Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Neuvirth full time starter?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Neuvirth full time starter?

What is the likelihood Neuvirth remains the primary starter after Varlamov returns to action? Lets assume Varly can stay injury free...Is Neuvirth more valuable than Price? What i am asking is in a points only league you rather have Price or Neuvirth for this year?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well I honestly don't think Varlamov is a better goalie than Neuvirth so I don't see Neuvirth getting unseated - he might play a little less is all. I am comfortable that Neuvirth is the Caps starter going forward.

Who to take Price or Neuvirth? Tough call I think but if pushed to decide I am taking Neuvrith on a better Caps team - more wins.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Currently own Brodeur...so does this change your opinion? I didn't think I would have this conundrum at the beginning of the season but I am faced with this decision now. I have an outside chance of getting T. Thomas...now he trumps both don't you think?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Neuvirth is gold. Is he more valuable than Price? Given the current situation, yes he is.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

i dunno, maybe currently neuvrith is the better goalie to own, but i'd still take price for the following reasons:

1) neuvrith has varlamov to compete with
    2) price has...no one to compete with.
    3) neuvrith will likely get more wins than price (if he is starter the whole year)...but price will likely have better gaa, sv% etc. the habs play a much better defensive game than the caps.
    4) price has bigger upside than neuvrith.

Dobber Sports Stud

That's tough.

I drafted Varlamov, and I was just able to land Neuvirth in a trade, so either way I"M set.....

now an to your 'conundrum'

that's tough. You COULD say that Thomas trumps both....but don't forget that Rask is going to push hard at some point this season. I wouldn't count him out JUST yet.

When Varlamov comes back, I think Boudreau will give him a chance to steal the job back, and I'm sure he will give a good case for it. He's not a bad goalie. So when healthy, it has the possibility to be a 70/30, 60/40 split one way or the other....only time will tell which way that split will fall.

As for Price. He's playing to his potential now and will continue to give you good stats. This trend shouldn't stop.

If you can, I would try to wait it out a while to see what happens in Was before dropping one or the other.

If I had to chose one right meow......I would say keep Price.
    Team 1:

G, A, SOG, PPP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, SV%, GAA, SO

C - Matthews, Crosby, Point, Seguin
    LW - Miller, Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Kaprizov, Schenn
    RW - Terry, Necas, Reinhart, Boeser
    D - Hedman, Pionk, Hanifin, McNabb
    G - Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Petry

Team 2:

G, A, PP, SOG, Hit, Blk, W, GAA, SV%,

C - Kopitar, Hischier, Rantane
    LW - Panarin, Guentzel, RNH
    RW - Marner, Kucherov, R. Smith
    D - Makar, Hamilton, Heisknen, Dillon
    G - Vasilevskiy, Hellebyuck, Ullmark
    IR - Wilson, Aho, Theodore

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I have Neuvirth on both my teams, so there may be a slight amount of wishful thinking here- but, I have never been a fan of Varlamov, especially given his injury issues. Neuvirth appears to be the real deal and so I think he can be the starter this year. You never know how things will play out with goalies- when Varlamov comes back, Neuvirth could have a few bad games in a row and then things could get interesting. But that said, Neuvirth has shown he can win when it matters and so I doubt he will fall apart in such a situation.

And in terms of the Thomas/Rask issue, Rask will get plenty of games this year. He is the future here in Boston and they will not do anything to screw that up. They will probably split before its all said and done. If anything Thomas may get slightly more starts but they will not risk playing with Rask's head and sitting him all season like they have so far.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

In points only league I'd take Neuvirth - plays for the caps, more wins.

But in a keeper with Sv%, GAA, etc. I'd take Price - plays in a more defensive system, has insane potential, no competition.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Blunas - since your in Beantown maybe you can talk about this with some knowledge - Rask - 3 games to advance against the Flyers - fail! Does that play into things here at all? I suspect it does.

Dobber Sports Ace

Don't forget that Boudreau loves to play the hot hand.

Varly may be his favourite (in the past) but until Neuvirth gives Boudreau a reason to sit him, he'll play.

Last year, when Varly finally got back after missing 30+ games with groin and knee injuries, he couldn't get back into the groove because Boudreau kept playing Theodore...who was in the middle of a ridiculous stretch. (can't remember, but it was 22 wins in 25 games or something like that).

I think Boudreau will be more likely to give Varly a shot this year, but it looks more and more like Neuvirth is his guy.

Dobber Sports Ace

Neuvirth got pulled tonight!
    Member of OCHA

Dobber Sports Demi-God

effin brutal.
    Both of my main goalies got pulled tonight AND then their teams won the game!!!
    mercy, mercy (shaking head)

Is Holtby basically a pipedream then? or if Varley continues to be injured and Neuvirth comes back down to earth does Washington have enough faith in Holtby to give him a real look....

Dobber Sports Apprentice

So has Boudreau finally come to his senses!!! This goalie carousel was/is a joke. Neuvirth is the better goaltender and they were winning without him...don't reinvent the wheel.