Page 513 of 607 FirstFirst ... 13 413 463 503 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 523 563 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,695 of 9093

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Montreal Canadiens

Quote Originally Posted by ACC90 View Post
    We are in some kind of a dead end if referees don't change how they manage the game.

A lot of situations lately could have been avoid by a better rules application by referees
    Ekblad vs Domi : If Ekblad would have received a 2 minutes for all the slashing he gave to Domi
    Eller vs Marchand : If Eller would have received a 2 minutes for unsportmanlike conduct by taunting Boston bench

By the way, that doesn't excuse Marchand and Domi actions
    I agree with this. Refs should take a bigger role in avoiding potential disasters. Is it better to make a soft call to avoid a major incident from happening? I think it is. A 2-minute penalty has never hurt anyone. Tempers flaring because one team believes refs missed an obvious call (whether they're right or wrong) often creates a very dangerous situation where someone can get seriously hurt. Making a soft call is the lesser of two evils.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    My complaint is a minor one in the bigger picture. We're talking fourth liners here and the trade candidates would have fetched a mid-round pick at best or maybe another fringe dman. It does make you wonder though - if you had the choice of re-signing Plekanec vs investing in de la Rose growing into a full-time NHL role (with potential benefits beyond this year) which way would you go?
    I'm on team Plekenec. I think having the right veterans around to show younger players how to be consumate professionals is a very important part of doind a proper rebuild.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm on team Plekenec. I think having the right veterans around to show younger players how to be consumate professionals is a very important part of doind a proper rebuild.
    You're not wrong but Price, Byron, Gallagher, Weber, Petry, Shaw, etc are also vets.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Alzner was terrible yesterday. Pretty sure he's still skating from the penalty box to the bench.

Dobber Sports Veteran

St. Louis looked awful last night.

Almost like they just figured there talent would carry them through the season and they wouldn't actually have to try.

This Habs team is all speed and, to quote Therrien, stick on puck.

Alzner stuck out like a sore thumb.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Administrator

Plekanec is out Saturday with a back injury, presumably from carrying his new silver stick around.

Administrator

John LuVerified account @JohnLuTSNMtl 3m3 minutes agoMore

#Habs practice:
    Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
    Drouin - Domi - Lehkonen
    Byron - Kotkaniemi - Armia
    Deslauriers - Peca - Shaw
    Hudon - Scherbak

Alzner - Petry
    Reilly - Juulsen
    Ouellet - Benn
    Mete

Price
    Niemi

Mete is practising but still nursing a hand injury.

Dobber Sports Expert

I haven't watched a Habs game this week but Hudon has a goal and an assist in his last 2 games playing 4th line minutes. Of course he'd be pushed aside for Deslauriers. Has he not been playing his usual 110% effort style lately?

Administrator

I think it's a case of forcing a player in there because reasons. Hudon was the LW on the 4th line so...

Dobber Sports Stud

Also took a couple of ill-timed penalties in the last game.

No one really deserved to lose their spot but until they trade someone Hudon will be playing musical chairs along with Plek, Peca etc.

I could also see Armia skipping some games.

The Great One

Whats to be done about Alzner and Benn? They are both terrible...Alzner looks lost out there. Benn is too slow. When is Schlemko due back? That Boedker goal was just terrible all the way around. I’d also rather see Hudon playing and on Kotkaniemi’s line instead of Armia. Armia would be great on the 4th line.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Administrator

Schlemko is supposed to be out for 6 weeks so I guess he would return in the first half of November.

Benn is not great but at least he does a few things well. Alzner is awful and brings nothing good to the table. If not for injuries I think he would be in the minors by now.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Schlemko is supposed to be out for 6 weeks so I guess he would return in the first half of November.

Benn is not great but at least he does a few things well. Alzner is awful and brings nothing good to the table. If not for injuries I think he would be in the minors by now.
    Alzner has a no trade but no no move so sending him to the minors is an option. Problem with sending him to the Rocket is mostly the optics to future free agents or to the existing team, around how the Habs treat contract commitments, but in Alzner case that?s quickly becoming a non-factor because the whole league can see the speed of the game has turned him into a shadow of his firmer self in terms of impact. And he?s not the only one. So I doubt sending him to the minors, or buying him out, would have any adverse impact.

He is by all accounts a great professional, great in the room, and that could be useful but just as useful (if not more) with the kids on the Rocket.

The CON is if we start dipping in the standings and go quietly into tank mode - he?d be an asset there.

I think he will eventually he bought out, but it will hurt cap-wise:

If he is bought out before next season, cap hit will be about $1.1m 2019/20, about 4.25m (OUCH) 2020/21, and about 2.25m 2021/22, before settling in at about 1.1m the next 3 years.

That lockout proof deal for 20/21 (he?s getting 1.5m salary and 1.5m bonus) hurts us big time, in a year where hopefully we are starting to be competitive again and have to re-sign some current players.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Alzner has a no trade but no no move do minors is an option. Problem with sending him to the Rocket is mostly the optics to future free agents or to the existing team, around how the Habs treat contract commitments, but in Alzner case that?s quickly becoming a non-factor because the whole league can see the speed of the game has turned him into a shadow of his firmer self in terms of impact. And he?s not the only one. So I doubt sending him to the minors, or buying him out, would have any adverse impact.

He is by all accounts a great professional, great in the room, and that could be useful but just as useful (if not more) with the kids on the Rocket.

The CON is if we start dipping in the standings and go quietly into tank mode - he?d be an asset there.

I think he will eventually he bought out, but it will hurt cap-wise:

If he is bought out before next season, cap hit will be about $1.1m 2019/20, about 4.25m (OUCH) 2020/21, and about 2.25m 2021/22, before settling in at about 1.1m the next 3 years.

That lockout proof deal for 20/21 (he?s getting 1.5m salary and 1.5m bonus) hurts us big time, in a year where hopefully we are starting to be competitive again and have to re-sign some current players.
    Disagree with the bolded, and to be fair you sort of corrected yourself already. I think (most) players appreciate when ice time and roster spots are given based on merit, not contracts. We saw it last year with Vegas who had no problem pushing higher salary guys down the lineup and in the minors if their play wasn't satisfactory. Letting players earn their spot produces more wins which in turn makes the team more attractive to other players.

IMO the way Bergevin has handled pretty much all of his key players to date has a far greater impact on his league-wide perception than what is happening with Alzner. In fact I feel like his stock is up significantly. The team changed its style and philosophy, and the team is being praised for letting the lesser players (regardless of salary) sit in the press box.

But, as I've been saying, it's all nice to see this happening the first couple weeks of the season. Will Julien/Bergevin stick to the plan long-term or will they default to favoring veterans for no good resaon?

Administrator

Plot twist: After keeping Alzner on the top pair in practice, he'll be a healthy scratch while Mete returns to the lineup.