Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Pengiuns D: Martin vs. Letang vs. Goligoski

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Pengiuns D: Martin vs. Letang vs. Goligoski

How does this shake out? What are we thinking for pts and powerplay time? Is Martin the undisputed #1 PP QB here with Letang and Goligoski battling for the #2 spot?

I think since you pay Martin $5/yr for 5 yrs he's your #1 PP QB. The only thing that makes me hesitate is that Martin has never reached 40 pts, although he was on a defense-minded devils team. That and he does have competition from Letang and Goligoski makes me question whether his #1 spot is a lock.

Worse case is this is defense by committee, but I want to pick Martin knowing he's #1 and going to get 50+ on the pens.

Another way to think about it is: does Martin = Gonchar? I think the answer is no.

Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Guru

yes Martin does not equal gonchar ..... you can dress up a trailerpark whore bue she is stilla trailer park whore. Martin will get PP time but not necessarily the undisputed # 1 mins that Gonchar used to get. I think Martin is a lock for the top even strength unit and will definitely see some PP time, issue with the pens on PP is that the only right handed point shot is Letang (Martin, Goli and Malkin are lefties) so is by no means a foregone conclusion that Martin gets top PP mins but he will get a couple of mins a night. I dont think you can draft him expecting 50+ pts cause that wil lead to dissappointment, I think he is a lock for 40 and could reach 50 but I wouldnt count on it.

Dobber Sports Rookie

For a one year league, I'd feel pretty safe taking Martin over Letang and Goligoski. Martin should see consistent power play time.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Personally, I think they're going to start with Martin as the #1 PP defenseman and ultimately be disappointed. Then, they will go to the well and bring back Goligoski to run it.

Just because Martin is making $5 million doesn't mean that he will be the PP QB when all is said & done. We see on a number of teams that the highest paid defenseman doesn't necessarily become the top PP guy. I think this will be the case here. I think the Pens are going to go with what they know when the smoke clears. My gut feeling is that it ends up being Goligoski and a winger at the point.

Dobber Sports Genius

For this year Martin might outpoint Letang because they will give Martin more than his share of pp time, but I highly doubt Martin outpoint's Goli. I agree with some of the above comments that Martin will be a major offensive dissapointment and end up even lower than Letang on the pp depth chart. They will give Martin this year (or most of it) to hang himself.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Goligoski is the pp guy or he doesn't have a role on the team. Martin is there for his D; never was strong on pp. Letang is the back up should neither of these guys be able to do the job.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mhess89450 View Post
    Goligoski is the pp guy or he doesn't have a role on the team. Martin is there for his D; never was strong on pp. Letang is the back up should neither of these guys be able to do the job.
    Bigtime, I agree with mhess...Martin was not brought in for the PP.

Here's the way I see it:

Goligo is all about PP, he will be their main man on D. Letang will have a lot more time on offense, as his defensive responsibilities will decrease a ton, not only with Martin in town but also Michalek. Goligo never really played defense, but Letang will be able to focus a lot more of his energy on offense now.

So the number 1 PP defense will be Goligo and Letang. Martin will get a bit of time, but just look at the stats (if I did my math right).

Goligo (82 games incl playoffs): 126 shots, 3 PPG, 20 PPA
    Martin's best season, 5 years ago! (80 games): 97 shots, 3 PPG, 17 PPA

This is a no brainer: Gogo will be the top PP Dman, like mhess said, he doesn't have another role on the team (ie. play a D game)

Letang had 174 shots last year, he's gonna be a beast but it'll take a bit of time.

I could keep going about how the Pens know they need better defensemen that actually play D and how both Martin and Michalek fill that role better than Gogo, Letang, Orpick...the point is the same.

Dobber Sports Genius

The M crew are Bang on, MGW and Mhess.
    Nothing more is needed to be said just go with what these two have said its a lock and a no brainer.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Icon

One of the biggest debates this summer in fantasy hockey has been this Letang v Goligoski v Martin question, there have been a few great threads on the topic, including these:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ad.php&t=72607

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...145#post517145

Here is a recent roundtable of bloggers discussing the issue, and as with our community there is disagreement there as well:
    http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...i_the_defense/

It will be very interesting to see how it all shakes out!! As a Letang owner, I am confident that he will be a fantasy star for years to come, but I must say I'm really not sure what will happen for this year as far as PP time allotment goes. If i had to guess, I figure it's going to be a see-saw thing all year and in the end they'll all get about the same PP time, with maybe Letang and Goligoski seeing slightly more.
    Last edited by ross10019; August 27, 2010 at 11:08 AM.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Expert

HereĀ“s my guess. Martin an Goligoski will start on the first pp unit, but it will take Letang less than two months to take that spot away from Martin. One of the problems last year, was that the pp was very predictable with 2 left shhoting defender. Only Gonchar was able to one time the puck, and he was allways covered. Goligoski played the right side, but he could only stop and pass the puck.

Therefore i think Goligoski will play on the left side with Letang on the right!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You've all figured it out.

So, let me get this right:
    PIT decided to:
    1. Sign NJ's PP QB
    2. Give him a raise from his previous salary (from $3.8m to $5m) &
    3. NOT use him on their PP.

So - pay somebody MORE to do LESS work.
    Yup, good job sleuthing.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; August 27, 2010 at 8:23 PM.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You've all figured it out.

So, let me get this right:
    PIT decided to:
    1. Sign NJ's PP QB
    2. Give him a raise from his previous salary (from $3.8m to $5m) &
    3. NOT use him on their PP.

So - pay somebody MORE to do LESS work.
    Yup, good job sleuthing.
    What an off-putting response, Pengwin7.

1) So what if he was New Jersey's PP quarterback? What are they supposed to do with there home grown & groomed guys? Just let them play 2nd & 3rd fiddle again? Maybe they brought him in to be a stabilizing presence on a very young blueline? Maybe they liked the fact that he was not a defensive liability with some offensive potential?

2) Did you expect him to take less?

3) So just because he gets payed X amount of dollars, he MUST be top dog on the PP? That makes no sense.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pengwin is a Martin owner, and I don't blame him for talking himself into thinking Martin will be the guy. Hell I do the same with Goligoski and it makes these boards fun. None of us will really know until the season is underway and even then I'm sure a lot will change throughout the year too.

My points about Goli being the man:
    1)Best single season among the 3 (pts and ppg) and he did that in his only full season. Letang and Martin have had multiple seasons.
    2) If he's not there to run a pp, he might not be worth having as he isn't exactly the most reliable defender...
    12 tm pts only dynasty
    F (count 12): Bedard, Boldy, Beniers, Cooley, Michkov, Norris, Landeskog, Rossi, Reichel, Pelletier, Tomasino, Foerster, Bordeleau, Lysell, Wahlstrom, Bourque, Stankoven, Nazar, Othmann, Ostlund, O.Moore
    D (count 6): McAvoy, Kylington, Byram, Boqvist, Perunovich, Lundkvist, L.Hughes, Zellweger, Morrow
    G (count 2): Askarov, Wallstedt, Wolf, Kochetkov, Levi
    3 round draft and 1 waiver per team per year

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by NYR9394 View Post
    What are they supposed to do with there home grown & groomed guys?
    A: Let them go or trade them.

Hockey is a business. If your current players aren't getting it done for you, Homegrown or not, its time to explore some options.

Remember Ryan Whitney.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Hockey is a business. If your current players aren't getting it done for you, Homegrown or not, its time to explore some options.
    Goligoski and Letang haven't really had the chance to "get it done" or be "the man". They've always had the shadow of Gonchar looming over them. No matter how well they would do, Gonchar was always top dog. When Gonch went down, we saw some great signs of what Goligoski could do if he doesn't have an elite d-man eating up quality minutes. This year is going to be very telling for him. I think he takes another huge step forward. Letang...who knows? He's been a bit of an afterthought. Now is his time to either sh*t or get off the pot. But to say that they haven't been getting it done is unfair to them.