Page 101 of 606 FirstFirst ... 51 91 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 111 151 201 601 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 9089

Thread: Montreal Canadiens

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by habs83 View Post
    Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
    Stop gap-Plekanec-Gionta
    Moen-Eller-Bourque
    White-Tough center/FO/PK guy-Tough winger
    Nokelainen
    I have concerns with Moen on line 3. I know he had a good showing this season but in the two prior seasons he scored six and eight goals, for a total of 23 goals in three seasons under his previous contract. That is not enough for line 3, and I'm worried that he will regress to that form this season now that he isn't in a contract year. So that may mean that the team needs two stop gaps on the wing, or that Leblanc could be promoted. My guess:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
    ???-Plekanec-Gionta
    ???-Eller-Bourque
    Moen-Nokelainen-White

Line 2: Don't rule out Peter Mueller, Huselius, Hudler
    Line 3: Moss, Dvorak, Knuble, Jason Blake

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

For the record, I really like Moen and what he brings. But in the salary cap business I don't think he is a wise investment. I could be proven wrong, but I look at the big picture and think that the money should have gone elsewhere.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    For the record, I really like Moen and what he brings. But in the salary cap business I don't think he is a wise investment. I could be proven wrong, but I look at the big picture and think that the money should have gone elsewhere.

Moen is a good team player, is excellent on the PK, is not afraid to drop the mitts and is pretty good at it as long as he fights someone in his weightclass, and he can chip in an occasionnal goal.

I think that if Moen is use the way he should be use, by that I mean on a 3rd in a checking role, this contract is fair for both sides. But if he plays in the top 6 like it happened a lot last season, he will look out of place and this signing will look terrible.

But in today's salary cap, a 1.8 M$ contract is a reasonable price tag. Term may be long, but there is no one like Moen in the pipeline right now, so why not lock him until a youngster takes his place in the same role.

Administrator

Moen is a good team player, is excellent on the PK, is not afraid to drop the mitts and is pretty good at it as long as he fights someone in his weightclass, and he can chip in an occasionnal goal.

I think that if Moen is use the way he should be use, by that I mean on a 3rd in a checking role, this contract is fair for both sides. But if he plays in the top 6 like it happened a lot last season, he will look out of place and this signing will look terrible.

But in today's salary cap, a 1.8 M$ contract is a reasonable price tag. Term may be long, but there is no one like Moen in the pipeline right now, so why not lock him until a youngster takes his place in the same role.
    Your description of Moen actually fits Tom Kostopoulos well. Just an observation. Not sure about the "occasional goal" part when Moen averages about one goal every 10 games with the Habs. He's a great character player, but so are many others. The team is behind the 8-ball with so many holes to fill and I just think that money could have been used to chase a better scoring winger while finding a similar depth/PK/grit guy on the cheaper end.

If we put the finances aside, I would take Moen on my team any day.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Your description of Moen actually fits Tom Kostopoulos well.
    Hehe... Tom the Bomb!

Administrator

Hehe... Tom the Bomb!
    Yeah... I was actually trying to make a bit of a point with the comparison. Guys like Moen are available in abundance. Moen may be one of the better ones at what he does, but wouldn't you prefer paying a million less for a similar player and then using that money to pursue a better scoring line player? Personally, I prefer downgrading on line 3/4 than in the top six. Depth scoring is so important these days that I don't even consider Moen a 3rd line player.

Being in their position, IMO they should be playing the buy-low, sell-high business and they just bought Moen after his one good season. It's not the end of the world, and may turn out to be a great investment, but I'm a big picture guy and a perfectionist so I bitch about things like this and choosing Nokelainen over Darche.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah... I was actually trying to make a bit of a point with the comparison. Guys like Moen are available in abundance. Moen may be one of the better ones at what he does, but wouldn't you prefer paying a million less for a similar player and then using that money to pursue a better scoring line player? Personally, I prefer downgrading on line 3/4 than in the top six. Depth scoring is so important these days that I don't even consider Moen a 3rd line player.

Being in their position, IMO they should be playing the buy-low, sell-high business and they just bought Moen after his one good season. It's not the end of the world, and may turn out to be a great investment, but I'm a big picture guy and a perfectionist so I bitch about things like this and choosing Nokelainen over Darche.
    I respectfully disagree with you here if you really compare Kostopoulos to Moen. Moen is bigger, tougher, better on the PK while their offensive stats are pretty much even.

Now, is 1.8 per overpayed? Yes. But he was a UFA, and UFAs are overpayed. Is 1.8 per an horrible contract. No.

When GMs sign players that were on their teams before they test the market, there is always factors that we, poolies and fans, don't have access to. In the case of Moen, I think that there was a strong case made by the returning leaders of the teams (gionta, gorges, plekanec). I love to go back to the interviews made at the end of the season to see what was said about the pending UFAs. Last year, pretty much all of the core guys said that they would really like to have Moen back. It was the only name that popped in the interviews. The same way, the season before, the name that was immediately brought up was Hal Gill. Gms probably listen to stuff like that, and I am pretty sure that it helps the reputation of the team around the NHL to see that, while they don't always do what the players say, they at least listen to their opinions.

Administrator

Emelin re-ups with Habs, 2 years with a cap hit of 2 million.

Administrator

A few things to discuss about free agency today:

Brad Staubitz leaves: I really like what Staubitz brought to the table but the fact is that the team was able to pick up some guys with toughness that bring even more to the table. No roster spot for Staubitz.

Colby Armstrong - 1 yr / 1M: Excellent cheap signing for a guy that has four 30+ point seasons under his belt. He should be good next to Eller on line 3.

Francis Bouillon - 1 yr / 1.5M: He is a good depth guy although years of hitting like a truck have taken a toll on his body. He should be fine in a 6th or 7th dman role.

Brandon Prust - 4 yrs / 10M: The salary and term jump out as risky but I like this signing much more than Moen's contract. Prust is much better offensively and is a far better fighter than Moen.

Administrator

According to the Habs twitter feed, the team signed Mike Blunden and Cedrick Desjardins.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/l_fr/news.htm?id=636865

Administrator

English version of the article: http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636869

Administrator

As it stands right now, here is a snapshot of the team's overall depth chart (not in NHL lineup format):

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole
    Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
    Prust - Eller - Armstrong
    Moen - Nokelainen - White
    Geoffrion - Galchenyuk - Leblanc
    Palushaj - Gomez - Gallagher

Subban - Gorges
    Markov - Emelin
    Kaberle - Bouillon
    Diaz - Weber
    St. Denis

Price
    Budaj
    Desjardins

(Did I forget anyone???)

Notes:
    -At this point there is no place whatsoever for Gomez. Whether he is bought out, demoted or brutally beaten, he will not be with the Habs next season.
    -The one glaring hole is Rene Bourque, who is not an ideal fit on line 2.
    -As it stands, Geoffrion is likely going to be the 13th forward, rotating with Nokelainen. If the team adds a second line winger, he could be demoted if he signs a two way deal this summer. If I were him I would see the writing on the wall and accept minimum salary on a one way deal to perhaps force the team's hand into keeping him in the NHL.
    -Galchenyuk could play the 2nd LW spot for a nine game trial but in all likelihood he will be in the juniors this upcoming season.
    -Either Weber gets moved or Diaz could be demoted to Hamilton next season.
    -Desjardins could very well "Bachman" his way into the backup job at some point.

Administrator

It's old news by now, but Carey Price signs 6 years 39 million.

Administrator

Not much to update here, but if anyone is interested in the jersey numbers that the new players will be wearing...

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637297

Dobber Sports Guru

Not much to add, but I wanted to post just so I'd be subscribed to this thread.

I seem to be in the minority of Habs fans this summer. Yes, the draft was great, but it seems like we have pretty much the same team that finished last in the eastern conference last year. Our major problems (shootouts, face offs and PP) haven't been addressed, and I feel like I don't know what direction this team is heading in. There's been no major youth movement. A few signings of third line players. No trades to address needs.

I guess I'm just a little frustrated that when I look at other eastern teams, they've been making moves to fill their needs. Philly needed a defenceman, and traded for one. Toronto got their top-six forward. Carolina got their top-six forward. The Islanders got their powerplay spe******t defenceman. Pittsburgh cleared cap space and got rid of a potential headache before it became a distraction. The Capitals got their second-line centre.

Anyways, like I said, I seem to be in the minority, but I don't seem to understand the plan for the Habs, unless it's just waiting for contracts to expire before making moves.
    Last edited by newfcollins; July 6, 2012 at 1:27 PM.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid