Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: patrice bergeron...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default patrice bergeron...

Sorry, not trying to sound like a jerk, I realise I might be coming across that way and that isn\'t my intent.

Here\'s an interesting article by ESPN that mentions two really bad hits from behind in the 90s alone.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...amp;id=3078202

Dobber Sports Ace

doulos, i think you and i are closer in opinion then we both may think. i\'m not one of those people calling for the abolishment of all hitting in hockey. if that ever happens, i might as well watch bowling.

i just think that as far as hitting from behind goes, that it happens more frequently nowadays than it has in the past. i know that there have been some ugly incidents in the past, as you referenced, but i just think that hits from behind are more commonplace.

you are definitely on to something with the size of the players and the advancement of the equipment, but i think there\'s something more. i think it has to do with respecting your fellow player and just not hitting them when their back is towards you. as i said before, and i don\'t think the jones hit was malicious and in no way did he intend on injuring bergeron, but accidents are bound to happen. this i think was one of them, but it\'s just happening too frequently.

i think part of it, and as much as i hate agreeing with don cherry, but they have got to get rid of the instigator rule in order to protect young, skilled superstars like bergeron. i think if there was an accountability where a player knew that there was going to be consequences for their actions, it actually might clean things up a bit. as it stands right now, the whole point of the instigator is a joke because it\'s there to reduce the amount of fighting in the game, which is a PART of the game, when fighting is actually UP this year by something ridiculous like 52%, so what\'s the point.

anyways, i kind of got away from things there. i understand what you\'re saying and trust me, i remember watching that draper hit and it sickened me, but i just think that hits from behind are more prevalent nowadays.

end of rant.
    13 team yahoo roto league keep 17/25
    G,A,P,PPP,PIM,SHP,SOG,FW,W,GAA,SV%,SHO

c-tavares, krejci, gourde, lowry, czarnik, zacha
    lw-lehkonen, vesey, r.smith, hinostroza, heinen
    rw-zuccarello, duclair, sheary, d.brown, nichushkin
    d-letang, krug, gostisbehere, doughty, lindell, slavin, cholowski
    g-fleury, holtby, hutton
    ir-pacioretty, grzelcyk
    farm-batherson, farabee, jokiharju, kaprizov, hawryluk, n.roy, terry, t.thompson, tufte, vesalainen, walman, c.white, bracco

Dobber Sports Ace

the biggest part of the problem is the speed of todays game. Everyone is fast and turns on a dime, combine that with the way players cylcle and shield the pucks with there bodies the end reslut is hits like this both players need to take responsiblity for this hit. To ask a DMan to let up takes out a huge physical part of the game, at the same time forwards need to be aware of their surroundings as well. sometimes there should be penalities on these hits but all too often its the case of a perfect storm of both players actions that causes these incidents. With the speed of todays game i don\'t see them ending any time soon either, which is unfortunate, someone will end up in a wheelchair.
    14 team keeper league (keep 15 plus 3 prospects)
    19 active, 8 bench, 2 prospects less than 40 NHL games. Play h2h with postions 3c, 3lw, 3rw, (3 felx forwards) 5d, 2g

C-E.Stall, Plekanac,Thorton, Turris, Little
    LW_Elias, Heatley (RW), Pacioretty
    RW-Erat
    D-Keith, Yandle, OEL, Giordano
    G- Rinne, Nabakov

(Farm) Beau Bennett, Jaden Schwartz

Follow me on Twitter @HardyintheWack

(draft in process)