Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Get PAVELEC NOW!

Dobber Sports Sophomore

This is the exact argument I've been having with myself over the past couple days...

Drop Turco for Pav? (keeper league deets below).
    Icy Dead People

Limited keeper H2H (G A +/- PIM PPP SOG BLK W GAA SV%); 14-teams, 18-man rosters; 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 5D, 1 Util, 2G, 3BN; keep 7

C: Getzlaf, Malkin
    LW: Hall
    RW: St Louis
    D: Subban
    G: Quick, Niemi

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by oilerfan View Post
    I find it humorous when people start spitting data left and right to prove a point, but leave out variables that aren't quite quantifiable.

The high goals against have come against Mason. Sure the team has to be responsible in front of him, but when the goals keep going in easy, it is easy for a team to fall apart and more go in.
    Surprised this didnt come up earlier!

Blayze you keep screaming about their 2nd worst gaa- Pavs wasnt even playing!!! Like many have said some of that may be due to a young defense but how the $hit do you put any of that blame on Pavelec. Yes its a short window but hes showing what he can do for this team, and vice versa. Also you say that anyone who sais the team will be better is not being objective- how so? I know many savvy analysts/pundits/columnists have been quietly impressed with not only Atlantas record of late but more specifically how they look on the ice. no ones mistaking them for the wings or the caps- but they could very well be this years version of Colorado- lots of young guys stepping up, exceeding expectations and riding an unheralded hot goalie to a playoff berth.

To clarify as well- Pavelec is not some third stringer riding a prime opportunity- hes been groomed for this, has shown elite talent at an nhl level albeit in smaller stretches- and basically made Lehtonen expendable (although you can thank Lehtonens conditioning habits for a large part in that as well).

Not an owner- and likely cant get him cheap enough for my taste. Just been following the situation closely and if you are caught off guard by this its your own decision to miss the boat. I understand the contrarian stance and your more than welcome to voice that stance here any day of the week- but trying to back it up with outdated and out of context stats is just plain silly. Thats much less objective than the same "gut feeling" opinions your calling down.

My two cents...

Dobber Sports Veteran

God I wish this guy would throw up one stinker so that I could land him!! All this beating top teams thing is killing my low buy pursuit :P

Dobber Sports Stud

Is it really that complicated?

Look at Mason's numbers.

Look at Pavelec's numbers.

Look at who got got pulled 4-5 times already.

DUH.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cuddy1979 View Post
    I'm happy with some recent traded and changes to my lineup, and want to roll with what I have, but Pavelec has been on the waiver wire and I'm thinking of dropping Ellis and picking him up.

Should I wait a while longer to see how both goalies do and risk Pavelec getting scooped or should I make the move for him now?
    Essentially I just did this very thing -- dumped one of my D and picked up Pavelec. I will probably end up dropping Ellis because I don't want to roll with 4 goalies, unless Anderson goes IR again.

Either way, at this rate no way is Pavs gonna stay on the WW for very long...

Could Pavelec do what Halak did last year and blow everyone away??
    Y! 1 year, 8 team, H2H: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,SOG,HIT,BLK | W,L,SV%,SHO

C: Kopitar, Lecavalier, M. Koivu, Briere(RW), Benn(LW)
    LW: Kunitz, Moulson, Pacioretty, Michalek(LW)
    RW: Nash(LW), Carter(C), Brown(LW), Callahan
    D: Letang, Edler, Seabrook, Boyle, Carle, Enstrom
    G: Lundqvist, Ward

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by the.mangoes View Post
    Essentially I just did this very thing -- dumped one of my D and picked up Pavelec. I will probably end up dropping Ellis because I don't want to roll with 4 goalies, unless Anderson goes IR again.

Either way, at this rate no way is Pavs gonna stay on the WW for very long...

Could Pavelec do what Halak did last year and blow everyone away??
    Yes he can.

Will he? Maybe. I dont want to say yes because that would bejumping the gun- but the potential is there.

How many people assumed Halak could break out that way>

Dobber Sports Wizard

Pavs is a goalie with a lot of potential who is playing on a team that is surprising people with the way they've been playing.

Pavs fell over and cracked his head in game one. Since he's returned he's played well. Will he fall over again? Who knows? if you're scared of unpredictable injuries then don't pick him up. If you want to take a chance on a goalie who looks pretty strong this year and you need a goalie, then pick him up. Simple as that.

Actually, if you're scared of unpredictable injuries then you shouldn't play fantasy hockey at all. In a one year league you take a chance on him. All signs point to him being good and if he isn't then what did you lose? Are Halak or Price or Thomas on your waiver wire? No? Then Pavs is pretty good considering.
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by 93213 View Post
    Pavs is a goalie with a lot of potential who is playing on a team that is surprising people with the way they've been playing.

Pavs fell over and cracked his head in game one. Since he's returned he's played well. Will he fall over again? Who knows? if you're scared of unpredictable injuries then don't pick him up. If you want to take a chance on a goalie who looks pretty strong this year and you need a goalie, then pick him up. Simple as that.

Actually, if you're scared of unpredictable injuries then you shouldn't play fantasy hockey at all.
    In a one year league you take a chance on him. All signs point to him being good and if he isn't then what did you lose? Are Halak or Price or Thomas on your waiver wire? No? Then Pavs is pretty good considering.
    QFT, my friend.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Rookie

Is Pavelec's updside enough to consider picking him up and dropping Vokoun? Other goailes are Halak and Ward. Cats are W,L,Shots, Saves, SV%, SO. Ten team Yahoo H2H. FLA is so inconsistent and we can only carry three goalies. Thinking if ATL is on the rise then Pavelec could help me more in the win column and still give me good peripherals.

Dobber Sports Stud

Start a thread for Crawford too!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyHead View Post
    Is Pavelec's updside enough to consider picking him up and dropping Vokoun? Other goailes are Halak and Ward. Cats are W,L,Shots, Saves, SV%, SO. Ten team Yahoo H2H. FLA is so inconsistent and we can only carry three goalies. Thinking if ATL is on the rise then Pavelec could help me more in the win column and still give me good peripherals.
    NO, do not dump Vokoun for nothing...
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Finally gave in and picked him up in both of my leagues. I figured it was only going to be a day or two before people became aware and did not want to feel as stupid about this as I did about not getting Thomas when I had the chance. I did not drop any of my goalies and am going to carry four for now, and see how he plays, and how the Neuvirth situation plays out in the next week or so, and then end up dropping one.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He is playing realy well.
    Last edited by TheFeker; November 28, 2010 at 4:54 AM.
    Yahoo H2H Keeper 21 man keep 12
    G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP,HITs,SOG / W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Roy
    C Bozak
    C Stastny
    L Ovechkin
    L Hall
    L Vanek
    R Eberle
    R Skinner
    R Kessel
    Utill Fleischmann
    D B.Campbell
    D Kulikov
    D Garrison
    D Drew Doughty
    F C.Neil
    F Brouwer
    F Bozak
    F Pacioretty

Goal: Price, Rask, Kipper, Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Looks like I hit a nerve. Perhaps I was a little harsh, but here are the reasons for my position, which I still stand by.

1) Atlanta gives up a TON of goals - their defense is crap. As of today, they have given up the SECOND most amount of goals in the league - only Edmonton is worse. Sure Pavs is off to a good start, and he may be a good goalie, but a good goalie can only steal so many games.

2) Let's look at Pav's career numbers. Over the course of his career, he has been a .900 sv%, 3.20-3.30 GAA goalie - these are the facts. Perhaps he can be better if he were on a better team, but he's not - that is reality.

So you're telling me a goalie who's put up mediocre stats his whole career, playing on a team that has given up the 2nd most goals year to date (and will continue to do so), is a good fantasy option?

I'm not knocking Pavs - I think he is a decent goalie who is better than his stats indicate, but ATL is just terrible - that is a fact. Don't be fooled by the hot start... he will regress towards his career average eventually.
    What hockey planet are you on? You making stat staments that don't hold water in a well. Look at Pavlecs ###,s there mediocre. Have you seen his age and draft position. 23yrs and 2nd Rd 41st overall(thats like a 1st rd pick in the goalie world). Players get better as they mature into there mid 20's. Your comment makes as much sence as...well Drew Doughty has only really had one good year...so he's not that good. As far as your comment on that the teams D is crap. Enstrom, Bogosian, Oduya and Buff are crap?

Here's the bottom line. KOVELCHUCK ok KOVELCHUCK
    He plays in Atlanta there junk. Now he plays in New Jersey there junk you see the tie. Atlanta has added structure, balance and players that know how to win and compete. None of which Kovachuck has. Mason is the reason they sucked he was pulled in 3 of his last 6 starts. Pavelec is going to pull a Anderson Rask like season. You don't shutout the Cap's, Habs and hold the wing's to one goal and be a flash in the pan with crap D.
    Yahoo H2H Keeper 21 man keep 12
    G A P +/- PIM PPG PPA SHP,HITs,SOG / W GAA SV SV% SHO

C Roy
    C Bozak
    C Stastny
    L Ovechkin
    L Hall
    L Vanek
    R Eberle
    R Skinner
    R Kessel
    Utill Fleischmann
    D B.Campbell
    D Kulikov
    D Garrison
    D Drew Doughty
    F C.Neil
    F Brouwer
    F Bozak
    F Pacioretty

Goal: Price, Rask, Kipper, Neuvirth

Dobber Sports Stud

Traded him, sad to see him go . Don't light it up too much please.