Page 232 of 244 FirstFirst ... 132 182 222 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 242 ... LastLast
Results 3,466 to 3,480 of 3655

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Ottawa Senators

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    While I agree with some of that BMPanarin, the business community in Ottawa is really small and with 30% of the town as civil servants who cannot accept gifts, the presence in and participation to corporate boxes etc. is pretty thin. I don’t think people in this town know their pro hockey as much as other markets but they do know their minor hockey and it is one of the rare locations where a junior team does well in the presence of a pro team. Mississauga, Brampton and Toronto couldn’t swing that despite massive populations.

Reminds me of the Habs of the late 90s. Those were some long, long years. The sens don’t have the tradition of the Habs.. nor the widespread fan base, so I think the team is in serious trouble.

I don't know; their fan base is as knowledgeable as any other. You might find more individual knowledgeable fans in a larger market, but that's just scale. There's a bunch of dummies in every market too.

What has the team in trouble is that Melnyk isn't giving them any reason to care about the team. It's been a long, slow slide that was masked by a few unlikely playoff runs (pesky sens run, hamburglar run, ecf run). He's spent the better part of a decade saying he's not willing to spend and that they have a low budget, he's threatened to move them, he's called them out for not attending when they've had some of the best attendance in the league over the last decade, etc. He has ruined their brand. He has ruined the downtown arena deal. he has ruined the team's relationship with the local media. He has alienated the fans, who still care enough to buy billboards protesting him. He has made the team one of the least desirable places for players. By all accounts he is terrible to deal with, and incredibly stubborn. The best thing for him to do would to put Dorion back in charge of scouting, hire a real GM and President, and not get involved. Not in operations, not in the media, nothing. He needs to be totally hands-off and leave it to the pros. The guy is not a hockey person but thinks he knows what he's doing, and thinks he's doing a good job on top of that. It's hopeless until he gets the message.
    10-team H2H points keeper league, keep 4
    G: 2, A: 2, SOG: 0.15, Hit: 0.15, Block: 0.15, W: 3.5, Sv: 0.025, SO: 6
    7 F, 3 D, 1 G

2022-2023 Roster:
    F: Connor McDavid, Steven Stamkos, Artemi Panarin, Jack Hughes, Mark Stone, Josh Norris, Tyler Bertuzzi, PL Dubois, Sam Bennett, Tom Wilson (IR)
    D: Kris Letang, Drew Doughty, Brent Burns, Shayne Gostisbehere
    G: Ilya Sorokin, Thatcher Demko

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I don't know; their fan base is as knowledgeable as any other. You might find more individual knowledgeable fans in a larger market, but that's just scale. There's a bunch of dummies in every market too.

What has the team in trouble is that Melnyk isn't giving them any reason to care about the team. It's been a long, slow slide that was masked by a few unlikely playoff runs (pesky sens run, hamburglar run, ecf run). He's spent the better part of a decade saying he's not willing to spend and that they have a low budget, he's threatened to move them, he's called them out for not attending when they've had some of the best attendance in the league over the last decade, etc. He has ruined their brand. He has ruined the downtown arena deal. he has ruined the team's relationship with the local media. He has alienated the fans, who still care enough to buy billboards protesting him. He has made the team one of the least desirable places for players. By all accounts he is terrible to deal with, and incredibly stubborn. The best thing for him to do would to put Dorion back in charge of scouting, hire a real GM and President, and not get involved. Not in operations, not in the media, nothing. He needs to be totally hands-off and leave it to the pros. The guy is not a hockey person but thinks he knows what he's doing, and thinks he's doing a good job on top of that. It's hopeless until he gets the message.
    Given that it is impossible for Melnyk to divest himself of his ego or his idiocy, a new owner is best.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopo View Post
    I still think this is a master plan by Melnyk to get approval to move the team, which the NHL doesn't easily allow anymore. He consistently puts the team in no-win situations, but he can always try to spin it.

Just look at his arguments:

"We offered fair contracts for Karlsson, Duchene and Stone and they all declined, so we had to trade them."

"We went to the the semi-finals two years ago and the fans still wouldn't buy tickets."

"We are putting together a young, rebuilding team with a lot of potential, but fans won't support us."

"I tried to get a downtown arena, but my business partner was doing stuff that caused me to sue him for $750 million."

"The city's biggest employer, the federal government, is not allowed to buy tickets."

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I still think this is a master plan by Melnyk to get approval to move the team, which the NHL doesn't easily allow anymore. He consistently puts the team in no-win situations, but he can always try to spin it.

Just look at his arguments:

"We offered fair contracts for Karlsson, Duchene and Stone and they all declined, so we had to trade them."

"We went to the the semi-finals two years ago and the fans still wouldn't buy tickets."

"We are putting together a young, rebuilding team with a lot of potential, but fans won't support us."

"I tried to get a downtown arena, but my business partner was doing stuff that caused me to sue him for $750 million."

"The city's biggest employer, the federal government, is not allowed to buy tickets."
    They're allowed to buy tickets... as individuals and individually... just not corporate boxes or large chunks of seats to give to employees, or offer sponsorship to the arena.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yikes, no Karlsson, Hoffman, Stone, Duchene, Dzingel, but some very good young players. That may not be enough to keep the fans from coming out. Quebec bound? I hope not, but Ottawa fans need to buy tickets if they want to keep their team. Ask Winnipeg how difficult it was for fans not having their team for a few decades.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I still think this is a master plan by Melnyk to get approval to move the team
    If Melnyk doesn't sell a move is inevitable.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    If Melnyk doesn't sell a move is inevitable.
    Just move the team. Ottawa is a junior hockey town.

Administrator

So who is Jack Maxwell?

Dobber Sports Veteran

It's either Mark Borowiecki, Big Ev, or Melnyk is back buying twitter bots.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sens seem to have a lot of bots with random name plus random collection of numbers in the end. Why would any real person add 14140182 to the end of their Twitter handle?

They also have Joe Coladin (@JColadin0582559) and probably a bunch more.

Administrator

Not trying to throw any members (past or present) under the bus here. The Sens have a history of burner accounts (at least highly suspicious ones) and the fallout from this one was pretty amusing.

Tim and Sid coverage of Jack Maxwell:
    https://twitter.com/timandsid/status...16157800656896

Dobber Sports Sage

It would be kind of funny of all the fake Sens fan twitter accounts were actually leaf fans trolling Sens fans... Of course the Sens beat the Oilers today, ultimate troll for Oiler fans...
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Administrator

Patrick Roy is interviewing for the coaching job. If anything the potential clashes with Melnyk would be gold. He definitely wouldn't put up with upper management throwing him under the bus in the media.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Good lord.

CapFriendly@CapFriendly

#Sens are estimated to save $10.1M from injury insurance, & saved $5.5M in signing bonus expenses by trading for players whose SB were already paid.While we project the club to have a cap hit of $65.9M, their estimated NHL roster salary expense is $47.5M.
    The cap floor is $60.2M

Bar Downski@bar_downski

Replying to @CapFriendly
    Meanwhile, in Toronto...Leafs paid more in signing bonuses ($59.8M) than Sens will pay all year in salary expenses, and their total salary expenses this year are almost $100M. And that's before they sign Marner.

Dobber Sports Master

The haves and have-nots of the Nhl...