Page 236 of 606 FirstFirst ... 136 186 226 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 246 286 336 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    This is pure speculation, but with the Hawks now clearly having to jettison one of Sharp or Hossa, and wiht Bergevin's ties to the Blackhawks organization, I wouldn't be shocked if the Habs made a run at one of Sharp or Hossa. Probably the former since he only has 3 years left at $5.9M.

It wouldn't be possible to do this without another roster move, probably a jettisoning of Bourgue's $3.3M and maybe Moen's $1.8N, since we have $15M in cap space left and need to sign Subban and Eller, which will probably run us $10M - $12M or so.

It woudn't shock me - a Sharp would be a pretty solid fit on a Plekanec line with PA Parenteau on the other wing, and would be a huge plus to the PP1 unit.
    Wishfull thinking, but one can hop I guess!
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by MarmotKing View Post
    Wishfull thinking, but one can hop I guess!
    I wouldn't have bothered to speculate on this, but with Bergevin clearly having close ties it's a possibility. Sharp might be more likely to waive his NMC to go to Mtl with Bergevin at the helm as opposed to other teams that have cap space (eg, Isles).

Again it's pure speculation, haven't read this anywhere, just strikes me as making sense at some level and we have seen that Bergevin isn't averse to making the bold move.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Plus Bergevin fleeced Colorado in a trade recently.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Plus Bergevin fleeced Colorado in a trade recently.
    Ha, I hope it plays out that way. I suppose you couldn't discount Begy and he will try to improve the team, but we have some ugly salary to shed and that won't be easy.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Ha, I hope it plays out that way. I suppose you couldn't discount Begy and he will try to improve the team, but we have some ugly salary to shed and that won't be easy.
    He was able to move Briere for a clear upgrade in hockey ability and even got a draft pick back in the deal.

Dobber Sports Ninja

He was able to move Briere for a clear upgrade in hockey ability and even got a draft pick back in the deal.
    Yeah, I'll give Bergevin credit there, I like Parenteau as a player better AND a draft pick? Well done sir.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Icon

I still don't understand that Parenteau trade.

Only way to justify it is Patrick Roy really hates that kid and when he gets emotional about stuff reason goes out the window.

That and maybe he's always admired Briere (wouldn't surprise me), and Briere will be a huge help to to the young kids in the lockerroom in what is an important "stepping stone" year for the Avs.

Probably some combo of the two.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    I still don't understand that Parenteau trade.

Only way to justify it is Patrick Roy really hates that kid and when he gets emotional about stuff reason goes out the window.

That and maybe he's always admired Briere (wouldn't surprise me), and Briere will be a huge help to to the young kids in the lockerroom in what is an important "stepping stone" year for the Avs.

Probably some combo of the two.
    My guess is Colorado was trying to think ahead. They must have figured they could re-sign Stastny. And O'Reilly signing will be a big one. Plus, with quite a few of their dmen becoming free agents next year, maybe they plan on going after a major free agent signing (or was trying to trade for someone like Campbell this offseason). Briere is signed for just one more year, so they'll get cap relief in a year.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Briere is signed for just one more year, so they'll get cap relief in a year.
    This is exactly why I think they were ok making the deal, Col that is.

Also, about COL being fleeced. The draft pick alone makes the cherry on top, but I'm always wary of gifts that come so easily or goods that come so cheap. Sakic isn't Greek, but Croatia isn't far....

I hope it works out, but Parenteau will have to bring it. I don't want another talented player with sub-par motivation (Bourque). Yes, Parenteau is a skill upgrade on Bourque, but I will wait to see what kind of product Parenteau is bringing with him. If it was such a fleece job, Sakic would have never made the deal. These guys know way more than we do, so I think there's money but also fit involved. They were looking to trade him one year into his extension! Doesn't smell right....

Wait and see I suppose. I like the size he brings at least...
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

This is exactly why I think they were ok making the deal, Col that is.

Also, about COL being fleeced. The draft pick alone makes the cherry on top, but I'm always wary of gifts that come so easily or goods that come so cheap. Sakic isn't Greek, but Croatia isn't far....

I hope it works out, but Parenteau will have to bring it. I don't want another talented player with sub-par motivation (Bourque). Yes, Parenteau is a skill upgrade on Bourque, but I will wait to see what kind of product Parenteau is bringing with him. If it was such a fleece job, Sakic would have never made the deal. These guys know way more than we do, so I think there's money but also fit involved. They were looking to trade him one year into his extension! Doesn't smell right....

Wait and see I suppose. I like the size he brings at least...
    Amen to that. There is obviously a reason Sakic could not get a better return on this guy.

As talented as some guys are, sometimes they're just not worth the headache.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the latest moves in the aggregate. While moving Briere and letting Gionta go made sense individually (and Gionta was really unavoidable given his contract demands), the net result is we've just lost three solid veterans with character. I still think Bergevin acted like a dick with Gorges (and "fancy stats" won't change my mind on that nor for that matter will they convince me that Gilbert is a solid top 4 d) --and that to me sends the wrong message when you keep yapping about the importance of character and leadership.

Administrator

I don't doubt that Parenteau will come with his share of issues. The point is that he was traded for Briere who was a liability more often than he was helpful.

Dobber Sports Master

I don't doubt that Parenteau will come with his share of issues. The point is that he was traded for Briere who was a liability more often than he was helpful.
    As long as Parenteau doesn't become the same, fine. Otherwise, all we got is a draft pick and swapping 4M on the books.

I really did not like the Gorges move either Thunder. At 3.9M he is at best overpaid by 200-300k. And really 200-300k of cap crunch is worth it for all of the intangibles that guy brought. I did not understand that maneuver, nor the way Bergevin went about it. Trading him to Toronto!? Are you kidding?...

Yeah I was not a fan of this offseason, save letting Brière and Gionta go (Gionta just can't hack it in the top 6 so you can't pay a 3rd liner that kind of cash..) and getting a solid face-off player in Malhotra. Not a fan of Gilbert unless he magically reverses the clock and becomes a decent top 4 D (not convinced at all). Good with bringing back Weaver and Markov, but boy oh boy, losing Gorges will be harsh. Beaulieu and Tinordi better be ready for top 4 minutes and soon. I guess Bergevin thinks they are.. but they have to hit the ground running.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Administrator

As long as Parenteau doesn't become the same, fine. Otherwise, all we got is a draft pick and swapping 4M on the books.

I really did not like the Gorges move either Thunder. At 3.9M he is at best overpaid by 200-300k. And really 200-300k of cap crunch is worth it for all of the intangibles that guy brought. I did not understand that maneuver, nor the way Bergevin went about it. Trading him to Toronto!? Are you kidding?...

Yeah I was not a fan of this offseason, save letting Brière and Gionta go (Gionta just can't hack it in the top 6 so you can't pay a 3rd liner that kind of cash..) and getting a solid face-off player in Malhotra. Not a fan of Gilbert unless he magically reverses the clock and becomes a decent top 4 D (not convinced at all). Good with bringing back Weaver and Markov, but boy oh boy, losing Gorges will be harsh. Beaulieu and Tinordi better be ready for top 4 minutes and soon. I guess Bergevin thinks they are.. but they have to hit the ground running.
    I'm thinking of this offseason more as a bunch of overall lateral moves and the moving out of guys perceived as leaders becomes a big wild card for next year. Maybe Gilbert and Beaulieu bring mobility on the blueline that ends up offsetting what Gorges brought. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe Parenteau puts up goals and points that Gionta never could. Maybe Galchenyuk takes the next step and offsets a lot of things. Bunch of unknowns.

I still don't like the Gorges move but I sort of get it. Sort of.

Dobber Sports Star

I'm not a fan of the Georges move either, especially the way it was handled, but I think Gilbert and Beaulieu could take over next year.

Still waiting for MB to get his act together and sign PK soon. We all know he's worth the money.

Dobber Sports Master

I'm thinking of this offseason more as a bunch of overall lateral moves and the moving out of guys perceived as leaders becomes a big wild card for next year. Maybe Gilbert and Beaulieu bring mobility on the blueline that ends up offsetting what Gorges brought. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe Parenteau puts up goals and points that Gionta never could. Maybe Galchenyuk takes the next step and offsets a lot of things. Bunch of unknowns.

I still don't like the Gorges move but I sort of get it. Sort of.
    After that playoff run we just had, it's pretty well how I feel about this team. Bergevin said that his impression is that we have to hit the reset button every year and that next year is a fresh start, like every season. To me that exudes the same feelings this offseason has, and echoes the feelings we have too. Wait and see type of offseason. Nothing to get excited about, nothing to fear too much. I get a feeling that if the youngsters progress to where we need, next year we have results we can easily expect:

No one on the team will score 70 pts. We have no real offensive superstars.
    We will not win the division, but will fight for a playoff spot.
    Price will be excellent and will give us a chance to win on way more nights than not, as usual.
    PK will be PK and will continue to grow into a star.
    The team's PP will be good but at 5x5 we will not dominate anyone, nor will we be overly dominated.
    In order to have success, the team will have to play as just that, a team, that will produce a result that is greater than the sum of its parts.

That's what I am coming to expect, which is pretty well every Montreal Canadiens team I have watched in my existence. One day I hope to watch a team that will be a lock as division champion and is considered a heavy cup favourite every year for like 5 consecutive years, instead of a team that must scrap hard to finish 4th-8th in the division.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin