Thread: Bouwmeester vs Barker vs Timonen

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Bouwmeester vs Barker vs Timonen

I'm having trade talks to get me Kesler and I'm giving a D

Which one would you let go first ?
    15 Teams Keeper League
    25 Players Roster (12F, 6D, 2G, 5B )
    Keep 9 (5F, 2D, 1G + 1 skater) + 2 Rookies (F&D=100 GP, G=70GP)
    F&D = Points Only, G = Win 2, SO 1

F: Crosby*, Tavares*, Ovechkin*, Atkinson*, R.Strome*, Dvorak(R), Domi, Hishier, Hornqvist, Kapanen, Vesey, Caggiula.
    D: Hedman*, Ju.Schultz*, Savard, Trouba, Morrow, Walman
    G: Talbot*, Saros.
    B: Kovalchuk, Yakupov, Steel.
    * = Keepers from last year.
    (R)= Rookies from last year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Bouwmeester then Barker. With Timonen you know what you're going to get (40 points).

Dobber Sports Pro

Timonen has seen declining numbers so 40 points is not an automatic with the Flyers.

Dobber Sports Legend

1.) Timonen.

He is up there in age, and his better offensive years are well behind him. Pronger, Carle and now Meszaros are snagging prime PP time and will cut into the decent numbers Timo was putting up. J-BO and Barker still have time to develop their offensive game.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    1.) Timonen.

He is up there in age, and his better offensive years are well behind him. Pronger, Carle and now Meszaros are snagging prime PP time and will cut into the decent numbers Timo was putting up. J-BO and Barker still have time to develop their offensive game.
    Gotta disagree with you here. No one gets more average PPTOI or simply TOI on the Flyers than Timonen, not even Pronger and certainly not Meszaros!

I won't argue that Timonen's better offensive years are well behind him, but I'd drop Bouwmeester well ahead of Barker and even Barker ahead of Timonen. I noticed in moxon's signature, his league is a limited keeper (10 or 11 players kept).

Bouwmeester is a better defenseman in real life than fantasy, so he is overrated from a fantasy perspective.

Barker still has time to improve, but he's going to have to fight with Zidlicky and Burns for top unit PP time this year. I think he's got potential to break out, but maybe not this year and does he make the top 11? I don't think he'll do enough this year to justify a protected spot.

I'm confident that the points will come for Timonen this year.

JBo is the one to go.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Legend

Comish,

Well, being a Flyers fan from Philly, I have not missed a Flyers game in about 10-12 years. I can tell you first hand that Timonen has not been the same on the PP/offensively since midway through last season.

Sure, Timonen gets PPTOI but he does not look nearly as comfortable out there as he did a year or two ago. I would love nothing more than to see Kimmo bounce back and start putting up nice numbers offensively, but I am not seeing it.

Add to the fact that this is a keeper league and Timonen is 35 years old, there is no way I would keep him over players who are 24 and 27 years old. I am afraid the years of Timo putting up 40+ points are gone.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Dobber Sports Ninja

fungchen,

I saw that you were from Philly when I made my post. I do agree to some extent that Timonen has lost a little something on the offensive side of things, but he's being given every opportunity to get it going.

I checked the guy's signature and it's a limited keeper (10 or 11 keepers) and none of those three guys will likely be a keeper, so I revert to my one year mindset in that case.

Because of the keeper factor, I would keep Barker over Timonen and hope that he turns it around this year, but JBo will finish with less points that Timonen this year.

Dobber Sports Legend

Comish,

You make a good point; one that I overlooked. If he feels none of these guys are keeper-worthy beyond this season, then yes, I would also roll the dice with Timonen for this year (struggles and all). I am with you there. The Flyers will light the lamp quite a bit.

But if he is set on keeping 3 D (as per his sig), then I would go with Visnovsky and Gilbert as the top two for sure. The third would come down to Lidstrom (if he re-ups) or I would have to take a shot with the frustrating J-BO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Very interesting guys! Rep to you both!

Actually, you brought up my keepers situation and I think I'm gonna have to make a very difficult decision at the end of the season on who to keep as my 3 D ('cause yes, we are set to keep 3D as fungchen3 said)

I fully agree with Visnovsky and Gilbert as two obvious choices but the third one I'm really not sure!

Does Lidstom has enough left in the tank to be keeper worthy ?
    I think this season will tell who I might keep between J.Bo and Barker...
    Am I out of my mind if I consider Stralman as an interesting choice here ?
    15 Teams Keeper League
    25 Players Roster (12F, 6D, 2G, 5B )
    Keep 9 (5F, 2D, 1G + 1 skater) + 2 Rookies (F&D=100 GP, G=70GP)
    F&D = Points Only, G = Win 2, SO 1

F: Crosby*, Tavares*, Ovechkin*, Atkinson*, R.Strome*, Dvorak(R), Domi, Hishier, Hornqvist, Kapanen, Vesey, Caggiula.
    D: Hedman*, Ju.Schultz*, Savard, Trouba, Morrow, Walman
    G: Talbot*, Saros.
    B: Kovalchuk, Yakupov, Steel.
    * = Keepers from last year.
    (R)= Rookies from last year.

Dobber Sports Legend

moxon,

Your 3rd D keeper is debatable. The way I see it:

Lidstrom: All depends if he continues playing or not. If he does, then he is your guy. Period.

Timonen: 35 years old and seems to be slowing down offensively. 40+ seasons may be a thing of the past for this awesome defenseman.

J-BO: This dude has all the tools to put up sick offensive numbers but he always falls short. I feel he is the most frustrating D-man in fantasyland. He is so smooth and gifted, he should be a lock for 45 points. Ugh!!

Barker: Similar to J-BO in the fact that he should always produce more than he does considering his skills. He is another kid who always falls short, both in Chicago and now Minny. But he is still only 24 so he could still put it together (key word being: COULD).

Stralman: Has already been bounced around 3x times in his short career. One has the feeling if it does not pan out in CLB his next stop will be Europe. He is pretty much a one-dimensional PP guy and the Jackets have Russell and Moore waiting in the wings.

As much as it pains me to say it (because J-BO drives me crazy), if Lidstrom retires, I think you need to sit tight with Bouwmeester and HOPE he returns to being a 42-46 point player. Anything more is pure gravy at this point for him.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by moxon View Post
    I fully agree with Visnovsky and Gilbert as two obvious choices but the third one I'm really not sure!

Does Lidstom has enough left in the tank to be keeper worthy ?
    I think this season will tell who I might keep between J.Bo and Barker...
    Am I out of my mind if I consider Stralman as an interesting choice here ?
    Regardless of his age, if Lidstrom plays next year, he's an automatic protection in my opinion. Barker has way more offensive upside than JBo, but is currently stuck behind Zidlicky and Burns for top PP minutes. I'm not a big Stralman fan, I think Russell will be the guy there, but not sure when he'll pop.

If you can find someone interested in JBo and you can get a decent return, you should deal him. If he puts another under 30 point season in the books, the jig is up (fantasy speaking).
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by moxon View Post
    I'm having trade talks to get me Kesler and I'm giving a D

Which one would you let go first ?
    I just came to this thread, and I thought it would only be fairest if I provided my 2 cents before reading the rest of the thread (which I'm about to do, honest).

I forgot to note whether it was points or roto. Barker's the best roto option, no? For this year and next?

He doesn't seem as prioritized by his team as Timonen is, so I'd bet on Kimmo over a shorter time frame, despite his recent zeroes.

I own Bouwmeester. Not because of his scoring or PIMs, but because of his +/- and his forever-expected upside. I have no illusions, but I recognize his trade-worthiness.

Steffen (off to read the other responses)

--edit
    Wow. I've cut and pasted this thread into my spreadsheet.
    And I was there...
    --edited
    Last edited by Steffen; October 29, 2010 at 1:10 AM. Reason: Better posters than me, with expository skills.