Page 60 of 99 FirstFirst ... 10 50 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 70 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: New York Rangers

He has the skills no doubt about it. Right now he is battling with consistency which is a common problem for younger players in the NHL. Add to it that he is really just a big kid in what is arguably the greatest city in the world. Coach wants he to show up for the daily grind and Buch has NOT answered the bell on every ring so AV is changing his linemates as a carrot stick to motivate him.

I see little doubt that Buchnevich will be top 6 for NY for quite a few years going forward. Assuming he isn't injured or another team covets him highly enough and his contract demands force Gorton's hand into a trade.

His future outlook is going to be time on the PP, offensive zone minutes and with a quality centerman who can feed him the puck.

His wrister is nasty and he can beat goalies off the rush, which is at a premium in the league. He has the wheels, the size and the grit to be a complete hockey player too.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

Well Shattenkirk is toast. I think we all kind of knew he was battling something as his stride and play style was a bit off since he came to MSG.

Hoping the surgery is a success and the rehab gets him into top shape. He seems to think he will make it back before the end of the season and I have little reason to doubt his desire.

This fan is really looking forward to seeing him fully healthy on NEXT season's squad.

This opens the door for a move from the AHL. Staal is not making this road trip either so NY needs someone to fill in even with both Smith and Kampfer in the lineup.

Who will it be ?

fingers crossed for Graves to get the call...
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

call this one post padding as I don't want to edit the previous post.

NY Post is saying Tony DeAngelo will get the call for this road trip.

Best of luck to him

A brief quote from him

“I don’t want to try to do too much, but at the same time, it’s not about me just sticking to basics,” the 22-year-old defenseman told The Post. “I think there are aspects of my game that set me apart and that’s what I’m going to try to show.

“I’ve been working on the 200-foot game, the defensive side and being more physical at times, but I think my game is opening up on offense, as long as I pick my spots.”

https://nypost.com/2018/01/19/ranger...ve-he-belongs/

Dobber Sports Stud

wow quite a lot of news today for NY

Lias Andersson is coming across the pond to play in the AHL

This is very exciting news as he can get some game time with Filip Chytil as well.

Kevin Hayes will not play vs the Avalanche

Dobber Sports Stud

Rick Nash with 2 goals in the first period of tonights Ducks game, DeAngelo picked up an assist

Dobber Sports Superstar

though they'll never commit to a full rebuild in Manhattan it is truly time to sell off assets and get something in return to get younger and more skilled. This team although injured just does not have the goods anymore.
    Girouxsalem
    (G,A,PIM,PPP,GWG,FOW,SOG,HIT, BLK)(W,SV,SO,GAA,SV%)

F:B.Tkachuk,Alien,Stutzle,Miller,Connor,Guentzel,Sv ech,Thomas,Rust,Jenner,Bennett,Tolvanen,Danault,Sc hwartz,Arvidsson
    D:Carlson,Nurse,Theodore,Matheson,Harley,Pettersson
    G:Jarry,Kotchetkov,Stolarz
    IR:Gudas,Vilardi

ThePeterNorthStars
    G(4),A(2),PIM(1),PPP(2),SHP(3.5),GWG(2),SOG(.5),FO W(.25),FOL(-.25),HIT(.75),BLK(.5) G:W(6)L(-4)GA(-2)SV(.5)SHO(4)

C: Ziba,
    Tro,Kempe,Vilardi
    L: Drai,Forsberg,Tolvanen,Nyquist
    RW:​ Tippett,Boldy,Meier,Raymond
    D: Josi,McAvoy,Carlson,Theodore,Faber,Montour,Sanderson
    G: Shest,Kotchetkov

Dobber Sports Stud

Chytil scored the game winner the other night, so at least there is some talent in the cupboard. Further they aren't rushing things like poor Manny Malhotra so perhaps things will eventually be looking up

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting piece written by Larry Brooks confirming managements decision to sell going into the deadline

https://nypost.com/2018/01/26/mcdona...to-blow-it-up/

We will see how close to the selling prices Brooks suggests hopefully Jeff Gorton can get at least the "selling" prices

Dobber Sports Expert

Just wondering what you think Pavel Buchs upside is?

Dobber Sports Ace

I agree with what dobber wrote in his guide: one day buch should lead the rags in scoring. I personally think his “upside” based on skill set is 30-45-75, but I don’t believe he gets that high. 1st I see him being a little more playmaker than goal scorer, so he’d really benefit if a CK would actually develop into a 35+ G guy but I don’t see that likely happening. Even a Nash of 3-4 years ago, but that’s not happening either. 2nd, He’s definitely had issues with consistency and gaining trust from AV. To me, from what I’ve seen, I see him having issues at 5 on 5. He needs to improve that aspect to becomes a true star in the league. Maybe under a different regime he can approach those numbers but for now, I’d expect more in the 20-25G 55-60 points as a safer view of “upside”. The skill set is there, so I like to gamble on that, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he falls into that lower end of upside (60ish) which isn’t horrible in today’s nhl

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by roenick27 View Post
    I agree with what dobber wrote in his guide: one day buch should lead the rags in scoring. I personally think his “upside” based on skill set is 30-45-75, but I don’t believe he gets that high. 1st I see him being a little more playmaker than goal scorer, so he’d really benefit if a CK would actually develop into a 35+ G guy but I don’t see that likely happening. Even a Nash of 3-4 years ago, but that’s not happening either. 2nd, He’s definitely had issues with consistency and gaining trust from AV. To me, from what I’ve seen, I see him having issues at 5 on 5. He needs to improve that aspect to becomes a true star in the league. Maybe under a different regime he can approach those numbers but for now, I’d expect more in the 20-25G 55-60 points as a safer view of “upside”. The skill set is there, so I like to gamble on that, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he falls into that lower end of upside (60ish) which isn’t horrible in today’s nhl
    Nice post. Very reasonable.

Dobber Sports Stud

I believe there are a few factors that we have to consider when it comes to Buchnevich. We can start with the easy stuff first;

He is still learning how to communicate in English. Indeed since the start of the season Chris Kreider was speaking to him in Russian. Pavel's English has improved since he first came across the pond. Since a foreign language is critical in making a full and complete transition to a North American lifestyle, including getting medical issues dealt with, financial investments, social engagements and numerous other stuff I think as Buch's English improves his on ice numbers should get better as well.

I think he is still growing too. He put on some very effective core strength this offseason and we can see it in his overall game. He isn't knocked off the puck as often. He should take ANOTHER step forward this offseason as well.

The team, such as it is has undergone a significant change over the past season or two. With Stepan onboard the team was too pass happy IMHO and I think that kind of playmaking mindset filtered down to the younger players like Buch. Zucarello is perhaps the best example of the pass first mentality, despite having a very nice snap shot. With Stepan gone, and perhaps Zuc as well I am not sold on the pass for the perfect setup vs the take the shot mentality is decided for this team going forward. Having said that Buch has a very nice shot and isn't shy about taking it. So I don't buy the position that he will be a pass first kind of player. The flip side of this argument is that perhaps NY needs Buch to be that playmaker... and Pavel's game is good enough to be able to do that for NY. Its its very possible that despite having a finishing shot the team may ask him to keep the puck on stick across the blueline and look to feed others to finish things off. He could become either kind of player which is a mixed blessing.

Consistency for a 22 year old in a foreign country, still learning the language, culture and having millions of dollars coming his way is an issue. Many in NY still remember Don Murdoch whose nickname was "murder". The kid was a lights out shooter but couldn't stay away from the clubs and the white powder. It cost him his career. Could Buch fall into the same pattern ? yup, its a possibility. I have my doubts but who can say what he will do with his money and time when not playing hockey. AV has benched quite a few members of the team recently including JT Miller, Kevin Hayes, Buch as well as a number of defensemen for poor playing decisions. I believe Buchnevich will find that consistency and wants to be the best player on the team, he just isn't there yet.

Under the right circumstances, including injury I think we see Buchnevich hit a high water mark of 40 goals in a career season but you can pencil him in to challenge 30 on a regular basis. A 13% shooting rate over say 200 shots is 26 goals so with the right bounces its not hard to guess a total of 30 over the next few seasons. If he ever really starts getting fed the puck in the high slot on the PP his PPP should improve dramatically. He is currently tied for 2nd on the team in PPP and PPG yet skates less than 15 minutes a night. If he were to take Nash's time that would be a nice uptick in not only opportunities but linemates as well. Don't forget that the aforementioned lack of consistency has occasionally had him skating on the 4th line with guys like Paul Carey.

Once he puts it all together, say by 24 or 25 years old, I think he dominates the game when on the ice.

Dobber Sports Ace

The talent is there. But he’s in his prime now some would argue. I agree on one level with donpaulo, but I think those expectations are too high. I’d expect a lot of 55-60 point seasons. Can he hit 70+? Sure. But I wouldn’t expect it consistently. Use tank as a comparison. He’s essentially a 35-40G 70-75 pt guy. He had language barriers too, but I don’t expect buch to be tank.

Dobber Sports Stud

Yes I agree that he is not tank.
    I think the point I was trying to emphasize is that Buch has tank upside, most likely in a career season BUT that NY may force him into a different role as a distributor rather than a finisher.
    Next season should be a very exciting one both for Buchnevich and NYR fans, I know I am looking forward to it

Dobber Sports Stud

Buchnevich took a nasty shot to the jaw from Gardiner in the 2nd period during the Leafs shutout win. Pavel will be out an undetermined length of time. It could be a concussion or perhaps a broken jaw ? Who is to say but the team took another huge injury hit.

Vesey will get Buch's ice time and hopefully can show some offensive upside.