Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Your questions...answered

Dobber Sports Pro

Hey Dobbs, absolutely love this site. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day to answer these questions.

My league and team info are in my signature. My top 2 centres are Malkin+Getzlaf, but as per my league rules I am only allowed to keep 1 C so I was thinking of trading one before my trade deadline for a wing upgrade on Perry (Ovechkin, Heatley, Kane, Nash, Gaborik).

As you can see, my head-to-head pool counts faceoffs and penalty minutes. Malkin is listed as a C but does not win faceoffs. I know your advice is always if you have one of the top 3 never trade them, but I'm contemplating trading away Malkin and keeping Getzlaf who I feel is quite the multi-category stud. If you could provide me your insight as to what you think the right move is that would be great.

Also - going into next year, at this point, which 2 D(Green+Phaneuf?) and 1 G(Luongo?) would you keep from my team?

Thanks!
    Last edited by PocketRockets05; January 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicleteur View Post
    That's a nice surprise! Thanks for doing this!

Quick question for you, which of these D (your top 3 if you can) you like the most for the rest of the season in a standard ROTO:

Tallinder, Huskin, RyWilson, Eaton, Leopold, JBoychuk, Pothier, JSchultz, Gunnarsson

Thanks in advance!

So which 20-point defenseman will get closer to 10 points in the final 35 games than the eight points the other guys get? hahaha Throw a dart! I like Schultz because of the plus/minus for sure. Beyond that, I would seriously just throw a dart at a piece of paper on my wall
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRules View Post
    Do you see Bailey staying on the Wing for Tavares for years to come? Or is this just something for now and Bailey will be the Line 2 Center for the Islanders?

How many points for Bailey the next few Seasons and then once he is in his prime?

Do you think Kovalchuk may end up on the Islanders?

Thanks.

Bailey will be the No. 2 center. I really believe that. And I see 55-60 points next year and then 67 to 72 from that point onward.

Kovalchuk - I would put a lot of money on NO

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hello Dobber,

Thanks for taking the time and doing this. I'm in a keeper pool and I'm rebuilding my team. We follow the NHL cap of 56.8M and would like to add some prospects to my team. I can pick 3 of the following. I have looked over you mid-season guide and the prospects list but would like your final opinion. Who would you pick given our points system is 1 point for a goal or assist and we also have plus minus. I would like to have 2 of the 3 full time next year and can be patient with the last if he would only make a team in 2 or 3 years.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Turris
    Eberle
    Couture
    Colborne
    Bowman
    MPS
    Tangradi
    Caputi
    Shirokov
    Grabner
    MakarovSkille

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop Chop Chicken View Post
    Will Marty Brodeur's production decrease over the next few years, or do you see him putting up 40-50 wins and 5-10 shutouts for at least the next two seasons?

What point production do you expect out of the following for the next 2-3 seasons?

Dan Boyle
    Jumbo Joe
    Getzlaf
    Marian Hossa
    Marty St. Louis.
    Yes, definitely Brodeur has two more great seasons like that in him.

Boyle, Joe, Ryan - all status quo. What you see now you'll see for another three years. Boyle will slow down the year after that.
    Hossa - he'll be a 100-point guy in Chicago next year I feel. He'll get to 100 twice in three years, with the other year having some injuries.
    St. Louis - seems to have fallen into that 80-85 niche so expect that for two more years and then a decline to 75

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by byzmaster View Post
    Hi Dobbs,

My D is a serious sorespot on my full keeper team. I'm currently sporting Green, Gonchar, Niskanen, Russell, Picard, Carkner.

I have an opportunity to pick up Giordano. How much love do you have for each of the latter four guys?

Thanks in advance!
    For Niksanen and Russell the wait is long (another three years). For Picard and Carkner, I don't see anything there - take Giordano over them

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
    1) Straight up, one-year league. Would you trade away Brenden Morrow (LW) to receive Steve Downie (RW)?

2) Would you rather own JP Dumont (RW) or Michael Frolik (C, RW) for the rest of the year in a one-year?

Tough questions and I could go oh-for-two here, so what I'll do is give you my immediate gut instinct. My knee-jerk response:

1. No.
    2. Frolik

When I give it some thought, my answers waver... so I'll just gave you first thing that comes to mind...

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Thanks for doing this, Dobber. I am in desperate need of a team audit. I've struggled with my keeper team for a few years in a row now, always finishing near the bottom of the standings.
    It is a 12 team, H2H, salary cap league using actual NHL salaries. Points-only. We set our rosters weekly. Below is my roster listed first, followed by the rosters of the top 2 teams in the league (to give you something to gauge by).

What should I try to do in the off-season to improve my team and hopefully challenge for the championship soon. I am getting tired of finishing low in the standings year in and year out.

My team:

Heatley
    Hossa
    Spezza
    Vanek
    Giroux
    Peverley

Letang
    Kuba
    Niedermayer
    I. White

Quick
    C. Mason

Team in 1st:

Ovechkin
    Semin
    M. Richards
    Toews
    St. Louis
    Stamkos

Campbell
    Pronger
    Edler
    Visnovsky

Fleury
    Hiller

Team in 2nd:

Gaborik
    Kovalchuk
    Kopitar
    Tavares
    Backstrom
    Kessel

Phaneuf
    Green
    Goligoski
    Tyutin

Nabokov
    Lundqvist

Points only? What cats?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by jager19 View Post
    WHO would Dobber chose??? I am still trying to IMPROVE my Keepers, as I have a couple offers out there for OV and Kovalchuk...But I think I am going to attempt to compete for the top (even though I am behind 20 roto points).

Due to my large selection of (2nd round quality) FORWARD KEEPERS, who would you KEEP as my BEST 3 choices for next year???

E.Malkin(C)
    D.Sedin(LW)
    H.Sedin(C)
    P.Datsyuk(C)
    M.Hossa(RW)
    E.Staal(C)

Team and league info are in the signature below...I think there could be a few different options...

Thanks
    Malkin, Daniel and Hossa. No other options. Wingers are hardest to fill so you have to keep your wingers. Malkin is one of the Big 3, so you'd have to be thrown in the insane asylum if you don't protect him and I don't care if Henrik gets 150 points this year and Malkin breaks both legs tomorrow.
    Therefore, your three keepers are easy

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    So which 20-point defenseman will get closer to 10 points in the final 35 games than the eight points the other guys get? hahaha Throw a dart! I like Schultz because of the plus/minus for sure. Beyond that, I would seriously just throw a dart at a piece of paper on my wall
    Haha!!! I know it's slim picking, but that's life in a deep league! Thanks D!

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by tml4everpz View Post
    hey dobber a quick trade question:

kopitar (or getz) and sharp for malkin in a one year league?

FA looks like this: perron, tanguay, wheeler, carcillo, latendresse, JVR, avery, brouwer, chimera, bergfors (on waivers), j.jokinen, and upshall

Thanks!
    Kopitar and Sharp for Malkin sounds good to me

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyislife View Post
    Dobbs,

Two questions:

1) Is Steve Mason going to be the real deal; or was last season just the epitome of a decent goalie being in the right system at the right time. Afterall, Leclaire put up eerily similar numbers in 2007/08(24-17-6, 2.25GAA, .919sv% ans 9SO)

2) Tyler Myers: never put up big numbers in the WHL; so where did this sudden explosion of offense come from?

thanks!!

The difference is, I stopped liking Leclaire after several years of crap, and then he suddenly shone in that one big year. Whereas Mason didn't give me several years of crap so I never soured on him. I think he's the real deal. This is one bad year.

2. Opportunity - he's never run a good power play before and the Sabres are desperate to have someone do that. His numbers surprise me too.

Dobber Sports Guru

Your thoughts on Drew Stafford for the rest of the season and for next year? Hasn't yet taken a step forward this year but do you see him breaking out next year (which is his 4th full season in NHL). Or do you see him ending up as just a 40-50 point player?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by skostoff View Post
    looking to nab Malkin (who isn't). Who from my squad should it take to get him. my initial offer (which he didn't take ) was Hemsky, Kaberle, Dubinsky and a 3rd rounder for Malkin, coburn.

Malkin's team is definitly not competing this year, which is why Hemsky was offered.

My team, and cats are in my Sig, and assume that my quality wingers amd D are significant upgrades over the other teams ( which is not very deep )

Thanks Dobber for takin the time

SK
    C; Dubinsky, Roy, Gagner
    LW, Heatley, Prospal, Flash
    RW, Hemsky, Frolik, Kessel
    D, Letang, Boyle, Niskanen, Kaberle, Gilbert
    G, Bryzgalov, Leclaire, Dipietro, neuvirth

Farm: Elliot, Eller

You don't have the horses in my books. Unless you start talking Heatley, I don't think you can get him. If he'll take Heatley and Dubinsky for Malkin, then I would do that. You'll be better for next year.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm torn between a few goalies here for the rest of the season, 2 points for a win and 3 more for a shutout.

1. Emery
    2. Varlamov
    3. Backstrom
    4. Howard
    5.Niemi
    Last edited by mario_magic66; January 18, 2010 at 1:13 PM.