Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Rogers/Bell/DIRECTV to the Mafia

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

The thing you have to understand with Rogers is that they have so many Customer Service Reps that your experience with calling customer support will 100% be dependant on who answers your call at the other end. The best practice I've found is once you realize your dealing with a dick, just tell them you have to think about it hang up and call back to try somebody else.

Once you reach a rep that you have a feeling will be able to help you, the most important thing is to be nice, and to have reasonable demands and clear logical arguments. I have experienced some of the things you mentioned (like when I upgraded one phone contract, my other one also got extended). So I called in, explained what happened, told them that there would be no way for me to logically agree to extending my contract with no incentive in return (no phone upgrade on that line) and they reset my expiry date to the old one for me just like that.

On the topic about gouging you with prices; yes they do run a firm in an oligopoly and yes they may have outrageous prices, but if you're not willing to pay them then don't deal with them. People seem to forget that you can negotiate your contract (even after you sign it, which is an absurd policy for rogers). Just have clear knowledge of which features you need and don't need and have a reasonable price in mind, and a reasonable competitors offer to compare to. When they ask you what they need to do to keep you with Rogers just say I need this, that, and that and I'm looking for something in this price range and 50% of the time you'll hear "Ok, we can do that for you", if not say you need to think about it and call back. The reps themselves don't get rich off of ripping you off, just treat them nicely and you will receive the same treatment in return.
    16 Team Salary Keeper (62M Maximum)
    Weekly Roster Changes

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,PPG,PPA,SHP,FOW,SOG,W,GAA,SV%,SHO

C - Malkin, Little BN - Josefson
    LW - Ovechkin, Sharp
    RW - Versteeg, Pacioretty BN - Stewart
    D - Byfuglien, Keith, Kronwall, Orlov
    Util - Hall
    G - Bryzgalov, Bobrovski
    Farm - Bernier, Neuvirth, Tarasenko, Ryan Murphy, McBain, P Larsen

Dobber Sports Expert

wow, I come back to posting on the forum and dutch is still a huge *******. it's nice to know some things in life never change.

Banned

Dumb statement. If the option didn't exist, I wouldn't have signed the original contract.
    so you sign a contract knowing that you are gonna get out of it, that's even dumber than I initially thought... So knowing you got the option, once you assume that option you are gonna complain about the fees you are charged, even though you knew that was gonna happen...

Cancellation fee was $280. I don't have to pay remaining monthly bills. The percentage of the portion of remaining bills that I have to pay is about $100. And this part of the contract I did not sign, nor was I informed about.
    I understand you don't have to pay remaining bills, as I meant you "would" have to in my original sentence..

Didn't read the entire thread, eh?
    nope, your initial post was ridiculous, so i didn't bother reading other comments first. Although, now I have read it, the guy who works at bell (can't remember your name as I type this) actually has some solid points.

Yes. Cave.
    that explains a lot... Welcome to the world I guess

Preaching to the choir. I'm not sure where our disconnect is...maybe you started reading this thread, went over to the Dora the Explorer site and read up on some of her crazy adventures with her friend boots, and then came back to this thread for a few more sentences...then you looked at some flyers from the Brick...then finished off this thread and got everything mixed up.
    no not really, just responding to your complaining thread, and trying to explain something to you with some examples. Nothing more, nothing less. Guess I need to use dora the explorer examples to get through to some people... I actually thought there were some intelligent people on these boards...

Wrong. You are way off. I thought you read my last Rogers rant about three weeks ago? It's in the "other" forum. Rogers customer service said this to me, and I quote her exact words: "Wow - thank you so much for being so nice to me. With everything you've been through, you have been speaking to me so calmly. I just want you to know that I appreciate that."
    To assume makes...well, you know. I can see how you'd jump to that conclusion. I was in retail and I would have jumped to the same conclusions reading this thread after dealing with all the dummy customers. I really want to assure you that the contract was explained to me, and I was a very calm and polite gentleman throughout this process. The contract in question was one thrust upon me without my being notified, over the phone, 19 months into the contract that I did sign.
    if you change your plan you automatically renew your term ( now I can't remember from the top of my head here tonight if that's if you upgrade or downgrade, but that's not hte point), and the person over the phone most likely would have told you. Now you can tell me that she never, but that is something that is not proveable at this point.

And if you were 19 months in your contract, and it would have renewed for 3 years from that day. That would have only extended your original contract by 19 months rather than 36.

17 months. Not a "couple". And not annoyed at Rogers, but at my wife. Rogers was very good to change it.
    maybe you should have a rant about your wife, instead of Rogers then.. Or maybe "cancel" her if she doesn't follow her "contract"

Now personally, I don't really care what you have done with Rogers because you obviously have a very clear standpoint towards them. I just didn't like the way you adressed your point.

So with that, I wish you like with your next company, and I can't wait to see the rant about these "small local guys"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by teddy369 View Post
    The thing you have to understand with Rogers is that they have so many Customer Service Reps that your experience with calling customer support will 100% be dependant on who answers your call at the other end. The best practice I've found is once you realize your dealing with a dick, just tell them you have to think about it hang up and call back to try somebody else.

Once you reach a rep that you have a feeling will be able to help you, the most important thing is to be nice, and to have reasonable demands and clear logical arguments. I have experienced some of the things you mentioned (like when I upgraded one phone contract, my other one also got extended). So I called in, explained what happened, told them that there would be no way for me to logically agree to extending my contract with no incentive in return (no phone upgrade on that line) and they reset my expiry date to the old one for me just like that.

On the topic about gouging you with prices; yes they do run a firm in an oligopoly and yes they may have outrageous prices, but if you're not willing to pay them then don't deal with them. People seem to forget that you can negotiate your contract (even after you sign it, which is an absurd policy for rogers). Just have clear knowledge of which features you need and don't need and have a reasonable price in mind, and a reasonable competitors offer to compare to. When they ask you what they need to do to keep you with Rogers just say I need this, that, and that and I'm looking for something in this price range and 50% of the time you'll hear "Ok, we can do that for you", if not say you need to think about it and call back. The reps themselves don't get rich off of ripping you off, just treat them nicely and you will receive the same treatment in return.
    exactly, well put

Banned

wtf Dutch? Did someone shit in your wheaties today? I realize you're on the other side of the table when it comes to this discussion and have to deal with irate, ignorant people all the time but I dont think you're giving Dobber and the rest of us enough credit. The new business model for these companies is one of non-disclosure and taking advantage wherever they can. They prey on the customer in many ways:

1)they count on the fact that we are all busy, have active lives and don't have the time to read an 8 page phone bill every month to see if anything has been changed or is not correct
    2)they intentionally make little errors in billing counting on the fact that the majority of people wont notice, or if they do, they won't fight it because its not worth the battle. How many times have you been overcharged a buck or two on a bill, is it worth spending 30 mins on the phone with 2 or 3 different reps, waiting on hold, getting disconnected, calling back, having to explain the story all over again etc etc? **** no, most of us value our time more than that, but if you add all those little 'mistakes' over millions of customers and thats a huge chunk of change
    3)they make the bills as cryptic as possible, half the charges and taxes no one has a clue what they even are, even most reps when pressed cant give you a straight answer.
    4)I've had a half dozen different cell phone contracts in my day...they ALWAYS add in some bullshit that they do NOT tell you about when you sign up. I always go into the store, I sit down with someone and make sure everything is what I want but there's always some bullshit extra they add on that you never ask for. Or alternately they'll mandate that to get the phone/plan you want you have to sign up for some bullshit service for 3 months, (they'll even give it to you for free usually) but again counting on the fact that you'll forget to cancel it and they can keep tacking it onto your bill.

Thru and thru business has become shady and predatory to consumers, this is not just cell phone companies or cable companies, they just tend to be the worst offenders

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    and actual cost to produce said device is about $1.29
    the problem with the cell phone companies is that they haven't learned a goddamn thing from all the other greedy corporations that went before them and are now feeling the pain (auto companies, record labels, etc). The same pattern is going to play out, an alternative will com along and the people will flock in droves and leave the greedy providers high, dry and shit outta luck...at least thats my daydream

No it does not cost $1.29 to produce said device. And even if it did, no one is forcing you to buy it. Supply and demand, business 101. Cell phones are relatively new. What did we ever do in the 80's when we didn't have instant messaging and cell phones singed into our brains. Cell Phone companies can charge whatever they want for cell phones, they have spent (I'm not saying they are poor companies mind you) billions getting their network as good as can be. So if they want to charge $700.00 for a cell phone and you pay it, then it is your fault, not theirs for wanting to make money.

And the device may be $1.29, or whatever ridiculous figure you want to use, but there are literally dozens of costs that the public never takes into consideration before a phone hits the market. Your post was one of the most ill informed posts I've read about cell phone companies. Do you think the second the phone comes off the assembly line that it goes right to the Bell World Store in Sqaure One? It doesn't cost anything to ship it, advertise it, test it, sell it, rent the space it sells in, pay insurance, market it, pay people to sell it, research the future of that product and so on? Come on, don't be so naive.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeah yeah we get it. You work for Bell. You defend any actions justifying the making of money as fine for cell phone companies.

I'm not buying it. McGoo is right that at some point some company will figure out a model that doesn't involve virtually hidden charges, hoops of flames that must be diverolled through to change your plan and random sneaky costs that no average person would ever think of suddenly show up on their cell phone bill (oh but they were explained on page 17, paragraph 4, in the subscript under "Obscure rules we know you won't read")

When that company figures out that model those other cell phone companies will be forced to adapt.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Whatever doulos. I don't defend them unconditionally. But consumers have to take some clupability when it comes to understanding what they are getting themselves into. And here's a tip, buy your phone at full price and don't ask for any discounts on your plan. That way you will never be in a contract.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    10 rounds of drafting

I...am your father.

Baumer - he was joking. He is well aware that the cost is not $1.29, he was just making a point. C'mon you have to lighten up, much of this thread is tongue-in-cheek and you and Dutch are correcting everybody.

If a device retails for $400, that means that the retailer picked it up for about $225. So RIM in this case would make that money. The parts probably indeed cost close to $1.29, but there is also labor, marketing, distribution and overhead that would push this thing up to about $100-$150. So RIM will make $75 on it, and Bell or Rogers would make $175 minus their own distributioin, marketing, labor and overhead. When Bell or Rogers offer this for $100 with a three-year plan, they are taking a small haircut in exchange for the contract. How did I do? Sucked the funny out of it...but at least it's more factual, right? LOL And we're all about facts here and not having fun.

As I told Dutch in a private message (and he understands my side now, we are good and alligned), in India and China they don't have contracts. The populace does not believe in them. So the iPhones need to be sold at $700 (i.e. full pop). That's brilliant - going forward, when it comes to contracts, I will be a Chinese Indian.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

My point with all of this is that big corporations are greedy and will try to wring every dollar out of a customer with fees and price increases. That was the joke.

I'm done with Bell - they lost me in the year 2000, so since then they lost about 108 months times $250. Now I'm done with Rogers and will happily help the little guy.

I really cringe when I see a very successful company increase their profits from $100 million to $120 million for the quarter...and I read this about 12 weeks after they charged me an extra $2.50 on my monthly bill. (this is just an example using numbers I pulled out of the air, please don't break out the company financial report and give me the exact number)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Baumer - he was joking. He is well aware that the cost is not $1.29, he was just making a point. C'mon you have to lighten up, much of this thread is tongue-in-cheek and you and Dutch are correcting everybody.

If a device retails for $400, that means that the retailer picked it up for about $225. So RIM in this case would make that money. The parts probably indeed cost close to $1.29, but there is also labor, marketing, distribution and overhead that would push this thing up to about $100-$150. So RIM will make $75 on it, and Bell or Rogers would make $175 minus their own distributioin, marketing, labor and overhead. When Bell or Rogers offer this for $100 with a three-year plan, they are taking a small haircut in exchange for the contract. How did I do? Sucked the funny out of it...but at least it's more factual, right? LOL And we're all about facts here and not having fun.

As I told Dutch in a private message (and he understands my side now, we are good and alligned), in India and China they don't have contracts. The populace does not believe in them. So the iPhones need to be sold at $700 (i.e. full pop). That's brilliant - going forward, when it comes to contracts, I will be a Chinese Indian.

HAHAHA....Touche.
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    Whatever doulos. I don't defend them unconditionally. But consumers have to take some clupability when it comes to understanding what they are getting themselves into. And here's a tip, buy your phone at full price and don't ask for any discounts on your plan. That way you will never be in a contract.
    i worked for bell too - about 10 years ago - and I would never defend the company. one of the most poorly run organizations that I have ever been part of.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    i worked for bell too - about 10 years ago - and I would never defend the company. one of the most poorly run organizations that I have ever been part of.
    You have to realize I am not defending Bell or commenting on how well or poorly they are run. I'm simply stating that a contract is something that can be avoided at all times by just buying your phone outright.
    10 rounds of drafting

Banned

Dobber Sports Master

anyone see the pissing match ''local t.v'' commercials

local t.v stating they need help from the likes of bell/shaw/rogers who apparently pay them nothing to air the ''local tv'' channels

while of course they counter with the ''local tv'' made 400+ million so why should we help them from the bell/rogers corner

guess who will lose this pissing match ?
    my guess -you , the consumer who will see an additional charge on sattellite/cable bill