Page 37 of 606 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 47 87 137 537 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Icon

I really like where this team is headed.

Things I'd like to see, to make them that much of a playoff squad:

- Sign a good 4th line faceoff guy, hitter, at a bargain price.
    - At trade deadline, perhaps sign a solid vet shutdown Dman with playoff experience.

I'd also be really pissed if they DON'T sign Carey to an extension by January. This facking policy of not negotiating extensions during the season is ASININE! Sign him to a 6 year $40M deal now!!!

Concerns:

- Obviously health of Gorges and Markov, and also Cole and Pacioretty.
    - Physicall fitness and compete level of Gomez. If he comes into camp in the best shape of his life, watch out, now we've got the makings of two excellent offensive lines with speed and grit (Cole/Pacioretty), and if Eller/AK46 can continue their chemistry from the playoffs, a solid young 3rd line too.

I have the Habs finishing 5th, behind the Bruins (at 3rd) and the Sabers (at 4th). Yes, I think that this division will have three of the top teams in the conference. I see Washington and Pittsburgh maintaining their position and the Flyers falling back. The only wildcard is the Rangers, I could easily see them outduel the Habs and Sabres and finish in that 4th spot, although it'll be tough for them to overcome the Pens (with or without Crosby).

What really gets me excited about this team and its progress is the steady "strengthening" of the locker room, and doing so by the addition of not only team leaders but guys with Stanley Cup rings and heavy-duty playoff experience. Cole is just the latest in this trend. Gill's re-sigining spoke volumes. Gionta's selection as Captain before that. And then you throw in the significant playoff experience that Gorges, Subban, Plekanec, Cammy and AK46
    have gained over the last two years, especially the deep 2010 run (even Carey, for whom the Halak situation in 2010 was probably the best thing that could have happened, allowed him to develop more of a team approach and to watch the fervor of a deep playoff run without the pressure of being at the center of it all). It all bodes well for Habs fans!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

I don't think the Bruins will be as good and I'll explain why. Thomas saved their bacon for the most part with the greatest season a goalie has ever had. I think smart money could be bet on the greatest season of all time not being repeated the following season. And in a tight playoff race every small detail affects playoff positioning. Thomas could drop 10 points in save percentage (.938 to .928) and still be an elite goaltender. But that drop could mean a couple fewer wins in the standings.

They could still win the division depending on how the rest of the Northeast plays itself out but I don't think it's a slam dunk for the Bruins.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Padawan

Just like Ross, I think that the next addition to that roster should be a center with size, who can win faceoffs and take a regular shift on the PK. After that, the line-up is pretty set. There will be 13 forwards and 6 defensemen on one-way contracts + Yemelin who is a lock to stay in the NHL due to his "KHL instead of AHL" clause.

Cole-Plekanec-Cammy
    Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
    AK46-Eller-Desharnais
    White-New center-Moen
    Darche

Markov-Gorges
    Gill-Subban
    Yemelin-Weber
    Spacek

I also think that the Habs will make the playoffs, even if the injury bug hit again this year. Last season proved that the Habs were able to win even without Gorges, Markov and Pacioretty. Part of that was because Gauthier went out to acquire Wisniewski. If one of the two aforementioned D should fall to another injury, Gauthier actually have around 5 millions to play with and to find a suitable replacement.

Add to that that Gomez can't be worse, event if he tries. The addition of Cole is very important for him, even if they will probably not play together. By adding cole, the Habs made sure that neither Gomez or Plekanec would ahave to play a regular shift with the likes of Moen or Darche. For a guy like Gomez, who needs scorers to pass the puck to, this is very important. Even if two or three of the top 9 forwards get hurt, there are players that can be called-up, like Palushaj and Trotter, who will not look as bad as Moen and darche on the first two lines.

Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Weber and Desharnais are a year older. That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll all be better, but some of them will be.

But most of all, Carey Price is there, and so is the system of Jacques Martin. Would I like to cheer for a team that scores like Washington and Pittsburgh? Of course! But as long that this system is in place, the Habs will have a chance to win on every given night, and it is that kind of hockey that will carry them deep into the playoffs.

To sum it up, I think the habs will make the playoffs this year, they might even win the Northeast. I agree with what Eric just wrote, the Bruins will probably not be as dominant this season. Buffalo will probably have to adjust to their lineup overhaul, and that might cost them some points early in the season. I expect a finish between the 3rd and 6th place for the Habs...sure hope I'm right!

Administrator

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/news/...-about-nothing

Short article covering some scenarios with Louis Leblanc for this season. He is recovering from offseason surgery and there are questions as to where he will play this season. Could be in Hamilton or back in the QMJHL where his rights were recently traded.

Administrator

Kind of dated by now, but those with RDS will be able to see seven Habs preseason games (http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/324910.html)

Administrator

Hockeysfuture top 20 Canadiens prospects:
    http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...eal_canadiens/

Administrator

From HabsInsideOut (http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone...mckeens-forgot) concerning Alexei Emelin:

Finally lured to North America this summer following a breakout sixth term in the KHL (RSL) highlighted by a career-high 11 goals .. scored nine goals combined in his first five seasons – prior to busting out in the 2010 playoffs (22-5-8-13) .. represented Russia at the World Championship in May (9-0-0-0) .. tough, belligerent defender who knows how to use his prodigious strength .. not an explosive or elegant skater .. propelled by a wide, solid stride that has decent power .. strong and balanced on his feet – moves well laterally .. not a great backwards skater but transitions easily .. earns power play time thanks to a heavy wristshot that is quick and accurate .. demonstrates good shot preparation and play selection operating at the top of the umbrella .. always eager to engage his thickly-constructed frame which has filled in substantially since being drafted in 2004 .. militant patrolling the crease area – will punish intruders .. must focus on achieving better discipline and discretion .. prone to taking excessive interference and obstruction penalties .. fixates on playing the body and can lose track of the puck .. aggressive defending the cycle .. overpursues on coverage and often goes out of his way for the big hit – feeding a taste for revenge .. can really explode on his victims when his temper boils .. should add some intriguing pop to Montreal’s backline.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    From HabsInsideOut (http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone...mckeens-forgot) concerning Alexei Emelin:

Yeah, nice McKeen's writeup on Emelin. For me, he represents the most intriguing addition to the squad in the off-season since he can be such a difference maker with his snarl from the back end. I am looking forward with great anticipation towards watching his first few games to see how he performs for the first time in North America.

Along with the integration of Cole, the return of Pacioretty, and what they do with Desharnais and Weber, this is the most interesting thing to look for in the 2011/12 installment of the Habs.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Bad News re Markov

See the separate thread entitled "Markov?"

Long story short, rehab setback (water in the knee) and apparently some disagreement between Markov's camp and the team management on how his rehab was handled. Not a good start to this otherwise relatively so promising season that all of us bleu blanc rouge fans are looking forward to.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

Long story short, rehab setback (water in the knee) and apparently some disagreement between Markov's camp and the team management on how his rehab was handled. Not a good start to this otherwise relatively so promising season that all of us bleu blanc rouge fans are looking forward to.
    He has 3 years to heal up doesn't he?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post

lame...i hate it when your team starts accumulating IR players even before the season starts

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    lame...i hate it when your team starts accumulating IR players even before the season starts
    Nonsense... they'll just go spend more draft picks on a rental dman. Think positive!

Administrator

I'm just glad the team did their due diligence before giving Markov 3 years...

Administrator

Habs vs Stars preseason game starts now. I'm busy revising my thesis document but will try to absorb as much of the game as possible. Hopefully I'll have a good post-game report. Any other thoughts/comments are appreciated.

Administrator

Good speed so far by the Habs. I like the Cole/Plek/Camm combo. Price was soft on the Stars goal. Not terrible but not solid either.