Page 10 of 606 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 110 510 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hey Eric,

Yeah you're right, what a crazy game, definitely gave the fans their money's worth. That's got to be one of the easiest wins Carey has ever been credited with. As for AK, I almost didn't recognize him with his play, haven't seen that much effort for a while, great to see. I am becoming more and more of a fan of Plekanec, he just does so many little things well with that work ethic. I think I'm going to try acquiring him in my sig league, as I've never owned him but really enjoy what I see.

PK was outstanding and I really liked how he handled the post game interview, admitted to being excited, but showed respect and class to the Flames for his celebration. I was jumping off my couch with the kids when he scored, and I felt his emotion was warranted. Pumped for tonight's game!

Administrator

Default Sabres 2, Canadiens 1 (OT)

Well that was a costly loss. Cammalleri is out for 2+ weeks with a separated shoulder while Pacioretty had to go to the hospital after taking a Wisniewski shot to the stomach. Furthermore Subban, Halpern and Gill each suffered injuries of their own during the game.

The Cammalleri injury was the result of a dirty hit by Mike Weber. Wasn't a big hit from behind but anyone with a brain should know not to give a guy a shove when he's facing the boards chasing a loose puck. Patrick Kaleta was being himself most of the game, but I'll let the eventual Sabres beat writer cover that in depth.

Here's what I saw individually...

Carey Price: Strong game! Looked in control all game and was quick to react on a few occasions where the puck took funny deflections and would have gone in. No complaints here, he's on a roll...

David Desharnais: Could be a major benefactor of Cammalleri going down. He looked great today and scored the team's only goal. His hustle is great and being short sometimes helps him when it comes to forechecking and stealing the puck from the opposition without being noticed. He really looks like a keeper.

PK Subban: Not sure what all the fuss is about regarding his goal celebration last night. It didn't look much different from other goal celebrations around the NHL. Why does TSN have to spend so much time covering this? Anyway, he had a good game. Whatever mistakes he makes he can cover with heart, talent and energy. I really like his presence next to Wisniewski on the PP. Gives the team two big shots from the point, which is useful when they're not hitting their own players.

Brian Gionta: I like the grit he showed tonight. It was a chippy game and it was clear the Sabres made it a point to bend the rules as much as possible all night. I was particularly impressed when he went after Gaustad in the last minute along the defensive zone boards and knocked the puck away. He was giving up about 50 points but went right in there and won the battle.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Sometime in the next few days I'll be posting an article on David Desharnais. I'm really looking forward to this one as he's a diamond slowly emerging from the rough.

Administrator

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=350274

Pacioretty plans to try to play through the pain. It's apparently bruised ribs and not broken. If you have bench spots I'd sit him for a couple games. I just can't see him going full speed for a while. The courage is appreciated by hockey fans but probably not in fantasy hockey

Cammalleri is on IR for those in leagues with IR spots...

Banned

I think with all the injuries we've had we should see if she is available to fill in for a few games, what do you guys think?

http://imgur.com/zFpRp

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    I think with all the injuries we've had we should see if she is available to fill in for a few games, what do you guys think?

http://imgur.com/zFpRp
    Yeah, put her in front of the new when Wisniewski shoots. Those ribs are well protected

Administrator

Default Canadiens 7, Senators 1

Wow, that was a pretty solid game by the Habs. Need to keep things in perspective though, as the game was played against a bunch of pylons. The Sens get a lot of media coverage for everything that's wrong with that organization, but you never realize how bad it really is until you see them. Brutal.

On the Habs' side, I was happy to see them continue playing hard after taking a 4-goal lead, after what happened in a recent game against the Flames. On to the individual stuff...

James Wisniewski: His presence has really stabilized things on the back end. He's only average defending in his own zone and does turn the puck over, but his puck moving ability helps get the team out of danger quickly. Pairing him up with PK Subban on the power play has been a marvelous sight. I really hope this guy gets re-signed and SOON.

David Desharnais: I'm going to do an article on him over the weekend, and tonight is another reason why. Another point and a lot of strong play all over the ice. I'm really liking this addition. For the first time in over a decade the team is using its farm club correctly. That is, they use Hamilton to groom players and give them prominent roles when they are ready. This has been an underrated strength for the Canadiens this season.

Ryan White, Andreas Enqvist: Both were called up to replace Cammalleri and Halpern. I did not notice Enqvist much, but he still had 12:30 in ice time. White looks like the guy that will fill in the role that was occupied by Max Lapierre. Not now, but next season. Good character player, good grinder, and I like how he reacted to a late hit that shook up Moen. He looked to make a statement and took on Brian Lee. The fight didn't lead to much but I like the action.

Andrei Kostitsyn: He's thinking like a goal scorer again. That is all.

Max Pacioretty: I feel stupid saying he might struggle for a few games with the bruised ribs. He looked like nothing happened. Strong game with a goal, an assist and 5 shots.

Tomas Plekanec: Not a fantasy-worthy comment, but he's one of the best in the league when 2 men short. He showcased that again tonight. Excellent positioning.

Carey Price: The score might mislead the importance of Price's play tonight. The Sens had a stretch in the 1st where they had a few good chances. They cut the lead to 2-1 but in the meantime Price made several solid saves. He made all the saves as the game went on and didn't give the Sens a chance to even make a push in the 3rd period. He's on a roll.

Other game note: Unfortunately the hot woman introduced by McGoo was a healthy scratch tonight

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I really hope this guy gets re-signed and SOON.
    Careful what you wish for. He has yet to go through his injury spell that will definitely happen. Signing him isn't a bad option but NOW is definitely not the time. His value would be way over market value right now. Wait for him to go down first - it's going to happen.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    Careful what you wish for. He has yet to go through his injury spell that will definitely happen. Signing him isn't a bad option but NOW is definitely not the time. His value would be way over market value right now. Wait for him to go down first - it's going to happen.
    His -19 rating hurts him in any negotiation. Islanders or not that hurts. I believe he is worth somewhere between 4 and 4.5 million. If both sides can agree to that tomorrow I have no problem following through with the re-signing, even with his history of missing a dozen games each season.

Administrator

Default Ducks 4, Canadiens 3 (SO)

That was a really entertaining game overall. Hiller was spectacular. It was tough but the Canadiens battled back from a 3-1 deficit with 2 late goals to force OT. Both goals were the result of some simple net crashing. Early the Canadiens lacked energy but were not outplayed. The bounces went the Ducks' way and created the 3-1 lead before the Habs started flying offensively (outshooting the Ducks 23-5 in the 3rd). A few individual notes...

Carey Price: Solid but unspectacular tonight. Made several solid saves along the way which kept the game in reach. Two of the goals were the result of deflections while the Perry goal was a rebound tap-in. Nothing soft and that's a good sign.

Max Pacioretty: I feel really stupid for saying he might slow down for a few games. He was outstanding. Two goals scored by attacking the net. He doesn't have elite strength but he does have good reach which helps get to loose pucks around the crease. There appear to be no signs of the rib injury that seemingly nearly killed him.

Mathieu Darche: Scored a goal on a deflection. I looked at his stat line and he has 18 points (8 goals) in 43 games, including +7, 6 PPP and 53 hits. Nice combo player for very deep leagues. Keep an eye on the injury front as he fills in admirably on the scoring lines in small doses.

Roman Hamrlik: He's been much better lately but tonight he was bad. That was a very poor effort in front of the net on the Perry goal. Had he stood his ground there would have been no threat on that play. Offensively he's been a ghost since Wisniewski's arrival. Those who used him in their pools should have dropped him already.

Administrator

Default Prospect Profile: David Desharnais

This season has certainly been an interesting one for the Montreal Canadiens. A rash of major injuries and some bi-polar play from several key players have turned the campaign into an emotional rollercoaster. But with such misfortune comes opportunity for new players to step up and make their mark at the highest level. One such player has been David Desharnais, an undersized forward that was recently promoted from the AHL's Hamilton Bulldogs and has made some significant contributions in Montreal.

First, let's take a quick look at Desharnais' background. He was undrafted primarily due to his size (5-6, 177 pounds) but had a stellar junior career with Chicoutimi of the QMJHL. His point patterns in four years were the following: 51, 97, 118 and 108. The total is 374 points over 262 games.

Following his junor years he played one year with Cincinnati of the ECHL. Again, he posted some outstanding offensive numbers (106 points in 68 games). He won the scoring title that year and was named league MVP, in addition to top rookie honors.

Finally in November 2008 he signed as an undrafted free agent with the Canadiens while playing with their minor league affiliate in Hamilton. He would complete his first full season in the AHL with 58 points in 78 games and the next season posted an improved 78 points in 60 games.

Finally this season Desharnais began getting the credit he deserves as he received a call-up on December 31st after posting 45 points over 35 AHL games. Over ten games at the highest level he has posted two goals and two assists. But most importantly he is showing some of the traits that show he will be a player in the NHL for years to come.

In a past article that outlined my vision of what the Canadiens might look like in three years, I labeled Desharnais as someone that could very well go the path of Ryan Shannon and Brett Sterling and falter at the NHL level. History is certainly on my side making that assessment. But what I've seen in this handful of games has been very impressive. David Desharnais really belongs in the NHL in some capacity.

His ice time has been up and down during his stay in Montreal, ranging from 8.5 minutes to 16 minutes. But despite that he has received spurts of time in both phases of special teams. A trip to Dobber Hockey's Frozen Pool section shows that Desharnais has had 1:27 on average on the power play and 43 seconds on the penalty kill. These are not monster minutes, but at least he's being used in important situations.

So what separates him from the Sterlings and the Shannons? Well, for starters, his ice time on the penalty kill despite being a rookie shows that he is defensively responsible. This opens up a lot of opportunities on the bottom two lines at the NHL level. This is what is keeping him in the NHL now.

He is a very good playmaker, and this is shown by his assist totals at the lower levels. He has good hands and can move the puck quickly. But he has a scoring touch too, as evidenced by his 27 goals over 60 games in 09-10 for Hamilton.

In terms of skating, he's above average. He has good quickness but is certainly not a burner like Scott Gomez or PK Subban. Good enough to be effective on the forecheck. I've seen many instances in games recently where he has quickly attacked defenders to steal the puck.

On the downside, his strength is an issue. He does get pushed off the puck with ease. He tries hard along the boards but his quickness and tenacity are his only chance of coming out with the puck. He has to want it more than the other guy.

Despite the size issue I don't see any reason why David Desharnais can't be a permanent NHL player. His production at every level proves that he deserves an extended look at the highest level. On top of that he possesses the skills and the desire to earn a roster spot on an NHL team. He's not a "top six or bust" player. There is a lot more grey area when it comes to predicting his future in the NHL but that is a good thing because he can play in the bottom six and work his way onto a scoring line.

And now for some predictions:
    2010-11: 6-12-18 in 43 games
    2011-12: 15-25-40
    2012-13: 20-30-50

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated!

Link to PG Advised thread featuring this article:
    http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=95235
    Last edited by ericdaoust; January 25, 2011 at 8:27 PM.

Administrator

Halpern is back, Engqvist sent back to Hamilton.

Engqvist was barely noticeable during his two games in Montreal. Already 23 and signed as an undrafted free agent for this year and next, I wonder if he has any future in the NHL. He only has 14 points in 38 AHL games but his defensive polish made him a convenient call-up as a Halpern replacement. I guess next year is make or break for him in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I watch the last 2 games well one game because the scrimmage against the senators everyone look good.That said I found that Engqvist could be a good fourth line centerman for the habs next season.He is great defensively ,could also be on a penalty killing, get better on face off and with his salary I see him the next season.
    I know fantasy wise he is worth nothing but for the habs I could see and wish him a good career.
    Buckerooooos

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by glorieux View Post
    I watch the last 2 games well one game because the scrimmage against the senators everyone look good.That said I found that Engqvist could be a good fourth line centerman for the habs next season.He is great defensively ,could also be on a penalty killing, get better on face off and with his salary I see him the next season.
    I know fantasy wise he is worth nothing but for the habs I could see and wish him a good career.
    Thanks for the reply.

I understand what you're saying and like your point of view regarding cap space. I just don't know if there's room on this team for a guy that offers virtually nothing offensively. I see a handful of guys down in Hamilton (Ryan White, Ben Maxwell, Wyman, Palushaj among others) that could get a roster spot and have a brighter future as far as upside goes. Plus they already have young guys like Desharnais, Pyatt and Eller occupying depth roles so I don't know if they'll go the Hamilton route to fill in the remaining spots.

I think a key point to consider is that Jeff Halpern was signed for 600k. It shows that it is possible to get good vets at the same salary as some of these rookies.

Administrator

GMGates announced today that beat writers can post longer articles up in the PG Advised section as individual threads. Thus I'll be making a small change to the format in here tonight. I'll be transfering the David Desharnais article to a thread and I'll post a link at the bottom of the current article to the new thread. All future articles will be posted externally and I'll post a link in here.

I'll also edit my intro post on page 1 so that it has an archive of links to all the articles I've written.

This section will focus on the game reports, team news and discussions/opinions (like the one about Engqvist and the debate about Wisniewski's contract value... the back and forth is healthy and very appreicated). All opinions are welcome.

I'm also open to having guests do game reports. Send me a PM or post in here ahead of time so that we don't step on each other's toes.

And most importantly the door is always open when it comes to ideas for articles or anything else Canadiens related, including a 24/7 ongoing fantasy mailbag where I'll give my true opinions on anything related to Canadiens' players and prospects.