

After each of 82 regular season games for the past two-plus years, the dance hasn€™t varied much from the template. For the priviledge of hearing the same thing over-and-over, in two languages, the team has sacrificed selecting a coach who might actually have an impact on the ice €” just a minor inconvenience in the eyes of some.

So what happened when an up-start rookie reporter, Jessica Rusnak, didn€™t follow the rules and asked the one question that fans everywhere were screaming at their flat panels? €œWhy the hell is Mathieu Darche playing the power-play?€

She said it far more politely.

€œJacques, what€™s the thought process behind having Mathieu Darche on the power-play and having a guy like Erik Cole on the bench?€ €” Jessica Rusnak
    .Well, first of all, the members of the complicit media hid under their chairs. They wouldn€™t want to jeopardize their chance at asking a question €” useless press conference or not. The coach gave a condescending laugh, and then proceeded to enviserate the young reporter in a way she wouldn€™t soon forget €” at least enough to prevent her from asking a meaningful question again.

Afterward, Ms. Rusnak admitted to being shaken up. Some of her colleagues, rather than stand up for her, sympathized with the stresses of being a coach and suggested that a quiet apology was in order away from all the microphones and cameras. Yes, as if it never happened.

What was fascinating to me is that by veering away from predictable questions, the reporter was able to run the press conference off the rails €” like a needle being dragged across vinyl putting an abrupt end to the dance. Martin became unglued like Obama off his teleprompter.

€œ[mocking laugh] If you look at your stats last year, how many goals did Erik Cole score on the power-play? So maybe I do some work. I think that he€™s had an opportunity. Mathieu Darche does a good job in front of the net. So that€™s the perogative of being the coach. It€™s always important to do the research.€ €” Jacques Martin
    .The coach€™s reply was very condescending to the rookie reporter. Rusnak said that she felt that he was teaching her a lesson and she didn€™t like being yelled at. She wasn€™t able to answer Martin€™s question but the answer is three €” the number of power play goals by Cole last season.

That just happens to be the same number of power-play goals by Darche in his career €” he had two goals last season and one two years ago. Cole has 43 power-play goals in his career. So it would seem that the arrogant coach hasn€™t done his research.

Besides, if Darche was doing such a good job in front of the net wouldn€™t the Canadiens power-play be clicking at a better than 2-for-29 success rate? Again, the coach is trying to claim something that doesn€™t coincide with the numbers.

Tonight, Darche played 3:12 on the power-play.

That€™s more than Max Pacioretty and Andrei Kostitsyn, two players with size who also possess a better shot and touch than Darche. Cole, the major off-season acquisition, didn€™t get any power-play time. Lars Eller, the best skater for the Canadiens, by far, had only 12 seconds of icetime when the Habs had the man advantage.

Despite evidence to the contrary, the coach stubbornly held to the notion that his personnel choices were correct.

€œI thought we saw some encouraging signs on the power play, I thought we got the puck at the net more and battled in front, which is what we need to do.€ €” Jacques Martin
    .Actually what they need to do is score. The power-play was 0-for-4 tonight while Toronto scored twice with the man advantage. So much for winning the special teams battle.

On a night when Hal Gill was being recognized for having played 1000 games, again fingers were being pointed at the trio of rearguards who have played a small number of NHL games. When the coach was asked about it, he said €œThat€™s twice now we€™ve lost the lead in the third period. I think there€™s inexperience (on the blue-line), sometimes, that€™s part of the learning process.€

Is the coach correct? As he suggests, let€™s do the research. We€™ll look at the Canadiens defensemen and the number of goals scored by the Leafs when they were on the ice.

Hall Gill €” 3 goals against
    Josh Gorges €” 2
    P.K. Subban €” 2
    Raphael Diaz €” 2
    Yannick Weber €” 1
    Alexei Yemelin €” 0

This result is almost inversely proportional to the number of NHL games played, which is exactly the opposite of what the coach said. On the season, Weber leads the team with a plus-4 ranking while the more experienced P.K. Subban is at minus-6.

If we simply look at Toronto€™s tying and winning goals, we find that Gorges, Subban, Gill, and Diaz were on the ice. That€™s three of the Canadiens most experienced defensemen on the ice. Again the coach hasn€™t done his research €” he€™s just flat wrong.

Perhaps when Martin began his NHL coaching career more than 25 years ago, he could make false claims and not have them challenged. Now with greater access to statistics, more recording equipment and a legion of fact checkers, it€™s much more difficult.

The game has passed the coach by and he isn€™t ready to admit it. We have heard him say many times that his team plays a puck posession game €” how many of you believe it?

Tonight, Martin told us that the power-play is working well, Darche is a special teams stud, and that inexperienced defensemen are to blame as the losses pile up. And he said it in a way to suggest €˜Who are you going to believe, me or your lying eyes?€™

There is an angry, increasingly vocal fanbase who aren€™t buying what the coach is selling. And my guess is that they won€™t go as quietly as Martin€™s dance partners."
    Last edited by ross10019; October 26, 2011 at 1:07 PM.

Administrator

In some hopefully more positive news, here is an article discussing Habs prospects:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/habs-future-8