Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Stud

BIG NEWS
    Mike The stash Brown out
    Caputi in

after getting hit in the groin who could blame the guy

"Right now, I'm not expecting him to play," Wilson said.
    Ron Wilson said Luca Caputi will very likely take his spot tonight against the Sabres.
    With Brown out, the Leafs lineup looks like so:

MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
    Kadri - Bozak - Kessel
    Sjostrom - Brent - Versteeg
    Caputi - Mitchell - Orr
    Kaberle - Schenn
    Beauchemin - Komisarek
    Gunnarsson - Aulie
    Gustavsson

Sabres lineup
    Ennis - Roy - Vanek
    Stuart - Hecht - Pominville
    Gerbe - Adam - Kaleta
    McCormick - Gaustad - Grier
    Sekera - Myers
    Leipold - Montador
    Weber - Morrisonn
    Miller

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1815089/
    Last edited by Wfactor; November 26, 2010 at 3:57 PM.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Tonights matchup TOR @ BUF

As a Leafs fan I hate playing against BUF we can never seem to beat them and have lost the only match so far this year.
    One thing I've noticed with the leafs, (started noticing it last year) is that the Leafs always seem to have severe problems against defensive systems/elite goalies with a defensive system/defensive juggernauts.

When you look at the Leafs record against teams like Vancouver, Boston and Buffalo, the Leafs can't seem to win. They always seem close, but never win. To use recent examples, MTL, BOS, VAN, FLA (the game Vokoun played), TB (they played trap as soon as they had a 2 goal lead).

When the Leafs, however, play a team that is more offensively minded (or run and gun system), they always seem to take advantage of it, and always shop up, even if those teams are elite. WSH, PIT are the two examples that spring to mind. And then against similar teams like OTT, ATL, NYI, it's just the usual whoever shows up (which the Leafs do on a very solid basis).

The Leafs can win a game where they get 20+ chances as, like a friend of mine would put it, "Earth is a 1/(insert a lot of 9's here) chance of happening. The universe is so f***ing huge that there's bound to have at least another one somewhere". In hockey terms, the Leafs re bound to score if they get a lot of chances. The games they have problems with are those where you need a perfect shot or a rare bounce. No Leaf can make that shot (or clsoe to it) on a consistent basis (Kessel's toe-n-drag against a defenceman who is commited to him is NOT a consistent basis).

The Leafs seem to employ a system that relies on a heavy forecheck and puck possession. It (ab)uses speed along with a quick transition from blue-line to blue-line (AKA Kaberle passing from the dots to middle ice). Once in the zone, it's a breakout scenario followed by a peripheral cycle awaiting for someone to crash the net. Usually they get a shot or two and then they lose possession and then you go over it again. You need that big guy in front of the net for the cycle game, and you need that scorer/playmaker who can get a goal oppurtunity 9/10 times on those breakouts. Too often I see a Leaf player entering the zone with the puck, try and do a move to get pasta defenceman and then lose the puck. For those who watched the BUF-TOR game, the PP where Kaleta scored on the PK was the perfect example. Trying to be too cute while entering, thus turning the puck over.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    One thing I've noticed with the leafs, (started noticing it last year) is that the Leafs always seem to have severe problems against defensive systems/elite goalies with a defensive system/defensive juggernauts.

When the Leafs, however, play a team that is more offensively minded (or run and gun system), they always seem to take advantage of it, and always shop up

Too often I see a Leaf player entering the zone with the puck, try and do a move to get pasta defenceman and then lose the puck. For those who watched the BUF-TOR game, the PP where Kaleta scored on the PK was the perfect example. Trying to be too cute while entering, thus turning the puck over.
    couldnt agree more with all of that post, just those are the key things i found
    about the leafs PP
    1) whenever the leafs went on a pp i wanted it over almost before it began
    2) kaberle gave the puck away TONS on the pp i found it weird since he doesnt normally whats up with him i wonder
    3) dump and chase boys, dont be little cute pansy, just get the puck in first them u can be cute

and yes whenever we face a goalie that has had there number in the past they seem to fire everything but get nothing(or if lucky one) by, maybe its a mental thing
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Veteran

The Old dump and chase it worked back in 93' its looks bad!! the PP needs to improve but I really think we need to patient here guys the peices are there and Versteeg is the right fit on the point!! Phanuef back and Kaberle gone but thats the truth and get bozak OFF the top PP he just doesnt belong!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Phanuef and Versteeg on the points with Kessel and kadri on the wings and put Kully in front of the net we have NO net pressence on the PP we need a big body in front!!

Dobber Sports Stud

Phanuef and Versteeg on the points with Kessel and kadri on the wings and put Kully in front of the net we have NO net pressence on the PP we need a big body in front!!
    We would need that big body in our lineup 1st, no? Kulemin is alright, but he's only something like 6'2". I liked it when Phaneuf was planted in front of the net on the PP for a few games. Some unaware penalty killers might think he's on the point, thinking that they have to cover the point. (Pronger was doing it in OT yesturday night against CGY).

Then again, I've never played hockey, so I wouldn't know what goes in the mind of a typical NHL'er.
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well I seen that loss coming WOW is Miller ever a Leaf killer!! thats 23 wins in 31 games for him.

Gustavsson looked solid in the game despite was is being reported on the internet if he wasnt good last night the game would have been more like 6-1

Eventhough the pentalties in the 1st period was the root cause of the loss I still like what I saw out there. It was a team sticking up for a eachother. Schenn going after Kaleta after what should have been a charging call, thats the kind of thing that is going to make him capitan one day!! Also Orr going after Gaustad after that boarding on Kessel! I like it! Its shows that we are not going to let teams push us around and that kind of stuff is what brings teams together.

Still the PP is horriable!! We really need a big body in front this perimeter crap just aint going to work boys!!

Anyway taking on the Sens tonight and we often have sucsses against them but I am worried about Gustavsson as this will be his first back-to-back all year. lets hope we can find some offense tonight!!

GO LEAFS GO!!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    We would need that big body in our lineup 1st, no? Kulemin is alright, but he's only something like 6'2". I liked it when Phaneuf was planted in front of the net on the PP for a few games. Some unaware penalty killers might think he's on the point, thinking that they have to cover the point. (Pronger was doing it in OT yesturday night against CGY).

Then again, I've never played hockey, so I wouldn't know what goes in the mind of a typical NHL'er.
    You dont want Phaneuf in front of the net becuase he is the big point shot and you want him there you are not going to see Pronger with his shot in front of the net all the time!

Kully is a big guy but he is often not on the top PP unit, and the 2nd PP unit is actully the better of the 2 IMO besides the point. They need to take Bozak off the top unit that is a big problem and yes replce him with Kully. That would be a short term answer to it but the long term is they need that C!!! Bozak is just not the guy! Sorry Bozak I like you just on a 3rd line is all....

Dobber Sports Stud

You dont want Phaneuf in front of the net becuase he is the big point shot and you want him there you are not going to see Pronger with his shot in front of the net all the time!

Kully is a big guy but he is often not on the top PP unit, and the 2nd PP unit is actully the better of the 2 IMO besides the point. They need to take Bozak off the top unit that is a big problem and yes replce him with Kully. That would be a short term answer to it but the long term is they need that C!!! Bozak is just not the guy! Sorry Bozak I like you just on a 3rd line is all....
    Assuming our current 2 PP units are :

(LH - % - RH)
    (LD - RD)
    Kessel - Bozak - Kadri
    Versteeg -- Kaberle

Kulemin - Grabovsky - MacArthur
    Beauchemin -- Schenn

I think that if we did have that big bodied center/winger, that Kadri would be left off PP1 and Bozak in his spot. Both have vision, and I'd just think that Kadri could replace MacArthur on the PP2 to spread it out a bit.

Once Armstromg comes back, he'll probably get a shot in front of the net. Versteeg is doing well on the point, and we know how good Kaberle is on the PP. Phaneuf I simply have not seen effective at all on the PP in Toronto.

So make it like this.

Kessel(1-timer) - Armstrong(NET) - Bozak/Kadri (passer)
    - Versteeg/Kaberle -- Kaberle/Phaneuf

then a 2nd unit of

Grabovsky (left dot) - Kulemin (icing line/NET) - Bozak/Kadri (passer)
    - Versteeg/Kaberle -- Schenn (RH shot - Beauch doesn't fit as well here).

Lebda can fill in as LD on occasion, same with Gunnarsson on RD (And Beauch, for that matter).

The main problem with Kadri on PP1 is that he can't one-time the puck if his life depended on it. So all you have is Kessel on the left dot and Phaneuf on the RD (if he's even there, which he probably should). So as a PK unit, you but 1 between Kessel and net, 1 between Kessel and the RH passer, one in the Kaberle to RD/RH lanes (should be near enough to simply step once, and have his stick intercept) and 1 in front of Phaneuf (covering the RD shot and RH passer). If that RH player can one-time the puck, it's much harder to defend this...

_______[NET}________
    -----LH----------------
    --------*-------RH----
    -----------------------
    --LD--*-------*-------
    -----------* -----RD---
    ----------------------
    ---------PPQB---------
    ================== (RED LINE)
    (Where * = PK'er
    LH - RH (Kessel[Netpresence] - One timer)
    LD - PPQB - RD (Steeg[Kessel]/Kaberle/Phaneuf where []=after we acquire a big body presence)
    Compared to this (current situation or current imagind situation with Phaneuf)...
    ____%__[NET}________
    -----------------------
    ------*----------------
    ----------------*---RH--
    LH---*------------------
    -------------*----------
    -----------------------
    ----QB---------RD----
    ================== (RED LINE)
    (where you put pressure on the left side : % is player who doesn't go to net, so you essentially contain Kessel, limit any passing between Kaberle and Phaneuf, and since Kadri (RH) can't 1-time, you just have to limit puck access in and out).

Hope that these are slightly understandable. In fact, I've been thinking a lot about positionning, tactics, etc... Not that any could work, stuff I think about in free time. Anyhow, hope you get my point...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Kadri is the best play maker now on the team and Bozak is not a top line player anyway you cut it and why would you want to leave the teams top scorer off the PP (MacAruther) It doesnt matter anyway the player we need is not on the team and that has been the issue!

Dobber Sports Stud

It doesnt matter anyway the player we need is not on the team and that has been the issue!
    True that...

5th time we're shutout and we're what, 21 games in? A damn disgrace. Horrible. Just flipping horrible.

If the Leafs were able to convert even 1/4 of their chances, they'd be scoring a ton more then they are now...
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well the Monster didnt look that bad the last two games but to me he looked a bit tired in his first back to back game last night.

The reports now are that Giggy will be back on Tuesday and that he will be starting.

That last two games were Gustavsson's chance to really put himself in line for more wins and and he did not seize that opportunity with no thanks to the team in front of him.

I still think that we are looking at a more even split the rest of the way, but with that saod if Giggy comes back and looks good and wins in his first game back you can be sure he will get the next start and if he could string things together then it would mean bad things for The Monsters play time.

Its not going to be a good year to be a Leafs goalie owner.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great article of Luke Schenn calling out his forwards after the loss on Friday. This along with his play is the reason that I think this kid is the Captain in the making! Really though all of his comments hold truth, I watched that game and so many times I found myself screaming at the TV "Get in front of the net" or "Shoot the damn puck" the perimeter play and weak play on the boards is disgusting!! A young team like this should show hunger out there!! Its bad when most games I watch this year the best shifts in the offensive zone are coming from our 4th line with guys like Brown and Orr!! Those two players along with Schenn himself have looked good this year and I think the depth is there but if we are going to win our top players have to be just that TOP PLAYERS!!!.....Anyways rant done, here is the article.

http://www.640toronto.com/Blogs/EatS...tryID=10167443

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well it looks as though Wilson has finally taken my advice he must be reading this daily...

Anyways in practice today the top line featured Kadri and Centre with Kessel and MacAruther on the wings. Bozak was on the 3rd line!! this is what should have happend 5 games ago but atleast its happening now!

I like the move for a few reasons Kadri is a playmaker by nature you can see that in his game and Mac is a hustler that cycles the puck well and will go into the corners to get the puck out and win battles! I think this is a good fit but the test will come Tuesday against TB.

Dobber Sports Guru

Good read from Friedman on the leafs and wilson

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/ellio...-of-games.html