Page 4 of 606 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Default Bruins 3, Canadiens 4

A very good team victory against an opponent that refuses to go away. I'm happy to say the Canadiens officially have two scoring lines. It's pretty impressive that the team has been this good with only one line able to produce. A few things that stood out on the Habs' side:

Officiating: I don't rant often about them, but the officiating in the 3rd was terrible. I get it that the Cammalleri penalty shot call was weak but it looked like they spent most of the game trying to make up for that call. Definitely made the game interesting at the end.

Max Pacioretty: I hope it's not just adrenaline following the call-up. He has breathed life into the Habs' 2nd line. A goal and an assist tonight and got himself involved in the game in so many ways, including some physical play. Also made an excellent cross-ice pass to Gionta that nearly put the game away in the 2nd. Nice save by Thomas (I said that often tonight).

Scott Gomez: Four points in 2 games since returning. Whatever he did during his time off, it worked! Welcome to the Canadiens, it's been a while! He was back to playing like the tenacious little bastard he's been known as while in New Jersey. His line was easily the best one tonight.

Brian Gionta: All over the place tonight. Six shots to go along with a goal. The Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta trio could be in for a nice short-term pop in production. If you're struggling head to the waiver wire and give these guys some consideration. Gotta love seeing an undersized player work so hard in the traffic areas to create chances.

PK Subban: Very nice game including a hit that could have severely hurt Brad Marchand. About as good of a collision as I've seen this year with the Habs. He's using his talents to create offence and tonight he did a good job of picking his spots and avoided putting his team in danger. He only played 14 minutes though, but his partner Alex Picard was weak and the Canadiens were defending a lead so clearly Martin was going to turn to the Gill/Gorges and Hamrlik/Spacek pairs to close the game.

Carey Price: Nice to see him back to winning games. The only complaint is a pair of goals from behind the net over the last two games. It's a small technical flaw that I'm certain will be worked out between games. He's playing like a true winner who can be relied on to hold a lead at the end of the game. Aside from deflections and interference (Lucic) he's very difficult to beat.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Bighabfan View Post
    How about as detailed an analysis as you can manage on Hamilton? It would be really interesting to do a sort of "Habs in 3 years" sort of thing.
    I'll try to do this within the next week. Thankfully with the holidays this article wouldn't be overly difficult since in 3 years a lot of Habs contracts will still be in effect. Cammy/Gomez/Plek/Gionta are going nowhere. The depth positions will be interesting though.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Just a quick note to thank you for the posts and insight Eric. Though I'm a fan of many teams in differing levels, I've really bought into the Habs the past few years on a personal basis as Carey Price comes from my hometown and one of my childhood buddies used to coach him. During preseason, I recall Mcgoo writing a good synopsis of a game and hoped to see more. Thanks for picking up the challenge and posting some excellent reads.
    There are 2 seasons, Hockey & Waiting for Hockey

Dynasty, 7 Teams, Pts Only
    35 Skaters+3 Goalies
    Start:1G,6D,12F
    G: 2pt win, 2pt SO, 1pt OTL
    5 changes/month
    Playoffs run with 1 lineup

G: Price,Fleury,Rinne
    D: Green,Phaneuf,Doughty,J.Johnson,Markov,Edler,
    Ehrhoff,Carlson,Pitkanen,McBain,OEL
    F:Malkin,D.Sedin,Kopitar,Perry,Datsyuk,Spezza,
    Cammaleri,Carter,Iginla,Savard,Selanne,Plekanec,
    Voracek,Hemsky,Burrows,C.Giroux,Backlund,Filatov,
    Couture,Paajarvi,Grabner,Connolly

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCanadianTeams View Post
    Just a quick note to thank you for the posts and insight Eric. Though I'm a fan of many teams in differing levels, I've really bought into the Habs the past few years on a personal basis as Carey Price comes from my hometown and one of my childhood buddies used to coach him. During preseason, I recall Mcgoo writing a good synopsis of a game and hoped to see more. Thanks for picking up the challenge and posting some excellent reads.
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really enjoying the chance to do some hockey writing and since I'm always watching the Habs games so it's barely a dent in my schedule to do the game recaps. I'm glad it's serving a purpose.

Price is a really fascinating goaltender. He's a great case study for those who wish to learn more about the "game within the game" that goes on behind the mask. Sure it's easy to draft Brodeur or Luongo, but understanding how goalies react to various environments can be key in making middle-round choices that often win or lose pools.

Do you know anything about Price behind the scenes in your town that isn't already known? So much has been made about his life in the NHL but not much is known about his personal life beyond the airplane rides he would get to games in his youth hockey days. Any info there would be appreciated.

As for McGoo, he has a lifetime invitation to do game recaps here whenever he wants.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    I'll try to do this within the next week. Thankfully with the holidays this article wouldn't be overly difficult since in 3 years a lot of Habs contracts will still be in effect. Cammy/Gomez/Plek/Gionta are going nowhere. The depth positions will be interesting though.
    That would be great. I know this is primarily a Fantasy site but a little home team analysis is alway appresiated. Thanks for that.
    Mooseheads: 14 team H2H (CBS)
    +/-,G,A,DG,DA,PIM,PPP,GWG,GAA,SPct,W,
    Dress 8F,4D,2Gweekly,roster22,3Gmax
    F:Benn,Tavares,Backstrom,Galchenyuk,O'Reilly,Kuche rov,E.Kane,Radulov,N.Foligno,T.Ennis,Lee,Hartman,T ,Johnson
    D:Weber,Burns,Werenski,Vlasic,Theodore,Severson
    G:Bishop,Fleury,Mrazek

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Avalanche 3

What a boring game. The action came in short bursts. Kinda reminded me of pre-lockout NHL. It wasn't the kind of game where you wanted to fall behind given the lack of scoring chances, and that's exactly what happened to the Habs. They missed a half dozen empty nets in the dying minutes that could have easily tied the game. No excuses for this loss as goal #3 was handed to them and they didn't take it. A few observations:

Travis Moen: Never seen a player screw up so many golden scoring chances. If he had any hockey skill he would be a 15-20 goal guy. I think his inability to bury chances will push him out of the league prematurely. Oh well he has a ring.

Mike Cammalleri: His shot was on full display tonight (5 total) and they were all quality chances. I wish he had this kind of instinct every night. Scored off of a nice give-and-go with Plekanec in the 1st period.

Maxim Lapierre: Six shots tonight... he sometimes plays the game like a goal scorer. He shows the instinct to find good shooting areas and take quality shots. He's not burying them though. I hope he develops this side of his game so that he can fulfill my prophecy of him being a 35-40 point 3rd line player.

PK Subban: A bad giveaway that led to the 3rd Avs goal (the game winner) but he had some solid moments. He played next to Gill instead of Picard for the 3rd period. Had a few nice rushes that created some good scoring chances to try to tie the game. Like I keep saying his decision making needs more work because his mistakes happen at the worst of times and ruins what is otherwise an alright game.

Carey Price: Was a bit weak on the 2nd goal but overall was solid and battled from start to finish. Gave his team a chance to get back in the game and that's all you can really ask of him.

Other notes:
    -Pacioretty and Gomez both assisted on the second goal which ensures an extended look for their trio. Pacioretty continues to impress.
    -Alex Picard scored a PPG crashing the net but was -2 otherwise. It's tough for Subban to have a fringe NHL defenceman as a partner.

Dobber Sports Stud

hows Cammy looked recently? I dont watch any MTL games so im wondering will he be a 40 goal scorer, or just maybe 30-35?
    thanks
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wfactor View Post
    hows Cammy looked recently? I dont watch any MTL games so im wondering will he be a 40 goal scorer, or just maybe 30-35?
    thanks
    Cammy's been better recently. He tends to go through stretches when he stops digging and instead sits in the slot waiting while Plekanec does the work. He's at his best when he does get involved physically to keep plays alive and then moves into the slot looking for his chance. It's a small team so it has to be a team effort digging the puck out from along the boards.

I'll quote an earlier reply in this threat about Cammalleri:

Quote Originally Posted by newper114 View Post
    skimming your section and its awesome. sorry some of it is long and i am at work and not a mtl fan so i cant read it all. but i like your game breakdowns.

wondering what you can tell me about cammy? i was going on him being an 80 point player. seems like he just isnt getting the time or what to get to the PPG level?

thanxs again.
    Don't count on PPG. For a bunch of reasons:
    -Plekanec is not an elite centerman
    -Markov is out
    -Gomez is not clicking so more focus goes on shutting down the top line
    -Jacques Martin and the defensive system
    -Lack of overall size up front makes them hit or miss offensively from one game to the next

I could see 70 points over a full schedule but anything more than that won't happen on this team.
    And to answer your question directly... think 30-35 goals.

Dobber Sports Stud

Cammy's been better recently. He tends to go through stretches when he stops digging and instead sits in the slot waiting while Plekanec does the work. He's at his best when he does get involved physically to keep plays alive and then moves into the slot looking for his chance. It's a small team so it has to be a team effort digging the puck out from along the boards.

And to answer your question directly... think 30-35 goals.
    thanks eric appreciate it man
    I just picked him up in my league in sig(off the wire), and well as you can see I need him to be a top lw for me
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wfactor View Post
    thanks eric appreciate it man
    I just picked him up in my league in sig(off the wire), and well as you can see I need him to be a top lw for me
    It's a good step forward for your team as Cammy instantly becomes one of your best players. Just don't expect more than 35/35 in the Habs' current environment.

Administrator

http://tsn.ca/nhl/icechips/

Andrei Kostistsyn is a healthy scratch for tonight's game against the Stars. He has no goals in his last nine games. - TSN

Tuesday's Projected Lines vs. Stars

Forwards:
    Cammalleri - Plekanec - Eller
    Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
    Pouliot - Halpern - Moen
    Darche - Pyatt - Lapierre

Defencemen:
    Spacek - Hamrlik
    Gill - Gorges
    Picard - Subban

Goaltenders:
    Price - starting
    Auld

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

why do the habs keep insisting on pairing PK with Picard? If they want their young stud to produce and keep the puck out of their net then give him the chance to play with one of the many more defensive minded dman on their roster. Picard is too fresh and a liability himself.

Pair him with Gill, Hamrlik, Gorges or even Spacek. The Habs are mismanaging this kid.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    why do the habs keep insisting on pairing PK with Picard? If they want their young stud to produce and keep the puck out of their net then give him the chance to play with one of the many more defensive minded dman on their roster. Picard is too fresh and a liability himself.

Pair him with Gill, Hamrlik, Gorges or even Spacek. The Habs are mismanaging this kid.
    I agree and had thoughts about doing a write-up about this. Hamrlik had a great track record grooming a rookie Dion Phaneuf and this was said to be one of the reasons he was attractive to Habs' management. Granted, it's a different coach now, but I can't see why they wouldn't maximize Subban by pairing him with Hamrlik. I mean, just last spring that combo worked out pretty well!

Administrator

Default Canadiens 2, Stars 5

Wow, that was a tough game to watch. The Habs were FLAT. Don't let the shots (29-17 in favor of MTL) fool you, the quality chances and control of play were completely in Dallas' favor.

One thing that annoys me is this annual 38-game road trip the team has to go through every year around this time. If the schedule lines up that way, so be it, but don't fix it to happen every year. Kinda sucks traveling long distances when clearly there's other things on everyone's mind. I get it, the NHL likes aligning this with the games in Miami and Tampa for the vacationing Canadian people, but from a hockey sense it sucks. It's happened more than once in the past that a game on this exact road trip causes some kind of long slump. OK rant over. On to the individual analysis.

Jaroslav Spacek: The worst player on the ice tonight. By far. I'm not going to analyze it in detail, it just seemed like everything he did went wrong. Anyone that was hoping for a return to numbers closer to what he put up in Buffalo won't be are probably disappointed by now.

Mathieu Darche: Another goal tonight, and is scoring at a 30-point clip right now. He does well in limited ice time. A while ago I was hinting that he would be a nice short term pickup for deep leagues when he was getting points on the power play. Well, despite the decent scoring pace he's been off the power play since Pacioretty has arrived. So even though he's playing well don't touch him in pools. He's just not doing enough.

Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta: The Habs' best line tonight. They were the only guys that consistently played in the opposing team's zone. Gionta scored a goal assisted by Gomez. This bodes well for those who have been stashing Pacioretty waiting for this moment. And if Gomez was dropped in your pool, it's probably too late to get him. If not, he's producing now so find a place for him (at least for now).

Lars Eller: Lots are going to wonder about him since he was promoted to the top line. It was a mixed bag. Some good, and a lot of mediocre. It's not really Eller's fault, as Plekanec and Cammalleri both failed to make an impact, but since he's getting a short term tryout he needs to stand out more. I'd say chances are 50/50 that he gets another look here next game.

Carey Price: Ever since I wrote that article about him he's suffered his worst stretch of the season. Not cool. I worked hard on that. The least Carey can do is support me. Anyway, the numbers looked awful. Yes, his body language isn't quite as convincing as "King Price" from October/November. But it wasn't a terrible game by any means. He just lacked the ability to make the key save and keep the game in reach. The goals individually were not awful - three deflections, one breakaway (nice goal by Dobber fav Jamie Benn) and one net scrum. When you add it all together it's not a great night. At least he continues to battle until the end. It's still a clear improvement over last season's phoning it in following a couple iffy goals. He'll bounce back.

Andrei Kostitsyn: Made fewer mistakes than any of his teammates tonight.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

When you add it all together it's not a great night. At least he continues to battle until the end. It's still a clear improvement over last season's phoning it in following a couple iffy goals. He'll bounce back.
    Entire post was great! Luckily I benched Price tonight because I am ahead of pace for goalies at this point, and don't need to chance lowering my top of the league SV% or GAA. Wasn't able to watch this game tonight, but couldn't believe when I saw the score. Just glad to read your post and hear that Price battled to the end, your continued confidence in him!
    Follow me on twitter @mikerocksthered
    https://twitter.com/mikerocksthered

ESPN 10 Team H2H
    F: Kessel, Backstrom, E. Staal, Marleau, Hossa, Kesler, Vrbata, Bozak, Koivu, Wilson, Tlusty, Fisher
    D: Chara, Shattenkirk, Souray, Beauchemin, Liles, Carlson, Vlassic, Greene
    G: Brodeur, Fasth, Ward IR: Ray Whitney

Yahoo 10 team H2H
    F: Marleau, Tlusty, Vanek, Pominville, McDonald, Clarkson, Huberdeau, Koivu
    D: Boyle, Greene, Chara, Pietrangelo, Hedman, L Schenn
    G: Brodeur, Fasth