Wheeler/Silfverberg/Burakovsky
    D:
    Green/Stralman/Reilly/Carlson/Larsson/Beaulieu
    Goal:
    Price/Rask/Varlamov

Dobber Sports Genius

It's simple really.

READ DAILY
    Websites, columnists, newspapers, magazines. Anything and everything you can get your fingers on.

TALK
    To everyone that you can. The exchange of ideas is valuable. It's also fun.

REVIEW
    Carefully pour through box scores, lists, abstract thoughts (who has won the Rookie, Scoring & MVP awards in each of the three Major Jr. leagues? - maybe this would find a sure fire NHLer?)

OPINION
    Read with the understanding that there is a lot of opinion. Some correct. Some incorrect. Then follow your own beliefs.

BUILD CHARTS
    A couple times a year I develop charts. This helps me assess what ranking players currently have in the overall Fantasy world. All G go on one page. D on another. LW on a third. C & of course RW go on their own pages.

WORK HARDER THAN ANYONE ELSE
    Like most everything in life, those that work the hardest, get the best results. Simple goal setting. (send out a trade offer a day/week)

PLAN & STRATEGIZE
    Understand your short term needs & goals. Understand your long term needs & goals. For example in cap, three years ago I wanted Duncan Keith. I got him. I traded him last year, just prior to his cap hit going through the roof. Develop team building strategies and implement them. In cap I concluded 20 points per $1M of cap space. "ABOVE THE BAR THEORY". Whether they're correct or not, at least I have a plan. Avoid middling or untradeable pieces at all costs. Dispose of depreciating assets.

NEVER THROW IN THE TOWEL
    Always drive to the top, never go backwards! NEVER!

CONTROL IT, DON'T LET IT CONTROL YOU
    By managing carefully, and daily, you'll soon control your destiny, rather than simply being pushed and warped by the league around you. It's in your hands.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I 'll try to add to what has already been mentioned:
    Increase the Speed of info!!
    ...A great tool is iGoogle. Set up your browser Home Page to iGoogle (or a similar search engine) with news widgets. When I open my browser every morning, it has all the recent articles on one page from all my favorite sites and bloggers. It instantly updates me on all the latest news. No injury, rumor, or trade ever gets by me.
    Set up a twitter account and follow Darren Dreger and Bob Mckenzie...then set both of them up to send all their tweets to your cell phone. I find these 2 guys are the fastest at getting breaking news and then tweeting it to their followers. Opening Day of Free Agency, Draft Day, and the Trade Deadline are the best days to be tuned in to both of these guys.
    Prospects!!
    ...Between Dobbers' guide and the Scouting Report's guide, you will get enough information on all the current NHL players to build a good roster, but Prospects is where you really need to do a little extra research. HockeyFuture is oft mentioned here in this thread, but I personally stay away from that site almost completely. You really have to use multiple sources, then do your own research based on your league's categories. Check all of these sources out and see which works best for you.
    Hockey News' Future's Watch issue - comes out around February each year
    Dobber's Prospect Guide - comes out every June (wish they would update this after the NHL Draft...I like this better than Dobber's draft guide)
    Mckeen's Yearbook - Every Sept
    TheScoutingReports' Prospect Spreadsheet - Doesn't give you any incite, but it puts their top 500 prospects and all their stats in one spreadsheet making it very convenient. And its priced right...every June
    and if you're willing to pay top $$...the Redline Report is very good.
    Starting Goalies!!
    ...as previously mentioned, Goalie Post is the best site to find out which Goalie is starting on a particular night, which is invaluable in Daily Lineup leagues.
    Watch the score board!!
    ...ESPN is the best, by far. My league is in CBS, BUT...I always setup a private free ESPN league for just my team! They have all the categories, including Hits and Blocked shots...and they update the all the stats..live...better than Yahoo, NHL, or CBS...and again...it's free.
    These are the secrets of Fantasy Hockey, but only the uber-active poolies really take advantage of all of them. The time you invest (and invest wisely) ultimately, is the most powerful tool to winning.

I like these types of threads, gives a nice little refresher even for the experienced guys. It's like putting on a pair of glasses, (or sobering up) just brings things back into focus.

PLAYER RESEARCH:

Dobber's site is obviously the best. The Prospect Guide/Fantasy Guide is the best deal on the net to familiarize yourself with all of the fantasy relevant players (points-wise) on the planet. I love Dobber's philosophy with regards to player potential (ice-time and opportunity) and appreciate that he gives the LTU - long-term upside for every player that he talks about.

Scott Nichols (Sportsnet Blog), is a great late-night/morning read as he blogs every game/boxscore and gives great insight into the ice-time and line combos for every game, every night.

League Research:

The real key to success in fatasy hockey, is to be able to correctly guage the value of players in your league. This value will be dependant on many factors. Most fantasy leagues will value points, which means you're looking for guys that will be playing top-line powerplay minutes. Most leagues will value shots/goals over assists, particularly if they include the SOG and GWG stats. A PPG will count as a G, P, PPG, PPP, SOG and could stand to be the GWG.

Drafting:

Know the number of GMs, the number of roster slots and the scoring categories ahead of time. Use your draft tools to guage who you might be able to draft BELOW their draft slot.

If you have confidence in your ability to trade, take advantage of your draft slot if the opportunity arises. In one year, I drafted 2 starting goalies and was able to parlay a goalie for a much higher rated forward.

In a league with 12 managers and 15 roster slots, you know that you'll be looking at the top 180 players in the league. I know that by looking at my stats sheets that we'll be looking a players 40pts deep into my pool. Positionally, you know that you will need the most fantasy points out of your 15 guys than anyone else.

Hockeypoolgeek, is a great site for helping you evaluate the positional value of your league both as a draft tool and trade evaluator.

Trades:

If you have any doubt about a trade, for cripes sakes ask someone outisde of your league for a little help. DO NOT BE BULLIED INTO A TRADE. If someone is putting the heat on you to get a deal done, it's probably because they're trying to rip you off.

Most importantly for keeper/dynasty leagues, DON'T DISTURB THE BALANCE OF THE LEAGUE. Nothing worse in a keeper league than having a GM who managed to talk the league's worst team into trading him Crosby/Ovechkin/Luongo for depth and futures to "help" him rebuild.

Think of prospects like you think about stocks. Many are over-valued because of the team that owns their rights (think Pittsburgh), many are under-valued because of a potentially long development curve. If your league runs a "farm squad" of prospects, be sure you're stocking up on the sellable ones - you want to be able to move them for immediate help if you're in a position to win. The sellable ones would be the high picks from recent drafts and/or the ones with a near opportunity to make their respective squad.

Cheers guys,

Jer

Comish Dynasty 2021-22 (24 Team Roto Dynasty, Custom Salaries)
    Minnesota North Stars, 2nd Tier
    C - Aho, Rakell, Foligno, Trenin (Janmark, Steel, Kurashev)
    LW - Hall, Lucic, Sanford, Bellows (Vesalainen, Foote, Katchouk)
    RW - Seguin, Toffoli, Jaskin, Donskoi (Jarvis)
    D - Sergachev, Edler, Petterson, Forbort, Ceci, Valimaki (H.Fleury, Alexeyev, Salo)
    G - Price, Brossoit (Stolarz)

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default How to do research

Great topic! I am super knew to all this so the info here is great!

Dobber Sports Recruit

Is anyone familiar with any of the iPhone apps to help manage hockey pools?

Dobber Sports Recruit

This looks to be a fantastic iPhone app to manage pools. I just purchased it and its great to use with all of the detail from this site. http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/pools...388889865?mt=8

Dobber Sports Rookie

I didn't read through the whole thread but if no one has mentioned it yet, rototimes.com is a good source of info.

Not that there's much there for drafting, but the in-season updates for injuries, stats and things like that are good.

There's also links to all the local newspapers for each team.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Mobile Tools

I'd be interested in find out all the recommended mobile tools.

Even sites that perhaps txt/sms you updates?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by hockeycougar View Post
    Is anyone familiar with any of the iPhone apps to help manage hockey pools?
    I've been using MyFantasyTeams Pro for the past couple of years to manage my Yahoo! Baseball, Hockey and Football Teams.

I'm giving the Lite version of Fantasy Monster a go right now, much better interface, more user friendly too. If all goes well, the Pro version might just replace MyFantasyTeams.

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/fanta...373005697?mt=8
    Last edited by zedtech; October 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I have been using this app http://poolsharx.com/ now for a few weeks and it is really great - nice that I can get my pool details and stats on my phone as well. Perfect for the train ride home after work.

One of the things I always check out is the espn game log - it breaks down the time a player spends on pp/sh/even strength. It also shows how manys shifts a player took, and has faceoff information. None of that stuff is available on the players info page.

But on the player page, it shows g/a/ +/- ppg ppa shg sha, total tio, pim etc... for the last 10 games.

Good info, I think when deciding between picking up two or more players.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I like to combine the Fantasy tools here on dobber with both the box scores/info, TOI, PP_TOI on ESPN and the Line combinations at:

http://www.fantasyhockey911.com/line-combinations
    14 Team Dynasty League
    5 C's, 8 W's, 5 D's, 2G's - 3 Prospects.

Scoring
    F: Goals(3) Assists(2)
    D: Goals(4) Assist(3)
    G: W(3) Saves(0.15) Goal Against(-0.75) Shutout(2)

C: Datsyuk, Grabovski, Backstrom, Bergeron, Bozak
    W: Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, P Kane, Hall, Sharp, Kessel, Nash, Silfverberg
    D: Enstrom, Letang, Kronwall, Faulk, Chara
    G: Miller, Price

IR:
    Prospects: Galchenyuk, Nyquist, Shore

can anyone recomend some good fantasy hockey podcast. I enjoy listening to ESPN's football and basketball podcast at work. Is there any insightfull hockey pod cast out there?
    12 Team Dynasty League - ESPN Points league / Weekly Head to Head

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I find the best thing in terms of a video podcast are the TSN Fantasy Hockey updates plus the blogs.

Here is a link
    http://tsn.ca/fantasy_news/
    There are usually daily updates from TSN, little video clips (a couple minutes or so). That should help bud!
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."