Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Year Long Hockey League idea

Administrator

I'd suggest that if we are really into this thing that we compile a list of those involved and elect a commissioner. Someone who is good at delegating and can give this thing direction. Then either take a vote or just decide on the events to include as well as a scoring specific scoring system (of course points only, but i mean weighting of each event). Then we can coordinate the setup.

On a side note. If it is points only I'd like to see one award go to the person who compiles the most aggregate points in all the leagues.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm absolutely convinced that Chinny could pull off the stats collection portion of this based on what I have seen from his work with the Dobber Leagues. If he would be game to take that on then a big part of the puzzle would be taken care of.

Let me read over all of the thoughts here and see if I can write down a skeleton sort of framework for what could work and then post it here in the next couple days. We can get some feedback from there.

I'm pretty high on this idea because it has lots of drafting (which I love!) and the key would be a great community of people who are in it for fun and to test their hockey knowledge rather than their ability to manipulate statistics (which I can do when needed as well, but this would have a different focus)

Dobber Sports Padawan

This is a great idea.

Lots of drafting and it would be make great tournaments like the WJC and the Memorial Cup that much more exciting.

Dobber Sports Stud

without a doubt if the stats are on the internet the collection and sorting of said stats is basic, that is of zero worry to me.

It seems like this is picking up steam again, what is needed is suggestions as to what leagues/tournys guys would want, how to draft, roster sizes, how to award points and how to do the draft along with other things.

The more suggestions that we can get here the better we can bring the league together!

Also with it needing to be completely offline stat tracking there is no limit to the number of guys involved, yes some numbers will work better but that is open to discussion as well.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolgeek View Post
    I think we'd still be OK... plenty of fodder, both in terms of leagues and tournaments:
    • NHL regular season (+playoffs)
    • AHL regular season (+playoffs)
    • KHL regular season (+playoffs)
    • Eliteserian regular season (+playoffs)
    • Spengler Cup
    • World juniors
    • World championships
    • Olympics (ever 4 years!)
    • World cup (if it ever comes back!)
    • Memorial cup
    I'm sure there are more...
    I just have to weigh in now. I've been working on a little something VERRRRRY similar to this, but it was a little crazy. I called it "The World's Most Politically Incorrect Hockey Pool" and it included using players and stats from several leagues mentioned here. It also included mandatory Band-Aid Boy (points for games missed) and Goon (obviously penalty minute bonus) positions as well as minimum roster space reserved for different nationalities and even one visible minority space. It did not include all the tournaments, however, I do like the idea.

I was designing it to be a full keeper so that guys like Filatov, Radulov, Hudler, etc could still be used no matter which league they ended up playing in.

The concept being bandied around here and the level of interest, as well as the quality of the guys interested has me thinking I should get on board and make some suggestions.

I would suggest that for tournaments and the other non-NHL leagues, that we draft say 10 or 12 players each and count 8 or 10 players (or some variation of this). Makes it easier for the league statistician. Either no free agent pick ups or very limited, like say one for the season. Or maybe a mid-season'ish redraft of some sort (5 round or so, but nothing too large).

I will start thinking of how to weigh all the tourney's and leagues. Obviously the NHL league and playoffs should carry the most weight.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just throwing some ideas out there:

NHL - Straight points. Draft 25 players, no position requirements, top 20 count. Mid-season redraft - protect 15, draft 10. Playoffs - Protect 10, draft 10.

Other Leagues/Tourney's - Straight points, no positional requirements. Draft 10, top 7 or 8 count. For AHL, KHL and SEL, allow for 2 or 3 pick ups throughout the year.

Maybe instead of awarding points for each league victory, maybe we make each league count as a roto category itself. By that I mean if Chinny finishes first in the NHL regular season, doulos finishes second and I finish third; assuming their are ten teams total, Chinny would get 10 points, doulos would get 9 and I would get 8 points, and so on. We could do that for however many different "pools" we have.

Administrator

Here's an idea that I stumbled upon, the ultimate champion is based on who gets the most points total. Little rewards of course for winning each individual event but ultimately each one counts as only a percentage of the total points. We can decide how many players to take in each different event to decide which events deserve the most weight.

Dobber Sports Stud

oohh shhiit i really like what the commish just said. a roto style for all the leagues!!!
    the comish:

Maybe instead of awarding points for each league victory, maybe we make each league count as a roto category itself. By that I mean if Chinny finishes first in the NHL regular season, doulos finishes second and I finish third; assuming their are ten teams total, Chinny would get 10 points, doulos would get 9 and I would get 8 points, and so on. We could do that for however many different "pools" we have.
    12 teams H2H Yahoo
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG... W SV%

2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1utility 2g 3bench

Crosby Berglund
    Hartnell Perron
    Wheeler Vrbata
    Karlsson, Giordano, Green, Krug
    Ryan Miller, Fleury

Nyquist, Ennis, Soderberg, Hemsky

Letang IR

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by ricknashsucks View Post
    oohh shhiit i really like what the commish just said.

ME TOO! I really like what comish is saying as well!

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish
    Chinny finishes first

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah the roto style scoring idea is exactly what I was thinking when I first was pondering this.

I hesitate to have this be a keeper league though as I could see people wanting to join later on if it takes off.

Thoughts?

Administrator

Yeah I'm not sure about the appeal of this as a keeper. I think it has more value in a repeating one year format. One big reason for having it a one year style, the WJC. How can we honestly incorporate this into the league and also have the league be a keeper? We start drafting players when they are 16? I think that would be a little much.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Definitely not a keeper league. Way too complicated and limiting as well in terms of attracting new people.

A couple of other things that crossed my mind:

The NHL regular season and playoffs should have twice the value of the other leagues/tourney's. By that I mean if we have 10 teams and the first place team gets 10 points for a league/tournament win, then the NHL regular season and the playoffs should each be worth 20 points (20, 18, 16, etc, down to 2 points for the last place team).

If we only have 10 or less teams in this pool, for some of the tournaments (WJHC, WHC, Spengler?) we should have to draft two players per team, but not be allowed to take the same player (draft not pick if you know what I mean). Can you imagine taking the 20th player on Switzerland or Slovenia? Any more than 10 teams, we'd have to do it differently.

Gotta get back to work!

Dobber Sports Stud

This is really starting to get legs, when i find some time i am going to start trying to track down the stats for some of the other leagues to see if there might be any issues.

I also agree that it should be a 1 year only

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Yeah the roto style scoring idea is exactly what I was thinking when I first was pondering this.

I hesitate to have this be a keeper league though as I could see people wanting to join later on if it takes off.

Thoughts?
    Definitely not a keeper - easy enough to replicate as another league or two if it becomes a hot seller - just need statisticians than can use the model.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah good to hear that no one else likes that idea as well.

Just need to find some time to nail down some details and then see what we've got left standing!