Page 68 of 99 FirstFirst ... 18 58 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1474

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: New York Rangers

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I suppose it could be worse

The NYR could be the Knicks or the Jets
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    I suppose it could be worse

The NYR could be the Knicks or the Jets
    Not a fan of bringing J.D. back?

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Not a fan of bringing J.D. back?
    I like JD for the job, I just felt that there wasn't enough diligence interviewing other candidates before selecting him. So in that regard its not a terrible move just lazy decision making by the NY cable magnate. It kind of strikes me as an "Ottawa" type move which is something to be avoided yes ?

Secretly or not so secretly I was kind of hoping to see Don Maloney at least get a shot at saying "no". Funny that both he and JD were on that 79 run to the finals team. With his brother doing color and TV it could have been a interesting to see those 2 try and shape the team in their style. Dave was a good captain and Don's all star game hat trick is such a wonderful memory.

But they moved on JD and it seems to have been already baked into the cake.

I suppose if the glass were half full on this one, we could say "they could have done much worse". So in that regard I'm thankful as NY has made plenty of blunders over the years.

The good news is that NY now can focus on the draft and improving the terrible situation with their AHL franchise. Watching the situation in Edmonton, NY looks like a smooth running operation.
    Chris Drury seems like the man for the job considering he is from the area.
    Over the years we could see the influence Shoeny had on the blueline when defenders stood with their backs to the post and put their sticks on the ice to block the cross ice pass. He did an adequate job and quite few kids came through the pipeline despite the state of affairs in Hartford. Apparently he was a Sather guy so sayonara Jim. Best of luck wherever you go.

Yes I am satisfied with JD in the job.
    I'm also looking forward to the next few season to see what these kids can bring to the show.
    Hopefully they can build some synergy because the talent level appears to already be there.

Lets go Rangers !
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Totally fair on all points. I initially found it odd that it was Yzerman (never was gonna happen), JD or nothing but as I'm one of those that has faith in Gorton the limited pool of candidates told me that Sather et al saw it the same way - stick to the plan, let Gorton turn the corner, and don't blow things up by bringing in a guy who'll clean house with a competing vision (or egotistical insecurity).

I've got nothing against Don Maloney but nothing during his tenure in Arizona made me think he would do a good job here. I know that was an abysmal situation for a number of reasons and I won't unfairly hang it all around his neck. That said I can't think of a single aspect of that organization during his decade at the helm (scouting, development, trading, etc) that makes me think "man the Rangers could use someone like that."

Either way, excited about both the present and the future. LGR!

Dobber Sports Stud

Totally fair on all points. I initially found it odd that it was Yzerman (never was gonna happen), JD or nothing but as I'm one of those that has faith in Gorton the limited pool of candidates told me that Sather et al saw it the same way - stick to the plan, let Gorton turn the corner, and don't blow things up by bringing in a guy who'll clean house with a competing vision (or egotistical insecurity).

I've got nothing against Don Maloney but nothing during his tenure in Arizona made me think he would do a good job here. I know that was an abysmal situation for a number of reasons and I won't unfairly hang it all around his neck. That said I can't think of a single aspect of that organization during his decade at the helm (scouting, development, trading, etc) that makes me think "man the Rangers could use someone like that."

Either way, excited about both the present and the future. LGR!
    Agree with the sentiment

I threw Don's name out there because his resume should have made him a candidate. Not that he was the "best" one. His brother having the daily contact helped sell the idea from my perspective.

Arizona was really thrown under the bus and was run by the NHL for awhile when Don was working for the club.

I never believed the Yzerman press. He belongs with the Wings.

Gorton seems to alternate between making a solid move, then a questionable one.
    McQuaid was poor asset management, but the Zuc/Hayes selloff was fine. I think he overpaid for Fox, so I reckon we are due for another good move.
    I guess as long as he doesn't make a terrible decision things are looking up for the team.

Its been an interesting time to be a Rangers fan over the past few seasons.
    Gone are the days when fans would criticize the team for signing or trading for over the hill ready to retire players. I'd often remind folks that Joe Sakic in fact signed the NY offer sheet, which was matched by the Avs.

Really looking forward to next season and hoping, indeed praying that Gorton does not make another McQuaid deal to bring in a vet. Let the kids play and if they lose some games because of it ? no worries for this fan.

LGR

Dobber Sports Stud

In case anyone was interested, here is the Press Conference introducing JD. About 22 minutes long

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmKJrncjQSA

Dobber Sports Stud

The fishwrap aka the NY post which has some reliable connections to the NYR has posted this story about possible buyouts, Chris Kreider's status, the RFA's to be signed and what to do with the remaining 10 million in cap space.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/ranger...s-this-summer/

My hunch is Kreider is resigned and the remaining cap space is used to take on an expiring contract from another team for another pick or asset

I was ambivalent about signing Panarin before it happened. Yes he's the biggest game breaker we've had since Gaborik, but at what cost in a cap-conscious world? And does this push the needle on the rebuild and get us to contention better than if we'd suffered through one more playoff-less season and stockpiled additional picks/assets?

That's all speculation at this point and an exercise for writers more talented than me to sift through the what-ifs. But I do want to say I love the potential trickle-down effect of having a bonafide Russian star here to mentor and be a sounding board for up and comers like Kravtsov. I feel like the true benefit of having Panarin in the fold will be to insulate the youngsters, show them the way to be successful night in and night out, and keep them from getting overwhelmed by the opposition's top shut down lines - ending up like Pionk or worse. Giving Kakko & Kravtsov the space to learn the pro game and develop without the additional responsibilities and challenges of being squarely in the other team's crosshairs is, in my opinion, possibly the best move long term for both their development and the franchise's success.

Dobber Sports Stud

I was ambivalent about signing Panarin before it happened. Yes he's the biggest game breaker we've had since Gaborik, but at what cost in a cap-conscious world? And does this push the needle on the rebuild and get us to contention better than if we'd suffered through one more playoff-less season and stockpiled additional picks/assets?

That's all speculation at this point and an exercise for writers more talented than me to sift through the what-ifs. But I do want to say I love the potential trickle-down effect of having a bonafide Russian star here to mentor and be a sounding board for up and comers like Kravtsov. I feel like the true benefit of having Panarin in the fold will be to insulate the youngsters, show them the way to be successful night in and night out, and keep them from getting overwhelmed by the opposition's top shut down lines - ending up like Pionk or worse. Giving Kakko & Kravtsov the space to learn the pro game and develop without the additional responsibilities and challenges of being squarely in the other team's crosshairs is, in my opinion, possibly the best move long term for both their development and the franchise's success.
    Absolutely killer take - +1, rep forthcoming.

Obviously Bread helps the overall skill/talent level, but it's those "extras" you're hitting on that to me help this deal make complete sense. NYR are breaking in Kravtsov & Shestyorkin in the next couple of years - awfully nice to have a superstar Russian to help the acclimation process.

It also helps spread the wealth down the road too.

Panarin - C1 - V.Kravtsov
    2LW - Zibanejad - Kakko

Still work to be done - but that's 2 really awesome pairs right there. Perhaps F.Chytil even lands at 2LW or sticks as a high-end 3C with a Buchnevich/type.

I really like what NYR is starting to build here...
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Stud

Chytil is not a 3rd liner. He was drafted and brought in for offense. Defense isn't really part of his makeup. Sure he can be coached to do that work, but that is what Howden & Lias Andersson are for.
    The issue is if a 19 year old can handle the responsibility of 2nd line pivot time in the NHL.
    I think I'd pencil Namestnikov in as 2C, but I suspect he is being traded before opening night. Or they move Strome. The other guy is pivot insurance in case Chytil needs more time to grow into his body and stays over at wing.

I don't think you will find many ranger fans who have Zibanejad as 2C. He is the top guy.

Coach Quinn has already suggested that KK has the "inside" edge for top line RW. Yeah Kravtsov would look great there and has really impressed so far this camp. Who knows maybe he surprises, grabs the opportunity and never looks back.

Panarin-Zibanejad-KK
    Chytil-Namestnikov-Kravtsov

Or they somehow manage to retain Kreider by moving a few other guys.
    Then one of those 4 wingers gets moved to the 3rd line.
    As already mentioned Chytil's chemistry is essentially wasted there, but maybe another fan disagrees with that sentiment.

Then again when all is said and done, maybe Buchnevich gets the contract he wants and finds his way on the 2nd line.

All in all, its a good problem to have

Dobber Sports Veteran

Rangers fans, congrats on the big signing.
    Heres a pic rangers.jpg of the projected lines but theres still work to be done as you said. Still, the team on paper looks pretty good and exciting with these young players. If the rumors are true, do you guys think that a Kreider-Turris swap is possible? You get that 2nd line center and gives more time to the young centers on the team to develop.
    Devils & Predators fan

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn_d0e View Post
    Rangers fans, congrats on the big signing.
    Heres a pic rangers.jpg of the projected lines but theres still work to be done as you said. Still, the team on paper looks pretty good and exciting with these young players. If the rumors are true, do you guys think that a Kreider-Turris swap is possible? You get that 2nd line center and gives more time to the young centers on the team to develop.
    While I don't agree with the lines they project, I see the logic in their choice.

So Turris brings a huge cap hit. Even more than Kreider this season.

So the money doesn't make sense capwise.

Something or someone else needs to move to make that work.

Also I think Turris is a little long in the tooth for what NY is rolling out. Not that its a bad trade in that NY ideally needs a pivot.

But for Kreider and overall cap hit I think there are better matches.

Now if Nashville is carrying a significant part of the freight in the deal, then that might scratch the itch. But I'd assume they won't as evidenced by the Slewban trade.

From Rick Carpiniello's article on The Athletic [Paywall], emphasis mine.

Panarin had sold himself on Wednesday in his visit to the Garden, though JD needed no selling. He not only told them about wanting to play in the big city, but also about how he wanted to help the rebuild, er, build. He spoke to Davidson and Gorton about wanting to do what Mark Messier did here.

Administrator

That projected lineup looks like a lot of fun. They need a #2 center badly. And no, I wouldn't want Turris. He's had some good years but at his cap hit I don't want the baggage.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust