Page 5 of 99 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry guys I'm back home for the holidays so I don't have centre ice </3 which is why I havent been commenting on much lately...but here are some Ranger notes:

Lines:
    Dubinsky-Stepan-Gaborik Frolov-Anisimov-Zuccarello Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust Avery-Drury-Weise
    -Staal-Girardi, Eminger-Rozsival, Gilroy-Sauer.

Injury Updates:
    -Derek Boogaard is still feeling the effects of a concussion so don't expect his PIMS for a long time.
    -Prospal still practicing in the non-contact jersey.
    -Christensen will be out for 4-6 weeks with a second degree MCL sprain

Defense
    -Tortorella admits Michal Rozsival's game has slipped recently but he's not ready to make veteran a healthy scratch just yet.
    -During practice DZ was the odd man out for the D-men. I think they have to get him back in the lineup because hes one of the best offensive D men on the team...but with Gilroy playing well...whats the rush?
    -Torts says he will dress same six D-Men tonight so Michael Del Zotto will sit out fourth straight.

Goalies
    -Lundqvist will be starting for your Rangers
    -Desjardins will be starting for the Bolts tonight (for his second in a row)
    -Biron is likely to start on Sunday...a good start for those who need a win to end the week.

Notes:
    -Gaborik hasnt missed a game in 2011
    -Cool sidenote: Every Ranger is wearing extra padding in his gloves since Ryan Callahan broke his left hand on Dec. 15.
    -Fasth looked pretty good for the Swedes yesterday. Hes playing a pretty good role on that team which is great news for the Rangers.
    -Only 2 Rangers have scored for the Rangers in the shootout this season. One is Christensen
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry for the lack of updates...cables out and I can't find any streams online for the Blueshirts :|

Injury Updates:
    Indication is that Frolov is going to be out for a while with knee. Another recall will be necessary.
    Ryan McDonagh was limping after blocking shot. Torts: "We're a tired team and a little banged up." Mcdonaugh only played 12 minutes so I don't expect to see him back in the lineup in the near future.
    Vinny Prospal and Ryan Callahan are expected to skate today.
    I still think we'll be lucky to see Vinny before March as a setback at that age is a killer.
    Spector ran into Derek Boogaard. Asked how he's feeling. His response, as always, "Ask the coach and GM." He did smile with that.

Notes:
    This has been the first time in recent history that the Rangers could toss in either goalie and actually get wins out of either.
    Averys goal was his first since October 27th
    MZA is here to stay. As horrible as this may sound the timing is good on the Frolov injury as it'll open up a spot for when Ryan Callahan returns.
    John Giannone's first half MVPs: 1-Brian Boyle. 2-Brandon Dubinsky. 3-Marc Staal. 4-Ryan Callahan. 5-Brandon Prust/Henrik Lundqvist.
    Christensen/Boogaard or Frolov will have to go on LTIR to create roster space.
    No NY Ranger has more than 2 gwg's.
    Marian Gaborik: "These last couple of games against good teams can really help us at the end."
    With that quote, I think the players in the locker room are really appreciating how every point they can grab matters...lots of learning from last years heart-breaking end of the season.
    Marian Gaborik has 13 LESS points than Brandon Dubinsky.
    Marian Gaborik also has only 2 more points than Ilya Kovalchuk...but that minus 30 is just ugly.
    Matt Gilroy is a +10 and Mike Sauer is a +11 to lead the team. I found at the start of the year these guys didn't know where they were supposed to be on the ice (Gilroy was playing left D for the first time in his career so he was often out of place), but they have sorted it out. Also, Gilroy is becoming MUCH MORE responsible with his pinching.
    Brian Boyle has more points than Alex Frolov.
    Rangers goal differential is at a solid 0.40...showing the difference between winning and losing those close games.
    Only 5 teams have held the lead after 2nd all season, the Rangers are one.
    The team sits 28th in Faceoff %...I guess Messier isn't doing the trick. Chris Drury is the only active Ranger above 50%...aside from MZAs 1 for 1.
    Sean Avery has a 2.6 shooting % and has also fanned on approx 33% of his shots.
    Dan Girardi is still leading the NHL in blocked shots with 125. Giordano is 2nd with 116.
    Callahan and Boyle sit in 8th in hits...the only player with more hits per game than Cally is Matt Martin.
    2 Rangers sit in the top 10 in Pims. Avery at 2nd, Prust at 8th. Sean Avery has 0 game misconducts this season.
    Dubinskys faceoff percentage is 18 points lower on the road.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Alex Frolov out for season with torn ACL...tough break...will be hard for him to find another NHL gig...

Dobber Sports Stud

Don't mean to jinx it but Henrik Lundqvist now has assists in 3 straight games, tying the record for most consecutive games with a point for a goalie.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Don't mean to jinx it but Henrik Lundqvist now has assists in 3 straight games, tying the record for most consecutive games with a point for a goalie.
    3 more games and he'll have a longer point streak than any Devils this season haha.

Dobber Sports Guru

I see in Fantasy tools that the PP has been all Staal's lately. He's arguably the best D available in our WW (deep league). How has he looked?
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by STONE. View Post
    I see in Fantasy tools that the PP has been all Staal's lately. He's arguably the best D available in our WW (deep league). How has he looked?
    He has been far from incredible on the offensive side lately. The powerplay tonight (like the last couple of games) hasn't been sharp and can't even set up. For now, I would wait on picking up Staal as he's not showing the experience and poise that he showed earlier in the year. It looks like it'll take a few more weeks for the PP to pick it up but god knows, you run into a weak PK team and Staal will look like gold.

Hope that helps!

Dobber Sports Stud

The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Extended All-Star Update: Player Profiles

Sorry for those relying on Ranger updates...I'm back now!

Last nights lines against the Panthers:

Avery-Anisimov-Gaborik
    Wolski-Stepan-MZA
    Prust-Boyle-Koralik
    Newbury-Drury-Grachev

Boyle took a bunch of shifts with Gaborik and Torts said 'Boyle is the team MVP' for the first half of the year. With Boyle's goal last night, he now leads the Rangers in goals with 18. He’s brought an intensity and a strong skating ability with him this year for the first time in his NHL career; finally living up to the hype after a great time with Manchester in the AHL. He gets into the dirty areas and rarely loses a battle. That’s why the goals are coming. In 6 of the last 8 games he’s played 17:49+ a night. Boyle has 4 pts in 5 games without Dubinsky.

The one guy Boyle will need to get by after the all star break is Vinny Prospal. Prospal has just been activated off the IR as Cally and Vin have been practicing hard daily. Prospal hasn’t had a contact practice with the team yet from what I’ve read, which makes me believe this is more of a technical move with the 5 players being returned to the AHL (they needed enough for their active roster). Prospal played huge time with Gaborik for most of the season but not towards the end. I don’t expect Prospal to bring the explosiveness he’s brought in past seasons due to missing so much time while getting surgery on his right knee. But, the leadership will DEFINENTLY still be there. I expect something around 14 pts in 23 games.

Brandon Prust is a Tortorella favourite and that’s because he hits whoever’s breathing. Expect the PIMs to keep coming with Boogaard out for what seems to be the season. Prust has only fought 2 times in his last 20 games (Newburys emergence 3 fights in 7 games). The Rangers will be pushing for a spot until the last game of the season and I believe he will be the go-to-fighter for the rest of the season. The Rangers are missing a bunch of forwards so I doubt Newbury will be wearing a Blueshirt in 3-4 weeks.

What more could be said about Mats Zuccarello. Hes a tiny guy but he always finds a way along the boards to create something. He is extremely smart with his stick when battling and especially when creating scoring chances. He has tremendous vision and I can’t see the Rangers sending him down despite all the top 6 talent on the shelf. He has really good speed and has worked his way into Torts favour. He has 7 pts in his last 7 and his performance alone last night brought the Rangers a point. Dubinsky/Callahan/Prospal should eat into his ice time but I could see him getting 20 pts in the 30 remaining games as long as he isn’t a flash in the pan and keeps his hard work up (you would have to being known as the Norwegian Hobbit).

Sean Avery is on pace for around the same numbers he’s been posting for years (although only 2 goals so far). If he’s on his game, he can actually play a top 6 role...the unfortunate thing is he is rarely that effective. He seems to only be producing points when on the big stage. 7 of his 20 pts came against the Leafs or Caps. I don’t see him sticking to the top line for long as there are far more consistent options out there for the Rangers. He has played huge time in his last 5 games but has only produced in the 1 game (where Gustavsson was VERY weak). I can see some scratches along the rest of the way.

Artem Anisimov has played a very solid game all season long having his ups and downs (like many young players). Like Avery, if you count out the Gustavsson blunders, he has 1 assist in his last 13 games. That could also see him some scratches along the way as his part on the penalty kill hasn’t been an integral part of the team’s success. Once he can find consistency and bulk up (being a twig), I expect him to be a 55-60 pt player year after year.

It is not being said, but like many Ranger fans, we must believe Marian Gaborik is playing hurt. He isn’t producing on a night to night basis but lately it seems as though hes picked up his play (obvious from the Leafs game). He is controlling plays but still doesn’t have that Marian Gaborik ‘ummphhh’. It’s also difficult for Gabby as it seems like hes playing on a new line every game. I wouldn’t be sold on the 4 goal night but I could see him being point per game along the stretch as he will be heavily relied on for the remainder of the season. My guess is 27 pts in his last 28...missing a few with injury.

I’ll lump together Dubinsky/Callahan because basically they are the same player. Dubinsky has just been finding the net more often but both have had huge chances. Their part on the penalty kill as well as 5 on 5 late in games has been incredible...there ice time is WELL deserved. These 2 players along with Prust and Boyle are the reason why the Rangers are undefeated while leading after 2 and have the best record in the NHL while trailing after two. I’d say Dubinsky will be around 15 pts in 22 games and Callahan will be at 18 pts in the last 30.

I’m trying my best to hate Wojtek Wolski but with 7 pts in 9 games playing a mostly secondary role, it’s difficult to. All the scouting reports and reading I did after the trade indicated Wolski will be a great player for a few weeks working his tail off but then will go back to his own pace and lose the push that Ranger fans have been seeing. He is playing very well getting a bulk of scoring chances from down low but that could be attributed to Zuccarellos tremendous touch or Gaborik’s psychological hold on team defences. His play hasn’t faded at all and if one coach can keep it going its John Tortorella. Playing on a line with Zucc’s and Stepan, I can see him splitting time on the top line with Gaborik if all doesn’t go to plan and finishing out with a solid 20 pts in 30 games.

Derek Stepan has been the prototypical two-way forward so far this season. He has played really well laying the body at times and often breaking up defensive plays with a smart hockey sense. He has a bright future ahead of him and will be an integral part of the Rangers future. He needs to work on faceoffs and find a way to produce at clutch times to become a top line forward (like many players). If you blip out his 11 game pointless streak in late October-Early November, he has 30 pts in 41 games which prorates to a 60 pt season. As long as Dubinsky/Callahan/Prospal/Fedotenko don’t eat up too much of his ice time, I can see a modest 16 pts in the last 30 games.

I’d hate to say I told you so, but I told you so. Early in the season I said I expect both Girardi/Staal will outpoint Del Zotto, and even said they should send him down. Well that has happened and the powerplay is suffering. The Rangers are moving around the powerplay alignment nightly and can’t seem to snap their funk. With Dubinsky/Callahan/Prospal coming back to the powerplay, it should make for 2 deadly duos and create some extra wins for the squad.

In the last 5 games Ryan McDonagh has averaged around 19 minutes of ice time a game. He isn’t playing much of a fantasy role but I just have to say I am very impressed in how he is getting more and more confident each game in handling the puck and making a play. You can visibly see a large difference in his confidence from his 1st few games up to now. Thanks Scott Gomez.

Marc Staal keeps jumping into plays and will soon be a 40+ pt defenseman. I can guarantee this. He is playing such a smart game...I always thought ‘this guy is only receiving the press because of his last name.’ But damn, he’s an all star this season and it’s well deserved. Great season so far for Marc!

Henrik Lundqivst – I can’t say I would take any goalie in the NHL over this guy (maybe Thomas when not considering age). He finds a way to keep the Rangers in every game and is often the difference between 0 or 2 pts. I read an interesting piece a month ago from Dobber’s own Justin Goldman where he mentioned Lundqivst in regards to penalty kill. ‘‘Henrik Lundqvist, who is truly elite and having a great season, is one of the weakest killers with a .853 save percentage. I can’t say for sure, but this might reveal his reformed leg pad sizing has had more of a negative effect than I ever expected.’’I found this very strange but I guess hes bound to not be much of a penalty killer when half of the shots taken are blocked or deflected (like the 2 last night off Anisimov...). I guess thats one disadvantage to blocking so many shots. Earlier this month, Lundqvist went on a 7 game streak of allowing 2 or less goals in a game. He could/should be the difference maker in most fantasy H2Hs and I foolishly dealt him away early in the season thinking the Rangers would have a poor season (great fan, huh :|). Use the numbers at the bottom to determine your thoughts on him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Extended All-Star Update: By the Numbers and Looking Forward

By the Numbers
    • Girardi and Staal still lead the team by miles in TOI both amassing 24+ minutes on average.
    • Dubinsky has 18 pts in his last 21 games. He also has 16 pts in 13 games against divisional opponents. He sits only behind Stamkos in PPG in a divisional matchup. Gaborik is 2nd on the team with 9.
    • Chris Drury is the only Rangers regular centerman with a faceoff % over 50% (at 56.5%). Regardless, Boyle is still used in almost all faceoffs in the last minute. Derek Stepan is at 37.5%. Haven’t seen many reports lately of Messier practicing faceoffs with the team, those #s are probably why. Dubinsky is 76-44 on faceoffs while on the powerplay...great way to start a PP.
    • Brian Boyle has 17 pts in 25 games at home.
    • Mats Zuccarello has 9 pts in 8 games at home.
    • Avery has 6 misconducts this season. He leads the NHL in those and sits in 2nd in PIMs. How many times has he won you that category?
    • Marc Staal is +13 on the road, -1 at home. While Steve Eminger is a team worst -8.
    • Brian Boyle leads the team with 154 hits (7th in NHL). Callahan is 2nd at 128 in 20 less games. Zuccarello has 23 hits in 17 games?!?!
    • Dan Girardi leads the team with 143 blocked shots (#1 in NHL). He also leads the team with 31 giveaways.
    • Anisimov is playing some smart hockey with a +28 in Takeaways-Giveaways
    • Chris Drury has as many goals as Wayne Gretzky this season. Too bad Chris is the only one getting money this season
    • As the world knows, Zuccarello is 4 for 4 in shootouts. Christensen is 3 for 3. Watch out Flyers!
    • Prust leads the team with 5 shorthanded points (3+2) and he sits tied in 1st in shorthanded points. Lots of squeekers have gone in for him while shorthanded...but that’s usually how it goes while down a man. Staal has the most shorthanded points for a defenseman with 4 (2+2).
    • Dubinsky/Gaborik/Boyle share the team lead with 4 powerplay goals this season.
    • Gaborik is on pace for 21 powerplay points this season. (for 82 games) Last year he had 26, Del Zotto had 22 and Prospal had 19.
    • Gaborik has 10 goals in 3 games. He has 6 in the other 35.

Team Overview
    • In the last 19 games, Rangers average 33 shots on goal. They average 30 shots against. They only have scored 2.32 GPG and given up 2.16 GAPG in this period. The powerplay has operated at a dismal 13.3%
    • In the prior 19, they averaged 26 shots a game. While shots against were 28.They scored 3.04 a game and allowed 2.29. The powerplay operated at 17.3%

Looking Forward
    - 16 of the remaining 30 games are against playoff teams.
    - 11 of the remaining 30 games are against division rivals
    - In the 30 games, GF for the opponents is 2.74 and GA is 2.72
    - 12 of the 30 games are against top 10 teams in terms of offense
    - 13 of the 30 games are against top 10 teams in terms of defence
    - 7 of the 30 games are against division leaders. That’s not including Pens 3x with 66 pts so far.

What this tells me is Henrik will be playing quite a few one goal games. He is obviously a top tier goalie so this should help the King out. Also, these numbers are brought down quite a bit by the Devils (x3). They should not be taken lightly going 6-0-1 in their last 7.

My projected Rangers lineup for the remainder of the season:
    Wolski-Prospal/Christensen-Gaborik
    Dubinsky-Anisimov/Stepan-Callahan
    Christensen/Drury-Stepan/Anisimov-Zuccarello
    Prust-Boyle-Fedotenko

God knows about the Powerplay...watch that tightly cause someone could emerge.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Extended All-Star Update: Injury Report

-Callahan and Prospal have been taken off the IR.
    NY Times
    According to Tortorella, Dan Girardi (sore rib muscle) and Ryan Callahan (broken hand) are the first injured players expected back when the Rangers resume play Feb. 1 at the Garden against Pittsburgh. Tortorella also said he thought Brandon Dubinsky (stress fracture in leg) could return to play soon after the break.

As I wrote earlier about Prospal...
    Rotowire
    Jan 26
    It doesn't look like Vaclav Prospal is ready to return from a knee injury.
    He was activated off injured reserve on Tuesday, but the Rangers sent five players down to the minors that night as well and they needed to add two to have 20 on their active roster. We'll keep you posted, but we wouldn't jump to take Prospal off waivers just yet.
    Jan 23
    There's still no timetable for Vaclav Prospal's return to the lineup from a knee injury.
    However, he took part in Saturday's morning skate and said his surgically-repaired knee is getting stronger. Prospal has been taking lubricant shots for his ailment. "He had another shot the other day so there's some swelling but the soreness is gone," coach John Tortorella said. "After the All-Star break, we'll see how it reacts and go from there."

As reported Dubinsky is out 3-4 weeks as of Jan 19. Judging by all of Tortorellas comments, he'll be back closer to the 9th of Februrary rather than the 16th.

No updates on Fedotenko but expected back in 2-4 weeks as of the 20th. Meaning from the 3rd to the 20th of Feb.

It was reported yesterday that Christensen will begin skating this week (alone).

Girardi expected back for the 1st.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Some Pre-All Star Highlights

Just thought I'd share with anyone interested some plays that stood out this season for the NY Rangers. Feel free to leave feedback or add your own!

The eventual game winner where Zuccarello freezes Pavelec in the shootout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AIL19sQA_c

Another Zuccarello moment where he keeps the Rangers alive in the shootout:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYlo6...eature=related

Stepan does what Ranger fans hope will be just the beginning - Hat trick in his first NHL game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9puE_lDDE

Boogaard does the unthinkable...:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Qu4HSiofs

Gaborik's 4 goals, Thanks Gustavsson:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvsHxPwQrl0

Dubinskys patience prevails and Staals smarts kick in:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh2-NcgqubI

Chris Drury goal highlights:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

Where'd your head go Dion?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVcTvRfp4PQ

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Do you have any good ideas about when Prospal is returning? I activated him yesterday but I have an empty roster spot anywhere, mostly out of curiosity.

Dobber Sports Veteran

I scooped this off rotowire yesterday...
    He was activated off injured reserve on Tuesday, but the Rangers sent five players down to the minors that night as well and they needed to add two to have 20 on their active roster. We'll keep you posted, but we wouldn't jump to take Prospal off waivers just yet.

I can't see him returning before mid February as his knee is still swelling and being of that age you want to make sure you're as close to 100% as possible to prevent a re-injury.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by littleranger View Post
    I scooped this off rotowire yesterday...

I can't see him returning before mid February as his knee is still swelling and being of that age you want to make sure you're as close to 100% as possible to prevent a re-injury.
    Thanks, that's what I heard too. Thought maybe you might know something different