Page 94 of 99 FirstFirst ... 44 84 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... LastLast
Results 1,396 to 1,410 of 1474

Thread: New York Rangers

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: New York Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    I don't get the Buchnevich trade at all.
    Some quick back of the napkin math:

For this season the roster is more or less set (barring trades or depth signings). they have $13M in cap space minus the Shesty signing. His cap hit is about to go up by $5M, so you have about $8M to sign/trade & fit in rookie contract bonuses for Krav/Kakko/Laf/Fox/Miller/Lundqvist. Buch's $5.5M or so will fit easily, right?

Next season is where it gets tricky...

Zibanejad's cap hit will nearly, if not double, from 5.35.
    Strome will be an UFA and due at least a modest raise on his $4.5
    Fox's cap hit after next season is going to increase by around $8 Mil
    Kakko / Krav are RFAs, and will likely command Chytil money, so roughly 2.5x their current cap hits.

As of writing, per Capfriendly, they'll have $34M for the following season. If they keep the band together, you'll have to subtract $10M for Zib, $6M for Strome, $9M for Fox, about $5M for Krav+Kakko, and Shesty's $6M. That's a total of $36M, or $2M more than their projected cap space. We haven't even accounted for Laf/Miller/Jones/Lundqvist/Schneider rookie bonuses in that season, which reasonably project to be around $5M, depending on who makes the roster, etc.

Buch simply never would have fit under the cap for more than a season, and would have necessitated a trade where every other GM knows the Rangers need to move him, tanking his trade value further. Drury would be the one throwing in a second round pick for people to take his cap hit, and not the other way around.

^
    All this is why I see major roster moves over the course of the next year. This coming season is the last one where they'll have maximized Zibanejad's cap value. And while the team has improved, in my opinion, I don't see them as being legit Stanley Cup threats (though I can hope!). This is why they are loathe to part with any of their ELCs for Eichel. Because even if you subscribe to the mentality that it's better to have Eichel at $10m a year at 24 years old than Zib at that cap hit at 29 years old, it doesn't change the cap outlook for next year and beyond.

The Great One

No way I want to keep Strome over Buch. But they did.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    No way I want to keep Strome over Buch. But they did.
    Stop me if you've heard this one, but the Rangers are looking for a center.

Joking aside, you could always go into the season with your center depth looking like Zib/Chytil/Goodrow/Rooney/Barron... but one injury to the top line guy and that starts to look real ugly, real fast in a playoffs or bust season. Strome gives them insurance against a Zib injury or an Eichel trade where he needs recovery time from surgery.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rangersfury View Post
    Stop me if you've heard this one, but the Rangers are looking for a center.

Joking aside, you could always go into the season with your center depth looking like Zib/Chytil/Goodrow/Rooney/Barron... but one injury to the top line guy and that starts to look real ugly, real fast in a playoffs or bust season. Strome gives them insurance against a Zib injury or an Eichel trade where he needs recovery time from surgery.
    I'm not a Rangers fan, but I've never liked Strome. He does ok with sheltered mins and good line mates. Buchnevich is a talented winger who finally broke out and not only in sheltered mins. And he signed for $5.8 x 4. That's an excellent contract. If they were in need of a center, why did they not trade Buch for one? This just seems like a pissed away asset to me. The 2nd is nice. But really doesn't do anything for quite some time. Danault or Suter would have been much better UFA targets. Keep Buch, sign one of those, and trade Strome at the deadline for probably more than a 2nd round pick.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Stud

The issue for a long time has been depth at center

While Buchnevich is a very nice winger he does not address the team need at pivot. If the team kept Pavel then another winger would have to go. Kreider is a lock which means Lafreniere, Kakko or Kravtso. I prefer those guys to Buch at his current cap hit but perhaps other disagree.

Strome is probably gone

The question is who plays #2 pivot

and more importantly does NY lock Mika up or not
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Stud

Another player the NYR moved on from was Neal Pionk who just signed with the Jets for 5.875 million

No way they could have paid him with the current state of the roster

The issue is not if NY should have kept Buchnevich

Its who they jettison in order to keep him
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Genius

Hearing Fox getting an extension. 7 years $9.5 AAV. Getting paid.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Feenom View Post
    Hearing Fox getting an extension. 7 years $9.5 AAV. Getting paid.
    He does everything on the ice. If production stays like this at both ends, he’s worth it easily.

Dobber Sports Superstar

contention window begins, all stars under long term deals. Only a half mil more per year than Jeff Skinner, sounds like a bargain. Also at this point i'm begging they deal Kravtsov and a young defender to get a center who can win draws.

https://dobberhockey.com/2021/11/11/...s-november-11/

There has been a lot made of the Rangers' early struggles. Despite the record, it's clear to anyone watching their games that the team is riding a hot start from Igor Shesterkin, who is sporting a .931 save percentage. The team in front of him is 27th in shot attempts allowed and 25th in expected goals allowed at 5-on-5, and bottom-5 by shot attempts allowed on the penalty kill.

A lot has been made about what's going wrong but I present one explanation for part of the problems: the loss of Pavel Buchnevich. To illustrate, here are Buchnevich's and Mike Zibanejad's numbers over the last two seasons when skating together, and when skating apart, from Natural Stat Trick:

buch-1024x230.png

While we could say this is a small sample for Zibanejad, the fact is that this has been a problem for a while. From HockeyViz, here are his offensive and defensive impacts over his career. Look at the last four years, including this one. Not a single season with a positive impact offensively:

zibaiso-1024x291.png

Without inundating with more graphs, the picture is the same over at Evolving Hockey: a player who cannot drive the play offensively, and hasn't been able to for years. From Corey Sznajder's zone entry numbers, it was Buch who drove the top line for transition play, and not Zibanejad, in the shortened 2021 season.

There is not much doubt in my mind that Zibanejad is an elite scorer and is a good distributor once he gets in the zone. The problem is creating turnovers to get the play moving the other way, or gaining the zone with control to set up better shot options. It seems like the player who stirred the drink on the top line was expendable while the finisher was not. And we are seeing the results of that in that line's play so far this season.

The obvious problem is the young wingers haven't progressed as anticipated. Kaapo Kakko doesn't seem to have rebounded from his early injury, I couldn't even tell you what line Lafrenière has been playing on because he's been that invisible, and only slightly more visible than Vitali Kravtsov, who is now in Russia. Those guys were all supposed to be, at bare minimum, top-9 players by now, and Kakko/Laffy should be pushing top-line status. The truth is they look ready for another stint in Hartford, and after losing Buch, there just isn't enough winger depth left to support three centres. Losing Buch wasn't supposed to hurt this much, but it has.

It really is up to the kids in New York now. Adam Fox is still a stud, but Laffy, Kakko, Miller, et al. need to start showing as high-end players, or the Rangers are in serious, serious trouble, Shesterkin or not. They say they're in no rush to trade Kravtsov; we'll see what a five-game losing streak in the next month or so does to that attitude.
    JFC... First we let Fast walk, as the obvious play driver on the Bread/Strome line, now this. If Rangers brass isn't running this sort of analysis then they are straight up negligent in their management of the roster. The Buch trade made sense from a financial perspective, but if Drury/Gorton et al. were aware of this how on earth could they attempt to build the roster the way they are?
    Last edited by rangersfury; November 11, 2021 at 1:18 PM. Reason: Personal comments

Dobber Sports Deity

https://dobberhockey.com/2021/11/11/...s-november-11/

JFC... First we let Fast walk, as the obvious play driver on the Bread/Strome line, now this. If Rangers brass isn't running this sort of analysis then they are straight up negligent in their management of the roster. The Buch trade made sense from a financial perspective, but if Drury/Gorton et al. were aware of this how on earth could they attempt to build the roster the way they are?
    Or maybe the Rangers should allow these kids to develop properly instead of assuming they are NHL ready too early into their careers?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Or maybe the Rangers should allow these kids to develop properly instead of assuming they are NHL ready too early into their careers?
    Get out of here with your sense and logic.

Dobber Sports Master

Get out of here with your sense and logic.
    This made me laugh good. Lol.

On some nights they look sealed tight. On others they’re like Swiss cheese. I still like what I see under Gallant better than what I saw under Quinn. It’ll come around.

Laf was rushed but they had no choice there. The league needs exceptional basis AHL eligibility… understand we don’t want to kill junior teams but sending men back to play teenagers makes no sense.

Chytill is great but poor guy has horrible injury luck.

I think it’ll trend towards the better.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    This made me laugh good. Lol.

On some nights they look sealed tight. On others they’re like Swiss cheese. I still like what I see under Gallant better than what I saw under Quinn. It’ll come around.

Laf was rushed but they had no choice there. The league needs exceptional basis AHL eligibility… understand we don’t want to kill junior teams but sending men back to play teenagers makes no sense.

Chytill is great but poor guy has horrible injury luck.

I think it’ll trend towards the better.
    I've thought this was a good idea for a long time but also worry that nhl team lawyers would find a way to exploit

Dobber Sports Titan

There's a bunch of top 3/top 5 players who are too good for CHL but not good enough for the NHL that need AHL work. I praise NA players who go to Europe at 17yrs old because it opens up so many opportunities once drafted.

1. You get paid at 17yrs old.
    2. You get to live in Europe for a yr, when you likely won't get that chance till retired
    3. Once drafted, you get the ability to go to the AHL.
    4. Get paid in the AHL.

Once Matthews did it, I couldn't believe it wasn't more popular for those top end players. Having a sub-par Europe yr for Laf wouldn't have lowered him out of the 1st round. And it's not like it's the NFL/MLB where the higher you're drafted, the more money you sign for, so the difference between 1st overall and 10th overall is pride.

Same goes with College. If you play at college, you get the ability to get an education (which some might not care for), but also have the ability to make money sooner, and play in the AHL/NHL sooner. I suspect the reason why players don't explore other routes is because it's not the norm. At 16/17 when you make that decision, it could be too much change for yourself. But if you do get to go to Europe for pay, you could literally pay for a parent to come over, and if you're going top 5 your parents have likely already bent over backwards for you to get to the NHL, so would this be much different for 1yr?

I personally would head to Europe if I could, and with the internet, and the spread of news, I don't think it would be too difficult to get a deal with some team in some league out in Europe.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll