Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: DailyFaceoff.com stealing from LeftWingLock!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I think it's indirect stealing. They profit (ad money) from the time and effort put in by LWL. So while they haven't stolen something tangible, they've in a sense stolen LWL's time and effort.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Ace

Wow, you go offline for 4 hours and a thread can really blow-up!

While I disagree with Dailyfaceoff's rebutal to LWL's claims, this is probably the best thing that could have ever happened to them. I never even knew of their website until I read LWL's daily entry. So now I, and many others, are aware of an alternate site to find goalie info, which can drive traffic away from LWL.

Now I doubt I'll go over there looking for it (unless LWL crashes - which happens sometimes), but I'm sure others will. This open letter for stealing goalie info will end up boosting their traffic. It's almost like the 'ol showbiz saying, "There's no such thing as negative publicity".

I work in the TV news buisness in Green Bay. I cringe when a TV stations do a promo finding a way to "attack" a competitor. Not because what they were saying was right or wrong, but it often meant that they had something to worry about, rather than promote their own product. Now, is this a direct parallel to what's going on with LWL vs. Dailyfaceoff.com? Maybe, or maybe not... I guess that's left to us to wonder and take away from this what we will.
    Yahoo! H2H, 1 year, 12 teams, Daily starts
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HITS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2G, 5BN, IR, 3IR+
    Used 34/45 moves
    ---------------------
    C} Matthews, Barkov, Miller(RW)
    LW} B.Tkachuk(C), Guentzel, Connor, E.Kane
    RW} Nichushkin(LW), Rust, Zuccarello
    D} Josi, Fox, Dobson, Carlson
    G} DeSmith, Daccord, Grubauer
    IR} Demko
    IR+} none

via GIPHY

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    I posted my big post with comments on their open letter post and they didn't approve it, so I wrote a second comment telling them that they're spineless, unprofessional and lazy for not manning up about stealing content. I got this email response to that:

"I'm not approving comments that claim we steal all of our links because we don't. When you get your facts straight, you can post."

To which I responded with the following:

"You have a serious problem with reading comprehension. I never stated that it was all links. I stated that you steal content. That's an ambigious statement. Learn how to read and look up the word "literally" you spineless thief."
    That's funny that he denied that but my posts were, somehow, approved.

He's taken to emailing me about it as well too:
    "If your definition of an immature hackjob doesn't include people that run a site that decides to go out of its way to call out another site on their homepage instead of actually confronting them then good riddance."

funny, I thought making a blog post about the issue was confronting you...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Wow, this is just amazing. Here's a comment he posted after a bunch of other comments:

So.. is everybody here 12 years old? Who actually confronts somebody over a blog post.

I’ll be perfectly honest… I don’t care what you guys are manufacturing. I’m not doing the work over again if somebody else has already done it and that’s final. I don’t feel bad about it and I’m crediting the people who do the real work and I’m sure that is how they would prefer to see it as well. Those of you that don’t like that, go use another site.

I’m looking at their comments and their idiot readers are calling for cease and desist and lawsuits.. give me a break. I know all of the negative comments from here are coming from their readers and most of the spam comments are as well.

We don’t hide being secret identities like the other site and we don’t spam the hell out of other sites. We don’t imitate other bloggers on message boards or beat reporters’ comments sections and we certainly don’t threaten other writers’ families.

The fact that I even need to address this is absurd.
    He has the gall to call himself a professional and then proceeds to display the mentality of a pissy three-year-old in a sandbox, with no sense of honor or professionalism. Just because he's being so goddamn childish, I'm getting the urge to delete every mention of his site here on this forum, just edit or delete posts that promote it. He doesn't deserve positive mention, because he is a complete douchebag.
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

I don't know what to say...so many thoughts on this...must...sort...out...

*sips coffee and reads on with interest*
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Icon

I agree that its a little underhanded what happened, but I think lawsuits and C & D orders are going a little overboard in reaction to it (I don't think LWL would actually do that, it would be a waste of time, energy & money).
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

It's legal for a reason.

If Dobber found a really cool youtube video on a puck daddy blog, he obviously doesn't need to credit yahoo in posting the video on this site. He does't have to and he shouldn't have to... just needs to credit youtube (which happens when the video is embedded).
    Last edited by little_boyes_semin; April 6, 2010 at 4:23 PM.

Banned

I posted the following comment on his site, he'll probably just delete it cause he's a douche but I'll post it here for y'all to read:

You may not be 'technically' stealing anything since as you point out those 3rd party links don't belong to either of you, you're both just linking over to them. But you're certainly stealing his intellectual property, poaching off all his hard work and doing so without crediting him as your source (which it is clear that LWL is). IMO that's pretty lame so you should probably take the necessary steps to make it right or you're going to find a campaign against you. For example, what about that cute pic of Crosby and Fleury on your homepage? You didn't take that photo did you? Does that not belong to someone else? Or what about the various NHL team logos you have on your site? Do you have the expressed written consent of the league to use those?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_trap View Post
    It's legal for a reason.

If Dobber found a really cool youtube video on a puck daddy blog, does he really need to credit yahoo if he wants to post the video on this site? I don't think he should have to... just needs to credit youtube, which happens when the video is embedded.
    That's one of the things I'm thinking... excellent point. But what if it was 10 clips per day, and it saved me a good hour of looking them up myself? I wonder where the line should be drawn...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Jacques_trap View Post
    It's legal for a reason.

If Dobber found a really cool youtube video on a puck daddy blog, he obviously doesn't need to credit yahoo in posting the video on this site. He does't have to and he shouldn't have to... just needs to credit youtube (which happens when the video is embedded).
    It's still a huge douchebag move and he SHOULD credit LWL for the time and effort they put in to find their starters, much like it is so easy to just say "hey, I found this video on Puck Daddy" when you embed that video.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

ARGH! I'm reading through the comments on DFO and the people who are supporting him and so mindnumbingly stupid! How they can formulate coherent thoughts and just manage with regular life is beyond me. They're exactly the type of people that I wonder how they haven't died yet because they tried to use a hairdryer in the shower. Jeez, the stupidity is frustrating...
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    That's one of the things I'm thinking... excellent point. But what if it was 10 clips per day, and it saved me a good hour of looking them up myself? I wonder where the line should be drawn...
    exactly Dobber, follow that thought to its extreme...at the end of the day your guide is just a huge aggregation of stats, trends, and in depth analysis that is gleaned from a variety of sources but you'd be pretty bent outta shape if someone took all that effort you put into the analysis and crunching of all that data into your guide and started making it available as their own work no?

Super Moderator

Just cause something is "legal", is it "right"?

In Ontario, a 40 year old sleeping with a 16 year old is legal. Is it "right"?

I know that's a different end of the spectrum, but I just HATE HATE HATE the rebuttal of

"well, it's legal"
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Commerce is against morality. Morality is going to lose every time. - Robin Day

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by sentium View Post
    They are making money off of other people's work. That's stealing. Again, your attitude is the problem.
    Oh Im sorry Sentium. From now on I will agree with the popular opinion or else face verbal attacks/have people question my problematic attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Commerce is against morality. Morality is going to lose every time. - Robin Day
    Exactly.
    The League in London (20 Team Multi-Cat H2H $100 Dynasty League) - Season 11
    ... In memory of "The Net Detective"
    C Pinto kDach Hayton Roy / Lowry Bjugstad Blueger Carrick
    LW Lehkonen Knies kJohnson Greenway / Laferriere Reichel Luostarinen Kartye Grebyonkin Buchelnikov
    RW
    Quinn Joseph Roslovic Chinakhov / Kakko Glass Brink O'Connor Holmberg Berggren Tuomaala
    D
    Werenski Hronek Power Guhle McCabe Roy / Gudas Raddysh Pachal Evans Cormier
    G
    Swayman / Hill Mrazek Ivanov Kokko