Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: How to do research?

The Great One

Default Re: How to do research?

Quote Originally Posted by Mmasked View Post
    I don't know if anyone still checks this thread out, but I'm having difficulty finding sites that allow me to set an age range when I'm searching for stats. So many Dobber writers use lists such as "Since 2011, x number of players under 21 have scored at this pace while yada yada", and I haven't been able to find a site that combines all the search criteria I'm looking for.

FYI, I was specifically looking for career comparables to Jordan Greenway, trying to see how similarly built players (hugemongous) faired through their age 22 seasons
    https://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...psl_finder.cgi

That will allow you to search all 22 year olds, over whatever time frame you wish (e.g. 2010 to 2018). Downside is it returns a huge list, and you can't sort by things like height or weight. (But if you have a list of huge players in mind, you could certainly do searches on those specific players, based on their age 22 season).

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks!
    Fantrax 14 Team Dynasty H2H Points League
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 11bench 15minors
    G A SoG PPP SHP Hits Blks HT
    W Saves GA SHO

C: Horvat, W Karlsson, White, J. Hughes, Little
    LW: Gaudreau, Kreider, Hintz, Forsberg
    RW: Burakovski, Virtanen
    LW/RW: Bjorkstrand, Svechnikov, Burakovsky, Farabee, Greenway
    D: Pulock, Dumba, Heiskanen, Fowler, Murray, Murphy, Dunn, Grzelcyk, Pelech
    G: Hutton, Kinkaid, Merzlikins
    Farm Highlights: Batherson, Puistola, Koivula , Tippett, Madden, Dobson, Sandin, Rasmussen, L Brown, Nedeljkovic, Mahura, Capobianco, N Robertson, , Rafferty, Alexeyev
    Picks: 2020- 2x Rd 1, 1x Rd 3

Full rebuild mode after inheriting a dumpster fire...

Dobber Sports Stud

At the point where I feel I am a lock to make the playoffs, I start researching each playoff round and see if I have any benching problems due to day overload. Use the mid round picks you accumulate through the year accordingly to stack up your playoff rounds. In a keep 5 like mine, it makes certain players expendable.

Having a bunch of players that are playing 4 games a week every playoff round is only good if they are not forcing you to bench a lot of them. Having guys with schedules that play only 2 games a week in the opening round can be devastating. I have been going around buying up players with Favorable schedules.

I am currently trying to trade Kyle Connor due to his playoff schedule being meh. 3 games in the first round against Toronto, 3 games in the 2nd round vs Edmonton and montreal. In the final week he gets a huge 4 game week, 3 vs Ottawa, but it only helps if I make it to the finals.

Target a guy like Joe Pavelski and Dmen like Klingberg and Heiskanen. First round of the playoffs Dallas plays 4 games against Detroit. LOL, then another 4 game week 2 and a 3 day week 4 that might turn to 4 due to them shoehorning in COVID PPD days back in.

Realize the fact that Kane and Debrincat have been feasting on Detroit and Columbus. Kane has like 21 of his 40 points against those 2 teams and Chicago does not play those 2 teams in any of his playoff weeks. I traded Debrincat for Brayden point AND got a 3rd round pick out of it during 1 of point's cold streaks after Debrincat murdered Detroit for a week and looked like a Demigod. Essentially, I traded a winger playing 3 games vs Nashville in the opening round for Point who plays 4 games week 1, also gets FOW for me and 2 of his 4 games are vs Columbus.

Boston has a powerful Schedule with several powerful players. 4 games week 1, 2 games vs Buffalo. 3 games week 2, 2 games vs Buffalo, 4 games in the finals, 2 vs New Jersey, 2 vs NYR
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Stud

Also at the start of each season, after about the 2 week mark, people start getting antsy if their platyers are snakebitten,

Start checking NHL.com under stats to see who has been hitting posts and crossbars. To me those are goals if they dipped a quarter inch in the other direction and can give a clear outline of if certain players are just snakebitten. For example. Eichel is being kind of mocked right now for only having 2 goals on the season. but goddamn he hit 5 posts. it will eventually start going in.

Elias Pettersson has hit like 4 posts and 4 crossbars. in the first 8 games he had hit 6 of those posts and crossbars and looked snakebitten. Having only a goal and assist in his first 8 games made his owner panic and he ended up trading him unexpectedly. I was livid because as far as I knew he was untouchable and I would have bid for him.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by J0e Th0rnton View Post
    Also at the start of each season, after about the 2 week mark, people start getting antsy if their platyers are snakebitten,

Start checking NHL.com under stats to see who has been hitting posts and crossbars. To me those are goals if they dipped a quarter inch in the other direction and can give a clear outline of if certain players are just snakebitten. For example. Eichel is being kind of mocked right now for only having 2 goals on the season. but goddamn he hit 5 posts. it will eventually start going in.

Elias Pettersson has hit like 4 posts and 4 crossbars. in the first 8 games he had hit 6 of those posts and crossbars and looked snakebitten. Having only a goal and assist in his first 8 games made his owner panic and he ended up trading him unexpectedly. I was livid because as far as I knew he was untouchable and I would have bid for him.
    It's easier to use the in-house option for data on missed shots.
    https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...data_length=30

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Does anyone have a good resource for SOG projections? I'd like to add a column to the Dobber spreadsheet
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    UAVMX - Here is my gold websites for research

#1 Everyday at some time, go to USATODAY's fantasy hockey for news on any players. It should only take 3-5 minutes to go through a day's worth of updates. If often addresses line changes from previous nights games and always address major things like injuries or trades. At the bottom of each "news" blurb - it lists a source in case you want to read more on it or verify the reliability of the source.

http://fantasyhockey.usatoday.com/co....asp?sport=NHL

#2 DobberHockey's forums, right here. I don't need to post the link. And you found the "Fantasy Tools" here. There are two in there that should be used "Line Combinations" and "Line Production". You can either sort by player or sort by TEAM. The team sort is good because it will allow you to see who teams are putting out there. The "last 10 games" is my favourite for sorting because it will keep you very current. For example, sort BUF or Tyler Ennis for the last 10 games of last year's regular season and you will see why he is a good sleeper pick in pools this year.

#3 ESPN Player Profile "Game Logs". I like these because it gives you a game-by-game breakdown of stats including "ice time" (key!). It is a very good tool if you know the player you want to research. You need to be a little skilled in "reading the numbers & trends".

Good work on your part to ask for help. Lots of friendly folks on the site here!!!

Funny thing... I found my post from 2010!!!
    11 years later... I'm still visiting the same three sites daily:

Rotoworld's hockey Player News, (I guess this is called "NBC Sports Edge"... I still type in rotoworld in my browser!)
    These Dobber forums,
    and ESPN for Player Stats and Game-by-Game stats

Dobber Sports Apprentice

These sites have SOG projections?
    Keep 3 League, 14 team H2H, Roster: 6F, 4D, 4BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, PIM, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SA, SV%
    F: Matthews, Pastrnak, Hughes, Pettersson, Guentzel, Meier, Hyman, Streamer
    D: Dahlin, Carlson, Trouba, Gudas, Larsson
    G: Oettinger, Talbot, Swayman

One Year League, 10 Team H2H, Roster: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, W, F, 4D, UTIL, 5BN, 2G
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, SH%, PIM, HITS, BLKS W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    C: McDavid, Thomas, Rossi
    LW: Guentzel, McTavish, Byfield, Huberdeau
    RW: Miller, Barzal, Zuccarello, Schmaltz, Tarasenko
    D: Josi, Seider, Trouba, Gudas, L. Hughes
    G: Oettinger, Demko
    IR: Hamilton

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by skinnypete88 View Post
    These sites have SOG projections?
    In the guide, yes. More specifically, in the draftlist spreadsheet you get when you buy the guide.

Pair that with FantasyHockeyGeek, and you can make a brilliant custom draftlist for any league.

Best $18.99 you can spend to plan your draft!

Comish Dynasty 2021-22 (24 Team Roto Dynasty, Custom Salaries)
    Minnesota North Stars, 2nd Tier
    C - Aho, Rakell, Foligno, Trenin (Janmark, Steel, Kurashev)
    LW - Hall, Lucic, Sanford, Bellows (Vesalainen, Foote, Katchouk)
    RW - Seguin, Toffoli, Jaskin, Donskoi (Jarvis)
    D - Sergachev, Edler, Petterson, Forbort, Ceci, Valimaki (H.Fleury, Alexeyev, Salo)
    G - Price, Brossoit (Stolarz)

Dobber Sports Recruit

Hi guys,

(1) Is there a site that will allow me to see the total points scored by all forwards during the 2022-2023 season? Same thing for defensemen? I'm trying to figure out the ratio between forwards points and defensemen points. Unfortunately, Fantrax has only Skater and Goalie distinction in our league setting.

(2) Is there a site where I could search all players below 25 yrs old and filter 'em by points from last season? Even better would be all time games played? Our rookie eligibility is less than 25 yrs old and less than 25gp for the draft. I'm trying to find some hidden gems for the later rounds.

Thank for the insight !

(edit: gave more details to one of my questions)