Page 4 of 244 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by little_boyes_semin View Post
    Can't Ottawa get any pick between 1 and 6?
    No, if you win the lottery you move up 4 spots, so they would get the 1st pick. If a team below wins, then Ottawa remains in 5th. The only other option is if a team higher than Ottawa wins the lottery (like NJ or something), then Ottawa would be bumped to 6th.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Next move Sens

The2010 2011 season for the Sen's was a complete disaster. At the start of the Season hopes were high. Fueled by the promise of a healthy Pascal Leclair and Jason Spezza to lead the team. The off season free agent acquisition of Sergi Gonchar promised to make the power play lethal. The wheels came off early and the Sens were out of a playoff contention before the trade deadline. As a result GM Brian Murray who appeared to be under a mandate to dump salary purged the roster. The main reasons for the poor season were mainly poor goalkeeping from the oft injured Pascal Leclaire and inconsistent Brian Elliot and injuries to key players like Spezza, Alfredsson, etc. The nightmare season was capped off at the draft lottery where the Sens went from dreaming of a top three pick in this summers draft to slipping all the way down to sixth.
    The Sens can look back on some positives however. First and foremost the promising play from several key young players. Erik Karlsson finished with a very exciting 13 goals and 32 assists (never mind the -30 for now). Goalie Robin Lehner saw some time out of injury need and desperation and played very well. He is the goalie of the future no doubt. And the late season free agent signing of the most sought-after NCAA star Stephane Da Costa. Rookies Greening, Smith, Condra, Butler also had late season auditions after the a fore mentioned roster purging and all played well. Greening and Smith were recently resigned. The roster purge also cleared up some cap space. The departure of Kelly, Fisher, Campoli, Ruttu, and Kovalev created over 14 million in cap space. The Sens will likely gain another 4.6 by not signing Leclaire and Svatos. The Sens have approximately $45.3 committed for 17 players
    So what holes do the Sens have to fill?

First and foremost they need to hire a coach. This will be a young team for sure. Expectations will be lower than last season of course. Failure to miss the playoffs for the third time in four years will be tolerated as long as the team shows promise and potential. Candidates may include Kirk Muller, Craig MacTavish or even Pat Quinn.

Next is a second line center. Spezza is a great #1 but you can count on him to go down with injury and miss close to 20 games. This means the second line center must be able to carry the load in his absence. Look for the sens to fill this void the draft and trade. Free agent candidates may include Fleischman, laich, and Arnott.

The defense needs improvement also. Both Gonchar and Kuba were a major disappointment last year. Gonchars $5 million cap hit and age make him unmovable. Look for Murray to shop Kuba hard this summer and if he is unable to find a taker for Kuba's $3.7 -26 either waivers, demotion to minors or buyout are all possibilities. The exile of Kuba is further fueled by the emergence of promising rookies such as David Runblad, Jared Cowan, and patrick Wiercioch. One or even two of these players will be in the NHL next season.

Goal tending. Murray pulled off one of last seasons best trades swapping Elliot for Anderson then promptly resigning Anderson giving the Sens a legit #1 goalie. A new back up will be required as Lehner needs more seasoning in the AHL. Look for a journey man back up from free agency to fill this void.

here are some predictions on what this all means and what may be in store as the Sens next move.

Murray said on TSN at the draft lottery they had a player they liked if the end up with one of the top 3 picks. They got the sixth pick. Look for Murray to go hard after that guy. He can trade up using the 6th overall pick and the 21 pick from Nashville or his own second round pick.

Kuba gets a buy out. Cap hit would be $1.233 for 2 seasons.
    Lee is traded to Minnesota or sent to minors.

Rookies to make the team, Runblad, Cowan, Da Costa, Condra, Greening, and Butler.

Making an impact in the AHL. Silfverberg, Lehner, Wiercioch

The Bottom line. Sens are a team in rebuild right now. It will not take them as long as it will the Leafs or Oilers however. They will be a competitive team next season. They will be aggressive in acquiring some veteran top six forwards this summer. A second line center, a top three winger either by trade or free agency.
    The goal tending will be a strength for the first time in franchise history.

The Sens next moves are, hire a coach, draft a franchise player, fill holes at forward and develop an impressive crop of talented young players.

Banned

Just thought I'd update this. The Sens still haven't started interviewing candidates for the vacant head coach position, but these guys should be in the mix:

-Kirk Muller (my #1 choice)
    -Kurt Kleindendorst
    -Brad McCrimmon
    -Dave Cameron
    -Kevin Dineen
    -Marc Crawford
    -Pete DeBoer

Personally, I think they will get Muller if he is interested. Muller as head coach, Dave Cameron as assistant would be ideal.

Administrator

The only recent news piece I could find on the Sens hunt for a head coach: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/...megadrop_story

Unfortunately the article doesn't really reveal anything...
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Elliott leaves, so we won't get as many Elliot misspellings anymore, but I can already see that I will be tearing my hair out over people butchering Rundblad's name

What about Potulny? He's owned the AHL lately. Will he get a shot?
    GO WINGS!

Banned

I think Potulny is gonna be an AHL star, but I don't see him in the NHL. He didn't look great when he was up here. Kinda like Corey Locke...

He was OK for Edmonton but looked very out of place after that. Maybe he gets a look, as there was an article written about him in the Sens "future watch" section.
    Last edited by Big Ev; May 31, 2011 at 10:06 AM.

Banned

Zibanejad will be butchered if they pick him!

The Magnificent One

so have been reading some of thes eposts today and i knew gonchar was a dissapointment but whats all this talk abotu being bought out? with all the youngsters coming in are we going to see gonchar take a small role or can we see him being atleast a 40point dman still atleast in ottawa if he doesnt get traded?
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Banned

I don't think he will be bought out, but that was what I was told by a person in contact with the Sens' CFO.

I don't know how many points he;ll get but he'll still get the minutes. I'm not sure who he'd be paired with as he couldn't find chemistry with anyone last year. I think he'll be second pairing D with top PP duties.

Banned

Draft notes:

Tim Murray was on Team1200 this week and basically said they like 5 guys. 'm guessing but I'm also pretty confident that these are the players Ottawa likes for their first pick:

RNH
    Larsson
    Huberdeau
    Landeskog
    Strome

I'm fairly certain they do not want Sean Couturier at all.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'm fairly certain they do not want Sean Couturier at all.
    Just curious, but why do you say that?

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Banned

Just based on rumours and the fact that they will probably want the highest offensive potential possible with their pick (unless they get Landeskog for all-around play).

Also Couturier's work ethic, drive, and consistency are question marks.

Banned

Also add Dougie Hamilton to that list I posted above.

Administrator

Big_Ev,

From what I've been reading it seems that people are speculating that the coaching race is now between MacTavish, McLean, and Kleinendorst. No mention of Muller?

Any thoughts?

Banned

I have no clue but I would assume it's down to those three, yeah. I think Muller may be too inexperienced although he has impressed with Montreal. He may also prefer to coach in Dallas or New Jersey. I do like Muller though, and he is a good fit because he has coached in a Canadian market, can work well with youngsters and veterans alike, and his hometown is Kingston.

I don't think they'll want to hire Kleinendorst either. Probably promote him to assistant or keep him in Binghamton. He has now won the U-18 and Calder Cup, but still doesn't have too much NHL epxerience although he was an assistant with Detroit. Who knows though, he could be Murray's guy because he can help develop a lot of the guys he had in Bnighamton.

MacT or MacLean are fine by me. I don't think they will pass on MacLean's experience with Babcock, his history with Murray, and his Cup win but I can see them wanting MacT's head coaching experience.

Looking forward to seeing who they hire.