Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32

Thread: EC SF (4) Pittsburgh vs. (8) Halak

Dobber Sports Initiate

A little bit late, but, I couldn't get this post to go up. Hopefully it works this time.

Kudos to the Habs. An awfully impressive performance.

Game 7 was really a microcosm of the Pens season €“ failure to play for 60 minutes, powerplay letting the team down, sloppy puck management, inconsistent goaltending, yet periods of dominance. In the end, this series was truly a team loss, but I think blame can be thrown to a few different places. The easy target is Fleury, but, he€™s not even near the top in my book €“ this series could have been over before tonight if the other problems wouldn€™t have been there.

First and foremost, blame falls upon the top-six of the Pens. And with the Pens, that really means the €œtop 2€ €“ Crosby and Malkin. I have a lot less issue with Crosby€™s lack of production for a couple reasons: (1) he carried the team in the Ottawa series, (2) he was shouldering an incredible media load for the team in this series, (3) he was shouldering a huge defense pairing load €“ Gill and Gorges €“ in this series. Malkin fell so far short of any reasonable expectation for this post-season its sickening. I don€™t know what is wrong with this guy. He finished (I think) eighth on the team in even strength playoff points. Behind Cooke, Talbot, and Dupuis.

Tied with Craig Adams with three ES points in the series. He turned the puck over a ton, he was lazy and careless in his own zone, and he failed to create any opportunities for his albeit joke linemates. He was basically a powerplay special-ist this post-season. Overall, the Pens had six evenstrength goals (excluding empty netters) through six games in this series. Crosby and Malkin each with one ES point.

Trying to figure out what word is giving me t he error. More to follow.
    Last edited by Kraftster; May 13, 2010 at 4:42 PM.
    12 H2H Pts - Keep 17 + 8 Farm
    Points for: G,A,PPP,SHP,D Points,+/-,S,PIM,HIT,BLKS; Wins,SO,OTL,S,GA

C(3): Getzlaf,Lecavalier,Berglund,Granlund*
    RW(3): Perry,Wheeler,Franzen(LW),Hemsky,Little
    LW(3): Zetterberg(C),Marleau,Duchene(C),Clowe(RW)
    D (6): Seabrook,Kronwall,Zidlicky,Giordano,Faulk*,Diaz*,W ilson*
    G (2): Luongo,Smith,Neuvirth

Farm (<200 GP/<100 GP goalie):
    C: Kuznetsov,Hartikainen
    W: Paajarvi,Greening
    D: Kostka,Martinez,
    G: Bishop,Gibson,Johnson

Dobber Sports Initiate

Woo...I found the part that is messed up, I think. Now have to find the precise word.

The team is not built to win games where they get outscored so substantially at even strength. Which takes me to the second issue – coaching. I really would have liked to see a shift in the Pens approach by game 3/4. They really played right into Montreal's hands (after watching Washington, essentially, do the same thing). The impact of this was magnified by the sloppy puck management throughout the series. I think the team would have been a little taken aback by a drastic change, but that is exactly what they needed. Surely puck management was being preached, but, it wasn't getting the guys to be any less careless. You get everyone concentrating on trapping and they are more thoughtful overall with what they do with the puck.

Its a bit mind boggling that the Pens just kept coming with the same approach. You could tell from post game and between game remarks that the team feels like they can impose their game on anyone. Shame on them for not being willing to see that it wasn't going to happen here. Making it even more inexplicable, they just watched it happen to the Caps. Throw out Game 1 and Montreal basically played the same very effective game for 9 straight games and the Pens made no substantial changes.

I already hit the other big issue €“ puck management. Just like they€™ve been all year, defensemen and forwards alike were inexcusably careless with the puck in their own zone/neutral zone. Credit to Montreal for taking advantage of turnovers at an unbelievable rate.

And, yes, Fleury gets some of the blame. He, quite simply, needs to be better than he was in most games €“ not games three and five (coincidence those were two wins?). Take away the other issues and the Pens get out of this series well before tonight€™s stinker of a game from MAF. The Habs, again (as they did to the Caps), make Fleury look horrible for anyone who checks the box score. His numbers were bad, while Halak looks like he was superhuman. Halak was good, and Fleury wasn€™t great, but neither were as drastic as the numbers suggest. The Habs few shots they did get were often very good chances. Meanwhile, the Pens had many shots that were of the non-challenging variety. They had plenty of tough ones too, and probably would have had a lot more if Halak EVER gave up a rebound, but, they didn€™t generate a ton of high quality chances. Again, Kudos to the Habs defensive game €“ both forwards and D.

Habs played a perfect game against the Pens. Pens players and coaches refused to adjust. Just kept trying to get to their game, their aggressive forecheck, and they struggled to do that. Struggled to generate speed through the neutral zone. But kept giving Fleury little help by not altering their game to give the Habs fewer chances.
    I am rambling at this point. The trap is not dead. Congrats, Habs and Habs fans, heck of a series.

Dobber Sports Initiate

FYI, it was "special-ist" (as all one word) that was messing up.

Dobber Sports Sage

LOL @ this guy's Halak sign:

@tlucarelli on twitter

Dobber Sports Pro

Yeah Big Ev.. you aren't close to getting banned. When I first joined, I got drunk one night and logged on to complain about the canadiens and commented that I hate french people. If I didn't get banned for that... it takes a lot to get banned from this place.

PS I don't hate french people. I was just angry that night. In fact, I went clubbing with two MTL girls I happened to meet in Vegas.. they looovveee Halak. The one girl was focusing on snowboard for 2018 olympics. They eventually were rude and ditched me in the club to go sleep.
    Follow me on X! Renegade_H

16 team Banger league
    G,A,PPP,BLK,HITS,PIM,SOG,W,GAA,S%,SAVES

FWDS
    Robertson, Stamkos, Kyrou, Huberdeau, Necas, Carlsson, Rossi, McMichael, Coleman, Gaudreau, Schwartz, Kuzmenko, Hathaway, Hoglander, Domi, Barbashev, Newhook

DMEN
    Montour, Burns, Hanifin, Sanheim, Walman, Pionk, Provorov

GOALIES
    Fluery, Montembeault, Wedgewood, Raanta

Injured
    F. Andersen, Landeskog, Hamilton

PROSPECT POOL
    Kasper, Moore, Ostlund, Yurov, Morrow, Zellweger, Nazar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kraftster View Post
    FYI, it was "special-ist" (as all one word) that was messing up.
    haha I guess you missed my post in your other thread...was hoping to save you a lot of trial and error

http://www.dobberhockey.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=68014

Banned

awwwwwwwwwwwwww