Page 3 of 244 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Banned

With Sergei Gonchar on the shelf due to a concussion, look for Patrick Wiercioch or Eric Gryba (shut-down guy, big hitter) to get the call-up.

Dobber Sports Star

Hey man

I just grabbed Michalek off the wire, hoping for a rebound year next season. What can I expect from him?
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Hey man

I just grabbed Michalek off the wire, hoping for a rebound year next season. What can I expect from him?
    I'd say a max 25-25 season, something like that.

Dobber Sports Genius

Any thoughts or insights on how Wiercioch has looked in a couple of big league games, and how much of an impact will Runblad's status (in terms of where he plays) have on Wiercioch's chanches of gaining a full time spot along the OTT blueline next year?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Any thoughts or insights on how Wiercioch has looked in a couple of big league games, and how much of an impact will Runblad's status (in terms of where he plays) have on Wiercioch's chanches of gaining a full time spot along the OTT blueline next year?
    Even if Rundblad didn't make the Sens, Wiercioch has no virtually chance of making it. Still 2-3 years away probably. He has looked decent in 3 games so far but he is a stringbean and he just isn't ready to face NHL competition. Needs to play big minutes in Binghamton next year and bulk up over the next couple of seasons.

Ottawa has 6 NHl d-men signed for next year and Cowen and Rundblad are coming in as well. Wiercioch is behind them and Eric Gryba is also in the mix.
    Last edited by Big Ev; March 25, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Thanks for the observations EV.

At some point, if Runblad develops sooner rather than later like alot of people believe, I think a guy like Wircioch is prime trade bait for the Sens to use to try and upgrade up front.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rainydrinkwater View Post
    Thanks for the observations EV.

At some point, if Runblad develops sooner rather than later like alot of people believe, I think a guy like Wircioch is prime trade bait for the Sens to use to try and upgrade up front.
    Yup exactly. As long as he develops well it will be a win-win for the team. Either trade him or use him. He could definitely surprise and develop a lot quicker than I expect, though.

Banned

2-0 Sens win over the Caps.

Craig Anderson with a 31-save shutout last night. If he provides consistent goaltending like this and at least keeps the team in the game every night, his contract will bw a steal.

Colin Greening was a beast again. This Newfie is one of my favourite Sens prospects. He is a massive player but is also one of the fastest on the team and in the league (from what I have seen this year). That's so rare for a guy his size (6'2, 210) to be that fast. He also has been setting up Spezza on a breakway at least once a game and he has been driving hard to the net a lot. He projects to be a decent point-getter as a power forward. He has great character too, as do most players from Newfoundland. His interviews make him sound like he's been in the league for 10 years.

Jason Spezza continues to play solid at both ends of the ice. Another assist last night. He has 25 points in 23 games since returning from injury, and is really leading the young guys out there. I really think he will be the next captain after Alfie retires.

Erik Condra scored last night as well. He has a decent 5 goals in 19 NHL games this season (as a rookie). Another guy who looks like he's gonna be a solid 3rd liner who can chip in on the scorebaord every now and then. Perfect replacement for Chris Kelly (and he's been outproducing Kelly too).

The way this "rebuild/retooling" has begun, the Sens look like they are gonna have a really good future bottom 6. All that's left is to sort out the Top 6. Murray says he will sign a UFA for the Top 6 (probably a cheaper player, not a huge name) next season, andtheir first round pick should also push to make the team (be it Ryan Strome, Gabriel Landeskog, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier, or Jonathan Huberdeau). Also, guys like Jakob Silfverberg and Derek Smith could challenge for a spot. Should be a great rookie camp next year.

I don't care if this team misses the playoffs next year; if they keep playing with heart and as a TEAM like they are right now, Sens fans will continue to pack the building and will have nothing to complain about.

and for the people saying "don't the Sens want the highest pick possible?!", well, players can't go out there to lose. If they keep winning, so be it. It's nice to have a winning end to the season in order to go into next year with some confidence. They are guaranteed a Top 5 pick and will get one of those forwards I mentioned above.

Dobber Sports Icon

Any talk there about Coaching candidates next year Ev? I know you are stuck with Murray.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sparrowtrini View Post
    Any talk there about Coaching candidates next year Ev? I know you are stuck with Murray.
    1) I will be happy if Murray retains his position. He and Tim know how to rebuild.

2) I have no idea about the coach, and there hasn't been much talk. Dave Cameron, Kirk Muller come to mind. Cameron is head coach in Mississauga, and that team is owned by Melynk. Lindy Ruff would be my choice if he isn't going to return to Buffalo.

Dobber Sports Icon

I think Muller would be an interesting choice. If his heart could rub off on those kids look out.

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Can't remember where I heard / read it, but there was a report where Guy Carbonneau mentioned being interested in a head coaching position with the Sens if it was offered to him.

Do you think it would be a good fit?
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Banned

Never considered him, but not because I don't like him. Would have to ask Habs fans what he's like, I don't really remember his system or anything. He's got the bilingual card going for him, though. Interesting suggestion.

Banned

So the season is over. Ottawa will get either the 1st, 5th, or 6th pick in the first round of the draft.

New coaching staff for next season. Should be interesting to see who they get.

Training camp is gonna be wild. Colin Greening, Peter Regin, the first round pick, Erik Condra, Andre Petersson, Jakob Slifverberg (if they sign him), Bobby Butler, Stéphane Da Costa, etc will all be fighting for spots. Jared Cowen and David Rundblad should both find their way on the roster, somehow. Jason Spezza, Daniel Alfredsson, Milan Michalek, and Chris Neil are basically the only locks at forward. Chris Phillips, Erik Karlsson, Brian Lee, and Filip Kuba should make it. Gonchar could be traded or bought out.

Murray will be looking to add a Top 6 young forward if they can, like an Upshall or Glencross.

Should be a fun offseason. All star game is here next year as well. A lot to look forward to.

I predict the Sens will draft Jonathan Huberdeau.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Can't Ottawa get any pick between 1 and 6?