Thread: \"Champions League\"

I...am your father.

Default \"Champions League\"

Per my ramblings. What do you guys think of that?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:\"Champions League\"

I’m curious as to what is it for the NHL. Clearly, the NHL is considered thee most elite level of competition for professional hockey (with the exception of the Olympics), so what does it have to gain from playing Europe’s best other then obvious marketing benefits. What happens if they lose? Or worse yet, continually lose to European club? Does the NHL still retain it undisputed title of the highest form of hockey?

This situation seems remarkably similar to a situation I saw at a house party once…a big steroid taking freakshow with a bad ass reputation got pissed off a little guy for a some stupid reason. Told him that he was gonna beat the crap out him if he didn’t leave…immediately. Small guy told him to piss off and that everyone expects you to kick my ass, so I really have nothing to lose. Juice monkey swung at the little guy, completely missed and the little guy ended up shit kicking the supposed tough guy. Needless to say, his reputation was never the same.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I think it would be a great idea in all areas except for this craziness that is suggesting that the winner play an NHL team.

Maybe the Champion could play the last team in the NHL or something, I dunno.

It might be neat if they included the two Stanley Cup Finalists and it was a tournament setup, though I can\'t see that happening just because of all the injury risk etc.

Kind of an interesting idea, but would be shocked to see the NHL involved in it at all.

Dobber Sports Pro

I like this idea only due to the fact that it\'s so crazy.

Champions league for Europe is a phenomenal idea. Brilliant, something I\'ve been waiting for them to do for a while.

As for the NHL team...it would be insulting to the European leagues t have their champion team face a team other than the North American champion team. That said, facing the SC champ is a problem. Not only did they just go through a rigorous playoffs, but they have to suit up right after and face another team, probably in a best of 5/7 series? For kicks?

They just won the top award in hockey, so how do you expect them to put themselves at risk after such weardown, to play a European team likely filled with players like Steve Kariya.

That said, it could be a marketing goldmine, and could produce international rivalries(repeat champs on both sides face off again, for instance).
    At the very worst it could show the NHL team losing and weakening the north american hockey market and be a marketing disaster from that viewpoint.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I read (on TSN.ca?) that it wasn\'t going to be the SC champ, necessarily. I think it should be against the best team that didn\'t make the playoffs. (Would\'ve been Colorado, this year.) If there\'s a tie, the tiebreaker would be the team that was the \"hottest\" to end the year. Give those guys something to play for after not making the playoffs.

Or how \'bout against the Memorial Cup winners? (Not entirely serious, but that would be pretty cool.)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great, a meaningless exhibition game during a time when coaches will be more concerned about players not getting injured. I hope it can be as riveting as the All-Star game. Sure the European team will put in an effort but with nothing on the line I can’t see why an NHL team would do anything but mail in an effort.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Interesting read. On first blush Ioved the idea, but that was the hockey fan in me.

If the NHL considers realignment again, wouldn\'t it be cool if they opened 1 or 2 first round playoff spots to the Champions League finalist(s)? (Forget about European home games.)

Just a random thought...
    SirIrish -- loved the post.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I find that this a continuous move by the IIHF to make the European players not jump in the NHL. I feel like that NHL considers itself the \"best world hockey league\" with the best players in the world, which is true, and that the IIHF is jealous of it.

In a perfect IIHF world, all hockey would be played by Europe hockey rules and that every player would stay in their country while there is a World Championship per year with every country.

Am I wrong by thinking like this?
    QHL Stanley Cup champion 2006-07, 2007-08, 2008-09
    www.thephysicsofhockey.com

I...am your father.

Default Re:

Steffen wrote:
    If the NHL considers realignment again, wouldn\'t it be cool if they opened 1 or 2 first round playoff spots to the Champions League finalist(s)? (Forget about European home games.)

Just a random thought...
    This is the best idea yet - I love it. 14 NHL teams and two Euro teams vie for the Stanley Cup!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:

Dobber wrote:
    Steffen wrote:

Just a random thought...
    This is the best idea yet - I love it. 14 NHL teams and two Euro teams vie for the Stanley Cup!

I would totally love it aswell something new - fresh and bold !!!. A move like this would get the NHL tons and tons of looks in EUROPE and possible bring back ESPN to jump on board becasue there will be $$$ for them in EUROPE.

I know in soccer the UEFA LEAGUE(were teams from all countries battle for cups) are more exciting to watch than some of the watered down league games.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re:

diablos wrote:
    I would totally love it aswell something new - fresh and bold !!!. A move like this would get the NHL tons and tons of looks in EUROPE and possible bring back ESPN to jump on board becasue there will be $$$ for them in EUROPE.

I know in soccer the UEFA LEAGUE(were teams from all countries battle for cups) are more exciting to watch than some of the watered down league games.[/quote][edit--end of diablos quote]

All of you may have noticed there was no hockey on last night.

I watched that CBC 2-part mini-series, Canada Russia 72. I had taped it (on VHS, pre-Tivo) when it originally aired, and just got to it for the first time yesterday. I highly recommend it.

Would this IIHF initiative reproduce that? Not a chance.

The workable answer IS to seed European teams into the Stanley Cup playoffs. Sell it to Russia first, along with a viable exchange agreement (knowing it\'ll be a new precedent for the rest), and watch Ovechkin and Malkin, more likely Cherepanov, kindle new media interest worldwide.

Hmmm.... one Euro-team per NHL division? Some kind of shadow-standings? Could be even cooler...

Post edited by: Steffen, at: 2007/04/25 19:24

Post edited by: Steffen, at: 2007/04/25 19:24

Post edited by: Steffen, at: 2007/04/25 19:37