Page 236 of 244 FirstFirst ... 136 186 226 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,540 of 3655

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Why did LA start making dumb drafting choices all of the sudden? I don’t see a scenario where Byfield is available at 3.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I hope the Sens just take the BPA and if they do want to go after a potential franchise goaltender, they trade down a little. I guess if they really believe they might get a legit #1, then have the courage to make it happen.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Why did LA start making dumb drafting choices all of the sudden? I don’t see a scenario where Byfield is available at 3.
    Scouts see certain things in certain players that make them fall in love. I wont lie and say I have watched a lot of either Byfield or Stutzle as I tend to watch Q games more than anything depending on who comes into Halifax to play the Moose, but I do like to read a lot about prospects. Stutzle is just as well regarded by scouts as Byfield is. Different style of player but both ooze skill. It really comes down to who does LA love more? We all know Byfield is a big kid and a natural center but many seem to think Stutzle can play center too so who knows.

If you read Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking, he polls certain NHL scouts and does his rankings based on the names ranked from their list. Here's a quote from his writeup on his final list:

Five of 10 scouts surveyed by TSN ranked Stutzle No. 2 overall; the same number had Byfield in that slot. But no scout surveyed had Stutzle lower than No. 3. Two of 10 slotted Byfield at No. 6, which is to say eight had him at No. 2 or No. 3. So there’s not a lot to choose between the two.
    I wont be surprised if LA goes with Stutzle over Byfield but I am no scout. Then again, I have a hard time seeing how certain scouts would have Byfield down at 6 and what they are seeing from him that puts him there, even more-so, what the other players ahead of Byfield on their draft rankings have that he doesn't.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Scouts see certain things in certain players that make them fall in love. I wont lie and say I have watched a lot of either Byfield or Stutzle as I tend to watch Q games more than anything depending on who comes into Halifax to play the Moose, but I do like to read a lot about prospects. Stutzle is just as well regarded by scouts as Byfield is. Different style of player but both ooze skill. It really comes down to who does LA love more? We all know Byfield is a big kid and a natural center but many seem to think Stutzle can play center too so who knows.

If you read Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking, he polls certain NHL scouts and does his rankings based on the names ranked from their list. Here's a quote from his writeup on his final list:

I wont be surprised if LA goes with Stutzle over Byfield but I am no scout. Then again, I have a hard time seeing how certain scouts would have Byfield down at 6 and what they are seeing from him that puts him there, even more-so, what the other players ahead of Byfield on their draft rankings have that he doesn't.
    Part of this goes to the internal scouts with the specific teams. When they are doing their war room discussions leading up to the draft, often times it will be the how much the top regional scout if fighting for each player. This plays an obvious role in the later rounds but I'm sure has some effect on the earlier rounds. Hopefully with 1st rounders the head scout and GM have watched enough to know this but with COVID, a lot of things are up in the air scouting wise.

Many people were not impressed with Byfield's WJC. He was a young kid and probably saw a lot of pressure and why some have pegged him down slightly. I don't know. But the WJC should not make or break a players draft stock completely. I've seen more of Byfield obviously but both are impressive. Sometimes it may come down to the scouting strategy of a team that ranks this the way it is.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great discussion guys. Three thoughts:

1. Three is a no-brainer, and i suspect they want Stutzle because he is closer to NHL-ready and the team desperately needs some marketing excitement.
    2. For five it's tougher. If Melnyk is pushing for NHL-ready players i say they take Rossi, with Perfetti and Drysdale the other choices. I am now leaning to Drysdale. So what if they already have two okay prospects who play the right side? They can corner the market so to speak! These guys are so rare i bet they could trade one of them down the road for a scoring young forward. Regardless, with Drysdale along with what they have this could be one of the best Ds in the league in a few years, assuming Branstrom is what they say he is. And that's huge.
    3. I would love the scenario where we get the ruskie goalie by trading the Isles pick plus other assets, but that pick is getting lower by the series and i doubt teams would give up a 9-11 pick where you're sure of getting a great young player, and perhaps the best goalie of his generation, for a mid-20s pick and bunch of other question markets, plus perhaps a salary dump. That's the kind of move that gets GMs fired. Besides, Sens known for avoiding Russians due to fear they'll just stay in KHL. I understand that's how we lost tarasenko.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Goldendelicious View Post
    Part of this goes to the internal scouts with the specific teams. When they are doing their war room discussions leading up to the draft, often times it will be the how much the top regional scout if fighting for each player. This plays an obvious role in the later rounds but I'm sure has some effect on the earlier rounds. Hopefully with 1st rounders the head scout and GM have watched enough to know this but with COVID, a lot of things are up in the air scouting wise.

Many people were not impressed with Byfield's WJC. He was a young kid and probably saw a lot of pressure and why some have pegged him down slightly. I don't know. But the WJC should not make or break a players draft stock completely. I've seen more of Byfield obviously but both are impressive. Sometimes it may come down to the scouting strategy of a team that ranks this the way it is.
    To be fair, Lafreniere didn't have a great WJC last year in his first one either so like you, I dont put much stock into the WJC as a breaking point for ranking and I'd like to think most scouts are smart enough to understand this as well (and I am sure most are).

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    To be fair, Lafreniere didn't have a great WJC last year in his first one either so like you, I dont put much stock into the WJC as a breaking point for ranking and I'd like to think most scouts are smart enough to understand this as well (and I am sure most are).
    No he didn't either. But you never know how scouts react, like you said. All a crapshoot.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Didn't Seguin get cut from the team in his draft year?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Didn't Seguin get cut from the team in his draft year?
    Yep.

I remember RNH getting cut his draft year too, and he still went 1st overall and turned out pretty good.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Can any sens fans out there tell me about Mike Rielly and how he fits on this Sens blueline? Will he be a regular this year? Continue to get PP time? worth an Add in extremely deep leagues? He performed like a 4/5 D (of which we start 6) based on his Fan Points last year. But Need to know that he's a regular on the roster and not a Brad Hunt type sporadic player.

tks

Dobber Sports Initiate

With Boro leaving, that signals a bigger and more consistent role for Reilly (ei not ie). Chabot and Brannstrom should eat up a majority of the PP minutes, but he will see some on the back-end of them. He doesn’t impress me.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Can any sens fans out there tell me about Mike Rielly and how he fits on this Sens blueline? Will he be a regular this year? Continue to get PP time? worth an Add in extremely deep leagues? He performed like a 4/5 D (of which we start 6) based on his Fan Points last year. But Need to know that he's a regular on the roster and not a Brad Hunt type sporadic player.

tks
    He's probably worth a little less than whatever Praba is offering him up for

In all seriousness, he's likely going to be a second/third pair defenceman depending on what the Sens do in free agency, plus some PP2 time.

Sounds like Boro is gone, and Hainsey may be done. They only have four real D under contract, and he's likely not getting surpassed by Zub or Lajoie. So it would take a few UFA signings or trades in order for him to be pushed out.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    With Boro leaving, that signals a bigger and more consistent role for Reilly (ei not ie). Chabot and Brannstrom should eat up a majority of the PP minutes, but he will see some on the back-end of them. He doesn’t impress me.
    Thanks Skippy. So it sounds like he's getting bigger and more consistent role with the Sens but despite that you're still not a fan or impressed with his play. That gives me pause.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Thanks Skippy. So it sounds like he's getting bigger and more consistent role with the Sens but despite that you're still not a fan or impressed with his play. That gives me pause.
    He wasn't good enough for Montreal to keep...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    He's probably worth a little less than whatever Praba is offering him up for

In all seriousness, he's likely going to be a second/third pair defenceman depending on what the Sens do in free agency, plus some PP2 time.

Sounds like Boro is gone, and Hainsey may be done. They only have four real D under contract, and he's likely not getting surpassed by Zub or Lajoie. So it would take a few UFA signings or trades in order for him to be pushed out.
    You definitely have your finger on the pulse my Eskimo Bro! Ever since you landed in the WHL, i find it increasingly difficult to leverage the forum for trade evaluations. Perhaps I should just stick with DM's to you on the chat! loL