Page 15 of 606 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 25 65 115 515 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Josh Gorges RFA this summer

Link to article (french): http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/315443.html

In essence, RDS is running a story about Josh Gorges wanting a new contract now and GM Pierre Gauthier telling him he's going to have to wait until the offseason.

I fully agree with this approach for two reasons: one, he's a restricted free agent so there shouldn't be a sense of panic to get him signed, and two, he just tore his knee so why not wait to see how his recovery is progressing before taking action?

I am a big fan of Josh Gorges and I think he's the next captain of the team. I hope this works out for both team and player.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Default Canadiens acquire Sopel, Dawes

The Canadiens have acquired D Brent Sopel and F Nigel Dawes from Atlanta for F Ben Maxwell and a 4th round pick.

I have very mixed feelings about this. Sopel is a nice dman but it sort of negates the Mara trade. That's a lot of mid-round picks being given for band-aid solutions. Besides Picard is already in the press box. Currently the Habs have Subban, Gill, Hamrlik, Wisniewski, Weber, Mara, Sopel and Picard on the pro roster. I am now assuming Spacek is out long-term but still there is not a need to be adding more bodies on the back end given that Picard has played as well as any other plug they put in there.

In my opinion the key to the trade is Dawes. One can easily argue that he holds more value than Maxwell given that Dawes has played over 200 career NHL games and has a great minor league resume. He could be given a shot to replace Kostitsyn on the wing. Not saying it's going to work, but it's worth trying. Maxwell on the other hand projects more as a bottom-six guy which makes him a lot less useful to an organization given that good veteran checkers are a dime a dozen on the free agent market every summer.

I'm interested in other opinions on this trade. To me it depends on the opportunity given to Dawes. If they made this trade just to get Sopel it's a waste of two assets.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Personally I like the trade. Maxwell wasn't developing the way Mtl wanted and Sopel is a good D man. I agree Dawes vs Maxwell meh no big deal.

If Hamrlik is indeed injured makes more sense. But is an injured Hamrlik > Picard, Meaning Picard shouldn't be in the press box if Hamrlik is hurt.
    10 team Keeper, Roto G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP SOG: W, GAA SV%, SO, Keep 4Fwd, 2D, 1G
    Start 3c, 3 LW, 3 RW, flex Fwd, 5D 2G

C: H. Sedin(K), m. Koivu, Plekanec, Galchenyuk,
    LW: D. Sedin(K), B. Ryan(K), Burrows,
    RW: St Louis(K), Hornquist, c neil, alfredson, kassian
    D: Subban (K), Fowler(K), Schultz, Kronwall, dillon
    G; price(k), ward, hiller

Administrator

Default Maple Leafs 5, Canadiens 4

Lots to talk about here...

-Alex Auld had the start but was absolutely brutal in goal. I know he doesn't play often but IMO that is not an excuse. This is the NHL and his job is to come in and play well when called upon. He plays way too deep in his cage and tends to lose sight of the puck when it's behind the goal. His overall numbers are still good but his performances have been very hot/cold.

-Carey Price was very good off the bench. He gave the team a foundation to build on in an attempt to get back in the game.

-This team is extremely undisciplined. Dumb penalties all over the place. There is no reason to throw a hit on a guy without the puck in the middle of the ice and there is no reason to put the stick in the opposing player's gut when he's stickhandling along the boards.

-The officiating was BAD in this game. All four officials should really re-dedicate themselves to getting calls right. There was no consistency at all. A lot of stuff was missed both ways but the Leafs definitely had more "breaks" go their way. Lots of phantom calls followed by a no-call when the exact same foul was committed. And the linesmen seemed to have trouble figuring out the definition of icing.

-Mike Cammalleri had a strong outing. A goal, and assist, plus-two and four shots in 22 minutes. He was skating well and created chances all game.

-Roman Hamrlik picked up a pair of assists. He's still not skating well but he made some good decisions. I attribute that to excellent hockey sense which has always been one of his strengths.

-Yannick Weber had a poor game. He looked lost out there and often put his team in trouble. This is not a good sign with the arrival of Sopel.

-I am sick and tired of seeing Desharnais get nine minutes while Gomez gets 20. If you want to win you give the ice time to the guys that give you the best chance of winning. Desharnais has put up excellent numbers given his lack of ice time yet can't move up the depth chart.

-The last-minute comeback effort was pathetic. They spent the entire time in their defensive zone and guys were standing around. Instead of having a sense of urgency and triple-teaming the Leafs player to pry the puck free they stood around and let them cycle the puck without trouble.

Lots of negativity in here but it was that kind of game...

Administrator

Default Hurricanes 3, Canadiens 4

Game Notes:

-This was a much needed two points. It wasn't a perfect game but a few key players put up their best game in a long time.

-Carey Price had the night off due to illness. Alex Auld started in his place and picked up the W. He made 28 saves on 31 shots (.903) but looked shaky most of the night. His rebound control was awful as he constantly lost sight of the puck and often kicked rebounds out in front of the goal. He got the job done though. One drawback with his lack of games is poor communication with the defencemen which was evident on the first goal when Auld misfired a pass blindly and the Hurricanes turned that turnover into a goal.

-PK Subban was outstanding tonight. He picked up an assist on the game winning goal and was awesome in his own end, particularly at the end of the game. Patience is starting to pay off. But with things going well, chances are the media will try to blame him for something soon, maybe something like global warming or the tax rates.

-Mike Cammalleri had his second strong game in a row. He is finding openings and firing the puck with quickness and accuracy. This is a deadly combination. I was worried about the effect of the shoulder injury on his shooting but this appears to be a thing of the past.

-Tonight we saw the Andrei Kostitsyn of October. It was a joy to watch. He scored the winning goal on a deflection but in my opinion his best play was on his assist to Lars Eller. He laid a hit on the dman behind the Canes net and while falling down reached for the puck and back-handed a pass to the front of the net where Eller put the puck past Cam Ward. Unfortunately as we've seen for years this kind of play tends to be more of a tease than a trend.

-Another two assists for Roman Hamrlik. Put him down for eight points in the last seven games. He appears to be struggling with the ice time (looked slow and sluggish in past games) but has still been picking up points. That's what you can expect from a smart veteran. He was down to 17:30 tonight.

-David Desharnais had another rough game. He is getting caught for cheap penalties in the opposing end and given his low ice time (11 minutes tonight) the mistakes stick out like a sore thumb. I'm a bit concerned we might see his ice time drop down the stretch. At any moment he can pop thought and put up multi-point games. In one year leagues he's tough to trust right now but in keepers hold tight.

Administrator

Just a heads-up, I'll be posting thoughts throughout the day tomorrow in here. I'll be commenting on the general trade deadline happenings but only when it ties in to the Canadiens.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Just a heads-up, I'll be posting thoughts throughout the day tomorrow in here. I'll be commenting on the general trade deadline happenings but only when it ties in to the Canadiens.

So Eric, do you think the Sopel acquisition killed the idea of getting Phillips?
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    So Eric, do you think the Sopel acquisition killed the idea of getting Phillips?
    Well think of it this way...

Markov, Gorges and Spacek are injured.

Gill, Subban, Hamrlik, Weber, Wisniewski, Sopel, Mara and Picard are healthy.

They have eight healthy defencemen. I don't think they will be making any moves there unless they manage to unload a guy like Hamrlik. I'd put the Phillips odds at 5%.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'd put the Phillips odds at 5%.
    Make that 0%. Phillips re-signed in Ottawa for 3 years.

Administrator

Somehow I'm seeing the Habs and Oilers being trade partners today. Maybe Penner for Kostitsyn. Penner is a pending UFA and would bring some much needed size to the lineup. Even though he's not a bruiser he still knows how to work the boards.

I doubt Kostitsyn alone would get it done but I'll let the GMs sort that part out.

Administrator

I'm surprised to see the Habs pass on Ty Conklin. I suppose this is to keep the door open for other moves today but Alex Auld is too hot/cold for my liking. I don't like playing the 50/50 game every time Price has to take some rest.

Administrator

Bob MacKenzie just confirmed what I was saying earlier about Penner/Canadiens. Not sure if they mentioned this earlier but I had not heard it yet and was just speculating.

Administrator

Former Hab Shawn Belle just got traded by the Oilers to the Avalanche for prospect Kevin Montgomery. Just stating it here because it's Habs-related in a VERY indirect way. Slow day...

Administrator

Former Hab Sergei Samsonov has been dealt to the Panthers in exchange for Bryan Allen. Unless something else is going Florida's way this is effectively a give-away.

Administrator

Dustin Penner has been traded to LA for Colten Teubert, a 1st and a conditional 2nd or 3rd. Wow! Based on that, a good non-trade by the Canadiens.