Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Rogers/Bell/DIRECTV to the Mafia

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    If anyone has any qustions about their cell phone package, ask me and I'll do my best to get you the answer.

Also, there is a website called howardforums.com. This is an excellent site that is filled with all kinds of experts in cell phones and plans and so on.
    Yes - should have mentioned this. I'll pay $2000 for a phone before I sign even a two-day contract. The phone I got - for free (whoops) would probably retail today for about 10 bucks. At the time, it may have retailed for $90. Lesson learned.

But I got no phone at all when they "re-signed" my contract for two years for me when I changed my plan. And I have a feeling that had I bought the phone at full pop and changed my plan, I would have at that point been arbitrarily put on a contract. Granted, the reps would have to tell me this - but often they don't. The Mafia, however, would tell me this.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Genius

Back to Dobber's original theme. Perhaps, my messages are clear. I agree, the Mafia would be easier and clearer to deal with.

Dobber Sports Expert

Guys, I work for Bell and if I could all of you one piece of advice, it would be this:

If you don't want to go on a cell phone contract, then simply buy your phone at full price. I think i can speak from both sides of the coin, the Mafia side and the customer side. A lot of the bitching and complaining about contracts is because customers want the best of both worlds. You want a free phone and you want no contract. From a business stand point that doesn't make any sense. If you want to pay market value for a Blackberry, be prepared to fork over $700.00. That is why there are contracts. You can get your precious BB for about $100.00 but you are committed to The Mafia for 3 years.
    retail on a blackberry curve 8900, unlocked, is only 370 bucks. Not 700.

http://www.buy.com/prod/blackberry-c...210991578.html

Dobber Sports Star

Watch your Hockey games online they are free, you already are paying for broadband

Dobber Sports Ace

Here's the website for a new satellite company a relative of mine is starting up. I love the idea, better quality for a better price, enough of this Rogers/Bell garbage. Check out the site guys, there is a link to the CRTC website if you feel like showing some support of the idea. It's time to end the blood-sucking oligopoly.

www.freehdcanada.ca
    20 team h2h (multi-cat) dynasty league, 1st season
    C: Getzlaf, MacKinnon, Eakin, Backlund, Schroeder, Bjugstad, Miller, Gaustad
    LW: M Foligno, Wilson, Tatar, Bailey, Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Voracek, Frattin, Coyle, Clutterbuck
    D: Barrie, Del Zotto, Brodin, Vatanen, Gudas, Donovan, Murphy, Hamonic, Grossmann, Michalek
    G: Pavelec, Schneider, Enroth

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by repenttokyo View Post
    retail on a blackberry curve 8900, unlocked, is only 370 bucks. Not 700.

http://www.buy.com/prod/blackberry-c...210991578.html
    That is with a data discount of about $300.00. Retail at Bell Mobility for a Curve izx $549.00.
    Last edited by baumer; November 4, 2009 at 4:40 PM.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Expert

That is with a data discount of about $300.00. Retail at Bell Mobility for a Curve izx $549.00.
    where do you see data discount on that page? I can't find it. It's just the buy.com price discount off of list price.

several more inexpensive blackberrys:

http://www.buy.com/prod/blackberry-c...210461451.html

http://www.buy.com/prod/curve-8320-s...211061731.html

Dobber Sports Veteran

Every cell phone company in Canada has their own prices for their own devices. If you want to get a Blackberry from a secondary source, you can do so, but then you run into risk of things like the warranty not being valid, or it being locked and then having to unlock it with said company.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thank you for posting this. I have been looking for a site like this.
    10 rounds of drafting

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Good Alternatives

Yes, Mafia is the best way to describe it. However, there are good alternatives.. I also have Teksavvy, excellent company with fantastic local customer support. Cell phones are expensive whatever way you look at it. Go with an alternative home phone (VoIP), I use CampusCom (good Ottawa based phone company, saves you tons of money) and pay as you go cell.. stop using them so much (unless you get on to Wifi VoIP). There is a TV alternative called Look TV based in Montreal.. but I've never used it? My landlady wouldn't let me install the antenna (cheaper though)...

Dobber Sports Novice

A guiding principle for the U.S. automotive industry started in the 70s:

"We are in the business of making money, not cars"

Shoot...that applies to 99% of all corporations, you can disregard industry!
    1 Yr Roto G (1) A (1) +/- (.5) PPP (.5) PIM (.5) GWG (2) | Goalie: W (1) SHO (1)
    2 C | 2 LW | 2 RW | 4 D | 1 Util | 2 G | 1 IR

C: Kopitar, Spezza, Kaner (C,RW)
    LW: Burrows, Clowe (LW,RW), McDonald (C,LW)
    RW: Heatley, Voracek, Okposo, Clarkson
    D: Carlson, Shattenkirk, Carle, Quincey, Wisniewski
    G: Fleury, Rask, Dubnyk

Dobber Sports Ninja

There are many companies that do a fantastic job of making money without screwing people over. The world 'can' operate on win-win.

Banned

and actual cost to produce said device is about $1.29
    the problem with the cell phone companies is that they haven't learned a goddamn thing from all the other greedy corporations that went before them and are now feeling the pain (auto companies, record labels, etc). The same pattern is going to play out, an alternative will com along and the people will flock in droves and leave the greedy providers high, dry and shit outta luck...at least thats my daydream

Banned

Dobber, you may now about hockey, but in regards to this you look like a big fool

what the hell do you think a contract means? Exactly just that, you should consider yourself lucky to have the option to buy out a contract, because sometimes that option doesn't exist...

the 400 dollar cancellation fee is nothing compared to the remaining monthly bills you have to pay.

You want to get the newest phones and technology for the lowest prices. Well to do so, you are gonna have to sign a contract. For the same reason, you can't finance a mercedes for a good price without them gonna hunt you down if you don't pay your monthly charges.

I wonder if you have lived in a cave the last decades, and since the move last week you finally realize how it all works? The contracts, and frustrated customers is not only with the wireless industry, it's with any company that deals with contracts (for example, furniture stores, credit card companies)

You are probably one of those customers that I get in the store (i work for rogers) that just wants to get his shit, sign the contract, and don't read the contract. Well guess what, in the store we always explain all the things in detail so that you don't have any surprises coming at you. Once you sign your name, that means you understand the contract.

So if after a couple of months you get annoyed because things happen to your bill (that are explained when you sign, such as fees and what not) you should point the finger to yourself rather than the companies.

These companies have a business to run, just like you have a business with your website.
    So as a business man, I would hope that you understand how this stuff works.

You really make yourself look bad here

Cheers,

Dutch

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Dobber, you may now about hockey, but in regards to this you look like a big fool
    Please...tell me why, Dutch.

what the hell do you think a contract means? Exactly just that, you should consider yourself lucky to have the option to buy out a contract, because sometimes that option doesn't exist...
    Dumb statement. If the option didn't exist, I wouldn't have signed the original contract.

the 400 dollar cancellation fee is nothing compared to the remaining monthly bills you have to pay.
    Cancellation fee was $280. I don't have to pay remaining monthly bills. The percentage of the portion of remaining bills that I have to pay is about $100. And this part of the contract I did not sign, nor was I informed about. Stop taking my joke literally. Hmmm...that gets me thinking - maybe you are just joking with all this much like my post was joking. Okay, I take it all back - none of these statements are dumb. Ha ha good joke, Dutch well played.

You want to get the newest phones and technology for the lowest prices. Well to do so, you are gonna have to sign a contract. For the same reason, you can't finance a mercedes for a good price without them gonna hunt you down if you don't pay your monthly charges.
    Didn't read the entire thread, eh? I do that sometimes. I said my phone was a piece of shit and I later said I would like to pay $2000 for a phone in order to avoid future contracts. Hardly a "lowest price".

I wonder if you have lived in a cave the last decades, and since the move last week you finally realize how it all works?
    Yes. Cave.

The contracts, and frustrated customers is not only with the wireless industry, it's with any company that deals with contracts (for example, furniture stores, credit card companies)
    Preaching to the choir. I'm not sure where our disconnect is...maybe you started reading this thread, went over to the Dora the Explorer site and read up on some of her crazy adventures with her friend boots, and then came back to this thread for a few more sentences...then you looked at some flyers from the Brick...then finished off this thread and got everything mixed up.

You are probably one of those customers that I get in the store (i work for rogers) that just wants to get his shit, sign the contract, and don't read the contract. Well guess what, in the store we always explain all the things in detail so that you don't have any surprises coming at you. Once you sign your name, that means you understand the contract.
    Wrong. You are way off. I thought you read my last Rogers rant about three weeks ago? It's in the "other" forum. Rogers customer service said this to me, and I quote her exact words: "Wow - thank you so much for being so nice to me. With everything you've been through, you have been speaking to me so calmly. I just want you to know that I appreciate that."
    To assume makes...well, you know. I can see how you'd jump to that conclusion. I was in retail and I would have jumped to the same conclusions reading this thread after dealing with all the dummy customers. I really want to assure you that the contract was explained to me, and I was a very calm and polite gentleman throughout this process. The contract in question was one thrust upon me without my being notified, over the phone, 19 months into the contract that I did sign.

So if after a couple of months you get annoyed because things happen to your bill
    17 months. Not a "couple". And not annoyed at Rogers, but at my wife. Rogers was very good to change it. Geez, eh to suck the funny out of a half-joke thread.

(that are explained when you sign, such as fees and what not) you should point the finger to yourself rather than the companies.
    Again - not the same contract. Please read the thread in the "other" section. This current thread was for everyone else, but those who work for Rogers or Bell will probably need the background of my initial thread.

These companies have a business to run, just like you have a business with your website.
    So as a business man, I would hope that you understand how this stuff works.
    You know I do. As someone said in an earlier post above, there is a way to make money and make this win-win for the customer.

You really make yourself look bad here
    I'll get over it.

Cheers,
    With beers. Definitely.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi