Page 3 of 606 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    Waive Spacek brutal.

What are your thoughts on the following guys?

Lars Eller - I thought he has been looking great lately, excellent with the puck and good in the defensive zone.

Benny Pouliot - I've actually been enjoying watching him play the last few games. Looks like he's found his game a bit and doesn't seem to be trying to do too much with the puck anymore.

Thanks, great game today!!
    Eller: Very nice player, effective in many ways. Unfortunately for poolies he's being brought up as a centerman. This summer I expect Halpern to move on for the last payday of his career and Eller moves up to the 3rd line. Then once Gomez leaves (that day can't come soon enough!) he'll be a #2 centerman. It's going to be a long path to fantasy relevance but the finished product should be very good and well-rounded.

This season don't expect more than 30 points.

Pouliot: I don't think he has the drive to play on a scoring line consistently. But in a secondary scoring role he has clicked with Halpern and is producing well in that role. Add in 45 hits over 26 games and you have a nice checking line scorer. Expect 40-45 points when it's all said and done.

And I agree about waiving Spacek. But Martin really favors the vets so I don't see it happening. He could be scratched at some point in the near future to make room for Subban though. All depends on how Picard and Weber play.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Hammer is on pace for 46 points over a full schedule, if my math serves me correctly. That's not chopped liver.
    He's a very serviceable player. Handles the puck well although his point totals don't justify that. 13 points in 24 games is solid but I don't see him continuing that pace. With Markov out he might chip in more but I still expect to see him finish south of 40. If you look at his game logs you'll see long scoring droughts over the last couple seasons

My biggest issue with him is lack of skating ability. He's played a ton of minutes over the years and he's clearly a worn down version of the player he used to be. This is why I feel they should pass on re-signing him this summer. But for this season he could be a solid option in a deep fantasy league.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Bin View Post
    another article on the situation....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344460
    Found this in another thread. Set your rosters accordingly. Looks like no Subban until the Habs hit a loss and point out another goat to sit in the pressbox.

Administrator

Default Senators 1, Canadiens 4

Another win for the Habs. Price was barely tested because the Sens were brutal. I thought the Habs disappeared in the 2nd yet the Sens did nothing about it. A few thoughts:

Habs' PP: Scored early but was absolutely terrible on a 5 minute PP. I could hear fans chanting for "PK" which says a lot. I don't know how the Subban situation will play out but with the Habs winning constantly it's becoming an awkward situation. I stick by what I said in another thread that Subban should start slashing the other defenders in practice until he takes one out and forces himself into the lineup.

Josh Gorges: Not a hockey pool guy but an outstanding defender. Thought I'd offer some props because he deserves it. Makes Price's job a lot easier.

Scott Gomez: Suffered a LBI. Tried to return for the 2nd but quickly returned to the locker room. Not sure what's going on here but he wasn't producing anyway. His loss was not felt.

Jeff Halpern: Scored a goal tonight and with Gomez out could be in for a nice short-term boost in production. Definitely one of the better players in the league in terms of return on investment (700k). His effectiveness goes way beyond the score sheet.

Mike Cammalleri: Had some additional grit tonight that I haven't seen in quite some time. At times he stops forechecking and goes into waiting mode only looking to get open while others work. That was not the case tonight and his 2nd effort resulted in a PPG in the 1st period.

Next up is a road game against the Red Wings Friday. Should be a great game. I'm expecting to see Price in both weekend games because the team doesn't play again until the following Wednesday. So rest shouldn't be an issue.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I was planning on going to the Wings - Habs game on Friday but not if PK isn't playing

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    I was planning on going to the Wings - Habs game on Friday but not if PK isn't playing
    You should wear a mask and jump Spacek coming off the bus.

Administrator

I'm open to ideas for future articles/discussions. I was thinking about doing a detailed numbers breakdown for Carey Price at various stages of his NHL career and what was his status with the Habs at each stage to show why he's been so up and down. Some of this is already common knowledge but I was actually surprised at the staggering difference in stats based on each situation.

Anyone in the Habs organization is fair. Players, prospects, coaches, managers, even Youppi could be analyzed.

Dobber Sports Initiate

How about as detailed an analysis as you can manage on Hamilton? It would be really interesting to do a sort of "Habs in 3 years" sort of thing.
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Administrator

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/ho...e-clique.shtml

LeTrefle sent me this article (in french) regarding the possibility that Subban has attitude problems and the veterans approached Jacques Martin about sitting Subban out to send a message. It is a valid possibility however the article presents no facts. It just vaguely states that there have been incidents and that some vets had enough. I don't know what to think of it but the more credible hockey sites like TSN and RDS have reported nothing since the coach's quote about the benching being a good learning experience. There may be some immaturity issues but I don't believe it's at a point where the vets are trying to get him out of the lineup. I believe the benching is related to Subban's play on the ice being sub-par in recent weeks.

I'm wondering how other dobberhockey readers feel about this.

Administrator

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=344926

PK Subban and Dustin Boyd will be in the lineup tonight. I posted the english version so that the majority can read the article but RDS says Weber and Gomez are out tonight.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Well PK is playing, so I hope you will make it. If you're there, I invite your analysis after the game, especially if you see stuff that might not make it on camera or get noticed on TV.

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Red Wings 4

First loss in a while, but not from a lack of effort. The Wings are outstanding. With Howard behind all that talent they're tough to beat. The early penalties killed any momentum and forced the Habs to play catch-up for most of the game. The Habs had a great 3rd period winning the shot battle 19-2 but fell short in goals and the Wings closed the game with an empty-netter. Here's a bit of individual analysis:

Carey Price: Despite the 3 goals allowed, he played strong IMO. Made a lot of nice saves on the 1st period PPs and the only goal allowed was 5 on 3 after several great saves. He battled all night and gave them a chance to come back.

PK Subban: The spotlight was on him tonight with all the fuss about his 3-game absence. He was average. Some good, some bad. Still needs to stop trying to create a goal every time he has a puck. As a dman sometimes it's best to put the puck in the corner and let the forwards dig it out instead of forcing a shot that gets blocked. His decision-making is a work in progress.

Mathieu Darche: I've been mentioning him in past game reports because he was putting up points. Unfortunately, the Gomez injury probably hurts him more than anyone. He fit in well next to Gomez and was good at cleaning up the garbage around the goal. I think his ship has sailed until Gomez returns.

Jeff Halpern: 1 assist tonight and +2 despite the loss. He's getting the added ice time with Gomez down. In cap leagues he's an awesome short-term pickup as he played with Cammalleri tonight.

Administrator

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345384

Originally posted by LeTrefle, Max Pacioretty has been recalled by the Canadiens. He has been absolutely brilliant in Hamilton (27 games, 17 goals, 32 points) and I believe it's a good time to call him up with the Habs lacking some scoring in the last couple games.

Max wants to play in the top-six and there's a huge opening there for him to take. Pouliot has been primarily a 3rd liner and the Habs have opted to use guys like Lapierre, Darche and Moen on a scoring line. Obviously Pacoiretty is an upgrade over them. I could see somethng like this down the stretch:

Cammalleri-Plekanec-Kostitsyn
    Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
    Pouliot-Halpern-Lapierre
    Darche-Eller-Moen

Obviously Gomez is out and the lines are shuffled a bit right now but I do believe this could be a realistic team look heading towards the playoffs.

It's all up to Pacioretty to take advantage of the opportunity. Nothing better than finding a solution to an immediate roster problem from within the system.

Administrator

Default Carey Price: A mystery solved!

When the Montreal Canadiens selected a goaltender with the 5th overall pick in the 2005 entry draft, the world knew this individual would face lofty expectations matched by few in all of sports. It doesn't matter who it was. In Montreal this goalie would have to evolve into one of the next greats or else the selection would be considered one of the all-time biggest busts.

Carey Price was the first goaltender selected in the opening round by the Canadiens since 1972. For a team with such a long tradition of developing top goalies from within, a goalie picked this high had to be destined for greatness, right?

Price's NHL career, now in its 4th season, has truly been a mixed bag. At times he has shown flashes of living up to the insane expectations, and at other times he has performed like a fringe goaltender. So what gives? Who is the real Carey Price? I encourage readers to check out some recent articles from our own Justin Goldman talking about Price (among others) from a technical standpoint:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...man&Itemid=100
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...man&Itemid=100

I'm going to look at things from a more global point of view and present situations that help explain the peaks and valleys of Price's young career. Let's start with his rookie season in 2007-08.

Price's NHL career started earlier than expected when he surprisingly won the backup gig at training camp in 2007. Most had expected him to spend a year in the AHL before making the leap to the big league, but the golden boy had arrived in Montreal. This season can easily be divided into two parts: the games prior to the trade of starter Cristobal Huet and the post-deadline games when Price took over the reigns.

Prior to February 26 trade deadline:
    GP: 26 (12-9-3)
    GAA: 2.82
    Save %: .909
    Shutouts: 1

After trade deadline:
    GP: 15 (12-3-0)
    GAA: 2.12
    Save %: .936
    Shutouts: 2

Ultimately the Canadiens finished with atop the Eastern Conference and made it to the 2nd round before being eliminated by Philadelphia. The sudden emergence of a team with good young players playing key roles raised expectations even more for the 2008-09 season, the team's 100th season of existence. As most know Price started the season among the NHL's elite and was voted as starting goaltender for the allstar game in Montreal. And then an ankle injury along with hundreds of rumors about his party habits helped derail a very promising campaign. But perhaps more important was the emergence of Jaroslav Halak during Price's struggles that began the platoon situation that quickly became one of the hottest topics in the fantasy hockey realm.

So again, this season can be divided into two parts: the first part prior to January 1st when Price was playing at an elite level and the next part starting January 20th when Price came back from the ankle injury too soon to show he was healthy enough to attend the allstar game.

Prior to January 1st:
    GP: 25 (16-4-5)
    GAA: 2.30
    Save %: .921

After January 20th:
    GP: 27 (7-12-5)
    GAA: 3.35
    Save %: .891
    Shutouts: 0

I also believe that Price continued to play through the unhealed injury to avoid losing ground to Halak. He should have rested and come back when healed to give himself a chance to play at his best. In the end, Price playing at less than 100% ultimately backfired and Halak did in fact gain a lot of ground and stole many starts down the stretch.

The platoon goalie situation would continue into the 2009-10 season. Aside from the month of November, it was mostly a split in games or the scales were tipped in Halak's favor. Neither goalie ever really had the stranglehold on the #1 job and Halak handled the situation better than Price did. No real situational change here, it was 1A/1B most of the way.

2009-10 season:
    GP: 41 (13-20-5)
    GAA: 2.77
    Save %: .912
    Shutouts: 0

Then, during the summer of 2010, Halak was dealt to St. Louis. Many fans (myself included) felt this was the wrong move to make, as Halak was the more ready-now goaltender despite still being very young. Price would have even more to prove than ever before. But as everyone has seen Price has rebounded admirably as the undisputed #1 goalie and is currently one of the top goaltenders in the NHL.

2010-11 season:
    GP: 27 (17-8-2)
    GAA: 1.96
    Save %: .935
    Shutouts: 4

So what happened? Why has Price's numbers followed such a yo-yo pattern throughout the years? Why is he so good now after the mediocre 09-10 season?

Well, for starters, Price is a rhythm goalie. When he gets rolling, he needs to continue playing to fully ride the wave. When he's on the bench his momentum is broken. He clearly is not suited for the backup or platoon roles. But most importantly there is a psychological factor involved that impacts Price's play in a big way. The numbers show that Price plays best when he's the team's undisputed #1 goaltender. He needs to know that a single mistake will not land him a spot on the bench, and he needs to know that when he suffers a tough loss he can go right back to work and put the negatives behind him quickly. He does not handle the uncertainty that comes with a goalie partner that can steal minutes from him. Maybe this will change in the future as he continues to mature, but right now that's not the case.

To summarize, I'll show the final stats (using the splits detailed above) for situations where Price is in a backup or platoon situation (07-08 before Huet trade, 08-09 after injury, 09-10 season), and then the numbers when Price is the true #1 goalie (07-08 after Huet trade, 08-09 before injury, 10-11 season).

Platoon/backup:
    GP: 94 (32-41-13)
    GAA: 2.95
    Save %: .905

Undisputed #1 goalie:
    GP: 67 (45-15-7)
    GAA: 2.12
    Save %: .930
    Shutouts: 7

I believe the numbers prove the point I am trying to make. This simple difference in goaltending situation is the difference between Price being an average goaltender and being a premium stopper. The most telling fact is that his overall numbers when he's the #1 goaltender are very similar to his numbers this season. This shows he's been able to play at this level all along.

Advice to fantasy owners: Enjoy! You have a young elite netminder on your team. I don't believe the ups and downs are over with but it won't be nearly as extreme as it was when Halak was in town. Price is now the undisputed #1 goalie of the Montreal Canadiens and according to the stats shown in this article that's a great thing.

Administrator

Default Flyers 5, Canadiens 3

A mostly entertaining game with highs and lows for both teams. After the Canadiens tied the game the Flyers scored a pair of late goals to seal the victory. Some analysis:

PK Subban: He was very involved in the game and the result was a mixed bag. He had a goal and an assist but commiteed turnovers that led to two Flyers goals (including the 5th and final goal). Like I said before his decision making is still a work in progress as both turnovers could have been avoided with better judgment. At least he wasn't really caught out of position tonight.

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta: The team's best line tonight. Pacioretty brings skill to this line and the benefits were immediately felt. Even though he was kept pointless, he was a major positive tonight and will get more looks on the scoring line.

Andrei Kostitsyn: In the coach's doghouse. Started the game on the 4th line, then was brought up to Plekanec's line and then was demoted again. Looked disinterested which is a no-no with Jacques Martin. Not sure what to make of this. He'll snap out of it but a small slump could be in order.