Page 102 of 606 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 112 152 202 602 ... LastLast
Results 1,516 to 1,530 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Not much to add, but I wanted to post just so I'd be subscribed to this thread.

I seem to be in the minority of Habs fans this summer. Yes, the draft was great, but it seems like we have pretty much the same team that finished last in the eastern conference last year. Our major problems (shootouts, face offs and PP) haven't been addressed, and I feel like I don't know what direction this team is heading in. There's been no major youth movement. A few signings of third line players. No trades to address needs.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that when I look at other eastern teams, they've been making moves to fill their needs. Philly needed a defenceman, and traded for one. Toronto got their top-six forward. Carolina got their top-six forward. The Islanders got their powerplay spe******t defenceman. Pittsburgh cleared cap space and got rid of a potential headache before it became a distraction. The Capitals got their second-line centre.

Anyways, like I said, I seem to be in the minority, but I don't seem to understand the plan for the Habs, unless it's just waiting for contracts to expire before making moves.
    I'm also in the minority here, but I believe that a healthy Markov can change a lot of things. Many people laugh at me when I praise Markov, but I'm a believer.
    I think the Habs adding grit is a good thing.
    I also think that Therrien's approach of work ethic and nightly effort will help Habs having a better season than 11-12.
    Having said that, I still think that they need to find another winger to play with Plekanec and Gionta. Doan (isn't he Price cousin...?), Wolski and Mueller are the first UFA still available to come to my mind.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Not much to add, but I wanted to post just so I'd be subscribed to this thread.

I seem to be in the minority of Habs fans this summer. Yes, the draft was great, but it seems like we have pretty much the same team that finished last in the eastern conference last year. Our major problems (shootouts, face offs and PP) haven't been addressed, and I feel like I don't know what direction this team is heading in. There's been no major youth movement. A few signings of third line players. No trades to address needs.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that when I look at other eastern teams, they've been making moves to fill their needs. Philly needed a defenceman, and traded for one. Toronto got their top-six forward. Carolina got their top-six forward. The Islanders got their powerplay spe******t defenceman. Pittsburgh cleared cap space and got rid of a potential headache before it became a distraction. The Capitals got their second-line centre.

Anyways, like I said, I seem to be in the minority, but I don't seem to understand the plan for the Habs, unless it's just waiting for contracts to expire before making moves.

The Habs certainly haven't addressed all their needs, yet, but in general I am very optimistic for the following reasons:

1. They have completely overhauled their front office and scouting organization, starting with Bergevin and Dudley in the GM chairs, and adding a player development guy like Mellanby. This will be HUGE over the years, and is already paying dividends based on who they've drafted and signed thus far. Plus the moves theyv'e made thus far all seem to have been made with a definite plan, and that is to make this team more gritty and tough to play against (Therrien's hallmark), which should pay dividends.

2. The Prust signing, while expensive, is a good one, especially when combined with the Moen and Armstrong signings. It will make us much tougher to play against over the next 4 years (even if Armstrong doesn't re-sign), and will create more room for our forward corps, especially the little guys like Desharnais, Gionta and Plekanec. It will also be a big plus for Eller, who got pushed around lots last year. Did anyone see how Prust played this year for the Rangers? A warrior with hands and speed.

3. Next to 2nd line scoring punch, D is the area where we needed some added skill and grit. Bouillon is no star but he'll add much needed grit and veteran leadership at a very low price for a player of his level. But the key here is Markov - if he is healthy, that is a GIANT boost to this team's D prospects for next year. You have Gorges/Markov/Subban/Emelin as your top 4, and then Bouillon/Kaberle/Diaz(Weber) as your 5th-7th, that's not bad at all. Plus you're looking at adding Beaulieu and Tinordi probably starting in '13/'14.

4. Signing Price to 6 years was the big need, and it's now done, next stop PK Subban. Priorities in the right place here clearly.

5. Draft was great - Galchenyuk could well be a game-breaking star we've been craving for so many years, and Collberg could be a star in his own right.

6. Top line is great, Desharnais/Cole/Pacioretty proved to have great chemistry last year, a legit top line with size and speed. 2nd line should be boosted by a full healthy season out of Gionta, and Bourque now forced to step up otherwise his spot on the 2nd line is in serious jeopardy, could see Eller moving up to the 2nd line to play with Gionta/Plekanec. The bottom 6 is Prust/Armstrong/Moen/Nokelainen/White/Gomez(uggh) and either Bourque or Eller. Pretty solid 3rd and 4th lines if you ask me. And this is before the acquisition of a top 6 winger, which the Habs have the cap space to complete - I'd be happy to give AK46 another chance at a reasonable price, now that he realizes how far his stock has dropped. Then of course you've got Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Leblanc, who I'd like to see dominate the AHL until they step up full-time in '13/'14.

7. To address your specific points:

- PP will be helped immediately by having a healthy Markov + Subban back there, plus the 2nd PP unit won't be too shabby with Kaberle and say Diaz.
    - Shootouts, don't have much to say on that, that kind of thing bounces around so much from year to year that I don't really worry about it.
    - Faceoffs, I agree it's a weak point, got to be the main reason we re-signed Nokelainen, it's the main skill-set he brings. Pleks, Desharnais and Eller are slowly improving and I imagine they are hoping they will improve further this year.

To finish off, this is what Mark Seidel, chief scout for North American Central Scouting, had to say about the Habs draft this year:

Montreal Canadiens: A+
    The Canadiens’ fall over the past few years has been caused by trades more than by bad drafting but this year’s festivities should give Marc Bergevin and his coaching staff a LOT to work with over the next few years. The selection of Alex Galchenyuk at #3 should provide the Habs with a stud centreman for the next decade. If this was the 70’s, his knee injury would have caused many issues but the kid’s performance at the combine proved that he is back. In the 2nd round, they got Sebastian Collberg and Dalton Thrower who were both 1st rounders on some teams’ boards. In Collberg, they got a dynamic offensive Swede, and Thrower is a gutsy, physical defenseman who has shown good offensive instincts. Their next two picks were high character value picks in Tim Bozon and Brady Vail who won’t be stars but have a real chance at productive careers. The Habs have a lot of work to do but the 2012 draft was a great start.
    Last edited by ross10019; July 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by LeTrefle View Post
    I'm also in the minority here, but I believe that a healthy Markov can change a lot of things. Many people laugh at me when I praise Markov, but I'm a believer.
    I think the Habs adding grit is a good thing.
    I also think that Therrien's approach of work ethic and nightly effort will help Habs having a better season than 11-12.
    Having said that, I still think that they need to find another winger to play with Plekanec and Gionta. Doan (isn't he Price cousin...?), Wolski and Mueller are the first UFA still available to come to my mind.

Doan would be a great add but I'm pretty sure he stays with Phoenix or goes to the Rangers if not.

Mueller is an intriguing option, but if the Avs didn't protect him, you've got to think the news is not great regarding his concussion history.

Wolski's had too many chances and his inconsistency is now the rule rather than the exception. I wouldn't like to see him back.

Honestly, the best option may be to re-sign AK46 for one more year, coud probably get him for $3M and Therrien might be able to light a fire up his Belorussian butt.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Honestly, the best option may be to re-sign AK46 for one more year
    Take it back. TAKE IT BACK, damn you!

Semin would probably be ripped apart by the media on an almost nightly basis, but he'd make alot of sense if he could fit under the cap.

I figure if you're going to go after an unmotivated, underachiever, might as well go big.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Take it back. TAKE IT BACK, damn you!

Semin would probably be ripped apart by the media on an almost nightly basis, but he'd make alot of sense if he could fit under the cap.

I figure if you're going to go after an unmotivated, underachiever, might as well go big.
    Good point.

It does beg the question of why they didn't sign Jagr though, wouldn't have been a big risk at $4.5M for one year, and the guy proved last year he's still got it, especially on the PP.

Administrator

I'm happy about a lot of things, but I don't think it's all resolved overnight. The lack of scoring remains up front and there are major questions on the blueline (both Markov and Gorges have torn ACLs in recent years). But the reputation of the team has clearly changed with a new GM in place. Six months ago everyone was taking jabs at the Habs for making dumb trades and having a dictator GM who probably talked to the media more often (once a month) than he did to his coach. Now the coach and scouts are getting huge praise for a good draft and for acquiring good character and grit on free agency day.

The team is not necessarily ready to make noise but the outlook is definitely more positive than it has been in recent months. That is what makes people happy.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Diaz re-signing for 2 years at 2,45 M$ total.
    RDS = http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/343865.html
    TSN = http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=400514
    Good for the Habs.
    Keeper league (12 teams) - keep 6 (+ NHL team is auto keep)
    Weekly lineup: 1T, 9F, 4D, 1G
    Points only:
    Forwards & Dmen: goal (1), assist (1)
    Goalies: win (2), otl/sol (1), shutout (2)
    Team: win (2), otl/sol (1)
    Only 2 FA pickups for the season (remaining: 0)

[T] Edmonton
    [F] Panarin, Pettersson, Bedard
    [D] Heiskanen, Theodore, Dobson
    [G]

Administrator

Good for the Habs.
    Markov/Subban/Gorges/Emelin/Diaz/Bouillon/Kaberle/Weber

Something has to give there. Either Kabs gets demoted or Weber gets traded.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Hopefully Kaberle gets traded. We should be able to get more for him than Weber.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Icon

Good for the Habs.

Yes, very good, too much talent not to re-sign him and the price is reasonable.

I have to imagine they'll trade Weber and we'll have Bouillon/Kaberle/Diaz as 5/6/7 Dmen. Kaberle actually isn't all that bad as a 6th Dman and PP spe******t, and with a good stay-at-home Dman like Bouillon to protect him, although of course he's grossly overpaid in that role. He's a disaster as a top pairing or 2nd pairing D guy but not as a 3rd pairing guy playing limited minutes.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post

Given the frequency of injuries, I don't think Weber and Diaz as #7 and #8 is overstock.

Aside from the usual injuries, Markov for a whole season isn't exactly money in the bank. Plus, I'd expect Bouillon to get the odd night off.

That said, ideally I'd like to see them improve their core with a top 4 D. As is, only Markov, Subban and Georges are legitimate top 4 in my mind... unless Kaberle finds a miracle cure for whatever ails hims (chronic suckisitis, is the correct medical term I believe).

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Given the frequency of injuries, I don't think Weber and Diaz as #7 and #8 is overstock.

Aside from the usual injuries, Markov for a whole season isn't exactly money in the bank. Plus, I'd expect Bouillon to get the odd night off.

That said, ideally I'd like to see them improve their core with a top 4 D. As is, only Markov, Subban and Georges are legitimate top 4 in my mind... unless Kaberle finds a miracle cure for whatever ails hims (chronic suckisitis, is the correct medical term I believe).

Yeah, ideal would be both Gomez and Kaberle going down to Hamilton and the Habs signing or trading for a very good top 4 stay at home Dman with the extra cap space. This would allow us to put Emelin down to the 3rd pairing, perhaps with Diaz, not a bad pairing.

Administrator

I do believe that eight dmen on the main roster is overkill. I would prefer trading one to open the roster spot and use St-Denis or Nash as #8.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Geoffrion re-signs with the Habs for one year at just over $800k.

Two-way deal so Habs have option of putting him in the AHL but reading some of all of your posts it sounds like you were expecting that haha.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Geoffrion re-signs with the Habs for one year at just over $800k.

Two-way deal so Habs have option of putting him in the AHL but reading some of all of your posts it sounds like you were expecting that haha.
    I thought he might be the designated beer taster for the press box but I guess this way he can play hockey this season.