Thread: A Tale of Two Fantasy Leagues - Lecavalier

I...am your father.

Default A Tale of Two Fantasy Leagues - Lecavalier

I just feel so lucky right now. I shudder at what could have happened.

Lecavalier background
    As you all know, I had him rated pretty high. Amazing, I even felt that he would be within a few points of Stamkos, or even beat him. I felt that he was a 100-point player who had been troubled by injuries these last two years but was due for a bounce back. Now it is clear to me that the injuries have done something more long term. If a player's shot velocity is off by the tiniest percentage, that's the difference between a goal and a save. Or a pass and a giveaway. Vinny is clearly a 70-point player now. Although I will still admit that he has intriguing upside. After all, he's done it before.

League 1 background
    - My keeper league, 21st year. Points only, playoffs count as a separate competition, keep everyone, Top 12 (of 20) players count. 14 teams.
    An owner has been hot for Lecavalier since the summer, but we couldn't come to a deal then. He has Skinner and I started trying to get him two weeks ago, offering Lecavalier for Skinner, a 1st, a Sup pick (we have a one-round draft in January) and Plekanec. He countered with Plekanec, two 1sts and a Sup. Anyway, for two weeks this has gone back and forth. Meanwhile, Skinner is getting two or three points each time he plays. Which is killing me. Finally, I offer Vinny for Omark, Skinner, and a high sup pick last Friday. He sits on it all weekend and of course, Omark scores five goals. I still talk with him, but can tell that it won't go anywhere. And so I start talking about Hudler, Burmistrov and Pavelski with another owner. I'm thinking that maybe I should start rebuilding in this one.

League 2 background
    - The DobberHockey Experts League. I'm in dead last. I have Kovalchuk sucking it up. Myers sucking it up - and these players aren't just 'not helping'...they're actually 'hurting' with that plus/minus. I have Rinne, Niemi, Leighton, Johnson and I just picked up Pavelec. Yes, goaltending is desperate - even though I was careful at the draft and came away from it deep in net. You can see how it went wrong.

Lecavalier Tale - League 1

So then he breaks his hand. I'm at the low point now. Pissed off at two of my leagues. The next morning though, a THIRD GM contacts me. He wasn't interested in Lecavalier before, but he is now. Because he wants players who will get few points now (so he can jockey for draft position) and LOTS of points next year. He offers me FOUR 1sts and a Sup pick for Vinny. The first GM contacts me and offers Omark, two 1sts and two Sup picks.

A light goes off. 'ding'. This guy still wants Vinny, and as long as I don't mention "Skinner", he'll probably pay. So I bounce back and forth between the two GM's - being open and honest with both of them. They work in the same office, so I'm sure they were doing some ribbing with each other and competing. All the better for me. I close the deal as follows:
    Lecavalier for Omark, Two 1sts, Three Sups and a 2nd rounder that will be first pick of that round (no question). Seven pretty good assets for a player who I wonder if he'll ever get 80 points again.

Lecavalier Tale - League 1

Notch has good goaltending. Very deep. But he also needs strength at C and LW. He has Bobrovsky and knows Leighton shouldn't be too long. He has Bryz and Halak, so he's fine. The day before the broken hand, Notch offers Tavares and Bob for Vinny and Ville Leino. This is perfect for me, as I have Leighton so it would guarantee me Philly's starter - lots of W's. I am also aware that you have PAY HUGE for goaltending in this kind of league. You can't solve the problem via the wire and the longer you wait, the further you sink in four categories.
    At the time, I figured Lecavalier 70 points, Tavares 65 but horrible plus/minus. I'm paying Leino, but I have Hall and Kunitz on my bench. Still, I figure I could upgrade other things. I counter, the next night, Lecavalier, Ribeiro, Lydman, Leino for Bob, Tavares, Plekanec and Giordano
    I like Ribs over Plekanec in points-only leagues, but in this one Plekanec is stronger in all the categories. Giordano for Lydman - a player I just plucked off the wire - was another upgrade. Notch tried to counter with other defensemen in place of Giordano. As he countered, Lecavalier broke his hand.
    I honestly had no idea. I wasn't watching hockey. And though I had the laptop with me, I was just checking the score on NHL.com. No other site. I'm sure it was posted right away on DobberHockey - but I didn't look.
    Anyway, Notch agreed to the deal at around 11pm. My original counter offer. Then 20 minutes later he cursed me for the injury. I really didn't know. But trade was processed.

It saved my skin. Imagine how my hopes would look had I not done the deal? My IR is already full with Leighton, Savard and Streit.

Two Lecavalier tales with a happy ending
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ninja

Very well done Dobber. I'm stuck with Lecavalier and his busted up hand and bruised self-confidence and limping my way to yet another crappy year in a league where I thought I would be near the top.

I clearly need to be more aggressive with trading and finding the right moment for these things as you've shown.

Dobber Sports Ace

Nicely done Dobber.

My happy Vinny story (dynasty league - keep all) happened shortly before the start of the season when the 2 time defending champ offered me Getzlaf, Vokoun, Jovo, a 1st rounder next year (prospect only) and a 2nd this year (prospect only) for my Lundy, Vinny, and Rafalski. Mind you we only count W and SHO for goalies.

I have since flipped Getzlaf (with Hemsky) for Toews and Kane in that league. Needless to say, the I have gotten a message or two about Vinny's merely average performance.

Cheers.
    Dyn H2H (14 tm) - Start 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, Bench - 8, Farm - 20 (less than 100 GP) Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, SOG, STP, H+B, TOI, W, GAA, SV%, SV, SO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Nice work Dobber. Drafting smart is part of the battle, knowing when to abandon ship is also important, but a little luck sprinkled in doesn't hurt.

Mabus
    9 Team Points Only Keeper (Protect 10). Roster of 9F, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 6 Bench
    F - Malkin, Kane, Gaborik, Kopitar, Perry, Hossa, Zetterberg, M. Koivu, Hemsky, Cammalleri, Filppula, Ennis, Fleischmann,
    D - Phaneuf, Goligoski, Byfuglien, Robidas, Shattenkirk, Hedman
    G - Miller, Halak, Pavelec