Page 10 of 99 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mikerocksthered View Post
    As seen on twitter:

Tweeted by me, so it holds absolutely no credibility, but is damn funny!
    Haha I think thats what they did after the 7-0 win And they thought from there every game would be that easy!

Feels good for once to have the Caps #...can't forget that huge comeback a few years ago with Fedorov putting the series away.
    Follow me for some fantasy hockey, Jays tweets @thelandshock

Dobber Sports Veteran

With the 1pm start there wont be a preview...just a few notes:

-Staal is still day-to-day and will not play
    -Fedotenko was reinjured last game and although theyre keeping it hush-hush, I expect him to be out a few weeks
    -The main story is off the ice...Brad Richards...will he be a Ranger come deadline?
    -Mccabe will make his Ranger debut running the PP. As a fan, I'm very excited as I watched tonnes of Leafs years back and the guys presence was huge. Hoping he can teach the young guys some moves.
    -Lundqvist will make the start
    -Gaborik is still concussed and will lay off skating for a while. As with Boogaard
    -Hoping Prospals line delivers again!
    -Ex-Islander Roloson gets the nod against the Blueshirts.

**Not many post game updates lately as I figured the team could be MUCH different following tomorrow...I'll get back in the habit of doing pre-game/post-games once the lineup is set in stone after the deadline. GO RANGERS!

Dobber Sports Veteran

POST GAME REPORT: Tampa 2 @ NYR 1

Ranger Notes

- Dubinsky is again in his inconsistent pattern. The guy can’t perform for 82 games straight...I don’t get it. He always plays with an edge, always shoots, always finds the open space...but when he gets in his funk it looks like he just looks for a Tucker-esque goal. He’s really holding back the Anisimov/Callahan line today. Ryan Callahan is the new Chris Drury.
    - Mccabe had a fairly productive first game for the Rangers. Crunched Steve Downie and looked pretty good with Eminger. Eminger even delivered a few hits...looks like this could be a top 4 pair for the Rangers for the rest of the year. It’ll take time for the Rangers to get that PP going with Mccabe...seems like they were trying too hard to get the puck to him. How many fan pts should Mccabe get for keeping the puck in at the line?
    - Mcdonagh again looked great. He’ll be part of the defensive scheme for the Rangers for years to come it seems.
    - I have no idea why Erik Christensen is playing with Boyle and Prospal. He simply is not that great. He has moments of brilliance...but that’s all they are, moments. 4pts in 9 games...all 4 coming in the same game.
    - Prospal has looked like he’s lost a few steps since his first few games where the adrenaline was pumping through his body. He never really used his speed all that well before but it obviously hurts any player.
    - Gilroy has been the center of trade talk recently. Good for him to not let that affect his play...playing much stronger than at the beginning of the season. If he ends up getting dealt, best of luck to the Irish boy!
    - Barb Underhill at today’s game. If she doesn’t work with the Rangers in the offseason than that’s insane! She has been working with the Whale once a month. She said McD and Zuccs impressed her down there with their skating earlier this year.
    - Rangers didn’t fire enough at Roloson. They had their chances just couldn’t hit the 2x4.

Tampa Bay Notes
    - Lecavalier has looked a lot more confident in his shot recently. I’ve seen 2-3 games of the Bolts over the past few weeks and he’s picking the corners beautifully. Lecav > Stammer in 2011-12?
    - Tampa PP was atrocious today. Seems like if they play an aggressive PK then they are SOL. If the players just try to get in the lanes against them then that’s when they perform well...seeing as Stammer/St.Louis/Lecav/Bergeron can pound it through just about anything.
    - Bergeron again proves why he’s horrible defensively. He doesn’t play the position well at all. He looks like a forward whenever it’s a 2 on 2 or 3 on 2.
    - Roloson still looking great. If his inconsistency doesn’t trouble a team next season than I’d bet he’s back for another.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Awful news out of todays practice: Martin Biron broke his collarbone today

We'll see you July 1st Mr. Richards.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sather also thinks Drury won't return this season. Would have liked to see him on the 4th line in grinding games.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Pre-Game Notes

March 1st: Buffalo @ NYR

I figure I can just give the pregame using NYR.com.

Pre-Game Notes

By Jim Cerny, newyorkrangers.com

Share With the NHL trade deadline now in their rear-view mirror, the Rangers hit the first of March with six weeks remaining to decide their playoff fate for 2010-11. The stretch drive begins in earnest tonight when the Rangers host the Buffalo Sabres in an important Eastern Conference clash at Madison Square Garden.

The Rangers enter play sitting in seventh place in the East with 70 points, three fewer than sixth-place Montreal and three more than eighth-place Carolina. The Sabres are on the outside looking in at a playoff spot with 65 points. However, they do hold three games in hand on the Rangers, making tonight’s game an extremely important one.

“Obviously we don’t want to just be in seventh (place),” said Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi. “We want to keep winning games and making our way up the standings. We are not thinking about who we would be playing, we are just going to try to get wins and move up in the standings.”

Rangers defenseman Dan Girardi said the team will fight hard down the stretch to get the best possible seed for when the postseason begins next month.
    Coming off a 2-1 home-ice loss to the Lightning on Sunday, the Rangers have won four of their last seven games overall, although they are just 1-4-1 their last six at MSG. The Rangers are now 14-14-3 on home ice, a record the Blueshirts realize needs to be better as the team heads to the finish line.

“There’s no doubt we have to play better at home,” said rookie center Derek Stepan. “But we have to make sure we do the right things, and play the right way, both at home and on the road. There are the same two points at stake every game whether home or road, so we just have to bear down every night and find a way to get them.”

Stepan is in the midst of a season worthy of Calder Trophy consideration. The Rookie-of-the-Year candidate is the fifth-leading scorer among all first-year players in the NHL with 36 points, and he is just three goals shy of reaching the 20-goal plateau as a rookie.

The 20 year-old’s play has spiked upwards of late, as Stepan has built a strong chemistry with linemates Wojtek Wolski and Mats Zuccarello. Rangers head coach John Tortorella has gone as far as to say that Stepan’s line is the team’s “most creative”.

“One thing that makes us successful is that we are all on the same page,” said Stepan, who has three goals, three assists, and six points in his last nine games. “We all see the same play. If it comes down to two different plays that can be made, we all choose the same one instinctively. And that really contributes to the chemistry.”

Stepan has also taken up residence at one of the point positions on the Rangers’ rejuvenated power play. On Sunday he was paired on the second unit with veteran newcomer Bryan McCabe, and the two displayed impressive puck movement. McCabe augmented that puck movement with a heavy slap shot that nearly tied the game in the final seconds of the contest.

Rangers forward Derek Stepan, who had a hat trick against the Sabres in his NHL debut last October, is flourishing on a line with Wojtek Wolski and Mats Zuccarello. Stepan said each has an instinctive sense of how they should all perform as a unit.
    “That’s what I like about (McCabe), you can tell right away that he wants to shoot the puck,” said Tortorella. “Hopefully that will pay some dividends on our power play and 5-on-5.”

Tortorella will be coaching the same group of players that took part in practice on Monday as the Rangers did not make any trades involving NHL-level players prior to the trade deadline. In their one deal of the day, the Rangers picked up center John Mitchell from the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for s seventh round draft pick in 2012 and assigned him to the Connecticut Whale.

That the Rangers did not make another impact trade after acquiring McCabe from Florida on Saturday does not upset the coach in the least.

“I’ve always liked this hockey club, and I’ve said that since Day One,” said Tortorella. “That certainly has not altered. And I have my lineup set for (tonight), and we’ll go at it with Buffalo.”

Whether or not All-Star defenseman Marc Staal and/or veteran winger Ruslan Fedotenko will be in the lineup this evening remains in question. Both ailing Rangers returned to practice on Monday, although Staal did not take part in the full workout while Fedotenko did.

Staal has missed the last two games with a sore knee and Fedotenko was sidelined Sunday with a sore shoulder.

Marian Gaborik will miss his fourth straight game due to a concussion.

After this evening’s contest the Rangers will close-out their three-game homestand with a tilt against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday night before heading out to Ottawa for a game against the Senators on Friday.

H2H History and Pre-Game Notes

The Rangers will continue their three-game homestand when they face-off against the Buffalo Sabres tonight at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in their second of five games in eight days. The Blueshirts currently rank third in the Atlantic Division standings, and seventh in the Eastern Conference, with a record of 33-27-4 (70 pts). The Rangers enter tonight's contest having been defeated by the Tampa Bay Lightning, 2-1, on Sunday at Madison Square Garden, and are now 2-1-0 in their last three games. The Sabres enter the contest with a 29-25-7 (65 pts) record to rank ninth in the Eastern Conference, and have registered a point in each of their last three games (2-0-1). Following tonight's contest, the Rangers will conclude their three-game homestand when they face-off against the Minnesota Wild on Thursday, Mar. 3, at Madison Square Garden (7:00 p.m.), in the first game of a back-to-back set.

Tune In Tonight!
    Tonight's game will be televised nationally on Versus. You can also catch the radio broadcast on AM 970 The Apple and on satellite radio at XM 206.

Rangers vs. Buffalo Pre-Game Notes

* The Rangers rank 24th with a 14-14-3 (31 pts) record at home; the Sabres rank 14th with a 15-10-4 (34 pts) mark on the road.

* New York is 7-5-1 vs. the Northeast Division; Buffalo is 3-8-3 vs. the Atlantic Division.

* Henrik Lundqvist is 8-6-2 with a 2.49 goals against average in 16 career regular season games vs. Buffalo; Martin Biron is 8-3-0-1 with a 2.82 goals against average and two shutouts in 13 career regular season appearances vs. Buffalo.

* Vinny Prospal has tallied a team-high, 12 goals, 17 assists and 29 points in 48 career regular season contests vs. Buffalo; Brandon Dubinsky has registered 14 points (six goals, eight assists) in 12 career regular season contests vs. Buffalo.

* New York lists two former Sabres on its roster: Biron (1995-96 to 2006-07); Chris Drury (2003-04 to 2006-07)

* Buffalo lists no former Rangers on its roster.

All Time – Rangers vs. Sabres
    Overall: 57-69-25-5
    At MSG: 33-26-15-3
    At Buffalo: 24-43-10-2

2010-11 Rangers vs. Buffalo
    Oct. 9 Rangers 6, Sabres 3 at Buffalo
    Nov. 11 Rangers 3, Sabres 2 (OT) at MSG
    March 1 Rangers vs. Sabres at MSG
    March 30 Rangers vs. Sabres at Buffalo

Upcoming Regular-Season Schedule
    March 1 Rangers vs. Buffalo, 7 p.m.
    March 3 Rangers vs. Minnesota, 7 p.m.
    March 4 Rangers at Ottawa, 7:30 p.m.
    March 6 Rangers vs. Philadelphia, 12:30 p.m.
    March 9 Rangers at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m.

Injuries

* Derek Boogaard has missed 34 games with a shoulder injury.

* Alex Frolov has missed 21 games with a knee injury.

* Chris Drury has missed 10 games with a knee injury.

* Marian Gaborik has missed three games with concussion-like symptoms.

* Marc Staal has missed two games with a strained knee.

* The Rangers have lost 245 total man-games to injuries or illness this season.
    I'll have my own post-game following the game! Lets Go Rangers!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Post-Game AND other notes

March 1: 3 Buffalo @ 2 New York

New York Notes

-Prospal was benched for most of the 3rd. He hasn't looked great at all since his first few games. I had high hopes when he came off the IR but the Rangers would be better calling someone up at this point (too bad theres noone). He made a bad play coughing up the puck causing a Buffalo goal.
    -Callahan/Anisimov was again the deadliest duo. I think Dubinskys game is improving but he didn't stand out like the other 2 did. This will be THE LINE from here on out. If they arent producing, those 2 points won't appear on the board.
    -Mccabe again looked stellar on the PP. Hes improving it dramatically but like I said last game, they're relying on him too much. When Gaborik is back it should improve the PP huge having 2 big shots on the back end. Wolski,Prospal,Zuccarello all have decent shots but not overpowering and often they get blocked.
    -Christensen now has points in 3 straight. If he can string this streak along a little longer it would be huge for the Blueshirts. Secondary scoring is great for them...but who is the primary right now?
    -Mcdonagh isn't too fantasy relevant, but man has he improved BIG-TIME this season! Led the Rangers in time on ice and again proved Sather is good at trades but awful at signings.

Buffalo Notes

-Rarely does a goalie outduel Henrik Lundqvist. But damn did Miller make some HUGE stops on Zuccarello. He won the Sabres 2 points.
    -Boyes scored a goal and had a nice debut outside of that. He was noticable on the ice and played a good chunk of time with Connolly and Ennis.
    -Pominville took a hit with the arrival of Boyes playing a good chunk with Niedermayer and Gaustad. He played the 2nd PP with Boyes and Gaustad up front.

=================================================

Practice and Injury Updates

-Gaborik practiced today (non-contact): Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan, Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello, Avery-Christensen-Prospal/Gaborik, Fedotenko-Newbury-Boyle.
    -Staal is still a little while away.
    -Maintenance day for Prusty.
    -Fedotenko also practiced today
    -Chad Johnson has been recalled and replaced Talbot
    -Jose Theodore will start tomorrow for the Wild against the Rangers.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Torts: Gaborik def out for tomorrow, F-Dot and Staal game-time decisions.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Gaborik woke up with headaches this morning but did skate. It'll probably be a while for him. Staal is optimistic for a return tonight.

Lundqvist and Theodore will man the nets this evening.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Have you heard why they haven't put Gabby on IR, LR?

Also, do you know why he was having blood tests? Do they suspect something besides concussion?

Thanks.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Veteran

The bloodwork just was to make sure there wasnt anything else. I keep reading he'll be back soon (was hopeful for tonight) so thats why I suspect hes not being tossed on the IR.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Thanks LR.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Is Henrik a lock to start both games of the current B2B or do you think Chad Johnson has a chance to start tomorrow night against Ottawa??

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think its pretty much a lock he starts both. Each point is crucial here on out. He loves playing everyday and even though its the Sens this is the closest the Rangers have been to 9th in the east.

Dobber Sports Veteran

More bad news for Del Zotto owners...
    Michael Del Zotto out with a broken finger suffered with Connecticut of AHL last night. Likely 4-6 week injury.