Page 13 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 23 63 113 ... LastLast

Thread: Ottawa Senators

Administrator

Any thoughts on Da Costa? How has he been looking, and do you think he has a chance at sticking past 9 games?
    Dobbernomics.com | Twitter @dobbernomics
    FantasyHockeyGeek.com | Twitter @FantasyHockeyGk

G(2), A(1), +-(1), PIM(0.25), PPP(2), SHP(3), HITS(0.1), BS(0.1), W(5), L(-2), SV(0.2), GA(-1), SO(5)

Banned

Da Costa has looked better than expected. He is very offensive minded, shifty, and creative. He makes very nice passes and makes his linemates better. Although he only played 14 minutes or so last night. He looks like he COULD be a good second line centre down the road.

9 games has nothing to do with Da Costa. He is a professional hockey player, he can go up and down from Binghamton at any time. The only player that is on a 9 game stint is Zibanejad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    What can we expect from Regin thie year? Long term? He lost a lot of luster last year- does he get back some of that shine this season? Or has his time passed with guys like BB and Zijinimawhatsamawhooshit passing him by?
    Well first of all, I think everybody (myself included) overrated him quite a bit. He had a bad year last year, but before that he never really had any "lustre" and was never amazing. He had like a good 3 weeks to end the year.

I have no clue what he will do this year but his puck possession is still very good and plays a "Red Wing" type of game, which the coach obviously would like to play. His line was buzzing last night and Regin is the second line centre for this year unless somebody else wants to prove otherwise.

If he stays healthy I think he has a pretty surprising year. Long term I think he can be a very good offensive-minded third line centre with a chance at being a good second line centre. But this year is huge for him. Sort of a make or break with so many prospects and players that are nipping at the heels in Ottawa for next season.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 12, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Thanks Ev. Have to say though, I disagree on Rundblad, at least regarding his showing in the portions of the game I saw (parts of the 2nd and 3rd periods). To me, while Rundblad showed some decent offensive skill jumping into the play, overall his play was pretty raw and especially bad in the defensive end. A couple of plays where he had brutal giveaways and on one occasion he skated out in front of his own net and basically ran into his defensive partner. The kid's obviously got skill but he needs lots of seasoning -then again, I do recognize that Karlsson had similar growing pains at the beginning of last season and it still turned out alright, I just don't know how much rope Maclean will give Rundblad (last year, Clouston obviously didn't use that as an excuse to cut Karlsson's ice time).
    The guy's a rookie and it was his first game. He will take time to develop but they clearly think it is best for him to do it in the NHL, and I agree. Learn the position in the best league possible.

I don't think he was too terrible defensively last night, aside from the giveaways and being tired/losing his position on some plays. At least his partner Phillips was very good so it allowed him to take some more risks.

With a guy like him I don't like to focus too much on the negatives. He was nowhere near perfect or amazing, but I saw glimpses of offense that impressed me, so I thought I would include him in the writeup.

He will take time to truly grasp the position in the NHL, but defence is something that you can teach, especially for a guy who has excellent hockey IQ and decent size like Rundblad has.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 12, 2011 at 12:59 PM.

Banned

Oh yeah and Erik Karlsson already has 5 assists in his first 3 games. He is something else.

He's probably hoping he keeps this scoring pace up since the is an RFA at the end of the season.

Banned

Just wanted to chime in again and say that I am wavering in whether or not I think ZIbanejad will play here past 9 games. He CAN play here, but the question is why would they need him to if most of the other forwards are playing well? There is no point in scratching Filatov and Butler continuously.

Whatever they decide to do with him is probably the right choice, they know how to handle these prospects, but I think he could use 1 more solid development year to improve his offensive skills and puck handling (which is pretty weak right now). If they keep him year, they believe it's better for him to develop those skills at the NHL level.

I'm just thinking there is a chance he goes back now that Regin is healthy again and guys like Da Costa are showing their worth.

We'll see what happens.

Dobber Sports Ace

BIGEV
    There is no point in scratching Filatov and Butler continuously.
    Is there any indication of the reason for the scratch?? From what I have read in your previous posts Filatov was working hard, backchecking and one of the better players despite not putting up the points yet?

Why is he suddenly in the dog house?
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
    BIGEV

Is there any indication of the reason for the scratch?? From what I have read in your previous posts Filatov was working hard, backchecking and one of the better players despite not putting up the points yet?

Why is he suddenly in the dog house?
    The coach said he wasn't disappointed in him, so I wouldn't say he's in the dog house. 2 forwards need to be scratched every night, and with Regin coming back somebody had to be scratched with Butler.

Filatov was working hard but I wouldn't say he was one of their better players. There just wasn't anybody else who deserved to sit, really.

I think he was being lazy or something last practice, and with his ok but not great play he was an obvious candidate to sit out.

They put out the line-up that they thought would help them win, and they won.

I think it's a tad silly with these "and so it beings" comments. Young players are scratched every now and then. It happens.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    The coach said he wasn't disappointed in him, so I wouldn't say he's in the dog house. 2 forwards need to be scratched every night, and with Regin coming back somebody had to be scratched with Butler.

Filatov was working hard but I wouldn't say he was one of their better players. There just wasn't anybody else who deserved to sit, really.

I think he was being lazy or something last practice, and with his ok but not great play he was an obvious candidate to sit out.

They put out the line-up that they thought would help them win, and they won.

I think it's a tad silly with these "and so it beings" comments. Young players are scratched every now and then. It happens.
    LOL, I agree and just grabbed him in 2 leagues for absolutely nothing. I figure he just needs a little more time to adjust to a new system. I'm not expecting huge things from him but you never know. Too early to bail.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Killer67 View Post
    LOL, I agree and just grabbed him in 2 leagues for absolutely nothing. I figure he just needs a little more time to adjust to a new system. I'm not expecting huge things from him but you never know. Too early to bail.
    Nice to hear a bit of common sense where Filatov is concerned. I know the kid was hyped beyond all expectation in the past but it has been two games and people are talking like he should be dropped because he doesn't have 10 points already.
    12 Team H2H keeper league
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Hits, GWG & SOG. W, GAA, SV% & SHO
    Daily changes, Start: 3C 3LW 3RW 6D 1F 2W 2G - 10 Bench

Banned

Yeah I'm not saying the guy is going to amaze, it's just sad to see so many write him off and think he sucks/the coaches hate him because they scratched him. Nobody is talking about Bobby Butler being scratched, and he was held in higher regard by management and expected to play with Jason Spezza.

Even if he did nothing special this year, I can still see Ottawa try to re-sign him since he is an RFA.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 13, 2011 at 8:33 AM.

Banned

Game 4 - Avs @ Sens - Heritage Jersey Night

Line-up:

Greening-Spezza-Zibanejad
    Michalek-Da Costa-Alfredsson
    Foligno-Regin-Neil
    Smith-Butler

Kuba-Karlsson
    Phillips-Rundblad
    Cowen-Gonchar
    Lee

Anderson gets the start

Bobby Butler back in the lineup. Erik Condra comes out.
    Last edited by Big Ev; October 13, 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I agree with Ev's take on Zibanejad. Looks like he probably could use another year of seasoning inthe A or back in Sweden. But I doubt it will hurt his development to stay in the bigs.

The Sens might as well use this season to see if they really have a player in Filatov or Butler. Not much use having them sit in the press box or play on the 4th line.

Banned

It appears Brian Lee will be back in the lineup tonight, and Konopka will not play. Still waitnig fo an update there. Not that it's fantasy relevant at all though lol

Banned

Word is the coaches and management will meet this weekend to decide if Zibanejad sticks around this year.

Filatov assigned to Binghamton. Could be back up if Zibanejad is sent back. Or he could not.