Thread: Zherdev or Gomez

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Zherdev or Gomez

I have been offered Nik Zherdev for ScoTt Gomez

Who do YOU prefer (league in signature)?

Thanks. Rep to be handed out

Dobber Sports Stud

Zherdev looked pretty good in what I saw of Flyers-Caps yesterday (i.e., before Oilers-Hawks started), but even if he hadn't, I prefer a 25-year-old oozing with potential over a 30-year-old (31 next month) whose best days are behind him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Zherdev in a heartbeat. He's actually starting to get the odd point and seems to be playing out of the doghouse. Gomez is horrible. He's playing like he doesn't care and just floats. I don't see him getting over 50pts. Rid yourself of the headache that is Gomez and rejoice

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Thanks gents. Rep ur way. The only issue that concerns me is ice time for zherdev. He received close to 14 minutes which isn't bad compared to other flyers. Carter and giroux were both just over 14 minutes yesterday. However, gomez is getting 19 + min per game so he's getting lots of chances there. I think him not being on the 1st PP unit is killing him

Any other thoughts will be appreciated

Dobber Sports Stud

What's the determining factor here, Dean, this season or the future? If it's ALL about going for the win this season, then I do prefer Gomez. Anything beyond that, Zherdev.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I own them both and they are both currently on my bench until something improves.

I haven't watched a lot of Gomez this year, but his SOG pace disturbs me. He had 4 straight years of 240+ shots before dipping to 180 last year. This year he's on pace for only 123. It appears he is in a steep decline, despite top line minutes.

Zherdev's curve is becoming a bit more encouraging - he skated with Richards last game, and with JVR being a healthy scratch the last 2 games, it appears Philly is creating more room for Z in the top 6.

For this season I think you should be able to find better options on the wire than either of these guys, but long-term I'd go with Zherdev and hope he signs with a different team next year where he'll be more of a go-to guy.
    10 team roto, Keep 17 + 50 farmers (Farm GP limits 246 F, 328 D and 200 G). Dress 9F 5D 1Ut 2G (G, A, D-pts, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits, Blks, W, SV%, GAA)

F- Tavares Bergeron Simmonds Kucherov Radulov Skinner JVR Brown R. Smith Perron Kesler
    D- Doughty Josi Giordano Suter Muzzin Boroweicki
    G- Dubnyk Murray Smith
    Farm highlights: Abramov, Chlapik, Cirelli, Kunin, Mantha, McCarron, Perlini, Johnsson, Zykov, Ritchie, Honka, Kylington, Sorokin, C. Point, Dansk

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by CommittedToTheIndian View Post
    What's the determining factor here, Dean, this season or the future? If it's ALL about going for the win this season, then I do prefer Gomez. Anything beyond that, Zherdev.
    My goal is to get as many points from the player I decide on for THIS SEASON since neither would probably qualify as a keeper for me. However, if Zherdev heats up then his trade value will definitely exceeds Gomez's IMO and he could possibly replace Hudler as a keeper for me.

What do you guys see Zherdev and Gomez reaching this year (points wise)?

Quote Originally Posted by jsuites View Post
    For this season I think you should be able to find better options on the wire than either of these guys, but long-term I'd go with Zherdev and hope he signs with a different team next year where he'll be more of a go-to guy.
    Unfortunately, the best options on the waiver wire are:

Manny Maholtra - I already own four canucks and I don't see Manny being a better option than either Gomez/Zherdev
    Jeff Halpern
    Marty Reasoner
    Matt Cooke
    Pascal Dupuis
    Sergei Samsonov

IMO, Not much value or upgrades there

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Gomez all the way. Zherdev can be great one night and a healthy scratch another, but no matter what he'll play at a minimum of 4-5 less minutes per night than Gomez's 18+ minutes (+ top PP time). Sure the stats aren't that great right now but Montreal's offense as a whole hasn't come together yet and as soon as it does Gomez will leave Zherdev in the dust. Good trade.