Thread: GMG - A Team Audit (VISH)

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Default GMG - A Team Audit (VISH)

This audit comes in by PM from forum member austeane, GM of Vancouver Island Stormhawks in a Daily H2H, ESPN full dynasty 10 team league.

Here goes :

Current Roster Size: 20
    Total Starters: 15 (8F, 4D, 1UTL, 2G)
    Total On Bench: 5 (2 IR) [max 4 Goalies]
    Skater Categories - G=3, A=2, P=1, SOG=1, Hits=1
    Goalie Categories - Games Started= 1, W=5, GA=-1, SV=0.5, SO=5

Roster

Bobby Ryan - Steven Stamkos - Paul Stastny,
    Marian Gaborik - Derrick Brassard - Brandon Dubinsky
    Devin Setoguchi - Ryan Callahan -Brian Gionta
    Justin Williams - Erik Cole
    IR - Kyle Okposo
    --
    Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson
    Alexander Edler - Victor Hedman
    Kimmo Timonen
    --
    Carey Price
    Henrik Lundqvist
    Tuuka Rask
    Brian Elliot

6 Rookie (less than 45 games played)-
    PK Subban,
    Cody Hodgson,
    Jordan Eberle,
    Magnus Paajarvi,
    Sean Couturier (2011)
    Adam Larsson (2011)

Currently ranked: 1st in Division, 2nd Overall - look to stay in the top 4 this season.

Time-line to be Top Dog? As soon as next season you will be completely in "win now" mode. Main reason : you are going to be replacing the one thing your team lacks most as soon as this season, good team depth (last three Forwards). You will gain a major boost with the likes of Okposo (off of IR), Eberle and Paajarvi. You can't afford to lose them this season as they will be surely picked up. Look to remain in the top 4 even with the rookies in the line up. Next year you will come back full force as the three you players you are replacing for (below) will easily match the production of the players you cut ties with pretty much as soon as next season - give or take - then it's only upwards from there. So if next season isn't yours, 2012-2013 definitely will be (barring injury).

Moves this season?
    Drop Cole for Okposo in January
    Drop Williams for Pajaarvi @ 45 Games
    Drop Gionta for Eberle @ 45 Games
    Drop Timonen for Subban @ 45 Games

Like mentioned above, you might lose some immediate points but worry not, you'll still be evenly matched with many teams and you'll still have a good finish to the season. The rest of your team can and will carry you through key match ups - especially your defense and goalies.

Speaking of which you have stellar Goaltending. It's amazing to see that you can bench Rask and keep him protected without even being affected by it. Just wait until he's your go to guy - Goalie Guild rated Tuuka Rask top keeper G for a reason! Mesh him with Price and Lundqvist and you got a great trifecta - I would look to move Elliot (I'll get back to that later). As for your D? Same deal, very young and lots of potential. Once you are forced to lose Timonen with Subban (easy transition) you will probably have the youngest and most potent D in the league.

So by the end of the season, this is what your team should look like -

Bobby Ryan - Steven Stamkos - Paul Stastny,
    Marian Gaborik - Derrick Brassard - Brandon Dubinsky
    Devin Setoguchi - Ryan Callahan - Kyle Okposo
    Jordan Eberle - Magnas Pajaarvi
    --
    Erik Johnson - Jack Johnson
    Alexander Edler - PK Subban
    Victor Hedman
    --
    Carey Price
    Henrik Lundqvist
    Tuuka Rask
    Brian Elliot

6 Rookie (less than 45 games played)-
    Cody Hodgson,
    Sean Couturier (2011)
    Adam Larsson (2011)
    --
    --
    --

Not too shabby if you ask me.

Looking at your league, I only have one problem with scoring: there are 17 goalies ranked higher than Sidney Crosby - that's just not right (due to the Saves category being .5 points per). This makes total sense why a maximum of 4 goalies kept rule is in place, because they are a goldmine! If you can I'd definitely fill a rookie spot or two with the likes of Lehner (OTT) and Holtby (WSH), maybe even take a look at Tokarski (TBL) and Koskinen (NYI).

That said, if you feel comfortable enough with it, the only trade I would do is to part with Brian Elliot to your last place competitor who has been struggling with Fleury and S. Mason. In return, look for a top goal scoring forward like Kessel (fits nicely with your timeline) along with a pick in the entry draft. Your safe with a three headed tender in Lundqvist, Rask and Price and the extra firepower upfront would help the rookies ease their transition and get you more points overall.

Enjoy watching your team climb to the very top of the standings - year in & out!

GMG
    Last edited by GMGates; November 15, 2010 at 8:24 PM.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i was going to suggest trading 1 of rask/price/lundqvist,as i dont think elliot will land you a kessel type, even in a league where goalies are valued a lot. but then i looked at the scoring for goalies, and having three stars is huge. you can put up monster points by playing them each night, and not worry much about goals against and gaa isnt a factor. you will simply gain points every time you start a goalie. i would also try targetting a goal scorer, and if elliot isnt enough you should try packaging him with one of your forwards for an upgrade. great audit gates!

Dobber Sports Ace

I just traded Erik Johnson for Vladimir Tarasenko and called up Subban. Thank you for the Audit! It was great!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    I just traded Erik Johnson for Vladimir Tarasenko and called up Subban. Thank you for the Audit! It was great!
    are you serious?

Dobber Sports Ace

yup. Guessing thats a bad idea... I traded before the audit was released. I also just proposed Elliot for kessel and his second pick in the upcoming rookie draft

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

yup. Guessing thats a bad idea... I traded before the audit was released.
    Well let's just say it's a backwards deal for your team.

When you are fighting for 1st place, it's never a good idea to trade a currently producing (even those not at our expectations like EJ) for a prospect that doesn't fit in your time line; which for you is next year. Wish I could have got this out to you in time.

By all means this deal wont break your team, but at the end of the day, it certainly doesn't help it either. If you get a chance, take a look at my 5th Trade Fever Article (in sig below), especially the second half where it talks about strategies and game plans. It will further explain this reply as well as my original audit in order to help you and your team move forward.

Good luck!
    GMG
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Ace

What about elliot and gionta for kessel?

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

What about elliot and gionta for kessel?
    i would do that deal. you have no need for elliot, and kessel is an upgrade over gionta since goals are worth 3 points.