Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Retired - Toronto Maple Leafs

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Youngblood View Post
    JD88 - Today is the one-year anniversary of the Dion Phaneuf acquisition
    Yeah I seen that! I still love the deal like I said in your post I would take that deal everyday of the week and Phanuef has been what the team needs and fits the team well. The Play is still going to come and really I think that next year is going to be his big come back year. I have been saying along that you get rid of his partner Beauchamin and I think that his game will get better. Really I think that a great fit / partner for him would be Keith Aulie a stay at home shutdown type guy.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    Yeah I seen that! I still love the deal like I said in your post I would take that deal everyday of the week and Phanuef has been what the team needs and fits the team well. The Play is still going to come and really I think that next year is going to be his big come back year. I have been saying along that you get rid of his partner Beauchamin and I think that his game will get better. Really I think that a great fit / partner for him would be Keith Aulie a stay at home shutdown type guy.
    You might be on to something.

I'm assuming that Phaneuf played primarily with Reghyr (sp?) during his efficient tenure in Calgary. And I think I don't need to prove that Reghyr is a pure defensive defenceman who is one of the best at doing so. Beauch is more of a solid, minute munching 2-way defender. A guy like Schenn or Aulie paired with Phaneuf should try to bring back his former self - his swagger should be back as a result that he won't have to worry about his partner failing to cover for him, and with that swagger also comes hsi offence generated by the opponents fear of him.

Anyhow, I think that while Beauch isn't doing a completly horrible job (most of his horrible numbers related to giveaways and +/- are derived from the lack luster group of forwards, lack of a defensive system, and the fact he plays a ton of minutes against teams top lines - they would probably be average without them), I think that he is a prime target who can and should be moved (AKA : Keep Komi can't and Kaberle shouldn't based off the fact if he goes, say good bye to any kind of offensive game as the transition game will non exist).
    UHL - Detroit Red Wings
    24 team H2H (W-:L) Dynasty - 3C/LW/RW/F, 6D, 1G.
    G/A/(+/-)/PIM/SOG/PPP/SHP/GWG/HIT/BLK/FOW
    W/GAA/SV/SV%/SHO

NHL Cap + 1M salary cap (AAV)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Nights View Post
    You might be on to something.

I'm assuming that Phaneuf played primarily with Reghyr (sp?) during his efficient tenure in Calgary. And I think I don't need to prove that Reghyr is a pure defensive defenceman who is one of the best at doing so. Beauch is more of a solid, minute munching 2-way defender. A guy like Schenn or Aulie paired with Phaneuf should try to bring back his former self - his swagger should be back as a result that he won't have to worry about his partner failing to cover for him, and with that swagger also comes hsi offence generated by the opponents fear of him.

Anyhow, I think that while Beauch isn't doing a completly horrible job (most of his horrible numbers related to giveaways and +/- are derived from the lack luster group of forwards, lack of a defensive system, and the fact he plays a ton of minutes against teams top lines - they would probably be average without them), I think that he is a prime target who can and should be moved (AKA : Keep Komi can't and Kaberle shouldn't based off the fact if he goes, say good bye to any kind of offensive game as the transition game will non exist).
    I love Kaberle but I think that we forget that he is our biggest trading piece and should / will be moved this year. We wont hurt that bad you forget that Gunersson has some offensive skill (In a softmore slump) and as well Schenn had some offensive talents in junior and has shown flashes of it this year really I have noticed his breakout passing this year has much improved along with his poise and patience with the puck with forwards baring down on him. Both are traits of Kabby and Schenn is only going to get better.

The three guys you name above should all be moved there is no need / place for these vets on a rebuilding Leafs team when we have 4 very solid young D men to start with!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Decent article on the Phaneuf trade

http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news....id=DL|TOR|home

Dobber Sports Veteran

Just read this and I am not sure why??

Look for Jean-Sebastien Giguere to play between the pipes on Tuesday.
    Giguere will try to bounce back after allowing five goals on 27 shots in his last start before the All-Star break. Giguere has a 2.82 GAA and .898 save percentage in 23 games this season.

Source: Jonas Siegel on Twitter

Dobber Sports Stud

Its good to see that our real top line(the Mac sandwich can we call it that?) haven't lost they're touch over the all star break
    if they dont score, we hardly ever do well
    Last edited by Wfactor; February 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM.
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Veteran

The "Mac-Grab-Kul" line are clicking again and starting the unoffical second half with a bang. The guy that impresses me the most is Kully man this guy looks great on the ice. He is big, he is fast and the guy has great hands he and that line are only going to get better and I think that the three of them could be solid 60-70 point players for years to come! I have said it before and I will say it again the Leafs have some promising peices and are only a large handful of players away from really being able to compete.

With about 7 minutes left in the second period I got a little of excited when I seen Kommy go off hurting. Not that I want injury for anyone but an injury would mean that we would possibly see Aulie again, and this is a kid that I think that needs to be with the big boys now and will be an 82 game NHL player next year for sure. The more I see that kid play more I think that he is going to be a very good number four D-Man and the top four going forward will look like Phaneuf-Schenn-Gunersson-Aulie and I will take that happiley.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Forgot to mention Schenn strong game and thanks to Greg Millen for going over his game tongiht he is now 2nd in hits amongst Defensemen only to Seabrook and has 7 hits just tonight! not to mention another assist and really he has looked solid all year! I still say that he has another gear offensivley that will be tapped once he gets some more PP time which should happen if Kaberle ever moves on.

Also to note they just said that Mike Brown has left with an UBI and will not be back tonight.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JD88 View Post
    The "Mac-Grab-Kul" line are clicking again and starting the unoffical second half with a bang. The guy that impresses me the most is Kully man this guy looks great on the ice. He is big, he is fast and the guy has great hands he and that line are only going to get better and I think that the three of them could be solid 60-70 point players for years to come! I have said it before and I will say it again the Leafs have some promising peices and are only a large handful of players away from really being able to compete.

With about 7 minutes left in the second period I got a little of excited when I seen Kommy go off hurting. Not that I want injury for anyone but an injury would mean that we would possibly see Aulie again, and this is a kid that I think that needs to be with the big boys now and will be an 82 game NHL player next year for sure. The more I see that kid play more I think that he is going to be a very good number four D-Man and the top four going forward will look like Phaneuf-Schenn-Gunersson-Aulie and I will take that happiley.
    agreed couldn't ask for much more in terms of top 4 D, since Phanuef, and Gunner are both I'd consider offensive minded D(Phanuef isn't showing it much but its there trust), while Aulie and Schenn are both defensive D though Schenn is showing he may have some offensive ability but his forte will always be defending his net
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The_Wfactor View Post
    agreed couldn't ask for much more in terms of top 4 D, since Phanuef, and Gunner are both I'd consider offensive minded D(Phanuef isn't showing it much but its there trust), while Aulie and Schenn are both defensive D though Schenn is showing he may have some offensive ability but his forte will always be defending his net
    Yeah like I said above I think that Schenn has another gear offensively and maybe even more so than Gunner he has shown great patients with the puck this year.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Well in typical Leafs fasion we give up the lead late and now off to OT and really is just me or is everyone sick of watching an un-inspired, sulking Phil Kessel coast around the ice with no emotion and / or effort! no doubting the guy has talent but NO HEART!!! Really he better get better this is crazy!

Dobber Sports Veteran

That rush was more like it Kessel!!!!

Dobber Sports Stud

what a save Clems made on Kessel, I gotta say I thought the game was over when Kessel made that move
    also Armstrong's shootout move, holy crap that was smooth. backhander top cheese
    Grabovski is showing what he can do when he doesn't always give the puck away(like he did last season and etc.), or if he does, he almost always finds a way to get it back to himself almost right after, i was thinking during the game if that Mac,Grab,Kule line didnt have such good chemistry, I'd try Kessel on his wing, cause even though they are both shooters(well Grabo is kinda), grabovski has really sick moves to create room from his linemates to do work, and Kessel would thrive off of that, just a thought though
    didn't like how they once again gave up a late goal, but they showed good fight, and found a way to win
    Starting Roster:
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller

Dobber Sports Veteran

Yeah it was a great game last night and there were a few Leafs that looked strong! interesting enough I heard that since the lockout year the Leafs have played over .500 hockey in the second half of the season, man if we could ever match that in the first half hell maybe we make the playoffs one year??

Phanuef look strong again last night and I am not sure if Wilson frequents the site but about half way through the game Phanuef was playing less with Beauchamin and more with Gunnersson! and I felt they looked good together! One thing that I did not know is that Beauchamin is actually 5th in the league for blocked shots? that makes me happy becuase maybe then he does have trade value again! Kommy looked rough again he is just too slow and deliberate out there, cant seem to keep up with the pace of the game. As for Schenn what can I say another very strong game last night!! he is just looking better and better on the ice.

The forward group in general looked good other than the Kessel-Bozak-Crabb line which was basically no existent on the ice other than the one great rush at the end of the game that Kessel had beyond that it looks like he is half skating around the ice sulking that he hasn't scored in eight games?? He has been horrific at times this year his lack of emotion and his un-willingness to go into the tough areas to make a play is just not acceptable for what should be our most dangerous offensive player. Where as the Mac-Grab-Kul line looked great again and continue to prove their season are not flukes! All three of these guys skate hard and look hungry for the puck on every shift! Same as the Armstrong-Versteeg-whoever(Boyce) they look solid as well out there. Really though what should be done is that Bozak should be centering those two guys. He has shown chemistry with Armstrong this year and I think that would make for a great second line right now. Kessel should be considered a third line winger until we can get first line players for him to play with.

Giguere was solid last night and likely earned himself the next start as I figure that Wilson is going to go with the hot hand hoping that the veteran goalie can at least play himself into solid trade bait and then roll with Gustavsson and Reimer the rest of the way! I know that a lot of you feel as if Giggy should stay for his mentoring abilities but he is not going to re-sign for the cheap contract that you think he will and the Leafs need to let the young guys play through it this year and get ready for next season!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Read this on rotoworld.

Tomas Kaberle is open to trade talks, but his agent Rick Curran and Toronto GM Brian Burke have been mum on the details.
    A report surfaced that Kaberle will supply a list of teams that he would be willing to accept a trade to, but Curran denied that claim by stating, "I will clear up speculation ... there is no list of teams and there won't be." Still, a final conversation between the offensive defender and Leafs management will likely occur before the trade deadline to test the waters. Kaberle is set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer and he should draw interest on Feb. 28 from the league's other general managers.
    Source: Toronto Star

Now dont ask me why there is no list?? There should be! and dont ask me why Burke wont ask him him to waive the clause?? He should! But regardless nothing is happening, I only hope that Kabby wakes up and realizes that he could go play on a better team while he still has it and can get into the playoffs! Come on Kabby DONT pull a Sundin here and please let us trade you before you sign elsewhere next year anyways!!