Thread: Greg McKegg

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Greg McKegg

OK, curiosity is too much, I have to ask. What's the story with Greg McKegg? In the prospect guide, he doesn't fit into Dobber or Van Horne's Top 50 prospects while they each have 8 or 9 2010 undrafted on their list. Yet at the bottom of the guide in the 2010 draftees profiles, he is mentioned as a top 15, likely top 10 pick with a potential (not upside) of 35-45-80, which is behind only behind Granlund(70+), Kabanov(70+), Hall(75++), Seguin(75+) & Tarasenko(80) and ahead of Burmistrov, Connolly, Johansen, Nino, Skinner, etc. He isn't in the current ISS top 30. Is this a case of a player who will take so long to develop to that point that it isn't possible to list him in a prospects ranking that takes time into consideration, or is there something else that I am missing? Any clarification would be great, as this has me very curious. Clarification from Dobber, Van Horne, Angus etc. would be great, but please, anyone who knows about this kid please jump in here too, the more the merrier.
    20-Team Keeper League
    PTS: G=1, A=1, W=2, SO=3
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't understand the numbers either. What exactly does a '+' or a '++' mean when you're defining "potential" as it's defined in the guide?

McKegg is a great prospect, but he doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as Hall and Seguin at this point and I almost passed out when I read these numbers in the guide.

The other thing that caught my eye was the defenceman who has the "potential" (again, defined in the guide) to score 65 points - 15 more points than any other defenceman mentioned, including Fowler and Gormley. I'm betting he doesn't even get drafted yet his "safe" potential is 65 points?!?
    12 Team Full-Keeper (Custom 82-game schedule, start 6F + 4D + 1G):
    G=1, A=0.5, GA=-0.5

F: Crosby, Benn, Giroux, Kopitar, Boedker, Franzen, Nyquist, Hertl, Ennis, Brassard, Saad, Yakupov, Kuznetsov, Dubinsky, Plekanec, Semin
    D: Yandle, Franson, Vatanen, Bouwmeester, Carlson, Garrison, Daley, Leopold, Voynov, Marincin
    G: Florida, Arizona
    FARM: Kucherov, Tatar, Bjugstad, Girgensons, Etem, Jurco, Nylander, Severson, Lee, Nieto, Stone, Zucker, DeAngelo, Kempe, Dano, Grimaldi, Bjorkstrand, Tolchinsky, R. Murray, Nygren, Elliott[/SIZE]

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by ccsitdown View Post
    OK, curiosity is too much, I have to ask. What's the story with Greg McKegg? In the prospect guide, he doesn't fit into Dobber or Van Horne's Top 50 prospects while they each have 8 or 9 2010 undrafted on their list. Yet at the bottom of the guide in the 2010 draftees profiles, he is mentioned as a top 15, likely top 10 pick with a potential (not upside) of 35-45-80, which is behind only behind Granlund(70+), Kabanov(70+), Hall(75++), Seguin(75+) & Tarasenko(80) and ahead of Burmistrov, Connolly, Johansen, Nino, Skinner, etc. He isn't in the current ISS top 30. Is this a case of a player who will take so long to develop to that point that it isn't possible to list him in a prospects ranking that takes time into consideration, or is there something else that I am missing? Any clarification would be great, as this has me very curious. Clarification from Dobber, Van Horne, Angus etc. would be great, but please, anyone who knows about this kid please jump in here too, the more the merrier.
    Dobber and I did the Top 50 list and Matt Bugg did the 2010 draft profiles. Dobber and I are looking for slightly different criteria when making our list. We're looking at upside, readiness, opportunity -- lots of different factors. Matt is just looking at pure upside.

I also think he ranks McKegg a little higher in the 2010 draft class than most. I'm not suggesting anything here, because Matt's been doing this a long time.

I'm just saying you're getting the opinions of three writers here and we don't huddle together to make sure we present a unified front.

As for McKegg, ISS has him ranked No. 73 for 2010 and while his hockey sense is excellent, he gets low marks for skating and his shot.

He's not flashy, but he produced this year, though, and he's great on faceoffs. Size is average -- just a hair under six-feet but he's got decent heft (191 pounds).

I'm certainly not writing him off by not including him in the top 50, I just think he's a ways away and might struggle at the next level because of his skating. He's certainly a guy that I've been watching for a couple of years.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by studley49 View Post
    I don't understand the numbers either. What exactly does a '+' or a '++' mean when you're defining "potential" as it's defined in the guide?
    You'll have to check with Matt on this.

McKegg is a great prospect, but he doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as Hall and Seguin at this point.
    This sums it up perfectly why he's not in Top 50 -- he's not only behind Hall and Seguin, I think is upside/impact potential is below that of other 2010 prospects on my list.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by studley49 View Post

McKegg is a great prospect, but he doesn't deserve to be in the same breath as Hall and Seguin at this point and I almost passed out when I read these numbers in the guide.

The other thing that caught my eye was the defenceman who has the "potential" (again, defined in the guide) to score 65 points - 15 more points than any other defenceman mentioned, including Fowler and Gormley. I'm betting he doesn't even get drafted yet his "safe" potential is 65 points?!?
    If McKegg makes the NHL it will be because he works on his skating, because that's the only glaring weakness I see in his game.
    If he works on his skating, he's got the tools and IQ to be incredibly effective. His work ethic was questioned a ways back if I recall, but this last season all I saw from him were great efforts consistently.

So basically, his skating is holding him back. Yet, that's not a huge concern because his skating took a hit from him getting injured in camp, if I recall. He was a fair bit quicker beforehand, even in his rookie year(which was low-scoring because his coach had a hitchcock-esque approach with him...low # of shifts, lots of practice drills to bring him up to par), so if he can recover fully over the summer he could surprise. He's a hard worker and very coachable.

He was selected #2 in the 08 OHL draft, which might not be all it's cracked up to be, but still a sign of how he was hyped and how far he fell with an unproductive rookie year(McFarland #1, Shipley #3, Gudbranson #4, Seguin #9, Fowler #17). He's good. If he's available later than expected in your fantasy drafts, picking him up is far from a bad idea.

I'm not always right when it comes to prospects. I have slip-ups (JS-Allard, maybe Keiran Millan if he doesn't recover next year), but I tend to have the general idea of a prospect about 70% of the time. McKegg is good. He's capable of the stats Bugg set up if he keeps on a good development curve
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by lockedge View Post
    If McKegg makes the NHL it will be because he works on his skating, because that's the only glaring weakness I see in his game.
    If he works on his skating, he's got the tools and IQ to be incredibly effective. His work ethic was questioned a ways back if I recall, but this last season all I saw from him were great efforts consistently.

So basically, his skating is holding him back. Yet, that's not a huge concern because his skating took a hit from him getting injured in camp, if I recall. He was a fair bit quicker beforehand, even in his rookie year(which was low-scoring because his coach had a hitchcock-esque approach with him...low # of shifts, lots of practice drills to bring him up to par), so if he can recover fully over the summer he could surprise. He's a hard worker and very coachable.

He was selected #2 in the 08 OHL draft, which might not be all it's cracked up to be, but still a sign of how he was hyped and how far he fell with an unproductive rookie year(McFarland #1, Shipley #3, Gudbranson #4, Seguin #9, Fowler #17). He's good. If he's available later than expected in your fantasy drafts, picking him up is far from a bad idea.

I'm not always right when it comes to prospects. I have slip-ups (JS-Allard, maybe Keiran Millan if he doesn't recover next year), but I tend to have the general idea of a prospect about 70% of the time. McKegg is good. He's capable of the stats Bugg set up if he keeps on a good development curve
    With regard to McKegg's skating, I'm only going on a scouting report that provides a summary of his overall skating ability.

One thing you should consider when determining how much a player can improve his skating is determine what is the root cause of the lack of speed.

For example, when Sidney Crosby was 14, many observers thought he only had average speed. He had a good stride, but he was a pretty skinny kid. Over the next three years, he worked out like a dog and added tremendous leg and core strength that gave him the speed he had upon entering the NHL.

My questions are thus: Does Greg McKegg at nearly six-feet and 191 pounds need to add leg strength or core strength? Does he need better conditioning? Or is his lack of speed due to his skating stride? If it's the latter, it will be more difficult for him to improve because you don't make great skating strides at that age. You can tweak them, but muscle memory is so ingrained at that point that it's more difficult. It's like changing the way you walk.

Strength and conditioning are much easier to improve than stride.
    Last edited by Scribe; June 4, 2010 at 9:07 AM. Reason: Fixed punctuation
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks for the reply, Van Horne. That all makes sense to me. And thanks for chiming in as well, Lockedge. Certainly a kid to keep an eye on, although not for me this year. We only protect 12 and as my roster is starting to creep towards competitive (I won this year, but just got hot at the right time, H2H can be that way), so I definitely don't have room for an experiment, but I will put him on the watch list for next year. Interesting comments on skating/improvement from both of you. Thanks.
    20-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 3D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 2 on farm

F: Kucherov, Scheifele, Eichel, Tarasenko, Rakell, Schwartz, Dadonov
    D: Doughty, Josi, Ekman-Larsson, Keith
    G: Hellebuyck
    Farm: Tolvanen, Kaprizov

16-Team Keeper League
    Starting roster: 6F, 4D, 1G, *Keep 12 + 4 on farm
    F: P Kane, Kessel, Pastrnak, Keller, Marchessault, B Schenn, Fiala, Kase,
    D: Weber, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Parayko
    G: Rask
    Farm: Kravtsov, A Boqvist, Necas, I Samsonov

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    With regard to McKegg's skating, I'm only going on a scouting report that provides a summary of his overall skating ability.

One thing you should consider when determining how much a player can improve his skating is determine what is the root cause of the lack of speed.

For example, when Sidney Crosby was 14, many observers thought he only had average speed. He had a good stride, but he was a pretty skinny kid. Over the next three years, he worked out like a dog and added tremendous leg and core strength that gave him the speed he had upon entering the NHL.

My questions are thus" Does Greg McKegg at nearly six-feet and 191 pounds need to add leg strength or core strength? Does he need better conditioning? Or is his lack of speed due to his skating stride? If it's the latter, it will be more difficult for him to improve because you don't make great skating strides at that age. You can tweak them, but muscle memory is so ingrained at that point that it's more difficult. It's like changing the way you walk.

Strength and conditioning are much easier to improve than stride.
    Well, a lot has to do with conditioning and bringing his leg strength back after his ACL sprain.
    His stride is decent. He used to be a bit bowlegged but has worked over the years improving it and since he started working with his current skating coach I've seen dividends in his games. Sure, I've only seen him play 6 or 7 times this year, but I saw him play 10 or so games last year and the differences are subtle but he's getting more efficient out there. With the injury he suffered, his skating could have been a lot worse, and even at the end of the year his skating wasn't close to 100%, yet he was very capable out there. With a summer of conditioning and training, his leg strength should be back to 100% and he should be confident enough to skate as he knows he can, instead of skating at 80% speed and losing his first step and some mobility.

He's still got room to build up more strength, both in his core and legs, but with the injury he suffered I can see more of a focus to get his legs back to full this summer rather than a fully progressive schedule.

McKegg will never be the fastest or the most effortless skater out there, but he's sure as hell capable of average NHL speed. Most people judging his speed this year saw him battling his leg injury. There's a chance he won't recover all that speed, but it's very slim. A sprain is nowhere close to as damaging as a tear.
    ZFHL
    ------------
    Ovechkin-Couture-Kovalchuk
    Benn-Ott-Eriksson
    Halischuk-Berglund-S.Thornton
    Bowman-Legwand-Mitchell
    Faulk-Orlov
    Martin-Y.Weber
    Wilson-Smid
    Niemi

Butler,Horak,Nodl,Omark,Bartulis, Carson,Demers,Staios,Garon,Schneider

PROSPECTS
    Nyquist,Bennett,Guptill,Haula,Knight, Kristo,Ranford,Rieder,Sundher,Barberio
    Dumoulin,Deslauriers,Janosik,Klefbom
    Ness,Sproul,Vatanen,Poulin

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Great stuff guys. I am pleased with Burkes selection this year in Bradley Ross and especiall McKegg. I hope to catch some of his games this season in the OHL. His coach is pretty defensive so his offensive numbers are even more impressive.

As for his skating, there are lots of examples of poorer skaters (Tavares being one) but the hockey IQ, defensive awareness and ability to put up offensive numbers are definitely encouraging signs as he works toward an NHL player.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I took him at #30 in one of my leagues. Bugg has a lot of good insight into a lot of these players, and I'd rather use an early pick on someone with that huge of potential that might not live it to it rather than someone who can be a mediocre NHLer.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Greg McKegg

#BumpOfTheDay
    For those just joining (with blinders) - this thread was starting on June 2nd... 2010.
    Yes - the SAME Greg McKegg.

Quote Originally Posted by ccsitdown View Post
    Yet at the bottom of the guide in the 2010 draftees profiles, he is mentioned as a top 15, likely top 10 pick with a potential (not upside) of 35-45-80, which is behind only behind Granlund(70+), Kabanov(70+), Hall(75++), Seguin(75+) & Tarasenko(80) and ahead of Burmistrov, Connolly, Johansen, Nino, Skinner, etc.
    When I joined the forums in 2010... ccsitdown, Matt Bugg, Dean Youngblood & dyzfunctioned were some of my absolute forum members to read.
    So... hey guys... it looks like Greg McKegg has ARRIVED!
    [props to the pessimism of Scribe!!!]

(j/k here. We've all missed on prospects. Part of being in the business of putting your comments out on a public forum! D'oh!)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Greg McKegg

I actually might grab him in a deeper league that I'm in.