Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: How to do research?

Dobber Sports Pro

The established players is not usually where the value is at. If I can see video of a player in game action, it can make all the difference in assessing his potential. People have different opinions bu tnothing beats seeing the player and comparing to better players.

Dobber Sports Stud

A corollary to the top advice of reading these forums and asking questions is to try to answer other users' questions when they happen to fall in your bailiwick. Trying to teach others what you (think you) know is probably the best, and an ofen unappreciated, way to expand, clarify, and synthesize your understanding of a subject. You'll be forced to check your facts, assess your assumptions, and put your thoughts into precise language that will reflect back to you the central core of your ideas. Plus, it's what keeps the forum valuable and is of a generous spirit. In this case it has the added benefit that others (think of some of them like mentor teachers) will provide constructive criticism on these best of your thoughts, adding another dimension to your fund of knowlege and modes of analysis.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Hey_Robbie View Post
    A corollary to the top advice of reading these forums and asking questions is to try to answer other users' questions when they happen to fall in your bailiwick. Trying to teach others what you (think you) know is probably the best, and an ofen unappreciated, way to expand, clarify, and synthesize your understanding of a subject. You'll be forced to check your facts, assess your assumptions, and put your thoughts into precise language that will reflect back to you the central core of your ideas. Plus, it's what keeps the forum valuable and is of a generous spirit. In this case it has the added benefit that others (think of some of them like mentor teachers) will provide constructive criticism on these best of your thoughts, adding another dimension to your fund of knowlege and modes of analysis.
    excellent point .... it really is the best way to see what you actually know or think you know about a given player team or whatever. If you can put together a solid argument on these boards and stand by it chances are you are pretty confident in the research you have done so you are on the right track. The give and take of these boards is what makes it great. If it was the same 10 guys posting stuff and replying it wouldnt be the same!!

Also a couple of other sites that I dont think were mentioned and if they were sorry;

yahoo sports - game capsule/match report i think thats what its called- tells you who played on which line in that game and how often (can be very useful in following developing line trends)

thehockeynews.com - probably mentioned already - but i like the player section - gives a quick scout of talent and potential as well as decent stats at a glance.

capgeek.com - its important (in keeper leagues at least) that you know whats happening to your players - are they UFAs? RFAs? will they move up the depth chart next year because of cap issues?

hockeysfuture.com - its decent - but very slow to update and can be misleading sometimes - for instance they used to have Karl Alzner pegged as an offensive defenceman prospect - not really

tsn.ca - is a good site esp. for info on canadian based teams

nhl.com - already mentioned but - great stats and each teams website has a "in the system" or prospects page that can make for some very good reading and can be a good source

thats all i can think of right now , but as already said great thread and thanks for stixckying it or whatever sentium, makes for easy finding!!!!

Dobber Sports Expert

I think that interacting on the forums, sharing opinions (even if they are wrong) go a long way to gaining knowledge to compete at a high level.

I read everything I can get my hands on, box scores, hockey magazines, watch games everything. Bouncing ideas off of other fantasy players is essential.

great topic!
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Was gonna start a slightly differnt thread, but figured, "what the hey"...

Best (most helpful) fantasy hockey sites... other than Dobber'? I find myself quickly checking the following sites first thing when I get into work & at lunch:
    o Of course, Dobberhockey.com (best site for info and best forum by far, thanks guys. I also love the "Fantasy Tools" page).
    o Leftwinglock.com (great starting goalies site).
    o Kulkaskorner.com (great summary of the latest info from around the league).
    o Spectorshockey.net (keeps a good tab on rumors and trades).
    o Rotowire.com (I found it helpful for tracking players I was eyeballing durring the season and another opinion on projections, but since it's a pay (~$30+) site I probably won't use it anymore).
    o I heard it mentioned on the boards previously, so I'm just staring to experiment with Rotoworld.com. Anyone have an opinion on their site and projections (worth paying extra)?
    o Hockeysfuture.com (great prospects site).
    o When I'm bored I'll pop on Hockeybuzz.com, but mostly for the NYR blog. I know I'm not alone, but I find EK to be annoying and full of it (..."more to come"... but never does and is usually BS).
    o SNYRangersblog.com (keeps good track of all things concerning my favorite team.
    o I just started poking around Hockeypoolgeek.com, but haven't used it enough yet for a good assessment (not sure if I'm gonna spend the $).
    o I use Yahoo for my fantasy league and I love stat tracker to keep track of my fantasy team and NHL scores in real time.
    o I find it weird, but I don't really frequent ESPN, TSN or The Hockey News (unless linked to a Dobber article) unless I have too much time on my hands or during certain times of the year (UFA day, trade deadline day, etc.).
    o I don't use twitter, but does anyone find anyone in particular very helpful from a fantasy perspective?

I would love some thoughts on Rotoworld.com if anyone has an opinion.

THX!
    Last edited by Czechline; August 18, 2010 at 1:03 AM.
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Asked and Answered RE: Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Czechline View Post
    o I don't use twitter, but does anyone find anyone in particular very helpful from a fantasy perspective?

o I heard it mentioned on the boards previously, so I'm just staring to experiment with Rotoworld.com. Anyone have an opinion on their site and projections (worth paying extra)?

I would love some thoughts on Rotoworld.com if anyone has an opinion.
    Seems like Lemon Aid was working on a twitter article already. I liked the one comment RE: NHL Tweetmix @ NHL.com... aggregators are a great time saver, I'll start checking it out.

Anyone with a word or two on Rotoworld.com?
    Last edited by Czechline; August 20, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
    11 Team 1yr. daily update Yahoo Roto League (drafted 6th)
    Roster: 2C, 2L, 2R, 4D, 1U, 2G, 10 B, 1IR (NO max games played)
    Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, BS, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: J. Thornton, N. Backstrom, P. Stastny, D. Desharnais, Z. Konopka
    L: J. Benn (C/L), Jo. Staal (C/L), D. Perron (C/L), S. Kostitsyn, A. McDonald (C/L), B. Prust
    R: M. St.Louis, B. wheeler, J. Voracek, T. Purcell
    D: S. Weber, A. Goligoski, J. Carlson, D. Seidenberg, J. Gorges
    G: J. Quick, M. Smith, J. Hiller
    IR: --

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'll have to try out the Tweetmix. First I've heard of that.
    Last edited by Pengwin7; August 19, 2010 at 7:56 PM.

Dobber Sports Genius

Amazing how much hockey fantasy knowledge is shared freely on this site.
    Kudos to all.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Czechline View Post
    Seems like Lemon Aid was working on a twitter article already. I liked the one comment RE: NHL Tweetmix @ NHL.com... aggregators are a great time saver, I'll start checking it out.

Anyone with a word or two on Rotoworld.com?
    I used to do some work with Rotoworld on the game blurbs...

It's a great group of guys over there and they are very knowledgeable. The thing is Rotoworld is more of a news site, so you kinda get a "this player is on a 10 game scoring streak"... or "player x left the game with an injury", rather than personal opinions that you get from here.

A lot of their articles/columns are professionally done, but being owned by NBC Universal, I think they're kept to format rather than more of the personal stuff you get from the articles here. Here's there's a bit more interactiveness... I know in the articles I write, people can comment on them, and theres more reader involvement in questioning the items that I write. Where as on Rotoworld it's kinda just delivering the information and that's it.

But in terms of news and free access, Rotoworld is one of the best at providing that around.

Behind Dobber, Rotoworld is my #2 in terms of fantasy access...
    Last edited by Maaaasquito; August 22, 2010 at 3:38 AM.
    Dobber Expert Pool Champion 2011-12

Dobber Sports Initiate

Lots of great responses here!

For my research I take in as much info as I can about a player via the web/forums and try to get a consensus on a player. Sites like Dobbers that specialize in fantasy hockey are key. You can try looking at the Fantasy Hockey mags that come out to give you other perspectives on 1 year upsides or point projections. Hockeysfuture.com is a good site to get a comparision on the prospects "upside". Just keep in mind they are focused on the real NHL so a defensive defenseman can be an "elite" prospect there but would have little valuel in a fantasy hockey pool. Also, avoid the forums there! LOL. The feedback isn't nearly as insightful as Dobbers.

One other suggestion I would have if you're new to the game or only follow your west coast team is the puckpodcast. It can be downloaded from iTunes or you can find them on the net at puckpodcast.com. It's a weekly radio podcast that talks hockey from all around the leauge. It's entertaining and insightful and talks hockey around the NHL. It's a great podcast to get to know the NHL and players because they focus on the entire 30 teams and not just one or two. Highly recomended.
    Team 1
    C: Kuznetsov
    LW: Ovechkin, Hall, Gaudreau, Huberdeau
    RW: Perry, Voracek, Nyquist
    D: Hedman,
    G: Schneider, Hellebuyck*
    Prospects: Lazar, Mantha, Bjorkstrand, Gillies, P.L. Dubois, Konency
    * Prospect Bonus

Team 2
    C: Crosby, Malkin, Backstrom, Coyle
    LW: Saad, Lucic, van Reimsdyk, Kuznetsov
    RW: Ovechkin, Connolly
    D: Byfuglein, Krug, Green, Lindholm, Savard
    G: Price, Varlamov, Anderson, Bernier, Pickard
    Prospects: Nurse, Milano, Hellebuyck, Jarry, Gillies, Chychrun

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by UAVMX View Post
    follow up question:

How do you weight someone that was a young guy, or maybe an underperforming guy, that really stepped it up in the play offs....do you figure that will get carried onto the next season, or just a fluke? How do you take the playoffs into consideration
    Your first right move in researching fantasy hockey was joining this site! Ever since I've been a member (two years now) my experience, knowledge and success ratio has dramatically improved.

To address your follow up, one name for you: Ruslan Fedotenko!
    Has had some amazing playoff runs but never could really translate his playoff game during the regular season on a consistent basis. Simply put, playoff hockey is almost a different sport from regular season hockey. Some players are just better suited to one style. Success in the season does not automatically equate to success in the playoffs or vice versa.

Best way to know if a player is a fluke is simply by "doing some research" on his history. What are some trends? Anamolies? Strengths or Weaknesses? What do the scouting reports say? And most importantly...what does your gut say?

And last of all, if you're still unsure, just create a new thread on this site because I guarantee you there are many users who have already given alot of thought to your question before you even knew you wanted to ask it! And you will get the feedback...

Dobber Sports Stud

I don't think this has come up yet, but for me, this is probably the most important idea.

1. Know your GM's.

In my league, the other GM's are good friends. We talk hockey all the time and I'm careful not to reveal too much. But over the years, tendencies show, as if we have been playing poker for so long (we have).

Certain players are liked and certain players are over-evaluated. I already know I have no chance on certain players for this draft year so I don't know too much stock on my draft list.

I used to do mock drafts based on my knowledge but that's really tough and can through you off.

If a league is about winning trades, then this knowledge is invaluable. Look at my team in my sig. I recently traded Hossa for Perry and I got a pick upgrade. I think I won, but that GM totally thinks he did. Win-win I guess but I'll be winning that one for years.

I got that b/c I know that GM has Getzlaf and doesn't keep players for too long. He had the combo and it was a disappointing season so it was time to strike. I sold high on Hossa after winning the cup and it is my belief that he is no longer a 90 point player, especially playing second fiddle to Kane/Toews.
    Sneeze Girl: retired (Brett Favre'd)

9 Keeper, 7 Teams:

1 G, 1 A, 1 PPA, 1 PPG, 2 GWG, 1 SHG, +/-

3 WIN, -1 LOST, 5 SHUTOUT, -0.5 GA, 0.3 SV, -0.2 SHOT

Dobber Sports Ace

holy shit....the amount of advice in this thread is astounding...thank god the fossils in my 1 year league are still in the dark!....I'll tell them someday...LOL....$500 bucks goes a long way
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Dobber Sports Rookie

good advice everyone.
    Yes, it is important to use the information and match it to your need and your league rules accordingly.
    Don't over rank players that have success being 2 way players unless your league rewards defense.
    For example, if your forwards are scored purely on offense, do you choose M. Richards, Toews, or Semin?
    Toews is a hot name right now because of the cup, but he is so responsible that he may not be the right choice. Semin is an injury risk, but can light it up if healthy. Richards? Well, he is similar to Toews.
    Then you also have to look long term if you are in a keeper league.
    Are you going all out for the win this year, or are you building long term?
    Semin is hot with Washington, but where will he be next year? Toews and Richards are set where they are.

TSN is usually a leader in breaking news.
    Rotoworld is great for up to date news.
    ESPN also has good info.
    And then there is Dobber.......

Good luck!

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    I don't think this has come up yet, but for me, this is probably the most important idea.

1. Know your GM's.
    This is top notch advice right here....it is amazing what you can do simply by getting inside the heads of the other GMs. I dissect every post by another GM, I watch how trades go down, I track add/drops, anything to learn the habits of the others. And if all else fails, sneak into their homes and bug the joint!
    10 team, H2H Points, Limited Keeper (1C,2W,2D,1G,1 non G)

18 man roster plus 2 IR spots [20 total]
    start 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G; daily lineup changes

Stats: G,A,PPG,ENG,SHG,GWG,OTG,ShootOut Goals/Attemtps,Hat Tricks,+/-,FOW,PIMs,Majors,Misconducts,Hits,Blocked Shots
    Goalies Stats: W,Saves,Goals Against,SO

C: Tavares, Koivu, Backstrom, Johansen
    W: Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Komarov, Forsberg, Jenner
    D: Hedman, Ekblad, Niskanen, Yandle, Campbell
    G: Holtby, Schneider, Hammond
    IR: Anderson, Faulk