Page 32 of 607 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 42 82 132 532 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Yes! Great signing for a team that needs cap friendly committee offense. Hope the D can get sorted out soon. I know this has been posed elsewhere, but do you guys see any chance Wiz signs or is he just waiting for July 01st for a big contract elsewhere?
    My guess is that Wiz wants to go to July 1st. He has no roots in Montreal and just had a career year so why not? Markov on the other hand has lived in Montreal for several years and has shown willingness to negotiate prior to July 1st.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My guess is that Wiz wants to go to July 1st. He has no roots in Montreal and just had a career year so why not? Markov on the other hand has lived in Montreal for several years and has shown willingness to negotiate prior to July 1st.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. I'm probably just being greedy and dreaming of what a solid D the Habs would have if James were to stay and Marko signed a short term lower $ deal to prove his career was back on track. I also likely read too much into Wiz's episode of "Your Canadiens" where he was making a concerted effort to learn french and spoke of how much he loved playing in Montreal.
    Last edited by MoreCanadianTeams; June 21, 2011 at 12:26 PM.

Administrator

Personally I would prefer seeing Wisniewski re-signed because he's healthier than Markov and also has a bit more toughness which helps. But it's my understanding that the Alexei Yemelin signing is linked to Markov staying in Montreal. So who knows.

The idea of signing both players just won't happen. I don't think the cap could handle it unless Markov signed for something close to the league minimum.

Dobber Sports Giant

Personally I would prefer seeing Wisniewski re-signed because he's healthier than Markov and also has a bit more toughness which helps. But it's my understanding that the Alexei Yemelin signing is linked to Markov staying in Montreal. So who knows.

The idea of signing both players just won't happen. I don't think the cap could handle it unless Markov signed for something close to the league minimum.
    Yeah, I really think Yemelin is here because Markov will be here to mentor him. I've hard time deciding if I want Markov or Wis, but even all the health issues he had over the past few years, I think I would to see him being re-sign first. Markov is an Habs soldier and the captain in the ice.

Dobber Sports Icon

Interesting regarding the Jagr rumor. I still stand by what I said previously. Jagr, like a few other key players on the Habs, doesn't show up every night. So while he's an improvement overall, he wouldn't do anything to help other players break out of their slumps. When he's cold, he can be useless. Plus it's only a short-term thing.

I would be very disappointed if they bring in Jagr. This team CLEARLY doesn't need help on the PP, but rather on 5 on 5 where Jagr would probably only give limited help. Plus Jagr would probably come at too high a price for such a one-dimensional player.

And then there is my biggest peeve, why bring in a guy who might disrupt what is widely acknowledged as a very solid locker room?

This last point is the main reason why I htink there is no way the Habs sign Jagr, despite the media reprots suggesting otherwise.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    Yeah, I really think Yemelin is here because Markov will be here to mentor him. I've hard time deciding if I want Markov or Wis, but even all the health issues he had over the past few years, I think I would to see him being re-sign first. Markov is an Habs soldier and the captain in the ice.

I have no problem deciding. I really liked what Wiz brought to this team last year, but he will be too expensive (both in terms of dollars and term) and there will be too much competition from other teams for his services given what he brings to the table, plus let's not forget that Wiz has had significant injury problems of his own over the years.

For me it's Markov all the way, he's clearly loyal to the Habs and he's a major part of the core of this team, injury issues notwithstanding, and when I say that I mean in the lockerroom especially, I have never heard anyone suggest that he's had other than a solid/positive impact in the locker room. Plus, if he is over his injury issues, he is one of the better 2-way Dmen in the entire league, elite level.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I have no problem deciding. I really liked what Wiz brought to this team last year, but he will be too expensive (both in terms of dollars and term) and there will be too much competition from other teams for his services given what he brings to the table, plus let's not forget that Wiz has had significant injury problems of his own over the years.

For me it's Markov all the way, he's clearly loyal to the Habs and he's a major part of the core of this team, injury issues notwithstanding, and when I say that I mean in the lockerroom especially, I have never heard anyone suggest that he's had other than a solid/positive impact in the locker room. Plus, if he is over his injury issues, he is one of the better 2-way Dmen in the entire league, elite level.
    Oh definitely! I really like Markov, but I guess I'm just afraid of his past issues. But not while ago Wiz missed a few games of his own, so he's not that injury free...

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Good points guys. I too would choose Marko over Wiz, though it would be great to keep them both. However, I think Eric has the right of it that with his career year, Wiz likely needs to cash in. I hope Marko's knees have completely recovered and he can resume his reliable, healthy tenure.

I suppose if we look at the Habs' needs, a top 6 forward with some size, physical presence and scoring ability is more of a priority than the luxury of a 3rd offensive D-man.

Dobber Sports Veteran

From Tony Marinaro (Team 990)

Markov: 2 years extension. 11,5 M$ (rumor)

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/321623.html (in French)
    Last edited by LeTrefle; June 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    From Tony Marinaro (Team 990)

Markov: 2 years extension. 11,5 M$ (rumor)

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/321623.html (in French)
    That would be the same salary he was given under his last contract. I'm open to the idea. The team knows more about his health today than we do. The injury happened in November (7 months ago) so I assume he must be close to good health.

Dobber Sports Icon

That would be the same salary he was given under his last contract. I'm open to the idea. The team knows more about his health today than we do. The injury happened in November (7 months ago) so I assume he must be close to good health.

I love this signing. See the separate Markov thread.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Markov done deal for 3 years

Le défenseur Andrei Markov s'est entendu pour trois ans avec le Canadien, jeudi.

Les termes du contrat ne sont pas encore connus.

Détails �* venir.

this is from Radio-Canada
    Buckerooooos

Administrator

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/321726.html

If it's actually 3 years at the full 5.75 million then I don't like it. Very poor player management IMO. I see this as a very similar contract to the one the Senators gave to Sergei Gonchar - and with the same risks involved.

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's 3 years at full 5,75.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

I'm worried that by year 3 Markov is considered an albatross contract. He probably won't be as mobile as he was before so he might not be as effective. Then you add in the health concerns... every time he gets hurt they spend draft picks trying to replace him.