Page 64 of 99 FirstFirst ... 14 54 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 74 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

Having watched the last 2 games since Andersson & Chytil were called up I thought I post my thoughts on their play. Plus some additional commentary on some of the other younger players on the team.

Chytil is going to be a special player. He has gained about 4 kilos of muscle and yet hasn't lost a step. In fact he has a 2nd gear that he put on display in both games. In game 1 vs Tampa he received the puck in mid stride and dipped his shoulder giving himself a very nice scoring chance and this was vs Stamkos who is no slouch. Using his size the shield Stamkos from the puck, the kid pointed himself towards the netminder and made a very nice play.
    It seems like the game somehow slows down for Filip when he has the puck on his stick.
    In the Carolina game he just accelerated away from 2 Cane defenseman for a nifty breakaway that Ward made a very nice save on. The kid deposited the puck to Ward's left just above the pads and the netminder had to be swift with his glove to prevent a goal. Chytil is also playing very well along the boards where he is able to use his powerful frame to move other players as well as the puck. His head is up and looking for teammates who are in position to skate the puck northwards. I was impressed in that many of his passes are not across the ice but rather to a forward skating towards the Carolina blueline.
    He is by far still a work in progress as he did not hustle to get back into the play once the puck was past him and Carolina was moving on an odd man rush. Rather he never crossed the blueline perhaps hoping to be fed the puck for a counter move. So defensive awareness is something he has to work on.
    Overall I would give the kid a B since his recall.

Andersson always has a smile on his face. He clearly loves playing hockey and being in NY with the rangers is probably the icing on the cake. He has a nice stride, good size and vision to create offense down low as well as across the blueline. Coach putting him on the 4th line was a bit frustrating but perhaps using the uptempo play style might suit him while he continues to learn the game at the NHL level. He hasn't displayed the offensive sizzle that Chytil has so far, but there are still a few more games to play before closing the book on the season. AV continuing to dress Deharnais is enough to make me want to pull my hair out. However due to a wrist injury in the Tampa game he was out giving Andersson some time with Namestnikov & Paul Carey. There is no doubt the kid can play in the NHL but I am still uncertain where he best slots into a successful team. Hopefully we will get a chance to see more of him down the stretch.

Pionk has passed Gilmour on the depth chart. The skating and awareness sets him above. Not that Gilmour is a slouch, far from it but Pionk just flies out there and now that he isn't getting punished with the puck and has the confidence to skate with it, I expect some nice things from him next season. He is now shooting the puck when in position to deliver a shot on net and the forwards are not available for a pass. He had some nice PP time and looked very comfortable back there. Very few NHL skaters are going to get past him so perhaps the pinching decision will be crucial for him, but I think that holds for most if not all NHL defensemen. A very promising young defenseman for NY.

Gilmour is keeping his game simple and thus continues to earn AV's trust. He is able to skate stride for stride with enemy forwards while near Hank, reaching out with his stick to thwart offensive chances. NY could do much worse than to have him on the roster next season.

Ogara is covering the minutes but do not generate much if any offense and so will have to be paired with a partner who can skate. Both he and Sproul have ample size and can clear the crease nicely but when the puck is on their stick its a little bit cringeworthy resulting in an icing or turnover as often as a breakout. Sproul did have a nice look and goal on a great setup in the Carolina game.

It would have been interesting if DeAngelo had been healthy to see how he would have fit into the mix.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

My longshot UFA signing call for NY this season is JT from the islanders.

NY has the cap space currently at 24 million plus, JT already knows the NY metro area and the Rangers are a class organization.

Ask Gretzky, Messier, Lafleur, Dionne. They have all cashed paychecks from MSG.

Nobody to really challenge JT for top dog, although Zibanejad is an also ran. I think many would argue and indeed still are saying he is a better fit on the 2nd line.

Yes I know NY has to retain RFAs
    Kevin Hayes
    Brady Skjei
    Vlad Namestnikov
    Ryan Spooner
    Jimmy Vesey
    Ogara & Gilmour

but there is space to sign JT to a max offer

It would put NYR in a very strong position down the middle
    JT
    Zibanejad
    Hayes
    with Boo, Chytil & Andersson in the "pipeline"

I know its highly unlikely but since NY has the cap space and is well known for bringing in the big name talent I think its relevant to include the club in the possible JT destination talk
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

Not that he needs it but the best of luck to AV

His body of work clearly shows he is a top coach, but I found some of his decisions on the current roster to be downright frustrating

David Deharnais getting PP time on a team that was either pushing for a playoff spot or trading assets and going with kids just makes no sense

The manner in which he handled JT Miller was also vexing. Yet JT was a turnover machine and made more than his share of boneheaded plays but common AV. Playing JT on the 4th line ?

He fell in love with Gilmour when both he and Pionk got the callup. Yet Pionk is clearly the superior player AT THIS POINT yet AV kept giving Gilmour more ice time. It was only when Pionk really started to shine that he pretty much forced AVs hand. Obviously just my humble opinion but coach's modus operandi is questionable at times. Calling out Kreider for the retaliation when Stamkos mugged McDonagh. Thats something that Torts would do and then not keeping it in the locker room. Kind of bush league if you ask me.

So as I said, the best of luck to him. He is a great coach but NOT the right guy for the new kids on the MSG block

bon chance AV

Dobber Sports Stud

For those not in the know here is an interesting interview with David Quinn about being named head coach of the 2019 U.S. National Junior Team.

https://twitter.com/usahockey/status/987472693824925696

Dobber Sports Stud

The 2018 picks are finalized for NYR

courtesy of the fishwrap known as the NY Post

After the Lightning lost to the Capitals in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final on Wednesday, the draft order for all three of the Rangers’ first-round picks was set.

They own No. 9 (their own), No. 26 (from Boston) and No. 28 (from Tampa Bay).

They also have two second-round picks and two third-round picks

Dobber Sports Stud

Uncle Larry is suggesting Kevin Hayes could be traded, and that 2 of Spooner, Namestnikov & Vesey could also be gone.

Thus opening up spots for Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil in the middle.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Uncle Larry is suggesting Kevin Hayes could be traded, and that 2 of Spooner, Namestnikov & Vesey could also be gone.

Thus opening up spots for Lias Andersson and Filip Chytil in the middle.
    Hayes & Vesey I can see, Vesey never met the hype... Was the last quarter of the season the real deal for Spooner? Of them all - Namestnikov is the one I would want to keep. I'd actually prefer Hayes 2nd over Spooner. I would kick myself for letting him go to just find out AV cut into his offensive potential.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Yup, I follow the logic there.

I read somewhere that NY feels Namestnikov to be a center, but maybe that was AV speaking ?

Vesey lacks the consistency I think we were all hoping for. He has the wheels, the size, the attitude but just doesn't bring "it" on a regular basis. That could be due to his rank on the pecking order as well.

I don't see Spooner as the kind of player who drives play North and South, but rather a distributor in much the same was as Zucarello. I am not sure how Spooner fits into things with the team as well.

I am not buying that Hayes is a 2nd pairing center on a playoff contender yet. So are his numbers at the high point or is there another level with him ?

If all of them, Namestnikov, Spooner & Hayes are blocking 2nd line ice time for Chytil/Anderson I see the rationale on trading them. Then again having Chytil/Anderson earn that spot might be better in the long run for the team dynamic.

Its a good problem to have for NY

Dobber Sports Stud

Its kind of nice to see NYR not making any headlines this offseason

Dobber Sports Stud

Kravtsov to return for final year in khl

Dobber Sports Stud

NY round out the coaching staff

https://nypost.com/2018/07/17/ranger...oaching-hires/

The plan calls for Oliver and Ruff to accompany Quinn behind the bench while Brown will be upstairs. Brown and Ruff will work with the defense. Ruff, who along with goaltending coach Benoit Allaire survived the purge that cost Vigneault and assistants Scott Arniel and Darryl Williams their jobs, will be responsible for the penalty kill, while Oliver and Brown will share responsibility for the power play.

Thanks Uncle Larry

Dobber Sports Stud

Pretty solid center capable depth

Mika Zibanejad
    Vlad Namestnikov
    Kevin Hayes
    Ryan Spooner
    Boo Nieves
    Lias Andersson
    Filip Chytil
    Brett Howden

Granted that a few of these guys will either be traded or move to the wing but overall this fan is liking the names on this list

Dobber Sports Stud

Continuing on a few more interesting bits to note

first is a report from Dave Maloney who mentioned that the 3 players tested to be in the worst physical shape before the 17-18 season were
    Shattenkirk
    Zibanejad
    Brendan Smith

Of note Smith apparently has lost 15 pounds and is hoping to earn a spot on the big club this season.
    Once Zibanejad had played himself into shape he put up some very nice numbers but as to why he came into camp in such poor shape ? Thats a mystery and could have been part of the reason he was rumored to be on the block.
    Shat hurt himself and was never really healthy last season, I've read his PT is going well and he appears fully healthy heading into camp. One of the interesting side benefits to a complete PT course is that the workout programs are total packages including stretching, dietary and core work.

I look for all 3 to make significant strides in helping NY become a bubble playoff team this upcoming season.

Another interesting tidbit is that NY has locked up Brady Skjei to a 5.25 annual cap hit through to his age 30 season. Personally I like this deal very much as it locks the kid as a homegrown Rangers product through his prime seasons. Many are suggesting he makes the first pairing with Shat to start the season.

and finally I thought I would post this press conference with Gordie Clark on Jun 23 talking about NY's first round picks, especially Kravtsov.
    https://www.nhl.com/rangers/video/go...422/c-60657603

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey DP, how's your summer? As a Rangers fan do you know much about MSG?

The family and I are going to NY in October for the wifes 50th and amazingly the Rangers are playing the Flames the day we arrive (the trip was booked before the schedule came out so a total fluke), so now I am trying to secure some tickets for the game. Level 100 seems really pricey but 200 seems a bit better, or at least a price I can convince the wife to let me pay. How is the view from level 200, I don't want to be so high you cannot get a good view of the players and game.

Any help would be appreciated

Dobber Sports Ace

Im not don, but I'm from NY. I've never had a bad seat in the garden. I haven't been to a game in a while, but in the 200's I think you'll get a good view. If I remember correctly that level is pretty low around the nets but towards center ice it can climb all the way up