Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How to do research?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

all the suggestions above are good, as well as ppg, last 3 gms in fantasy tools is useful as to see what a team is using in the line-up on a weekly basis(pick-up). as for playoffs, i took a shot on bolland with my last pick last year, basically using the ppg, he rocked, but it helps that a team goes far, no doubt, also rocked with niemi, which was a pick em over broduer, i lucked out....won league, 2nd in playoffs.....not a lame yahoo league like most here

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Does anyone know if an iphone app exists to do the following:

- Track a list of selected players giving the most stats possible BUT! for prospects as well. I have a very deep keeper league pool and would love to keep track of prospects in the CHL, SEL, NCAA and AHL as well as my NHL players.

I know a couple of apps are good to follow players and their stats in the nhl, but i want more!

Dobber Sports Master

Some really great advice here. How did I miss this thread? Thanks for some of the ideas lads. Really good stuff.

If I can add something. I use spreadsheets a lot when analyzing a lot of stats. I'll create huge tables of stats, create data filters, then add my categories to the tables, and add up what their points would have been. For example, I'll have a shots column and right next to it, I'll have a shots fpts column (C1=B1*0.333). By doing this for all my stats in the league, I can filter specific categories I want to target and arrange the data for any column I want. This is especially handy in a H2H league.

I will create other columns like Rookie (y or n) so I can filter rookies. I'll create 4yr as a yes/no column. You can filter on any of these columns and just look at rookies or players coming into his 4th year.

I will also create a pts/gm, PIMS/gm, shots/gm and a pts/prorated for 82 games, a fpts/game prorated to 82 games and a total fpts column (add up all the other fpts columns you made). I use these kinds of columns to highlight players that were making noise in one or more area, but get lost b/c of games missed.

Lastly, after I've analyzed the data over and over again, I will create the final column of players that I want to draft. I'll rate them in tiers. 1, 2, 3, 4 for each position. When a tier is getting low for a particular position, I'll draft it.

Anyways, that's how I do my research. I read a lot of hockey articles on the internets and then use the spreadsheets to back up or disprove the ideas I've read.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I often use spreadsheets from different producers (Dobber, THN, Score etc)

I'll average the points and then resort to come up with a new ranking.

It's been pretty successful in the past and usually evens out any long shots
    Last edited by lfchockey; September 2, 2011 at 1:48 PM. Reason: mispell
    Creator of the NHL Rank King iPhone app.

Dobber Sports Newbie

Lots of great stuff here!
    Great thread
    Dang... lost my other username. Time to start over

Dobber Sports Stud

Personally pre draft spend a few hours looking at rankings from as many "experts" as you can find. there is a good one for points here, yahoo does their rankings, and there are tons more from bloggers who have been doing this for years. Personally i trust dobber the most, but that does not mean i take his word as gospel.

Post draft, whenever you make a trade, before you offer or accept a trade read up on everyone involved. It only takes 20 minutes to check the boards here and google them to see if there is something you are missing.

The biggest advice i have is that it is your team TRUST YOUR GUT. if you read everything you can, you are the expert on your league... you have to trust that you will know what to do.
    10 team Dyn
    tavares rnh statsny
    AO benn
    kessel malkin
    ryan purcell
    green letang enstrom kulkov OEL ellis
    lundy ward varly bernier lehrner
    burmistrov hodgson michalek, ryan oreilly, turris okposo

16 team h2h
    Spezza, Tavares
    Vanek,doan
    malkin, eberle
    Doughty Letang, karlsson, weber
    hall
    green enstrom downie palmeiri kassain bogo
    lundy price pavelec

weiters fielder kipnis wright hanley braun upton upton maybin victorino goldschmidt
    kershaw, startsburg, greinke, bumgarner, price, neise, bret anderson
    valverde, hanrahan, aceves, reed, guerra, storen

Dobber Sports Sophomore

@ Atomic Wedgy
    Spreadsheets are something that intrigue me as I can see how they could really give you an edge against GM's that solely rely on the Yahoo! data. I can grasp how to set up the relevant stats and categories, my only question relates to updating the data. Do you manually update each players stats as you see fit, or is there a way to have an excel spreadsheet automatically update each players stars after every game?
    18 Team Keeper, H2H, Daily, 10 Keepers/Season
    G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPP,GWG,W,GAA,SV%,SHO
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G

C - Stamkos, Giroux, Tavares, Ribeiro,
    LW - Booth, Chimera, Ruutu, Thornton
    RW - Hudler, Hemsky, Alfredsson, McDonald
    D - Edler, Carle, Visnovsky, Kuba, Faulk, Orlov
    G - Pavelec, Ward

Dobber Sports Master

You can pay for external data sources, but that is for those who are hosting a pool service or something like that. Its too expensive just to have your spreadsheet updated. Whenever I have a tough decision, I usually bang out a fresh one. it doesn't take that long to put together.

The spreadsheet is pure gold at draft time. That is really when the work of creating it pays off.

Thumbs up

A lot of it comes down to experience
    Roster Requirements
    (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 4 D, 2 G)Totals:25 15 Starters, 10Bench, +4 IR - Head To Head - Weekly Lineups - Stats: PTS ONLY- 1PT/START(G) 2PTS/WIN - 5PTS/SHUTOUT
    Record: 17-7-0 (2015-16 Champ)

C: Seguin, Giroux
    LW: T.Hall, Panarin
    RW: P. Kane, Palmieri
    F: Galchenyuk, Domi, Landeskog
    D: Subban, Ekman-Larrson, Suter, Vatanen

Bench: T.Hertl, V.Nishushkin, Gallagher, Pulkkinen, Mike Reilly, Korpisalo
    Goalies: J.Allen, Lundqvist

Farm Team: Rantanen(RW) Barzal(C) Provorov(D) Nurse(D) Kylington(D)

Follow Me https://twitter.com/#!/MRHOCKEYLOVER87

Dobber Sports Ace

My success has been sorta on the same timeline as an NHL player...
    Success in the rookie year, try to do do much in the second year and bombing, and then getting steadily better year after year. Try to challenge yourself with the leagues you are in. Try to not play with managers who are way below or above your level, it just isn't as fun.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

A lot of it comes down to experience.

In just your 2nd year the best outcome for you is probably just to absorb as much information as you possibly can.

Get familiar with player's names and team superstars and continue to learn the ropes of fantasy hockey. What are the fantasy indicators of success to look for, and keep following sites and forums to get the latest up to date info.

I've written a few articles the past few weeks that highlight the potential top-six of each team. Generally most are pretty set, with a few other key names to keep an eye on. Take a gander at those if you haven't done so yet.
    Roster Requirements
    (2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 3 F, 4 D, 2 G)Totals:25 15 Starters, 10Bench, +4 IR - Head To Head - Weekly Lineups - Stats: PTS ONLY- 1PT/START(G) 2PTS/WIN - 5PTS/SHUTOUT
    Record: 17-7-0 (2015-16 Champ)

C: Seguin, Giroux
    LW: T.Hall, Panarin
    RW: P. Kane, Palmieri
    F: Galchenyuk, Domi, Landeskog
    D: Subban, Ekman-Larrson, Suter, Vatanen

Bench: T.Hertl, V.Nishushkin, Gallagher, Pulkkinen, Mike Reilly, Korpisalo
    Goalies: J.Allen, Lundqvist

Farm Team: Rantanen(RW) Barzal(C) Provorov(D) Nurse(D) Kylington(D)

Follow Me https://twitter.com/#!/MRHOCKEYLOVER87

Dobber Sports Stud

Read every post ever written on this site by Ryan Ma and understand how he analyzes the numbers game in Fantasy hockey. Sure you may have a hunch, it might be great, but consider that the tipping point in a balanced fight. To make sure you stay in contention, the only true consistent approach to is to follow the numbers.
    10 Team Yahoo Roto
    Keep 3F, 1D, 1G (to max 2 years unless franchise keeper)
    3C,3LW,3RW,4D,2G,2BN,2IR Roto-play 85games/position
    Player: G, A, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, HIT, BS SOG, FW
    Goalie: W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: (F1) Tavares, Stastny, Carter
    LW: 1-Hall, Pacioretty, B.Schenn
    RW: Mackinnon, Nyquist, Hornqvist
    D: 1-Carlson, Josi, Faulk, Franson
    G: Andersen, Mason
    BN: Jones, Niemi

#- denotes number of years I have kept a player. 2 = I need to trade him this year, (F1) = Franchise Keeper, up to 4 years.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

what im curious about is -- what's the best source to find out who's securing what spots coming out of camps/pre-season? Is there a rank of all most-recent / most-likely PPQBs and top 6ers? Bought Dobbers guide, which is great, but those lineups are not super-current
    cheers
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Camp / preseason is meaningless... Can't go by that to find out top 6 roles.. Look at Boone Jenner for example, tore it up in preseason and even started the year on the first line. Need to monitor who guys play with and ice time 5 on 5 / PP / PK. that's really what it comes down to. unless your rebuilding and want to ride the prospect wave, Otherwise you'll win with guys that get the most ice time cause you can't collect points on the bench. Lastly, injury prone guys will haunt you, stay away. Safe to have 1 but anymore is devastation waiting to happen.

Cheers!!!!
    Rotissery STATS: points per category
    Stakers:G /A /+/- /PIM /SOG /GWG /PPP /SHP /Hit /Blk
    Goalie:W / SV% / SHO / PIM / G /A /PPP
    Starting Rosters: 12F / 6D / 2G and 3 bench
    15 Team - NHL Salary Cap (Current)
    8 keepers per team.

Forwards

Defence

Goalie
    Rask - Fleury

BENCH:

IR:

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: How to do research?

I read through alot of this thread and pardon me if it was already mentioned, but something I use fairly often to gauge a player's potential (or abilities at least) is YOUTUBE. You can always find some college or junior games on there, whether it be North American or European leagues. I see that many of the answers here focus on the statistical aspect of things, which is great, but I love seeing what a player can do on the ice as well to better assess the prospect's game going forward.

A good example I can share is when I researched Tyler Johnson 2 years ago. He was flying under the radar and there was only a bit of buzz about him on Dobber, but nothing more. Watching him play for his junior team, I instantly saw that the kid had talent. Had I just based myself on his stats, I would have most likely been turned off by his diminutive stature, thinking that even though the kid had good numbers, he would not be able to make it in the NHL cause of his size. Well the YOUTUBE clips clearly showed that Tyler Johnson had heart and drive and did not shy away from bigger players.

Morale of the story here, is to diversify your research and sources. A good Fantasy GM will be one that can grasp what he can from the available sources and make the proper assessment and predictions based on that. Therefore, more info = better projections; just make sure you get your information from trustworthy sources (experienced writers/scouts/bloggers... with little to no biases)
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay