Thread: Steve Mason is he okay?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Steve Mason is he okay?

I am wondering if he is playing with an injury. I know he has a bad back and had knee surgey in juniors. I just have a feeling something is not right. I held him over in my league this past year. I could have held over the likes of Miller, Price, Thomas. I am hoping I made the right choice. I kept thinking that the Blue Jackets are a defensive team with Hitchcock as coach. So Mason would have less shots on goal. Well that is not the case this year. What do you guys think is the problem?

Banned

I think he was crying last night after facing 48 shots and stopping 45 but STILL not getting the win...but other than that he's physically OK

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by redsono93 View Post
    I am wondering if he is playing with an injury. I know he has a bad back and had knee surgey in juniors. I just have a feeling something is not right. I held him over in my league this past year. I could have held over the likes of Miller, Price, Thomas. I am hoping I made the right choice. I kept thinking that the Blue Jackets are a defensive team with Hitchcock as coach. So Mason would have less shots on goal. Well that is not the case this year. What do you guys think is the problem?
    The guy won the Calder Trophy last year. He's probably getting all kinds of action off the ice if you know what I mean. As soon as has his fill of puck bunnies, he'll be fine.

Seriously, he had a minor issue with back spasms, but I think a lot of it was mental. Sure, Columbus was missing Hejda and Commodore for a while, but they're back now. He started off the season fine, and has played very well the last two games and appears to have his confidence back and looks much sharper.

Although he has been reunited with Dave Rook, his former junior goalie coach, I think that they might have been trying to smooth something out in Mason's game, sort of like when a streaky golfer who's scoring well but tinkers with his swing to develop more consistency. Short term pain for long-term gain.

As good as Mason was last year, he had a few rough patches. Some of it was because of mono, but there is always a learning process for young goalie in the NHL. Shooters get to know your tendencies and you have to make adjustments to plug up those holes.

As I've said before, Mason has tremendous athletic ability, a great attitude, great size and has a long leash in Columbus. Garon is pushing him and providing him with great competition and a great mentor, and I think Mason will be fine.

Be patient, especially if you're in a keeper league.
    Last edited by Scribe; November 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM.
    Chatham Maroons
    21-team keeper league
    (G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHP, PIM ratio, MP and Goalie combo (Wins, OTL, SvPct, GAA)
    Forwards: Backstrom, Perry, Eriksson, J. Jokinen, Henrique, Sobotka, Marner, Barbashev, Connor, Labanc, Connolly, Petan, Sutter. Farm: C. White, Comtois, M. Jones, Villardi, Roslovic, Gurianov, Hayton, B. Tkachuk, Clarke, Rees.
    Defence: Jones, Leddy, Martinez, Beaulieu, Moore, Antipin. Farm: Bean, Bear, Vukojevic.
    Goalies: Rinne, Jones; Farm: Husso, Blackwood, Knight.

On Twitter: @HockeyScribe

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for the advice!!