Page 2 of 244 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Leclaire had a very good outing against Pittsburgh this afternoon. He still gives up some juicy rebounds that he kicks back into the slot but he made some in tight highlight reel saves.

Karlsson looked great as well, mounting a few end to end rushes and also getting an assist and 7 SOG with a + 1 rating. He took a bad penalty that led to a goal but it was a rather chintsy call. I don't see how CC can sit him again. The Sens equalled their shot total over the last two games in the first period.

2 things: the Pittsburgh anouncers are bruuuuutal and I found the reffing to be lopsided. Ottawa definitely could have pulled out a W with some bounces going the other way.
    1 Year 18 Team H2H Category Wins (Daily Starts)

G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIM, SOG, GWG, BK, Hits, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4D, 1 Util, 2 G (5 B)

C: Getzlaf, Kesler, Mackinnon
    LW: Benn, Hartnell, N. Foligno, T. Ruutu (C)
    RW: Clarkson, Clutterbuck, Bennett
    D: Karlsson, Phaneuf, Giordano, Faulk, Meszaros
    G: Lunqvist, Ramo, Khudobin

Banned

Yeah the refs were bad but I still blame the team for not getting any offence yet again. 1 goal on 43 shots is just bad. They had at least 3 PP chances too.

Agreed, the PP looked like crap, terrible puck movement and they had little success getting the puck in. Kovalev was pretty much back to his invisible self and Fisher is not playing his usual high-intensity game. Looks like Kuba is finding his rhythym though, I thought he had a pretty good game.

My problem with the reffing was that they really ended up affecting the game. Karlsson's interference call lead to a goal which is fine as it was interference, but then Fisher gets dumped with no call and Goli pops the game winner. I see that pick play getting called all the time and Walcom/L'Ecuyer for sure saw it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I just read on Twitter Bob McKenzie that Ottawa has put D man Brian Lee on waivers?? thoughts boys?? I thought this kid had skills!!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    I just read on Twitter Bob McKenzie that Ottawa has put D man Brian Lee on waivers?? thoughts boys?? I thought this kid had skills!!
    No, he's garbage. Too soft and doesn't have NHL skills...terrible pick by Muckler drafting a high-school defenseman.

Foligno was playing on the top line with Spezza and Alfreddson in Montreal last night. Looked good and got a nice goal off a very nice feed from Spezza. Just don't get your hopes up just yet.

Leclaire was solid again, Sens refuse to score with him in nets. Or at all for that matter....

I would expect the Bobby Butler experiment to be over very soon. Regin should be back in the lineup and hopefully will have some jump.

Kuba was brutal, I know I said he looked like he was getting his legs back but some boneheaded decisions were his contribution to the Sens loss. Almost $4 mil going to this guy....

Administrator

Don't want to sound too negative but the Sens were brutal last night. I hope it's not like that every night because they were "New Jersey Devils" bad. Karlsson did show some spark which I like.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

Rangers going to destroy Ottawa tonight. That is all.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Not much positive can be said about the Sens other than that the season is half over and a high draft pick is looming....

Cowen looked good in the WJC though, but from a fantasy perspective I don't see what he can really bring in the show. He has ok puck skills for a big man, and a decent first pass out of the zone but I don't think he'll ever be a Pronger type whose able to anchor a PP. It will be interesting to see if he makes the team next year out of training camp.

Lehner was pretty good for Sweden, he's definitely intense and wants to win which is nothing but a positive.

Also the rumour mill has it that Pierre Mcguire might be entering the organization in some fashion, have to wait and see....

Banned

Cowen was good, but I feel he will show more offense later in his pro career like he has in Spokane this season. He wasn't given much PP time at all, and I would assume that they coaching staff wanted him to play d first and let the forwards and other d-men like Ellis take care of the offense. He just wasn't needed in an offensive role at this tourney.

Others have compared him to Braydon Coburn. I think that's a perfect comparison

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default some thoughts

After reading Dobs mid-season guide and noticing he has placed our beloved Ottawa Senators with the 2nd worst losing record I have a few thoughts.

1. Sad for Captain Daniel. After captaining(is that a word) one of the most dominant teams for 5-10 years it seems as though his final 2-3 years won't be as prosperous. Unless.....

2. Finishing that high in lottery position could be exactly what this team needs. After having one the best offensive gifted forward corps for years, and a not so gifted defense corps Ottawa was forced to draft some high end offensive D prospects. Unfortunately, with the recent turn of events magnified by Heaters deception we now find ourselves with the opposite problem. Our defense core looks to be well stocked for the near future, but our team are the proud owners of the most offensively shallow forwards in the entire league(prospect all the way through to the nhl level). Hopefully with some high-end forward prospects added this summer we can quickly rectify this problem.

Does anyone think that this squad needed Tarasenko more so than Rundblad? (even though he looks to be a great pickup)

3. Did Cory Clouston's more defensive system lead to Heatley's betrayal and further anguish this squad? I hate blaming coaching, and admit that Clouston is a good coach (albeit maybe not for this team) but we were blessed with an offensive Juggernaut for so long its difficult for me to watch a team who struggles so much to score goals. Did this system chase Heatley, and change Spezza from a 100 point centre into a 70 point centre?

Is it time for yet another coaching change? I for one would love an attempt to bring back the glory days. I miss seeing front page news in the sun asking the public to give a nickname to the most dominant line in hockey. Let's try and bring back the Pizza Line.

Just my thoughts
    SK (a sad sen fad looking for hope)

Banned

Clouston won't be coaching next season, I think that's pretty much a system. However, I don't think he really has a defensive system, he just wants his players to be responsible. I don't see anything wrong with that. If players like Heatley can't live with at least giving somewhat of an effort at both ends of the ice, then screw 'em. Spezza has been a decent two-way player this season, but his production all stems because he has lost Heatley and Alfie has aged. He's a guy who needs other star players to help him produce, he'll never be somebody who carries a team on his back.

As for our prospects, we don't have an elite forward prospect, but we definitely don't have the most shallow forward prospect group. Calgary, Toronto, and others are all much worse off. Guys like Andre Petersson, Jakob Slifverberg, Markus Sorenson,Bobby Butler, etc. aren't your blue-chip elite guys but they have potential to really help this team in the future (especially the Swedes IMO). After this draft we will get at least one top-end prospect, plus a lot more in all the other rounds (and we should have a lot more picks if we are sellers at the deadline).

During the "glory days" this team had arguably the best defence in the NHL. We also had great puck-moving d-men in Chara, Redden, and even Corvo who really helped the Pizza Line produce like they did. It's much easier to find offensive prospects than defense prospects, so it's nice to know that we have so many good-looking young d-men in our farm system. This is Murray's vision - build the team from the net out.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just a quick question....

Any idea when All-Star game ticks are going on sale for next year in Ottawa?
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    Just a quick question....

Any idea when All-Star game ticks are going on sale for next year in Ottawa?
    A little late (lol) but I'm not sure. I think they will be primarily sold to season ticket holders first.

Banned

Haven't updated this in a while. A coupe of things going on:

-Curtis McElhinney gets the start tonight against the Lightning. He has looked good and I think they will sign him to be the backup for next year and beyond.

-Mike Brophy reports that the Sens and Craig Anderson have begun talking about a contract extension (My guess, 3 years 3M, or 2 years 3.5M).

-Daniel Alfredsson says he wants to play again this season.

-Roman Wick was recalled before the previous game and he looked decent. Has a chance next year if he has a good camp.

-Peter Regin is obviously injured right now, but he will need to have a good camp and preseason next year to earn a roster spot. Right now, Erik Condra, Colin Greening, and Bobby Butler are all looking much better than Regin has all season and next year guys like Jakob Silfverberg, Derek Grant and whoever the Sens draft this season are all going to be competing for spots. Regin needs to get his act together or he may be traded or even waived.

-Jason Spezza looks awesome right now and is really showing leadership and maturity on and off the ice. Not his biggest fan, but he will need to be big if the Sens want to make the playoffs next year.