Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 29 69 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 89 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 1474

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

I'll add my 2 yen to this

The issue is not really if Kreider, Fast or even Trouba are effective players. (They are) but that NY cannot afford to keep all their UFA/RFA going forward over the next season or three.

So NY is in unfamiliar territory and I honestly don't know IF this franchise has ever been in this position. I cannot recall NY ever being a seller going into the deadline with a great farm system and more NHL assets to trade for even more kicks at the prospect can. Its unprecedented and a very exciting time to be a die hard Rangers fan. Obviously expectations need to be checked especially after the Lias Andersson choice...

The pipeline has some fine looking players with NHL upside. Critics would probably point to a lack of high end pure centermen in the system, which is a valid topic, however we can return to this issue later.

The current situation is what the team is going to do with a deadline coming and talent available for teams making a possible push for a run at the finals. NY can also take on cap room from a team in need of relief which will improve any returns they get on the players they do trade.

Kreider should fetch a very nice return as he brings playoff experience, size and skating to any team acquiring him. I'm not sure he will get a better return than Hayes simply because Kevin plays center and there is a premium at that position. I certainly hope CK provides NY with more assets than Hayes did on that much I think all NYR fans agree. In an ideal world there is a bidding war for him and a GM feeling the heat pulls the trigger thinking "if my team wins it all, the price will be worth it, and if we falter I might be out of the job anyway."

Considering that Davidson/Gorton waited until just before the deadline to begin discussions strike me as a change in mindset at MSG. Are we seeing a new level for CK ? If so he is worth locking up. The question is at what price and how do the bigger guys age into their 30s. There are quite a few other questions that need to be answered in this situation and we are going to get a good idea about how NY values CK if they keep him, or how much other teams are willing to pay for a playoff run with him on the roster. Good times for all fantasy GMs ! I know I am excited about the developing story.

Fast is an interesting twist. He has a very good overall game, with very little scoring thus putting him on a checking line with PK time or as the defensive presence with a player who drives play such as Panarin. If he is coming back I don't think he deserves much of raise and NY can turn to a younger player who can provide the things Fast brings to the team. Jesper is 28 years old now and 33 points is his career high point total. What is the point in drafting younger players only to block them at the NHL level by having Fast on the roster. Yes he wears an "A" on his sweater and is by all accounts well liked by the team as well as management. The issue is that his age and salary will likely force a move out of town. The team moved on from Zucarello, I think they trade Fast as well. Good luck to him, he has been a fine Ranger player.

Trouba at 25 years old has put up 24 points in 58 GP which is almost a carbon copy of his 17-18 season in Manitoba. His NTC goes into effect at the start of next season and remains a full NTC for 4 seasons. The last 2 years he has a modified NTC. He will be 30 years old then and I think the thought process by the bean counters is that the cap will be even higher by then so he shouldn't be as big a cap hit as he is now. Then again they can fit both him and Panarin on the club with plenty of extra cash to spend up to the cap. His game is hardly flawless, but he brings a physical element that NY has sorely lacked for years, he puts the puck on net creating offensive chances on rebounds and deflections too. This is a rather rare in NY where the players are often pass happy and slide the puck back and forth while fans scream to shoot the puck. Trouba is just the sort of player NY needs. Is he overpaid ? Sure I guess so, but considering what NY is paying Skjei, Staal, Lundqvist and Beleskey, this fan will take the 8 megabuck hit. Can he be more ? yeah sure. I think the same can be said for every player. I like what he has brought so far. This is a very young team that is still learning how to play NHL level hockey. They lack consistency and are in the tail end of a transition phase. Trouba is the rock on the backend like it or not.

I understand why some might want to move him out the door, but I'd much prefer to see Skjei gone. Brady at 5.25 or Jacob at 8 ? I'll take the 8 million dollar boy.

I also reckon Marc Staal and Henrik retire as Rangers after next season is done.

Shat was brought in before JD took over. This was a Slats/Gorton decision. Local kid, experienced player and NY was looking to bring in some players to continue to compete at a higher level. This was a veteran team under AV and Kevin Shattenkirk fit the needs of the club very well at the time. He took less to come to NY as well. Like Trouba I think the expectations on him were unrealistic. He got injured, faltered and was never really able to bring a full season of high end play to the club. He was bought out over Staal for reasons I cannot understand, but I guess Marc brings things to the team that Shat doesn't or can't.

I think JD has a very different mindset and has the experience and support of ownership to make the moves he thinks will bring NY another run at the championship.
    The 64,000 question is what will CK's salary demand and term be ? Does it hamstring NY when they need to resign the developing younger players who are really starting to click nicely. For that reason alone I think he is gone, but it makes good strategic sense to at least talk to him now and see what his expectations are. They could always try and bring him back for next season after making a trade for him at the deadline. Then again after the stupid money Philly spent on Kevin Hayes, I doubt we ever see Christopher Kreider in NY blues again.

I want to talk about the center pipeline but have gone on long enough about the team for one posting.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

Jesper Fast with 2 critical goals tonight vs Los Tiburones !

Perfect timing before the deadline

Pending UFA, reasonable contract, defensively responsible.

Love it
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Master

They should keep him to make a run. They are making a heck of a run and will need all hands on deck. He won't cost much to re-up in the offseason. He's an important player for them. Worth keeping.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

I cant see the isles and rangers making a deal but it sounds like its between the avs and isles for CK.

open market I can see Kreider getting 7x7

Dobber Sports Superstar

Stop f*cking winning
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    Stop f*cking winning
    Don’t wanna make the playoffs?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Don’t wanna make the playoffs?
    absolutely not, they're promising but far from ready giving up 40 plus shots a game, the defense is atrocious and they have no business against the likes of Boston, Washington, Vegas, etc. Here and now what is more important is landing the highest pick possible in the first round of a deep draft this summer and landing another potential difference maker. Every win moves them further and further down the draft board, for me burning this year is a no brainer and start worrying about contention next season.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Svech,Thoma s,ChandlerS.,Jenner,Couts,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Gudas,Harley
    G:Jarry,Ingram,Kotchetkov
    IR:Murphy,Rust,Guentzel

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Schmaltz
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Lehkonen
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov
    IR: Zegras,Norris,Vilardi,Kempe

Dobber Sports Stud

The NY fishwrap is reporting that Kreider and NYR cannot reach an agreement on a deal

The Rangers would have gone forward with Kreider as part of the rebuild. This was not an automatic recycling of a veteran. This was not a choice to take a step back in order to attempt to take two or three steps forward two or three years down the line. Instead, the choice by management was not to go seven years on a contract and the choice by Kreider was not to accept six

https://nypost.com/2020/02/23/chris-...tract-impasse/

Dobber Sports Stud

I think the playoff push has thrown a bit of a monkey wrench in the works.

NY has really come together over the past month or two.

I agree with Luigi in that their defensive effort is not good. The shots against are crazy and just like Hank did for a LONG TIME, now Igor is making NY look good.
    San Jose was the better team last night, but Igor stole the show.
    The roster is among the youngest if not the youngest team in the NHL. They are coming together as a team, and I see the synergy starting to brew. Its great to see, but its hardly set yet.

I wouldn't complain if NY made the playoffs, but its going to be a tough road to get there. In fact I doubt they get there. This team is just too inconsistent.

The above post indicates that Kreider is probably gone so the other pending free agents are as well

Dobber Sports Master

The Rangers only had discipline problems yesterday; couldn't stay out of the box. If they fix that, their current roster is interesting. Kreider will probably be traded but it's a shame because the way the team is trending they could really make a push, which is important for the confidence of their players. Also, who cares if Shesterkin is stealing the show, that's the benefit of having a lights-out goalie. I say take it and ride it.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No starts for Georgiev this week, I can imagine? I thought for sure Lundqvist would start against the Canes couple of nights ago, but that wasn't necessary.
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Stud

Did you watch the game ?

They were outplayed by a Sharks team missing some key players.

NY has had a game stealing goalie for almost as long as I have been watching them. From JD to Beezer, Hank and my personal favorite Mike Richter. Igor is really looking like the trend continuing for sure.

Stating the obvious but its the number of teams between NY and the post season that is concerning, not the current streak of play that concerns this fan.

I love NY to take it, but for decades NY has gone for it. Its a strategic decision, not a tactical one

Kreider-man re-ups, 7x$6.5

Edited to add:

Shestyorkin and Buchnevich were in a car accident last night. Buch is OK, Shesty has a fractured rib. If JD and JG can't read the signs that the hockey gods are sending them to kick the can on this season and retool for next I'm not sure what it'll take.

So is this it? We added Gauthier and resigned Kreids, full stop? No capitalizing on Strome's inflated value or shedding Skjei to the rumored handful of interested suitors? The team has gotten better, and Panarin's otherworldly play has dragged them a full notch higher than I expected, but we all know this is not a competitive team. They really needed to put themselves in a better position to compete next year and beyond, both in terms of personnel and cap management, and I don't see the plan right now. Status quo is not good enough and there are major challenges upcoming this offseason that they didn't take the opportunity to get a jump on. I know it takes two to tango but it hasn't been a quiet deadline, there had to have been trade options that benefit the team, even if the payoff was 2-3 years down the line or more of an addition-by-subtraction move.

Feeling confused and let down - we should have been selling or buying and managed to do neither. I'm just hoping they laid the groundwork for offseason moves.

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    or shedding Skjei to the rumored handful of interested suitors?
    Well that aged like milk, lol.

To CAR for a 1st.